So... Goonswarm in the Capellan Confederation?

764 replies to this topic

#21 Grimhowl

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

View PostAdridos, on 09 June 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

Competitive players play by rules. You don't.

Competitive players rely on their skill. You rely on the number of people you brought with you.

Competitive players are those which most want to become. You are something everyone tries to avoid.

If everyone tried to avoid Goons, how would they be able to win through force of numbers? You seem a bit predjudiced. Did goons do something to you in the past? Did they catch you out alone one night and loosen your battles?

#22 latdheretic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

I haven't seen anything from goonswarm, stating where they intend to go, though I have seen posts by goonswarm members. I suspect that they will be in the mercenary company arena, and be a force to be reckoned with in that regard, but from a match to math basis, they are not going to be any different than any other player dedicated to the game.

Goonswarm activity here can't be anything but good for the game as a whole. I really don't see a problem here. I welcome them wherever they decide to land.

#23 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

View PostGrimhowl, on 09 June 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

If everyone tried to avoid Goons, how would they be able to win through force of numbers?

Did goons do something to you in the past? Did they catch you out alone one night and loosen your battles?

Well, new people have no idea who they are signing up with and are hapy they can have at least some sort of protection.

And Goonswarm never did anything to me, but they'll maybe do in a few months. ;)

#24 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Competitive players rely on their skill. You rely on the number of people you brought with you.

Competitive players are those which most want to become. You are something everyone tries to avoid.

Well they can't exactly zerg before as mentioned in an above comment... and as i said before, turning new leaf stuff. and as large a community as their's i'm sure they got plenty of skilled people mixed in there. And seeing as its a F2P game there will be an overabundance of unskilled people (kids *shudders*), goonswarm or no goonswarm. Winning in a premade vs premade mechwarrior online match seems to be more tactics oriented and if anything goonswarm seems to be fairly well organized.
If there must be noobs let us at least have the better of the noobs i say. ( not that i'm calling anyone noobs specifically)

Edited by Serevn, 09 June 2012 - 12:45 AM.

#25 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

The Mittani is his registration here - sure he started as flagged for FRR tbh but guess he's picked Liao to be the griefers of MWO.

Edited by Remarius, 09 June 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#26 redcynic

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Goons will always, ALWAYS show up in any Multiplayer game (well, AAA's mostly. I guess they hit AA games too). Seriously though, its not really a big deal. If you get matched up against a goon squad (lance?), take your loss gracefully and learn from it. Or, spend ten bucks and join them (not recommended for those with a conscience or any sense of internet morals. LOL, internet morals.)

EDIT: Griefing, just like Goons, will always be present in Multiplayer games as well. Please note the two are not synonymous, Goons usually curbstomp people cuz they actually bother to, y'know, work together? Anyway, griefing is part of Multiplayer culture now. Deal with it. To paraphrase an old meme, "Less QQ, more Pew Pew."

Edited by redcynic, 09 June 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#27 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

This is pretty hilarious. The only game I've ever played with goons has been Call of Duty, where we won by being better coordinated and better at watching each others backs than other teams. While the rest of the population was quick scoping and exploiting every loophole in the code, we were doing stuff like actually capturing points in domination games and calling out enemy positions.

I find it utterly ridiculous that there's people with your viewpoint, as it's based pretty much on what someone's friend once told you happened to their third cousin twice removed. Oh look, I've made a conjecture about you based on no evidence whatsoever.

#28 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:04 AM

View Postfil5000, on 09 June 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

I find it utterly ridiculous that there's people with your viewpoint.

Goonswarm started in the EVE Online. Their whole success was based on teh fact they recruited "every single" newbie in the game and stormed the thing of interest with them.

If that changed, then I'm sorry for my conjecture on you and you should really change your name. ;)

#29 Arzachel

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostSerevn, on 09 June 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

I would be careful about making fun of the Bushido thing... the Kuritas are pretty serious about it...

I could believe that people think Davions are "noble" and stuff do to only being exposed to MW4, but Kurita? All the Houses are a bunch of scheming dicks, I have no idea how someone at least slightly familiar with the lore could think otherwise.

View PostAdridos, on 09 June 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

Goonswarm started in the EVE Online. Their whole success was based on teh fact they recruited "every single" newbie in the game and stormed the thing of interest with them.

If that changed, then I'm sorry for my conjecture on you and you should really change your name. ;)

If all it took was numbers, reddit would've "won" EVE already.

