#41 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

@Vellinious:

Try this for a custom laptop setup, they can pretty much accommodate any wishes for the most part, even if they seem to have a love affair with older/slower Crucial M4 SSDs.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/

#42 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

that room looks as messy as mine looked when i build my new pc :)

#43 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostDragoon20005, on 25 June 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

Ok i just confirmed that only Asus F2A85 V Pro supports setting the onboard video memory size up to 2GB!!!

I was looking for the setting in the manual and found it under UMA Frame Buffer Size: Auto,32M,64M,128M,256M,512M,1G,2G

Not so confirmed, I've used a Biostar board on one build and set UMA to 1g....and this tidbit is directly from the Asrock site for the extreme 4 and 6 boards:

- Max. shared memory 2GB

I would update the bios, check the UMA section for options for mem sizes, this is a pretty standard option unless you are buying business oriented boards. AFAIK total memory installed will determine how much you can allocate to the UMA buffer.

#44 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

well i did check the Asrock FM2 A85X Extreme 4 manual but it only have settings up to 512MB and that was in the BIOS settings

even bloodshed confirmed it memory is max out on 512MB only

that 2GB video memory myth have been busted

#45 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Been playing this game and others on the Trinity 5800k sans discrete GPU for nearly a year now. Skipping the Richlands to wait for Kaveri, although the ability of Richland to use 2133 RAM is relatively sexy.

I run mostly medium settings in MW:O, the textures are maxed and post-processing minimized, at 1680x1050, and get 15-23 FPS depending on maps and particle density (smoke and such slows this down, lack of MADs / stream processors rearing its head there). I don't have an SSD - yet - so that might be part of it, otherwise you have the exact same OS / MB as I do.

EDIT Just saw the bits about max memory for the GPU side bein' 512MB - that's bull. I have mine set to 2gb for the GPU, and if you want I'll go look in the BIOS for where you need to select that.

EDIT II - On second thought your issue might be the MB, mine is the ASRock A85X Extreme6, not Extreme4. Hmmm.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 15 July 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#46 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

even with the 512 i've been playing a lot of games on the 6800K with nice framerates.. even tomb raider on 1080P low I think.. I expect to crank out some videos this week..

and from a post earlier.. yeah.. my room is a disaster area cause i've been outta town for a week and went rummaging through stuff and didn't straighten up

#47 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 15 July 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

even with the 512 i've been playing a lot of games on the 6800K with nice framerates.. even tomb raider on 1080P low I think.. I expect to crank out some videos this week..

Well let me know if you'd like me to dig in my BIOS for you, I'll write the path down if you want to try it out that way. Trust me when I say from my experience with this APU that there's only two things that will improve performance - max speed RAM and a higher share for the GPU. I tried all other forms of OC and got very little improvement, not near enough to make it worthwhile.

#48 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 15 July 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Well let me know if you'd like me to dig in my BIOS for you, I'll write the path down if you want to try it out that way. Trust me when I say from my experience with this APU that there's only two things that will improve performance - max speed RAM and a higher share for the GPU. I tried all other forms of OC and got very little improvement, not near enough to make it worthwhile.

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 15 July 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

that will be great we now have 2 bros who have APU builds to proof that you don't need to spend a bomb on a PC to play M:WO

there have been too many bad reviews of AMD products when they are actually good stuff

my local PC stores hardly sell AMD CPUs and Mobo anymore save for a few

yes I am a AMD {Noble MechWarrior} and will always be

#49 Byzan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I've been following the AMD APU's I think they are a great Idea. And really importnat for AMD as well because it is the one area they are still really strong, their CPU's are way behind Intel and Graphics cards are behind nvidia but these APUs are one area they are ahead.

If I was still a poor student I would seriously look at buying one, great bang for buck and the ability to add a descrete GFX card when the next student allowance came through :)

I still think the key for AMD is working on devaloping these APU's as fast as they can to get them to a level where your average game like MWO can run with 1080p at least medium settings and get 30fps+

That will be awesome. and they will sell like hotcakes in cheap laptops and desktops. And even things like steamboxes.

