Petition For More Phoenix Options

135 replies to this topic

Poll: yes/no (341 member(s) have cast votes)

I want to pick the phoenix mechs I get

1. Yes (235 votes [68.91%])

Percentage of vote: 68.91%

2. No (106 votes [31.09%])

Percentage of vote: 31.09%

Which phoenix mechs are you interested in (can pick multiple)

1. Locust (109 votes [13.23%])

Percentage of vote: 13.23%

2. Shadow Hawk (232 votes [28.16%])

Percentage of vote: 28.16%

3. Thunderbolt (231 votes [28.03%])

Percentage of vote: 28.03%

4. Battlemaster (252 votes [30.58%])

Percentage of vote: 30.58%

Would you like a 30$ tier for one mech of choice?

1. yes (188 votes [56.46%])

Percentage of vote: 56.46%

2. no (145 votes [43.54%])

Percentage of vote: 43.54%

If you could pick JUST ONE what would it be?

1. Locust (11 votes [5.09%])

Percentage of vote: 5.09%

2. Shadow Hawk (61 votes [28.24%])

Percentage of vote: 28.24%

3. Thunderbolt (52 votes [24.07%])

Percentage of vote: 24.07%

4. Battlemaster (92 votes [42.59%])

Percentage of vote: 42.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Dragonkindred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

If the Locust was a stinger or Wasp... If the Phoenix Hawk was a Griffin or Wolverine... If the Thunderbolt was a Marauder...

...We wouldn't be having this conversation!

Love the idea. Love the effort to bring in the reseen. Don't love the lack of options or most of the mech choices. So just give me a Battlemaster option and I'll give you my money. :)

#42 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Goes to MWO Dealership
Customer 1: Hello! I would like to buy this new Truck
PGI: Great, well limited time you can get this truck and several add-ons for a great discount! You'll get the truck, a flimsy vespa, a sports car, and a mini van all for the low price of 80,000 dollars!
Customer: But I just want the Truck and all I have is the 30,000 it's worth
PGI: *silence*
customer 2: Silly guy! It's such a great deal just fork over the 80,000!
Customer 1: But I can't afford it, also it's a bad business practice to keep the item I want hostage in order to get me to buy the fodder I don't want.
Customer 2: *various vitriolic comments*
Customer 1: Please PGI, reconsider?
PGI: *silence*
Customer 1: Ok, I'm going to another dealership to buy a truck. I wanted PGIs truck, but they wont sell it to me unless I buy a bunch of fodder.
Customer 2: I could afford 80k, why couldn't he? LOL

It's honestly embarrassing how rude fellow players have been to those asking for a deal the poorer or more picky players can enjoy. It's not that we don't want to spend money on MWO, it's that we WANT TO, but we cannot justify paying for things we don't want in bundles like this.

#43 Gooner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

View Poststjobe, on 26 June 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

It's 12 mechs, of which 4 are Hero equivalents.
It's 12 mechbays.
It's 90-120 days of premium time.
It's assorted other goodies.
For $80.

It's basically half price.

Different people see value in different things. For players who want to play as every mech, or for people who want to "collect" every mech whether they actually use them or not, yeah its a great deal.

I will never play as a light or a medium. I'm not saying lights and mediums are bad, but they don't suit my style. I prefer heavies and assaults. But even then, I don't tend to jump around from one mech to another. I get comfortable in one mech and stick with it until I find something better.

So straight away 6 of those mechs are useless to me, and 3 others will likely collect dust once I figure out which I like best out of the heavy and the assault. I'm not familiar with these mechs but I guess I'd prefer the assault.

If the mechs are useless to me, then I don't need their mechbays either.

I haven't used any of my premium time that I got from Founders yet, and I've managed to buy everything that I wanted with cbills, and I've maxed out the XP tree on the Atlas, Cataphract and Stalker. And its not like I spend forever grinding. Usually just an hour or 2 at the weekends. So premium time isn't very valuable to me. When CW actually launches and I activate my premium time, whilst also increasing my playtime, I expect to be swimming in Cbills. And for the same reason, selling those useless mechs for cbills won't really have any value for me.

I'm only going to play for 1 of the 6 factions, and I don't think the loyalty bonus will be all that useful.

So to me, its $80 for 3 mechs, 3 mech bays a cosmetic item and the "prestige" of being seen as supporting the game. Which I want to do, but I'm not in the habit of spending money on something I don't think is value to me.

But hey, reading through a couple of forum threads its clear I'm in the minority here, so that's fine. This sale isn't for me. Maybe the next one will be. I'm not leaving this feedback hoping for a change (at this point it probably would be unfair to make another tier after some people already bought the top tier), just hoping its taken into consideration in future.

Edited by Gooner, 26 June 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#44 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostMahws, on 26 June 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

I don't have $80. I have bills to pay. A future to save for. Food to put on the table.

Then you can't have the Battlemaster on Oct 15th. It's as easy as that. You'll have to wait until Jan 22nd.

If this is too much of a wait for you, perhaps you can try to save $20 per month in July, August, and September; together with the $20 you already have, you should be able to get the Battlemaster before Oct 15th. The only thing you'll miss out on is the extra 30 days of premium time - but you'll still get 90 days premium.

