Observations Concerning Community Warfare

252 replies to this topic

#21 ZekeTheZealot

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Honestly, this post was so well written that there is absolutely nothing i can add to it that would feel at all relevant. I agree with Garth, well written and very well thought out.

I would love to see how deep we can push the territorial lines. Imagine, through warfare, the Rasalhauge lines pushed back to the small handful of planets they had post-clan invasion... before the invasion even begins. Or the Federated Suns forced back to naught but their capital and a few other key points due to joint warfare by the Combine and the Capellans. A level of in-depth meta-gaming like that would be an amazing thing to behold and be a part of.

Edit: Okaysomaybe there was something i could say that would be relevant. Whatever!

Edited by ZekeTheZealot, 08 June 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#22 Proteaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I am happy goons are comming , it makes for a target rich enviorment.

#23 wargames

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 08 June 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

P.S IF this game isn't interesting to GOONS, I think it's safe to say we can hold a parade that day.
Guilty by association.

You assume GOONS only like one type of game which is false. I mean if it isn't interesting to GOONS who are 160,000 members strong who says it will be interesting to anyone else. I think you are letting your perceptions of goonswarm blind you to goons as a whole.

#24 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostZekeTheZealot, on 08 June 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Honestly, this post was so well written that there is absolutely nothing i can add to it that would feel at all relevant. I agree with Garth, well written and very well thought out.

I would love to see how deep we can push the territorial lines. Imagine, through warfare, the Rasalhauge lines pushed back to the small handful of planets they had post-clan invasion... before the invasion even begins. Or the Federated Suns forced back to naught but their capital and a few other key points due to joint warfare by the Combine and the Capellans. A level of in-depth meta-gaming like that would be an amazing thing to behold and be a part of.

Edit: Okaysomaybe there was something i could say that would be relevant. Whatever!

The only way I can see something like that intriguing those strategic players is a robust supply system, factories on planets, manufacturing, costs going through the roof if you start losing said factories and players, depending on their rank, able to drop special rank missions on planets for certain benefits.

I would even love a system where a Faction can even "buy out their stock" on existing weapons until they are replensihed by the system or retaking new factories, missions objectives applying stock bonuses if they are completed.
^^^^^
I don't see the above happening because restricting people from buying what weapon or mech they want won't ever happen.

Open access for everyone at all times.

#25 wargames

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 08 June 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

The only way I can see something like that intriguing those strategic players is a robust supply system, factories on planets, manufacturing, costs going through the roof if you start losing said factories and players, depending on their rank, able to drop special rank missions on planets for certain benefits.

I would even love a system where a Faction can even "buy out their stock" on existing weapons until they are replensihed by the system or retaking new factories, missions objectives applying stock bonuses if they are completed.
^^^^^
I don't see the above happening because restricting people from buying what weapon or mech they want won't ever happen.

Open access for everyone at all times.

I would really like it if you read lesson 5 again along with the advice.

#26 Proteaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

With goons arriving you can bet they will be infiltrating the other clans , houses , etc . From other games I have seen
them in they do anything to win. Is team killing going to be allowed incase there are goons on my team in the random
battles.

Edited by Proteaus, 08 June 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#27 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postwargames, on 08 June 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

You assume GOONS only like one type of game which is false. I mean if it isn't interesting to GOONS who are 160,000 members strong who says it will be interesting to anyone else. I think you are letting your perceptions of goonswarm blind you to goons as a whole.

well I'm sure there are some "not so bad" terrorists out there as well. Their buddies tend to ruin the brand though.

I'll go back and read again, I just saw too much "In EVE".

We'll play EVE fo what's in EVE and play MWO for what's in MWO.

#28 Arzachel

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 08 June 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

.....EVE is a sandbox. This isn't.

I like high risk games, but the gamers who demand such functions in any game they are interested in are selfish and a vocal minority.

