81 replies to this topic

#41 UrAllJerks

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostFelio, on 29 July 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Anyone have any suggestions for an XL 360 build? I have the need for speed.

I know the QKD doesn't have the armor to brawl, so it needs long-range options. That probably means either large lasers and SRMs or medium lasers and LRMs, no?

EDIT:

For example:

QKD-4G

QKD-4H

Someone on page 1 posited that the 4G had only the dubious advantage of being able to run two additional (1-ton) jumpjets. This, to my knowledge, is incorrect, as in the patch notes for the Quickdraw release the 4G is listed as having a 33% faster arm speed move rate as well as a larger range of facing for both the torso and the arms than the other two variants. If true, this makes the 4G the best suited for fitting a large engine, as drive-by style tactics are more effective with larger twist ranges and speeds.

Here's a source for the above assertions: http://www.nogutsnog...php?topic=355.0

The build I run on the 4G uses an XL360, two large lasers in the torso, SRM10, and medium lasers in the arms. I've seen quite a few builds on here throwing PPC's on the arms and that seems like a needless risk to me. Because the Quickdraw is so prone to being legged, I have peeled armor from the arms and left leg armor at maximum. So far this has worked well for me, as losing both arms amounts to losing just two medium lasers.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d74420ecc3e55fe

This build contains no jumpjets. A 55-ton mech may add jumpjets for 0.5 tons, while a 60-ton mech must use 1.0 ton jumpjets. Jumpjets are a pretty awful deal for 60-ton mechs: it would take 7 tons to give the 4G its full set. As a Dragon pilot, I am accustomed to not having them, and so this has not been an issue for me.

edit: For all my jumpjet hate above, I tried scaling down to an XL320 (you get one with the purchase of a Cicada 3M) and adding 5 jumpjets. It is perceptibly more sluggish, now moving around Hunchback speeds. However, I think the mobility added from the 5 jumpjets makes up for this. It comes down to personal playstyle whether you'd prefer to go 107 k/h or go 95 k/h but be able to circumvent hills, buildings, hop over enemy mechs, and so forth.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0029f96d6d3e0db

Edited by UrAllJerks, 01 September 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#42 Testament

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

my 4h

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eeb47a4edb13061

dual ll, 3 srm4, 2 ml. with jj and 89.2 speed elited. runs very hot but i can pump out constant srm fire and ll dps. ll and srm all fire one at a time to slow heat build. 500+ dmg a match without trying full armor.

fire set 1 ll backspaced
fire set 2 is ml dual fire
fire set 3 is 3 srm4 backspaced.

great brawler in tight spaces while targets are focused on others and can take enough of a beating to **** when needed.

#43 Voidrazor

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

Actually, I'm surprised that MOST Quickdraw builds don't feature XL360's. IMO, being a heavy that can move at over 100 kph is what makes the mech stand out.

This was my pre-patch build. Not a lot of firepower overall, but its concentrated.
QKD-5K

With the PPC nerf, I'm playing with this. Not sure that I'm happy with it, but that's mostly because I suck at keeping standard lasers on target.
QKD-5K

I'm probably going to pick up an H variant in the next few days. This is the current theoretical build.
QKD-4H

I hadn't considered a G variant, since at these speeds a single jump jet will get you over canyon-sized obstacles. I realized that the G can twist farther, though. That does seem like a significant advantage. At the very least, having to get the third variant to unlock elite skills won't seem like a waste now.

#44 UrAllJerks

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

My Quickdraw preference continues and this has been my most successful build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e7437a920f77db

I never used PPC's before the nerf because I found the 2xPPC, 1xGauss meta to be uninventive but now that everyone hates PPC's i figured I would give it a shot. I'd recommend the enhanced zoom module. It actually does not run too hot, allowing for perpetual PPC firing on most maps. I got over 1000 damage with this build the third match I played it. More importantly, the near-identical point of origin on the two PPC's allows one to place the damage in the same spot.

I've run the two builds listed here and above predominantly on the 4G and 5k:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by UrAllJerks, 11 September 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#45 Claive

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

I love jumpy ERLL. Three of them is just icing on the cake.
QKD-4H

#46 Diamond Jim

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

4H "Squirrel Chaser"

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb34416b05137f8

#47 greywolf79

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCedar City, UT

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone come up with decent builds with the newest patches and qiurks?

