Heavy Vs. The World Leaderboard Challenge!

128 replies to this topic

#41 Shrouder

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

Needless to say, these tournaments contain everything but teamplay.

Need an example? Here you go:

River City, me and my 3 lancemates go downtown, 4 mechs go uptown. One ***************** 4xERLL stalker stays at our base. He stayed at base the entire match. He waited for us to get all torn apart and played turret-warrior online.

Results:

He farmed the last mechs standing from our "normal" sniping/brawling, in the end he had like 4 kills an >600 dmg. The only time he moved was to position himself further away from the enemies enclosing. The last enemy Quickdraw was (I have to say, unfortunately!) too damaged to bring him down.

Do you have to do these challenges this way because IGP tells you so, PGI? They sponsor it because MCs are given away so they tell you what to do? It's a game based on teamplay, not on "Oh look I can killsteal faster with my PPC/LL/LRM-Whatever boat than you can kill with your totally viable SHS trial Atlas-RS.

I just don't understand how anyone can be so [redacted] to continue with these grinding-challanges. What is the advantage or the "joy" you want to bring in the game with these? And if you are just testing for your achievements coming in end of the year, is your conclusion that these tournaments are fun to play? In a "thinking man's shooter"?

Or are you just doing the last 2 for the heavies and lights so that all weight classes and player preferences are handeled equal? That's the only thing I could imagine to make actually sense.

- Solo-Weight-class challenges as they are do not encourage teamplay

- Solo-Weight-class challenges encourage exploiting like sync-drops, no interest in bringing the enemy down but blow everything but the head, CT and leg, intentionally leaving the rest of the team alone so you can tidy up the rest etc.

- Solo-Weight-class challenges will not help going further on the way to CW, your so-called "metagame", neither does it provide a good basis for new players: Trail-Mech? Sorry, AC40 Jager farming since 8 hours incoming. New Players get the idea that damage and kills are all that counts. Which is not and should never be the case.

I don't want to rant here, but to criticize. Would be great if we hear more background information from PGI about how you choose these tournaments, because at least to me they seem not very well planned and discussed.

Edited by Shrouder, 22 June 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#42 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostElVampiro, on 20 June 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Call me confused, but:

If it is 'Heavy vs the world', why are there non-heavy categories?

because its really "the world vs assults" and we represent the world :D

View PostAve Hax, on 21 June 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

OK is there no elo in effect here because i instantly went to fighting with complete newbs and well there went my first 20 games just to reset my elo back up seriously????

ELO is based on weight class, so it is entirely possible you haven't played enough matches (who uses meds anyway?!) to qualify for non-newbie ELO which is 25+ matchs iirc.

Edited by Asmosis, 22 June 2013 - 05:16 AM.

#43 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostShrouder, on 22 June 2013 - 03:18 AM, said:

He farmed the last mechs standing from our "normal" sniping/brawling, in the end he had like 4 kills an >600 dmg. The only time he moved was to position himself further away from the enemies enclosing. The last enemy Quickdraw was (I have to say, unfortunately!) too damaged to bring him down.

That's actually a perfectly valid tactic in the current tournament meta. (Yes I know its sad)

#44 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Lucky to meet good team vs the world.

#45 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

I participated in most of the previous leader board tournaments, and did not change my playing style, knowing that some of the great players would game the system and win. I just wanted to see (roughly) where I fit in the rankings. I had a couple of games where I dropped with some of the top players, which was cool, but only broke into the top 100 a couple of times. I'm OK with that. If it helps PGI get better at doing vents like this when we go live, then, great.

#46 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

The current points system is actually slanted to kills/assists instead of damage. If you miss an assist you have to MAKE IT UP with 450 dmg. It's much easier just to hit that last guy for 1 dmg and get the assist. As long as you're good at getting kills/assists this tournament is very accessible to anyone.

#47 Stinkeye

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDirectly under the sun .................................... ...................................now.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

I like this tourney as I feel I can run my normal set up, a Muromets with 2x gauss and three Mlasers. I'm not trying to pick parts off or get tons of damage. All I've been doing is trying to get kills as fast as I can, no pussyfoot'n around. Headshots on a full mech great, next. This is the most fun I've had in awhile playing MWO really.

Edited by Stinkeye, 22 June 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#48 Seddrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Play Solo.

Fine Print/Translation: Bang your face repeatedly against a rough brick wall, hoping and wishing in vain that your group will be sentient. Either that or get a group of 10+ and synch drop solo...