I'm pretty sure many of us have dumped countless hours into Day of Defeat or Team Fortress Classic. A perfect example of amazing games with ZERO risk or reward and still being played by the thousands.

P.S IF this game isn't interesting to GOONS, I think it's safe to say we can hold a parade that day.
Guilty by association.

Except that the structure to appeal to both groups is already there.
Want to play TF2 with mechs? Join a House. Want an engaging metagame and goals to work towards? Join a company. With proper implementation everyone would be satisfied.

Edited by Arzachel, 08 June 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#29 Coldgrim

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

awsome post, I want to add another F2P game that has a simular global conquest aspect to the game, and thats global agenda, its a 3rd person shooter type game but the 10v10 matches for areas to control on a large scale map with some areas of richer rewards are alike to what your talking about, only problem with it was haveing the best of the best in one agency left us very bored and if we just took everything it was like people just stop playing so we had to control the game so we could still play, it might sound silly but it can happen, and probly will. I know I enjoyed playing with people of the same gamming ability.
But again great post and I hope some of what you have said will be in this game.

#30 Raiek

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

I would like to add on something that I find relevant:

One of the more fundamental and intriguing aspects of Eve is that there is a written history by the community-- the sheer complexity and audacity (Band of Brothers [BoB]) of some corporations that dramatically changed the structure of 0.0 space was interesting and dramatic enough that it exists in text form, and even makes for an interesting read. I would love to see MWO have a similar lasting appeal.

With persistent PvP, these rewards (and risks, as BoB eventually found out after they gave up claiming sovereignty, and forged on with a 'slash and burn' policy) absolutely need to be significant and relatively static-- long enough that a defending 'guild' within MWO can at least hope to respond within ~24 hours.

One of the larger issues with Planetside came down to population spikes and server flooding. Clans would spontaneously take over battlefields and edge out their competitors by maxing out (their) population spots in an area, and lock out other players for an indefinite period of time. This had been addressed, but shouldn't have been a problem to begin with.

Ultimately, the ability of one clan to bring about a superior force due to region time differences should not be the defining factor when taking over territory. It needs to take long enough that a response at least has the opportunity to develop, even if it is insufficient.

Also, as I recall, Goonswarm was instrumental in kicking the bajeezus out of BoB back in the day with a sniper fleet. I could be wrong, but if you took part, epic kudos.

#31 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostMjilaeck, on 08 June 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

All fawning aside, anyone who thinks that this post isn't pure gold should be drug into the street and shot.

Gold?! It's pure PLATINUM man!

#32 NargilFenris

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

As a WOTs player I agree with 100% of what the OP said. Also thank you for a very nice and well written post.

#33 PANZERBUNNY

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostArzachel, on 08 June 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

Except that the structure to appeal to both groups is already there.
Want to play TF2 with mechs? Join a House. Want an engaging metagame and goals to work towards? Join a company. With proper implementation everyone would be satisfied.

So you're saying a Merc company should have more integrated options regarding community than the Gigantic Factions which pay your bills?

Hasn't it been said that Merc units can only capture certain planets? (Unless by company you simply mean player group and not Merc Companies.)

The goal is to fight, take planets, earn C-bills, buy better weapons, experiment with mech lab and have fun.

In reference to # 5 and advice, I could see players part of a Faction "upgrading" planets by spending C-bills on them. Upgrading grants certain defensive missions which give the defenders a bonus and attackers obviously have a means to plant missions on planets that benefit them.

Imagine the conflict and crying that would happen when your unit pours MILLIONS of C-Bills into a planet only to have it scooped up late night or early morning.

People will complain there aren't enough safe guards in place to "protect their investment".

Quite a headache for little gain.

I would love a game like this with a grand strategic map with supplies and actual planning needed.(I.e WW2Online.) The thing with that type of game is, if it's implemented half assed, because it's beyond reach, it shows.