#48 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

talking about them some here http://mwomercs.com/...ickdraw-builds/

#49 greywolf79

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCedar City, UT

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thank you.

#50 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Just bought Mastery pack of QKD on a whim.

This thread is mega old. Need some updated loadouts, there isn't anything on the forums about this mech lately.

I ran the (C) stock, for one match, and got 450 dmg in a loss, so I might leave that one(i am good with ppc anyway). But if some one has an outstanding loadout for that one, I am all ears.

The last variant is on sale this weekend also, so it is highly likely I will buy it. That means i will have all of the variants. So, hit me QKD masters- show me your moves!

#51 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

View PostEldagore, on 26 January 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

This thread is mega old. Need some updated loadouts, there isn't anything on the forums about this mech lately.

I ran the (C) stock, for one match, and got 450 dmg in a loss, so I might leave that one(i am good with ppc anyway). But if some one has an outstanding loadout for that one, I am all ears.

The last variant is on sale this weekend also, so it is highly likely I will buy it. That means i will have all of the variants. So, hit me QKD masters- show me your moves!

Well big XL engine helps the QKD-4G a lot,XL340 is pretty much optimal in the champion build and 5K-builds.

XL340 + 3JJ:s + endosteel + 400 armor + 2 PPC,2MPL rest heatsinks.
For 5K 1JJ + endosteel + 2LL 4 ML.

You can do a 4 ER LL sniper in the 4G,it has good range quirks,use XL300 in that.

#52 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:11 PM

View PostEldagore, on 26 January 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

I'm actually kinda sorry you did this. The IV-4's hardpoints, hardpoint locations, and engine rating are a terrible match for the chassis, weapon mount locations, component sizes, and agility setup of the Quickdraw- while it's not unusable, it's got a hardpoint setup that would go far, far better on something not so.... huegblokky.

General consensus is that the IV-4 is one of those hero 'mechs where you're better off running a standard variant. It's very difficult to get decent performance out of arm ballistics and a small engine with a QKD.

That said, my Quickdraw builds haven't actually changed notably from the addition of quirks. My QKD-4H Blotter takes plenty of advantage of the quirks already (although some would switch the 6-rack in the LT for a 4-rack, which I contemplate doing now and then), and while the QKD-4G Longshot only gets half benefit from most of its quirks, since it doesn't use the prescribed weaponry, the whole point of the thing is to be an odd duck that leaps into strange places to begin with. I wouldn't recommend copying the Longshot, but the Blotter is very much well suited for what Quickdraws are really for.

#53 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 26 January 2015 - 11:11 PM, said:

I'm actually kinda sorry you did this. The IV-4's hardpoints, hardpoint locations, and engine rating are a terrible match for the chassis, weapon mount locations, component sizes, and agility setup of the Quickdraw- while it's not unusable, it's got a hardpoint setup that would go far, far better on something not so.... huegblokky.

General consensus is that the IV-4 is one of those hero 'mechs where you're better off running a standard variant. It's very difficult to get decent performance out of arm ballistics and a small engine with a QKD.

That said, my Quickdraw builds haven't actually changed notably from the addition of quirks. My QKD-4H Blotter takes plenty of advantage of the quirks already (although some would switch the 6-rack in the LT for a 4-rack, which I contemplate doing now and then), and while the QKD-4G Longshot only gets half benefit from most of its quirks, since it doesn't use the prescribed weaponry, the whole point of the thing is to be an odd duck that leaps into strange places to begin with. I wouldn't recommend copying the Longshot, but the Blotter is very much well suited for what Quickdraws are really for.

Well....

I put dual guass on my IV-4 lol. 6 tons of ammo, XL255 that I had laying around. I might drop a ton of ammo for more leg armor, last match a light mech wolfpack stripped it off right quick, but we will see. IMO, it runs this loadout fine so far, not the best I have tried it on but people don't expect it. My backup plan is either twin AC5 with a cooldown module once i get elites unlocked, or twin AC10 and a bigger engine. But eh, I can usually find something to make any mech wreck face. Just got to pin down the reliability part of it.

The (C) variant, I left stock. So far in a half dozen matches I am getting at least 350 dmg, usually 400+, but it feels team reliant, it doesnt fare in a brawl well enough and gets cornered sometimes late match. I will mess with this more, might switch to the quad LL ideas above.