Edited by Arzachel, 09 June 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#30 Raistel

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

Goonswarm has a mentality of "if the programming allows it, then it's a fair tactic". They take advantage of every exploit, will manipulate personal relationships, they will lie to your face. All in the name of winning the game. They bring to bear a significant amount of resources, have a solid infrastructure that if turned in your direction will pretty much roll over you.

Better hope there are no major programming/logistics flaws in the game. If there's a way to social engineer you, they will, a weapons imbalance they'll find it, an undocumented/unpatched exploit they'll find it and use it mercilessly.

They can (and will) remove all the fun from a game, simply so they can 'win'

#31 redcynic

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

Er...Lolno, Goonswarm was around b4 EVE, EVE just catapulted them to E-fame because HOLY **** THESE GUISE KILLED SOME DOOD IN A BIG *** SHIP WHO SPENT LIEK 5 BAJLLION REAL MONIES AND WAAAAH GET THESE MEANIE PKERS OUTTA MY HARDCORE PVP GAME

Edited by redcynic, 09 June 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#32 Hardcover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

Ah, the Goons. Also known as Gewnies, Goonz, the Swarm, and OH NO GOD BEES!

I've never had the (possibly dubious) pleasure of being on either side of a war involving them in EVE Online, but anyone that pays any attention at all to what goes on in that game has heard of them and probably has an opinion on them. Hell, I wrote a (for me) fairly expansive post on my EVE Online blog about them and their effect on the game. The Mittani is, I would contend, the front-runner if not the incumbent for the title of Magnificent ******* for EVE Online. And I give him whatever Internet points he deserves for that.

This having been said, the fact that the Swarm will be here in MechWarrior Online bothers me not a bit.

The Goons won't be able to use the blob tactics so many people have talked about here. Combat in MWO will not be like in EVE, where if things are going badly you can just hotdrop another fleet or three of supercapital ships. There are no reinforcements mid-match. There are no respawns mid-match, either, from my understanding. It's just however many 'Mechs you start with.

What the Goons will have are an outstanding support structure that few, if any, player units in this game will be able to match. Between guys that crunch numbers and generate strategy, a robust voice comms setup already in place, and practice at coordinated tactics that most of us will either have to work to achieve or dream of, they will make facing off against them an interesting experience, to say the least. I expect the Goons to try and trade on their rep, to intimidate all their opponents. I expect them to have a constantly-evolving stable of 'Mech designs that are constantly tweaked and refined to take advantage of every single game mechanic they can possibly twist to their advantage. Whatever works best is what they will use - save perhaps during drunken 'Mech nights, when they bring whatever they feel like and amuses them.

Again, I don't see how the Goons will have any advantage over everyone else that cannot, at least eventually, be made up for. As for the rest of it, I've tuned out Goon posts on game forums before. I can get back in the habit easily enough, I'm sure.

#33 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostGrimhowl, on 09 June 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Reputation holds little value? The entire basis of Inner Sphere warfare is dick-waving on a galactic scale. Probably wouldn't look good for the rest of you Liao types, though.

Doubt that. It's not of my concern what they do under which ever flag they will fly. This ain't EvE, and whatever they might have done there matters not.

View PostHardcover, on 09 June 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

What the Goons will have are an outstanding support structure that few, if any, player units in this game will be able to match. Between guys that crunch numbers and generate strategy, a robust voice comms setup already in place, and practice at coordinated tactics that most of us will either have to work to achieve or dream of, they will make facing off against them an interesting experience, to say the least.

Those things are common in Mechwarrior units.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 09 June 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#34 gamesguy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

Goonswarm started in the EVE Online.

:)

Shows how much you know about goons.

Their whole success was based on teh fact they recruited "every single" newbie in the game and stormed the thing of interest with them.

You realize that the Eve goons(who are just a subset of a much larger community) had a closed recruitment system right? Your average pubbie couldn't join the eve goons even if they wanted to. Also a huge number of eve goons weren't even in goonswarm, personally I was in BoB, the archnemesis of goonswarm.

Fil had you pegged perfectly. You don't know anything about goons and base all your retarded opinions on something someone's friend once told you happened to their third cousin twice removed.

Edited by gamesguy, 09 June 2012 - 01:23 AM.

#35 The Mittani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:22 AM

Hi.

I'm the CEO of Goonswarm. How are things?

You seem sad. Would you like a hug? Cheer up, kiddo! We're here to smash the Davions because they are the most thin-skinned of the entirety of the Battletech community.

Oh hey you made another post. It was worse than the previous one!

You have no idea what you're talking about.