But Intel are obviously pushing in this area as well. They see it as a selling point for home user and mobile devices, I think your average user is more aware now that overall a PC or laptop has CPU and GPU power and maybe that's come from the "windows experience index" that rates a PC and lists processor and Graphics performance seperately.

My guy feeling is that AMD really need to work their arses off to stay ahead in this area or intel will overtake them within 3-4 years.

#50 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Spoiler

If you think of APUs in terms of PCs only then you are drastically short sighted when it comes to APUs. Fact is they aren't meant to win the PC rivalry with Intel, they're meant to allow AMD to transcend it - and they have done so. Look at the current gen' of consoles coming out Soon ™ - both use APUs. Look at the phone market - APUs are in a steep ascent in usage for phones and Intel is in a dive. Same holds true for tablets.

So yeah, don't think of APUs and their applications to PCs because that's not what they were meant to do. No, they allow AMD to look Intel in the eye and say, our rivalry no longer concerns us, we have bigger fish to fry, and have done so. Meanwhile Intel is left out in the cold PC market wondering WTF just happened - while they'll keep the firm grasp on PCs that they've had for some time, their share of the non-PC markets is now in serious trouble - and they're new offerings here are being laughed at in trade shows too I might add.

In short - Intel dominates PCs, woohooo who cares - certainly not AMD anymore. :)

#51 Byzan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 16 July 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

Spoiler

If you think of APUs in terms of PCs only then you are drastically short sighted when it comes to APUs. Fact is they aren't meant to win the PC rivalry with Intel, they're meant to allow AMD to transcend it - and they have done so. Look at the current gen' of consoles coming out Soon ™ - both use APUs. Look at the phone market - APUs are in a steep ascent in usage for phones and Intel is in a dive. Same holds true for tablets.

So yeah, don't think of APUs and their applications to PCs because that's not what they were meant to do. No, they allow AMD to look Intel in the eye and say, our rivalry no longer concerns us, we have bigger fish to fry, and have done so. Meanwhile Intel is left out in the cold PC market wondering WTF just happened - while they'll keep the firm grasp on PCs that they've had for some time, their share of the non-PC markets is now in serious trouble - and they're new offerings here are being laughed at in trade shows too I might add.

In short - Intel dominates PCs, woohooo who cares - certainly not AMD anymore. :rolleyes:

true the fact is this battle between AMD and intel is not just on PC's now it's everywhere and includes others like ARM It's great AMD hot the PS4 and in some ways it's maybe saved their arses because they needed some good news. Their GPU's lag behind nvidia and their CPU's lag behind intel in a big way.

Intel is obviously working hard to adapt more mobile friendly processors and really boost it's integrated GPUs.

These AMD APU's are great, but in terms of their actualy viability as a true gamers option as I said the important steps are yet to come. 1080p has become a standard and when an CPU with integrated GPU can run your average game at 1080p with decient settings and get 30+fps without need for a dedicated GFX card. Gamers will jump at it like crazy and laptops will sell like crazy.

I really think AMD need to make damn sure they are the first to get there.

Also note that though Microsoft had consaultants from AMD help them with the XBO the processor is essentually made and designed by Microsoft. I actually kinda think that we may see microsoft move more in this area. Create more devices and PC's with their own hardware because of the pressure from Android (which is basically free) they may not make as much from their OS being in competition with a free os. Another major player for AMD to go head to head with.