The other one, I slapped an XL330 I had around on it, 4 JJ, 6MPL and the rest DHS till I couldnt fit anymore. Only one match, on a completely disfunctional PUG team on canyon. shy of 400 dmg, but I almost, I mean almost, took down a fresh DWF with a 50% mech using the JJ and cliff side it was near to keep altering my elevations on him which messed his aim up. Unfortunatly, with no basics at all, I wasn't quite agile enough, and the heat skills would have been nice too. 6MPL, on chainfire, is a non stop barrage, and with 1.4 heat efficiency with all those DHS, I completely stripped a ST off him while he tried to line up a shot on me before I ducked behind a rock to cool for a few seconds. IMO, I think there is some solid potential as a second line clean up brawler/fire support flanker mech on this one, but I need some basics, and i might drop a JJetc to try to up to a XL350. As it is, I left the ferro on because I ran out of slots and tonnage at the same time. With a bigger engine I would go endo and gain an internal slot. The laser vomit is real, and the 5K has it in spades.

I havent picked up the H yet, I like the look of the SRM loadout above, but with 3 missile points, even a sucky CT one, can the mech run enough LRM to be valid? I dont mean as a main weapon LRM boat, but as a second weapon to go with, I dunno, 4ML or a pair of LL or something? On "lighter" LRM mechs, with smaller tube counts, I tend to run and gun with LRM at almost brawl range(like 300M) as a support to a fatty mech. get LOS on the enemy, the smaller launchers fire more often for screen shake purposes, and I can just hold down the LRM button while i am pasting lasers into him too. Can the quickie play like that? or are the tonnage/tube count/ hardpoints just not good enough? I am thinking like two tens and a 5 maybe, but havent run it through smurfy yet.

#54 Diablo Intercepter

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

This is a very good guide on the quickdraw, it goes over each of the variants with multiple builds with in depth analysis of each build. Check it out: http://metamechs.com...ides/quickdraw/

#55 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:25 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 26 January 2015 - 11:11 PM, said:

Yep,its sad that it was designed specifically so that it cant do PPC+AC or Gauss-meta,

Before the quirks hit in,i had some success with dual UAC:s,dual SRM4:s and XL255.Also the IV-4 is the best Quickdraw LRM-boat,you can cram 2 LRM10:s with decent amount of ammo,AC10 and 2 medium lasers in it with XL255.

Now im settled in Gauss + 2 SRM6;s + 2 ML:s 2JJ:s or 2 AC5:s with only one JJ

Also the torsotwist in the IV-4 is horribad so it cant brawl

Edited by Cookiemonter669, 28 January 2015 - 01:27 AM.

#56 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 28 January 2015 - 01:25 AM, said:

Yep,its sad that it was designed specifically so that it cant do PPC+AC or Gauss-meta,

Why are you putting words in my mouth?

I'm referring to the unsuitability of a low engine cap for a machine of the Quickdraw's size and extra-large movement profile, and the fact that the arm-mounted ballistics put the thereby main cannons in extremely vulnerable positions- the arms on a Quickdraw are excellent for shielding you, but come off pretty easily even with the boosted durability from quirks. This latter only ceases to apply if you don't -use- the arm ballistic mounts (or use them only for machine guns) at which point you've largely defeated the purpose of having a QKD with ballistic mounts- anything it can do aside from using ballistics, the 4H can do better, thanks to having one more missile hardpoint, two more energy hardpoints, and all energy hardpoints mounted in locations with multiple free critical hit slots (thereby allowing the use of mixed Medium and Large lasers, for instance).

You can work it okay against really heavy or really slow things like the larger assaults, but anyone with a decent rate of fire is going to be dropping shot into you constantly as long as you're exposed with a QKD. It's a very big target, which is only properly compensated for if you are either leveraging the shoulder hardpoints (which the IV-Four can't do except at close range thanks to having missiles there) or moving and jumping rather quickly (which the IV-Four can't do thanks to its low engine cap).

I could see AC/10s working somewhat- or LB10-X- just because of shoot-twist-shoot, but anything that keeps you constantly facing a target in the long term in a Quickdraw (namely, smaller autocannon) is going to get you cored against anyone who knows what they're doing fighting it- though the reduced engine cap is the main hindrance here.