#36 redcynic

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostHardcover, on 09 June 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Ah, the Goons. Also known as Gewnies, Goonz, the Swarm, and OH NO GOD BEES!

I've never had the (possibly dubious) pleasure of being on either side of a war involving them in EVE Online, but anyone that pays any attention at all to what goes on in that game has heard of them and probably has an opinion on them. Hell, I wrote a (for me) fairly expansive post on my EVE Online blog about them and their effect on the game. The Mittani is, I would contend, the front-runner if not the incumbent for the title of Magnificent ******* for EVE Online. And I give him whatever Internet points he deserves for that.

This having been said, the fact that the Swarm will be here in MechWarrior Online bothers me not a bit.

The Goons won't be able to use the blob tactics so many people have talked about here. Combat in MWO will not be like in EVE, where if things are going badly you can just hotdrop another fleet or three of supercapital ships. There are no reinforcements mid-match. There are no respawns mid-match, either, from my understanding. It's just however many 'Mechs you start with.

What the Goons will have are an outstanding support structure that few, if any, player units in this game will be able to match. Between guys that crunch numbers and generate strategy, a robust voice comms setup already in place, and practice at coordinated tactics that most of us will either have to work to achieve or dream of, they will make facing off against them an interesting experience, to say the least. I expect the Goons to try and trade on their rep, to intimidate all their opponents. I expect them to have a constantly-evolving stable of 'Mech designs that are constantly tweaked and refined to take advantage of every single game mechanic they can possibly twist to their advantage. Whatever works best is what they will use - save perhaps during drunken 'Mech nights, when they bring whatever they feel like and amuses them.

Again, I don't see how the Goons will have any advantage over everyone else that cannot, at least eventually, be made up for. As for the rest of it, I've tuned out Goon posts on game forums before. I can get back in the habit easily enough, I'm sure.

You're certainly modest, aren't you? Also LOL tvtropes.

BTW sup goons, I'm forum stalking you cuz im too poor to get a SA forum account. Cheers Zao

#37 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

Which doesn't necessarily mean that they turn to these tactics in every single game, just that their unusually infamous with swarming in eve (which i really don't see the problem about this)... and hey it worked for them. It obviously wont work as well in MW:O. Lets not insult their intelligence by not realizing they probably already know this. And lets face it kids *shudder* are obviously the bigger bane of gaming (WoTs anyone?) and considering goonswarm recruited from Eve online where its friendliness to kids is not well known and the type of people who play eve and manage to get past the learning curve (look down for picture comparison) tend to be more newb than noob when it comes to a new game.
Posted Image

#38 Ogryn

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

Shot em in Eve. Shot em in tanks. Shanked em in Wow. Just because I despise the actions of the group and the collective trolling aspects of them out of the game, doesn't mean I won't shoot em. The way I see it, it gives me yet another reason to fight against whatever faction they decide to roll with. Personal choice is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Also. And this is ******* in an ocean of **** here. But I have to try.

Don't. Feed. The. Trolls. No smack in game and on forums.

Mittens is powered by tears, poor grammer and rageposts. Unfortunately, it means that he's pretty much unbeatable.

#39 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostRaistel, on 09 June 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Goonswarm has a mentality of "if the programming allows it, then it's a fair tactic". They take advantage of every exploit, will manipulate personal relationships, they will lie to your face. All in the name of winning the game. They bring to bear a significant amount of resources, have a solid infrastructure that if turned in your direction will pretty much roll over you.

Better hope there are no major programming/logistics flaws in the game. If there's a way to social engineer you, they will, a weapons imbalance they'll find it, an undocumented/unpatched exploit they'll find it and use it mercilessly.

They can (and will) remove all the fun from a game, simply so they can 'win'

Yes, well done, you have summed it up perfectly. No one on SA has any interest in playing a game because it's fun, only to break it and ruin it for others. Because that makes sense.

#40 redcynic

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

View PostOgryn, on 09 June 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

Shot em in Eve. Shot em in tanks. Shanked em in Wow. Just because I despise the actions of the group and the collective trolling aspects of them out of the game, doesn't mean I won't shoot em. The way I see it, it gives me yet another reason to fight against whatever faction they decide to roll with. Personal choice is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Also. And this is ******* in an ocean of **** here. But I have to try.

Don't. Feed. The. Trolls. No smack in game and on forums.

Mittens is powered by tears, poor grammer and rageposts. Unfortunately, it means that he's pretty much unbeatable.

Grammar*. Also, starting a sentence with 'And' is a big no no.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users