Observations Concerning Community Warfare

252 replies to this topic

#81 pyrometer

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostRaiek, on 08 June 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

I would like to add on something that I find relevant:

One of the more fundamental and intriguing aspects of Eve is that there is a written history by the community-- the sheer complexity and audacity (Band of Brothers [BoB]) of some corporations that dramatically changed the structure of 0.0 space was interesting and dramatic enough that it exists in text form, and even makes for an interesting read. I would love to see MWO have a similar lasting appeal.

With persistent PvP, these rewards (and risks, as BoB eventually found out after they gave up claiming sovereignty, and forged on with a 'slash and burn' policy) absolutely need to be significant and relatively static-- long enough that a defending 'guild' within MWO can at least hope to respond within ~24 hours.

One of the larger issues with Planetside came down to population spikes and server flooding. Clans would spontaneously take over battlefields and edge out their competitors by maxing out (their) population spots in an area, and lock out other players for an indefinite period of time. This had been addressed, but shouldn't have been a problem to begin with.

Ultimately, the ability of one clan to bring about a superior force due to region time differences should not be the defining factor when taking over territory. It needs to take long enough that a response at least has the opportunity to develop, even if it is insufficient.

Also, as I recall, Goonswarm was instrumental in kicking the bajeezus out of BoB back in the day with a sniper fleet. I could be wrong, but if you took part, epic kudos.

Not snipers, man - Rifters. Sesfan is #1

#82 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Personally I'm glad GOONS are here, I like what they do in EVE and I have no qualms with them here.

As for the no "spying" thing how many folks in WoT use the mod to see everyone's battle stats? Hell my last two clans have used the simple tools of finding out how many Tier X's a clan could bring into a fight to help plan our attacks. Things like that could be considered "spying" in some books and is most deffinetly the "meta" game as it's not what you see "in the fight" but it does directly effect the battle.

Honestly the more Mechwarrior the better, especially since I can't play as much as I'd like. :blink:

#83 Draxern

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostGozer, on 08 June 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Personally I'm glad GOONS are here, I like what they do in EVE and I have no qualms with them here.

As for the no "spying" thing how many folks in WoT use the mod to see everyone's battle stats? Hell my last two clans have used the simple tools of finding out how many Tier X's a clan could bring into a fight to help plan our attacks. Things like that could be considered "spying" in some books and is most deffinetly the "meta" game as it's not what you see "in the fight" but it does directly effect the battle.

Honestly the more Mechwarrior the better, especially since I can't play as much as I'd like. :blink:

Urrr that more cheating then spying. Why not just run a mod to auto aim or a mod to shoot through walls while your at it.

Sigh !

But does bring up an interesting point how much policeing of third part programs will there be as they can quickly reduce a game to a pile of dung fast.

Edited by Draxern, 08 June 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#84 Lilli

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

More on topic, my biggest concern is your point about making territory worth fighting over. Not that I disagree with the base idea of the point, but as someone said earlier, I don't want to establish significant power differentials because people aren't part of a clan that controls x or y. It shouldn't limit people's access to content in the game. I am perfectly fine with giving players c bills (or even x bills or whatever), plastering their name all over, heaping on the prestige, whatever you want. Just don't make it so it gives them access to power boosting content that other players can't use since it can ruin a lot of the fun for the people who just want to play quick matches.

#85 Numlock1776

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Eve Goons are considered filth even by other goons. Also you have nothing to worry about as any Eve Goon lead clan will self destruct in a matter of weeks due to internal drama.

#86 ErrorlessErik

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostDraxern, on 08 June 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

Urrr that more cheating then spying. Why not just run a mod to auto aim or a mod to shoot through walls while your at it.

Sigh !

But does bring up an interesting point how much policeing of third part programs will there be as they can quickly reduce a game to a pile of dung fast.

Oh no they can see my stats, now they know how bad I am at tanks. You cheaters!

#87 Draxern

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

I was thinking that house faction politicals landscape could have house wide benefits more then pure guild benefits for occuping planets. More like DAOC model then a darkfall model.

#88 Harabec Weathers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons, Mars

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostNumlock1776, on 08 June 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Eve Goons are considered filth even by other goons. Also you have nothing to worry about as any Eve Goon lead clan will self destruct in a matter of weeks due to internal drama.

Nah, I think EVE goons are hilarious, love reading the stories every few months. Self Destruction happens occasionally, but we always put ourselves back together. The only thing that kills us is boredom, and even then we usually just make our own fun.