As far as LRM boating, the IV-four only has one more tube total than the 4H does, and its only noteworthy missile advantage is being able to mount double LRM-20s and have no trailing stream of missiles (as opposed to a 4H with 2x10+1x20, which would launch 19-19-2 instead of the 20-20 of a dual-20-rack IV-Four).

While I can understand not mounting the ballistics in the side torsos (since everyone and their kid brother would have just made it another Boom-Heavy) restricting the engine rating was really not warranted and is the primary reason the IV-Four has to be run as though it were another, shorter and less wide 'mech. We don't currently have another Inner Sphere 60-ton jumping ballistic-wielding 'mech, but once we do, I wouldn't expect the IV-Four to show up any more at all.

As far as using LRMs on a 4H goes- it's not very well suited. The center torso hardpoint only has four tubes, and the armpit left torso one has five (while the main left torso hardpoint tops out at 10). While this isn't too bad if you're inclined towards steady small barrages that eat AMS ammo but don't get through the umbrella very well, if you're trying to shoot at an enemy amongst a group it's not going to be very useful.

As an added consideration, the rack tonnage plus ammo tonnage on a decent three-hardpoint LRM setup is a little harsh for something that wants a heavy engine like the QKD- I'm sure it can be done if you want to run LRMs and Medium Lasers, but I wouldn't try it as a serious thing- more of a 'do this on a lark' like I did with my 4G, setting it up as a hilltop missile/ERLL sniper. And I freely acknowledge that my 4G QKD is not a very good build. I'll probably go back and revise it into something else eventually.

If you've really got your heart set on using LRMs, I'd recommend a more mixed loadout, akin to the base loadout of a typical Quickdraw, with some LRMs and some SRMs.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 29 January 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#57 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

5K is the best variant IMHO too. I run an XL360 with 2 LL in the arms and 4 ML in the torso.

Crobat and I have disagreed before about the IV-4. I've had pretty good success with 1 AC/10, 2 SRM4, and 2 MPL with max engine. It's still a little slower than I like, but it's the best config I've found for it. I still like the 5K better.

Jody

#58 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

So I've made a bit of a discovery......you ever try putting a standard engine in a quickdraw and torso twisting like mad to see what happens? Hilarity and surprising effectiveness.....that's what happens. Now granted I don't do Quickdraws in group queue or my team mates will throw a fit or make fun of me........but for the purposes of this challenge I grabbed a Quickdraw 5k, put a standard 340 on it, 6 medium lasers, 3 engine double heat sinks, two jumpjets, radar deprivation, speed retention, medium laser cooldown 5 mod, and medium laser range 5 mod, cool shot 6, arty strike, and went pugging..........the last 7 matches, 6 of them have been qualifiers, racking up 10 kills and breaking 600 damage 5 times and cracking 800 once. Again these are pug results.....and some people may say to just use an XL instead but I find that all three torsos on a quickdraw get popped pretty easy because I torso twist a good bit and so this makes me survive much more frequently. Ive even had a couple matches where my armor got below 30 percent and I was still standing, which as we all know is pretty damn hard to do in these tubs.

EDIT: my build philosophy was to take advantage of the energy heat generation quirk and ignore the PPC velocity buff because without a specific PPC heat generation quirk, PPCs are still entirely too hot for my taste. I also wanted to go at least 100 kph (this build does 101), ad I wanted to do a standard engine test to see if it increased survivability. Now this build is still a tad toasty because of the increased rate of fire for the mediums due to the cooldown mod, but you just have to practice with it and set up weapon groups besides an alpha strike that you can use. I have my arm lasers on one group, my torso lasers on another, and all 6 tied to a third button. When you get hot just use the arm lasers, run away, use a cool shot, or some combination of those three things.

As far as how to drive the thing......don't stay locked in a brawl especially not if theres a bunch of stormcrows and clan **** running around. Its kind of a hit and run mech like a blackjack 1x. You can brawl for short periods of time and then disengage (if you can). Torso twist like a total spaz. Run THROUGH guys and keep going, and make sure you have support of team mates.

Edited by Rando Slim, 30 January 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#59 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

XL360 suits the Fat Jenner better imo,you can cram 20 DHS in there too.
But thats just my opinion.

#60 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

Yea Ive been alternating back and forth between the build I posted and an XL-350 with more heat sinks, AMS, and an srm 6 in addition to the 6 medium lasers. Wubdraws are cool too but the lack of range is frustrating.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users