#52 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

So, Bloodshed, I tried out MW:O at all-low and 1280x720, and ended up with 31 to 45 FPS, usually around 40. Kind of surprised by that result, personally. The low is right around where yours was, so I'm just going to assume we got pretty much the same results, more or less. Which makes sense given that your Richland 6800k is a bit of fine-tuning on my Trinity 5800k. I went back to 1680x1050, left all but the textures at low and maxed those due to the low impact they have on performance, and now am averaging 27 fps. No surpise, I don't miss the shadows enough to go back to 17 FPS. :rolleyes:

#53 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

yeah, it was pretty funny running into you today.. i'm also running two monitors off my APU.. and I was playing music in the background off Firefox, aswell as having many other tabs running :)
so the only thing that was "rendering" on my second screen was teamspeak and google play for music.. still.. to be able to sustain all that on top of MWO is pretty awesome if its all in one chip with NO DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD!

#54 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, Laptops will boom again when APUS match mid level DX11 1080p gaming setups, no question I would change my hatred for laptops and grab one for myself...... So if the FX9590 was said APU with say built in 7970 I would surely justify 999$ :)

#55 Viktor Hannan

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Maybe you guys can help me out. I just bought this computer (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883256743) this last week and have been trying to run MWO on it, but I only get about 11 fps (1024x768, quality set to low). Is there any way I can squeeze more out of this system and get a playable 25+ fps, without buying a dedicated graphics card? The computer I linked to is an hp. Here are some of the specs:
APU A8-5500(3.2GHz/3.7GHz turbo)
Memory: 8GB DDR3, 1600 MHz
Integrated GPU:AMD Radeon HD 7560D
So this is a trinity processor, like the one being discussed, albeit a weaker one.
Is there anyway to boost my fps? I've never over clocked before, but I'm willing to try. Will that make a noticeable difference?
I had really hoped I would be getting at least 20 fps with this computer...

Edited by ViktorHannan, 17 July 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#56 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostViktorHannan, on 17 July 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Maybe you guys can help me out. I just bought this computer (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883256743) this last week and have been trying to run MWO on it, but I only get about 11 fps (1024x768, quality set to low). Is there any way I can squeeze more out of this system and get a playable 25+ fps, without buying a dedicated graphics card? The computer I linked to is an hp. Here are some of the specs:
So this is a trinity processor, like the one being discussed, albeit a weaker one.
Is there anyway to boost my fps? I've never over clocked before, but I'm willing to try. Will that make a noticeable difference?

follow this thread

as this guy also have a similar computer as yours

http://mwomercs.com/...on-my-computer/

try to update the drivers first before going OC

#57 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostDragoon20005, on 27 June 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

it is free build, bloodshed only need to get his hands dirty to build it

of course this build may not be powerful, but everyone will agree this build will own a similar priced Intel i3 core using GMA HD2500 big time

i bet the Intel machine will get fatal error before it even load the main menu or the mechlab lolz

I run MWO on my laptop which has a Pentium T4500 @ 2.3 Ghz and onboard graphics. I run the game at 10 fps medium settings 720p.... This is a 3 year old laptop doing half as well as this new APU. lol I wouldn't run an APU for gaming unless i was poor and stupid (i have 1 down(poor)). But my desktop with an i5-2320 and XFX 7750HD do fine on ultra so i will never be testing an APU.

#58 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostViktorHannan, on 17 July 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

aside from overclocking, faster ram and SSD would be about the only two that may help..

#59 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 18 July 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

aside from overclocking, faster ram and SSD would be about the only two that may help..

I bet some nice 1866 low latency or low CL ddr3 would help, and a massive Aircooler for that APU to scream it out to 5ghz and you would be scratching at the performance door for dedicated GPU gaming machines.......

#60 Uh you havent met Stabem

• Pip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Currently i run AMD FX-6200 with one Club ATI 5770HD. I do need a better graphics card, that one is 3years old so.... but still doing all that's asked of it. And the Hedra core i so sweet :) I bought the card initially so i could drop in another one later on. Even so i wouldn't go on a integrated gpu on a cpu..... First of all there always problems they still need to solve and points they need to improve on. Your probably better of waiting a bit if the current setup is sufficient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users