This game requires team play to succeed, eyt we have a solo competition, random teams ever single round,
no set servers so people can get with even a regular mix of players to learn to coordinate, a restriction on 8 mans so that they are effectively room temperature... Its random, random, random. Hence lots of frustration.

I've played for over 6 hours today (Saturday). Ive had maybe two drops that had organized teams out of I do not know how many that split, solo heroed, divided, died off one by one, etc. I got up to #7 for a while in one category, but TBH its just rediculously frustrating to try to excell in a team game, when teamwork is actually discouraged. I'm usually one of the few with kills while the whole team is wiped in these solo "matches".

I love competition, but its awfully hard to swim laps while being given 100 pounds of dead weight around your neck. I say this to PGI not as an attack, but so you can know what needs to be worked on to make this game better. I'd rather lose a well played team match, than suffer through this constant solo madness all the time.

Edited by Seddrik, 22 June 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#49 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

was just going to mess around with my mediums to qualify with 10 matches then see how i made out with my jagers after that. then i noticed i was 6th in mediums when i finally went to check so at that point i say the hell with the jagers and let's see where i can end up (i usually finish in the top 100-200 on these). got it up to 4th but dropped to 7th when i logged yesterday. came back today and was 30th. played a few hours and only managed to bump it back to 26th. those 1kill 3 assist 200-300ish damage normal games i seem to have settled into aren;t going to cut it. when i do get my 3 kill matches i end up dead and a team loss.

hopefully i can stay in the top 50- won;t be playing tomorrow at all. my best showing to date in these things.

#50 grayson marik

• Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

River City, me and my 3 lancemates go downtown, 4 mechs go uptown. One ***************** 4xERLL stalker stays at our base. He stayed at base the entire match. He waited for us to get all torn apart and played turret-warrior online.

Results:

Do you have to do these challenges this way because IGP tells you so, PGI? They sponsor it because MCs are given away so they tell you what to do? It's a game based on teamplay, not on "Oh look I can killsteal faster with my PPC/LL/LRM-Whatever boat than you can kill with your totally viable SHS trial Atlas-RS.

I just don't understand how anyone can be so [redacted] to continue with these grinding-challanges. What is the advantage or the "joy" you want to bring in the game with these? And if you are just testing for your achievements coming in end of the year, is your conclusion that these tournaments are fun to play? In a "thinking man's shooter"?

Or are you just doing the last 2 for the heavies and lights so that all weight classes and player preferences are handeled equal? That's the only thing I could imagine to make actually sense.

- Solo-Weight-class challenges encourage exploiting like sync-drops, no interest in bringing the enemy down but blow everything but the head, CT and leg, intentionally leaving the rest of the team alone so you can tidy up the rest etc.

- Solo-Weight-class challenges will not help going further on the way to CW, your so-called "metagame", neither does it provide a good basis for new players: Trail-Mech? Sorry, AC40 Jager farming since 8 hours incoming. New Players get the idea that damage and kills are all that counts. Which is not and should never be the case.

I don't want to rant here, but to criticize. Would be great if we hear more background information from PGI about how you choose these tournaments, because at least to me they seem not very well planned and discussed.

Aahhhwww well, look at it like this:

With out a proper Lobby, to set up one group vs an other and to to 1v1 up to 12v12 in such setup group matches... what should they do?

They simply denied themselves the infrastructure to do any real team-tournament.

And while writing this, I am under the impression that it is now almost to late to bring in such infrastructure because countless teams, guilds, chapters - what ever you call them, have dissolved during the last 1-4 months with this is becoming a single player game with online controlled bots to fight and gets away from BT more and more...

So simply put: They cannot do anything else than those single player thingies...their own system wont let them.

#51 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

Message for all you guys struggling or looking for inspiration to motivate you for your final push to secure places:

#52 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Woot, made it to first place in the mediums, now just gotta hang on to it :)

#53 Stinkeye

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDirectly under the sun .................................... ...................................now.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I've lost it...I went from tearing through mechs to being tore up! Fourth in my Muro is as good as I got :) For awhile there it seemed like I just could not miss and mechs were toppling like trees. I had a 5-3, a 6-2 and a 5-3 streak going and hadn't died in about five games..then I started trying too hard and it seems like I'm always the first one dead! Aggression is not always the best policy.

Edit for a grats Dude42, especially if the 42 is the meaning of life.

