Lights/mediums Useless, Assaults Rule, Pgi Agrees, Role Warfare Is A Myth Now Debunked

165 replies to this topic

#81 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Light 'Mechs are awesome. I have an SDR-5D with a KDR of 15.00 with 6 matches won and 1 lost and 51 minutes played. Yup, 15 kills and 0 deaths on my part. In one match I got 4 kills because the people left kept trying to kill the Centurion on my team while I just slowly picked them apart. The stats are hilarious so I only take it out once in a while. Besides that, I like the SDR-5K more. It has a more lackluster .42 KDR, but it's more fun to me.

#82 JDH4mm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

u can't run with 7 ppc's.

Weight restrictions would only work if you are joining a hosted server like in mw4. I cannot see how PGI can accomplish weight restrictions here.... problem is and always will be ELO + matchmaking.

edit: and to top it all off, there needs to be several new game play modes because theyre downright getting dull just having only 2.

Edited by JDH4mm3r, 26 June 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#83 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

lol at all the people who don't know what p00k is capable of.

#84 JDH4mm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostMonky, on 26 June 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

lol at all the people who don't know what p00k is capable of.

i know exactly what p00k is capable of so i'll join u in the lolz

#85 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

View Postp00k, on 25 June 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Remember how in closed beta, PGI made this big deal about how every weight class had a role, and how bigger didn't necessarily mean better? And yet, especially in the last few patches, the exact opposite has been true. It's been go-big-or-go-home. Assaults dominate the field. Lights and Mediums get 1- or 2-shot by their heavier brethren.

Well, apparently, this is working as intended. And PGI wants to make a buck off it.

See Project Phoenix. Unlike Founders, when we were all bright eyed bushy tailed optimistic gamers filled with the hope that PGI would rejuvenate the IP, and where if you chose to be an elite founder you could choose one of the four mechs, PGI tosses that purchase model out the window. While there was debate among elite founders which one to get (i went with the atlas), plenty of people chose jenners or hunchbacks as well.

Unlike the founders program though, Phoenix starts you off with light mechs, and only as you pay more do you get the heavier ones. Not hard to read between the lines here. In a meta dominated by assaults, if you want the assault mech, you have to buy the most expensive option. Because who are we kidding? The Battlemaster will clearly be better than the Locust. It HAS to be better. It financially benefits PGI for it to be better. And Assaults will continue to be better than their lighter counterparts. Not different, not playing a different role. Better.

So, thanks but no thanks. If I'm still playing this game when that content is released--if this game is still up and running when that content is released, I'll buy the assault mech with what will probably be upwards of 400m cbills i'll have by then, and stomp the talon/storm/guardian tier phoenixers. I'll just have to live with the knowledge that the overlord phoenixers got a bunch of mechbays and premium time and 9 crap mechs with their 3 decent ones. AND MEDALLIONS!

******** pgi, get off your ***** and fix the single-variable changes that have been broken for months now

Great post by a great player in a great unit. I hope it is listened to. I see that his skill is being doubted...he is a starter on Paragon, and Paragon is an absolute top-tier competitive unit. If you don't like his ideas you don't have to, but if you call him bad, you will only be showing your own lack of connection with the competitive community.

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 June 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

2nd, I have a feeling that many people are defining what is "competitive" or not are doing-so in the absence of weight limitations. I wonder how your persona list of "Effective Mechs" might change if your 8-man premade team was limited to so-many tons... I suggest we all mind the future, and not just the current Matchmaking limits (or lack thereof).

Sounds nice, doesn't it? Unfortunately in any drop weight that could result in balance (let's say...525 tons) the plan is to load up on assaults, and then toss in a medium/light just to field 8 mechs. The focus is not a balanced roster...the focus is seeing how many assaults/heavies you can jam in to a drop deck.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 26 June 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#86 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 25 June 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

cry cry cry

whine whine whine

assaults are worth more because they are assaults, pretty obvious stuff. 80 bucks to get it all and 120 days of premium time is an exceptional deal, nevermind the 12 extra mechbays you get and the medallions. 80 bucks is what? a day of mowing lawns? get to it.

someone drank the kool-aid...and it only cost them 80 bucks to feel superior to anyone w/ a criticism

#87 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostCHWarpath, on 26 June 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Another baddie making posts based on this own terrible gaming perspective. Atlas's routinely do less than 200 damage on most matches because of bad builds and bad players. So lets not get carried away.

cool...so more ppl in assaults who have less brains than money...but please, tell us more how much better you are than someone with a valid point

#88 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

View Posthammerreborn, on 25 June 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Uh...the reason you pay more for the larger mechs is because of the order they are released.

When buying the battlemaster tier, you're also buying the exclusive use of the battlemaster for 3 months before ANYONE ELSE can even use it.

Meanwhile, the locust is being released the same time as pheonix, and so gives no tangible benefit.

so...pay to win sooner?

#89 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I keep telling you kids, we need tonnage limits.

#90 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostCancR, on 26 June 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I keep telling you kids, we need tonnage limits.