Anyways, as the adorable Mittens said, This topic is not about Goons! Let's get back to what the OP said. If we must discuss those Boogeymen the Goons, let's make a new thread for it, shall we?

#89 Draxern

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostErrorlessErik, on 08 June 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Oh no they can see my stats, now they know how bad I am at tanks. You cheaters!

Clever eddie its using a third party software which allows you to do something someone without it cant so you gain a tactical avantage over force your going to engage.

Yes so pretty much cheating......

Is there a line to using third party software ? is winning hacking your account and deleteing it. Or is that unfair ???? is the only limit what YOU enjoy rather then whats good for the game as a whole.....

Edited by Draxern, 08 June 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#90 Seadogs

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

So glad to see everyone jumping on to MWO, so many familiar faces I haven't seen since I got sick of EVE.

#91 wargames

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostDraxern, on 08 June 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Clever eddie your using a third party software which allows you to do something someone without it cant so you gain a tactical avantage over force your going to engage.

So using a program to grather publicly available stats that everyone can see anyways is cheating?

#92 Numlock1776

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

This thread was posted by a goon becuase he knew it would become a thread about goons so there already is a thread about goons.

This is that thread.

#93 ErrorlessErik

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

Clever eddie your using a third party software which allows you to do something someone without it cant so you gain a tactical avantage over force your going to engage.

A mod everyone has access to and does not change any of the actual gameplay or balance...

Edited by ErrorlessErik, 08 June 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#94 Harabec Weathers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons, Mars

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostNumlock1776, on 08 June 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

This thread was posted by a goon becuase he knew it would become a thread about goons so there already is a thread about goons.

This is that thread.

If he didn't have the lowtax banner and if he had used phrases like "My EVE Corporation" instead of "Goonswarm" I reckon petty much all of you guys wouldn't be complaining at all. You wouldn't even be able to tell if he was a Goon.

You're just discriminating, what he says is perfectly valid regardless of his clan, allegience or any other kind of label.

Edited by Harabec Weathers, 08 June 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#95 Numlock1776

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Its like a battle before a battle but IN YOUR MIND!!!!

Its like you have already killed him *points at head* in here!!!

See: http://www.youtube.c...F7DGcVcsc#t=43s

Edited by Numlock1776, 08 June 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#96 ErrorlessErik

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Clever eddie its using a third party software which allows you to do something someone without it cant so you gain a tactical avantage over force your going to engage.

Is there a line to using third party software ? is winning hacking your account and deleteing it. Or is that unfair ???? is the only limit what YOU enjoy rather then whats good for the game as a whole.....

Show me on the doll where the bad cheaters touched you

#97 Merrik Stryfe

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

Isn't any talk of goonswarm here irrelevent? IIRC they're a pretty game-specific entity, playing tactics by those game-specific rules. Not sure how "GOONSWARM PWND BOB" has any bearing on MWO (although those exploits make for hilarious reading). The OP specifically says that MWO is a completely different game that should not copy wholesale things other games are doing, s/he is just recognizing general principles that work for multiple MMO games.

Which brings me to the On-Topic part of the post wherein I congratulate PringlesPCan't ( i see what u did there) on a superb analysis of game systems and mechanics. Seriously well thought out and I feel smarter and more educated for having read it. Thank you. :blink:

#98 ErrorlessErik

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostMerrik Stryfe, on 08 June 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

Isn't any talk of goonswarm here irrelevent? IIRC they're a pretty game-specific entity, playing tactics by those game-specific rules. Not sure how "GOONSWARM PWND BOB" has any bearing on MWO (although those exploits make for hilarious reading). The OP specifically says that MWO is a completely different game that should not copy wholesale things other games are doing, s/he is just recognizing general principles that work for multiple MMO games.

Which brings me to the On-Topic part of the post wherein I congratulate PringlesPCan't ( i see what u did there) on a superb analysis of game systems and mechanics. Seriously well thought out and I feel smarter and more educated for having read it. Thank you. :blink:

Thanks I did some of the proofreading :wub:

#99 Death Mallet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Unfortunately, WoT has a pretty boring strategic game and it leads to a lot of stagnation and allied clans not attacking each other or throwing games because its mutually beneficial for them to do so. I was a member of a fairly successful clan for a while but ultimately dropped out of it because the game wasn't really about conquest, it was just about preserving the existing land and gold income.

I don't think WoT has much to offer in the way of positive lessons for the strategic game.

I do like what I've read so far about the loyalty point system. I'll be very interested to learn more about that and see what they do with it.

#100 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Original post and ideas: Cool

Thread where people freak out about how the Goons are gonna come and take all their stuff: Priceless

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users