Edited by Stinkeye, 22 June 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#54 Straygo

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostXenroth, on 20 June 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Meh,
we had 1x Medium vs. the world, this is the 2nd Heavy vs. the world and we had 1x Assault vs. the world...

Where is the Light tournament? :)

If you havent noticed, MWO promotes Heavy /Assault mechs more than lights mediums... it shows with all the hero mechs and new mechs that come out. Last light me we got was the Spider, and that was MONTHS ago...

I agree, we need more light stuff going on. If you want lights in the game, give us something to do.

#55 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

As a devoted pure PUGger, I find the complaints of the team players interesting, particularly the complaints against PGI/IGP being "foolish" enough to keep running solo tournaments. In the complete absence of data, I'm going make two statements.

First, I assume that the goal of these tournaments, splashed across the front page next to "download now", is to bring in NEW PLAYERS, who are not going to be in teams.

Second, I assume that a substantial majority of the MWO player base (including the substantial majority of the paying player base) are PUGs, and the tournaments are an attempt to bring some of the spirit of an ongoing competition to the PUG base.

8v8 tournament ladders already give those players some broader measures of their performance. Solo-only tournaments supplies some context for the rest of us until there is some actual CW introduced.

EDIT: In Europe with the family for two weeks and the wife wouldn't let me buy a gaming portable after I saw the announcement "just so you can play your stupid game instead of being with your family". (I'm paraphrasing, but that's what she really meant. :) )

Edited by WVAnonymous, 22 June 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#56 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Let me know when you guys at PGI decide to award me for getting 6-7 head shots a match with sub 300 damage.

Sincerly, someone who can aim/doesn't just go for raw damage.

#57 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 22 June 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Let me know when you guys at PGI decide to award me for getting 6-7 head shots a match with sub 300 damage.

This.

#58 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 June 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Heavy mechs aren't just for driving to work, they're here to take on the world! Join our Heavy vs the World Leaderboard Challenge to win some great prizes and the glory of being the best on the leaderboard. If you opt-in to the challenge, from Friday 21 at 10:30am PDT to Sunday 23rd at 11:59pm PDT we'll be tallying your best 10 matches over the course of these three days in each of the following categories:
  • Any Light
  • Any Medium
  • Cataphract
  • Catapult
  • JagerMech
  • Dragon
  • Quickdraw
  • Any Assault
The pilot with the best 10 matches per category will receive 1925 ! MechWarriors in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place will be awarded 300 each.

<table cellpadding="5" cellspacing="5" align="center" class="table table-striped prizes">

<tr>

<th></td>
<th align="center">Light</th>
<th align="center">Medium</th>
<th align="center">Cataphract</th>
<th align="center">Catapult</th>
<th align="center">JagerMech</th>
<th align="center">Dragon</th>
<th align="center">Quickdraw</th>
<th align="center">Assault</th>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>1st</td>
<td align="right">1925 </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>2nd</td>
<td align="right">300 </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>3nd</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>4nd</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>5nd</td>

</tr>

</table>

Full formula:

Kills × 20 + Kill Assist × 15 + (Damage Done – Team Damage) ÷ 30 + Wins × 20 + Loss × 10 + Survive × 20 + Dead × 10

1st Tie-Breaker: Number of Matches Played (Less is better)
EG: My best 10 matches out of 20 is better than your best 10 matches out of 50
2nd Tie-Breaker: Team Damage (Less is better of course)
EG: My 10 best matches with 100 team damage total is better than your Best 10 matches with 150 team damage total.

Good luck everyone!

Posted Image

G'day Garth. I have a suggestion....How about you put into these announcements the fact of wether it is rated on SOLO play or not. There is no mention in this announcement so I opted in thinking it was like the recent challenges. Just a thought to make it a lot clearer for us. Have a good one mate.

#59 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 22 June 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

An assist is worth the same points as getting 450 damage, whine less and play more, they halved the contribution from damage for this tournament from the last, while upping the worth of assists by 50%. This tournament feels about right, try playing before you complain.

#60 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Results:

This post is nonsense. If you play like the Stalker in you example you dont get into the top 10. You need to participate in ALL kills of your team to get a great score. If you stay back and your team kills 1 or even 2 mechs without you, you wont get a top 10 score. Assists and kills are WAY more important than damage the way this tournament is set up. You only need damage on top of kills / assists to get to the very top.

Edited by Redoxin, 22 June 2013 - 04:22 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users