Tonnage limits don't help. We have tonnage limits in tournaments, and the trick is to stuff as many assaults/heavies into the drop deck as possible, and then fill the rest of the slots with the lightest thing you can reasonably run so you can field 8. The lights will do basically nothing other than go for a "geronimo cap" or hang back while they wait for the assaults to win or lose the match. Or you could go all-in for a brawl, but that won't work against a sniping team with brawling being so weak.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 26 June 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#91 Xie Belvoule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 26 June 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Tonnage limits don't help. We have tonnage limits in tournaments, and the trick is to stuff as many assaults/heavies into the drop deck as possible, and then fill the rest of the slots with the lightest thing you can reasonably run so you can field 8.

QFT

HHoD does the same damn thing in our drop decks, it's even easier when you can load up on the OP Stalkers.

P.S. If you don't know who p00k is, you should S T F U on matters of balance and competitive gameplay

Edited by Xie Belvoule, 26 June 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#92 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

What torny has tonnage limits? The only one I know exists and is Run Hot or Die and they have stupid and arbitary class restriction, not tonnage.

If RHoD had a tonnage limit of 200 per lance (400 ton 8 man, 600 ton 12 man, ect) the completion would be vastly different.

#93 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

I think of myself as a fairly good and effective player, but I can not pilot an Assault mech for the life of me. I can average 300+ damage a match (and often much higher) with a Medium or Heavy (the two classes I prefer.), but with an Assault, I am lucky to get 300+ with it (Misery at the moment is giving me grief). My Misery is netting me a KDR of 0.8 and my Cat C1 is now 2.04, Cat K2 is 1.67 and my Hunch 4P is 1.47. Even lights (which I suck at), I have a 1.5 KDR with the Raven 3L. This game isn't just about Assault mechs alpha striking. As a matter of fact, I wonder if some people would do better with a lighter mech *shrug*. I know I do.

#94 Xie Belvoule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostCancR, on 26 June 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

What torny has tonnage limits? The only one I know exists and is Run Hot or Die and they have stupid and arbitary class restriction, not tonnage.

If RHoD had a tonnage limit of 200 per lance (400 ton 8 man, 600 ton 12 man, ect) the completion would be vastly different.

Last Man Standing has tonnage limits...so yeah.....

#95 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostDr B00t, on 26 June 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

so...pay to win sooner?

exactly.

#96 GingerBang

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationThe Airport Hilton

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostARCTIC F0X, on 25 June 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

everyone that is bashing lights/Meds are simply bad and crying

Ever stop and think maybe people who are just completely destroying lights/medium at every turn think they are bad? This game is boring as **** when i can just 1 shot any light mech, or almost any medium mech I see. Christ, a buddy of mine was just showing me the other day how to exploit weapon convergence on a dual ac20 jager to clear the armor off both legs of a light mech with a single salvo. Any light without max armor in the legs usually just dies on impact, and that's aside from how easy it to one shot any of them with a misery running 4 PPC's and a gauss. It gets boring just playing wack-a-mole all day long.

#97 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

My Hunchback 4P build is pretty brutal, and it's been a long time since I've died in my Jenner K (which is odd since I think it's the worst Jenner for weapon options).

I'm quite looking forward to the Locusts and Shadow Hawks.

#98 Xie Belvoule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostGingerBang, on 26 June 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Ever stop and think maybe people who are just completely destroying lights/medium at every turn think they are bad? This game is boring as **** when i can just 1 shot any light mech, or almost any medium mech I see. Christ, a buddy of mine was just showing me the other day how to exploit weapon convergence on a dual ac20 jager to clear the armor off both legs of a light mech with a single salvo. Any light without max armor in the legs usually just dies on impact, and that's aside from how easy it to one shot any of them with a misery running 4 PPC's and a gauss. It gets boring just playing wack-a-mole all day long.

I know what you mean man, I pop lights constantly with one or two shots from my 732. It's like were playing two completely different games, maybe mediums and lights are usable in the steering wheel underhive but up here at the peak of Mount Tryhard....

#99 Qarnage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

This thread is right. Shortly, lighter weight classes used to be able to perform slightly better compared to their heavier counterparts. I am referring to the match score, aka damage score + 20. For whom doesn't know, damage score means helping your team. Lights and mediums used to do that better.

Why? Ligher meant faster, and getting shot less often. Heavier meant slower, and getting shot more often. This is not true anymore. PPCs, Gauss, SRMs, LRMs, kill as often lights and assaults. And on a side note, recent buff/nerf to weapon systems benefit much more heavier mechs than lighter ones. (HSR, PPC speed & heat, LRMs damage, Gauss health vs Flamer, MG & SPL overall damage with SRMs/Streaks lowered damage)

#100 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

[color="#999999"]

[/color]All matches are played using the assault mode.

Drops will be based on:
Assault, Heavy, Medium, Light

I don think I need to tell any one how fail this is. Compared to my 200 tonnage limits per lance, most of these limits break 400 for an 8 man in just 1 lance.

Drop weight:
Drop 1: 575 to 625 - Capping Allowed
Drop 2: 350 to 375 - No Capping
Drop 3: 475 to 500 - Capping Allowed

Again, compared to my 200 a lance rule this is so liberal you can't even consider this limits as you can still pretty much run what ever mech you want.

Ive been pushing for 200 tonnage limits Or maybe 250 tonnage limits. This would be restrictive and cause players to make real choies in the mechs they have to bring.

When you see a x-x number, you know that limit is a joke, with that massive gap is a big ******* deal.

**** tornys for a **** MW title.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users