Edited by PANZERBUNNY, 08 June 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#34 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

It is important to remember that house factions will apparently have access to command features for higher ranked players, as PGI said something about them being able to steer the direction of the faction.

#35 Proteaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 08 June 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

It is important to remember that house factions will apparently have access to command features for higher ranked players, as PGI said something about them being able to steer the direction of the faction.

Then you can expect goons to be in all of the different factions, Seeing that post about goons in 0.0 in eve . If it wasnt for red alliance
the goons would still be sitting in empire space . They didnt defeat bob on the battlefield , they back doored them with a infiltrator.

#36 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostProteaus, on 08 June 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Then you can expect goons to be in all of the different factions, Seeing that post about goons in 0.0 in eve . If it wasnt for red alliance
the goons would still be sitting in empire space . They didnt defeat bob on the battlefield , they back doored them with a infiltrator.

Personally, I'm okay with that. That's the sort of interesting play that can make EVE so engaging. Its what makes EVE one of the most complex games in terms of the player-scape. Reading some of the EVE stories (such as the infiltrator that stole billions of ISK worth of blueprints and other such things from a corporation he had infiltrated into and became a high member in) really drives that home.

Edited by Orzorn, 08 June 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#37 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Another WoT reference I have to check this game out.

From the first time I played WoT, my opinion was.... If this game was battletech if would be made of win.

It has a few issues, but overall is a very fun game. My hope for MWO is that its just better all around.

#38 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

The goal is to fight, the Refs will decide if and when the planet changes hands and everything else that has been hinted at in this thread, factories, supply lines, improved fortifications, etc etc is stepping out of this game and into a Battletech RPG. I am a little surprised that no one has jumped up and started stomping around because of the other times anyone has even tried to mention an rpg aspect it's been flamed almost instantly. If player groups were able to start to take planets at random and change the historical battle lines on a whim then this wouldn't be MW:O, it would be a parallel universe with a mechwarrior type theme. Merc units making tons of money off a planet they are CONTRACTED to serve on will only find another merc unit sent to drive them out or kill them or if that fails maybe a full house unit arriving to show them the error of their ways. Remember House Units don't pay for repairs and Merc units only fight as long as they see profit, more than once in the history of this universe Mercs have thrown in the towel early in a battle because they can clearly see that they are out matched and if they stay the course they will lose their Mecs, their C-bills and maybe even their lives. Just like the Clans not playing like Clanners would, will the Mercs play like they should? one has to wonder.

About the OP, it's really well thought out and says many important things, I hope that in the future PGI will be able to impliment them in a follow up game to this one.

Suggestion;

Exodus Civil War, there have not been any clearly drawn battle histories or battle maps shown for that war which spanned atleast 2 decades. You could have the pentagon worlds changing hands every day if you like because at the end of it all, when Nicholas Kerensky comes back with the first generation of the Clans he cleans house and sets it all up how he wants it to be. That could be a completely player driven game that allows for alliances, defensive pacts, joint operations, some areas being more valuable than others (Decomissioned Starleague Caches set around that entire area of space) and could allow for aerospace asset integration or full on warship combat to take place.

the strength of the BT universe is that so much has been writen about it that it's a living breathing place, the weakness is that so much has been writen about it but a large percentage has never been filled out with follow on stories. It's in these weaknesses that inventive gaming companies can strike gold and players can bask in fullness, richness and full out imersion if they so choose.

well, that's my 2cents worth. Flame On.

#39 The Mittani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

If you disagree with this post, you are wrong.

And yes, Goons are in MWO just as in every other game that exists. In MWO, we will initially be Liao-aligned.

#40 Cidrich Syslet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

OP, is what I think most of the veteran players that have been waiting for 10+ years for a new MW want. I know that I am excited to see this game come out and I would love to see some kind of massive scale for involvement beyond the 15 v. 15 matches. I have played WoT's and I must say that only having the quick matches looses it's appeal after a while. So anything that hints of a grander scale excites me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users