#45 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

They have made the $80 package especially appealing on purpose

No. What they did was make the $80 package the only appealing one. Its pay $80 or GT FO.

#46 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

View Poststjobe, on 26 June 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Then you can't have the Battlemaster on Oct 15th. It's as easy as that. You'll have to wait until Jan 22nd.

If this is too much of a wait for you, perhaps you can try to save $20 per month in July, August, and September; together with the $20 you already have, you should be able to get the Battlemaster before Oct 15th. The only thing you'll miss out on is the extra 30 days of premium time - but you'll still get 90 days premium.

Or instead PGI could capitalize on the people who have less money instead of leaving them out? But hey, it's not like we're harming ourselves by not buying in.

#47 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

As someone who knows their light mechs I'd thought I'd chime in and add that the Locust 'should' have an engine cap of 225 which would let it go around 180. However, if this was removed, and its actually pretty sad 150 is the limit, the Jenner could go 157 and the Spider 208. It will have a Jenner like hit box that is poor (I mean huge CT), and no JJs, which are essential for a light mech who is ballsy and brawly.

The variant we have right now 4 Ballistic, 1 Energy, is worse in every way (on paper) to the Spider-5K, which until recently was probably overall 2nd or 3rd worst mech in the game. Now with MGs, its more viable, but still not great.

I also have to add. Smaller mechs, especially lights, are better off in comparison with STD engines. Take the Jenner, it has around a 1 left for everything with a STD300 and full armor, but its incredibly well suited for an XL. A Commando or even a Spider can use a STD engine, and with that awesome (in comparison) hitbox, its much better at survival than one might think.

IF the Flea has a unique hitbox, one I have said before, the side torsos literally covering the CT 100% while intact, it will be useful. It has a top speed of 137.7 (->150.2 which works out ok in the current limit light mech world), and can pack 5 Small Lasers and MASC and has max armor along with around a ton left over.

Agreed! Hardly an impressive payload, and unlikely its hitbox will be good as suggested, but there is that. Smaller mechs, the Locust included are really good with STD engines.

However, we can all see the Locust's hitbox now. Its terrible. Its like a Jenner in that its CT is huge and the sides are probably small.

Its literally the worst mech that could be, based off what we know. This behavior does not surprise me. With 3rd person and coolant, sometimes it seems that all we are is just the fastest and best buck to be made.

The only advantage, its speed, is capped too low to be effective, and then the Spider runs all over it, pun intended. It is worthless, and you will all be getting a worthless mech when you get the package.

#48 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

ITT; People want what is effectively an assault hero mech for $20

#49 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

I'd like to have a little bit expensive package leaving me the choice, as I posted this also in the official feedback thread:

-30$ -> Chose 1 mech to get the phoenix variant + 2 standard variants 30 days for early buy and nothing else

-50$ -> Chose 2 mechs, 2 of which phoenix and 4 standard variants 30 PT days for early buy and faction medallion

-70$ -> Chose 3 mechs, 3 phoenix, 6 total standard variants, 30+30 PT days, 2 faction medallions.

I'm fine if they won't do this (and It's highly probable they'll never do this since I'm pretty sure lots of people already went "shut up and take my money) but I don't care about the Locust and the Thunderbolt at all, so I'm one of those that don't give a damn about spending 80$ to get half the mechs that are awarded to me. So no money at all from me.

The above idea would raise the sales even more rather than cannibalizing the other tiers, I totally support OP's thread.

Edited by John MatriX82, 27 June 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#50 Draegneir

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

I´ve seen lot´s of stupid arguments but here I just see some people making a viable and smart suggestions, and others saying **** and spend 80$ in something you don´t like at all.

I can´t believe that people are soo ******* annoying and don´t like to have options.

I just agree with OP and I don´t see where people has to come and say take it of ****, is PGI giving you this 80$? Customer unfliendly policies are bad and we the customers have to put them to stop, if not the companies (Don´t forget a company wants money) will do all in their hands to get it, we put the limits.

#51 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

View Poststjobe, on 26 June 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Thanks for the economics lesson. Clearly I hadn't thought of saving money for things I want to buy.

I don't want the $80 pack (as hard as that may be to believe for some people around here). I have several hundred dollars in savings in my bank account. I'm simply just not interested in making an $80 purchase, I have better things to spend my money on at that price point.

I'm happy to spend $20-$40 to support the game, but there's nothing worth buying for that because of the Locust.

Piranha are losing sales because they're offering nothing interesting for people not willing to drop money on the larger packs. No skin off my nose, I'd like the phoenix variants, but I'm happy to just get the mechs when they come out for c-bills. All I'm saying is that I'd like to give Piranha money, but they're not giving those not interested in an $80 purchase any reason to.

Edited by Mahws, 27 June 2013 - 02:04 AM.

#52 Truesight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:23 AM

So what if every Locust comes with a barely dressed Lori statue in it, wouldn't you want to have that one?

I sure already got Overlord.

#53 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostMahws, on 27 June 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

I don't want the $80 pack (as hard as that may be to believe for some people around here). I have several hundred dollars in savings in my bank account. I'm simply just not interested in making an $80 purchase, I have better things to spend my money on at that price point.

Ah, so now the truth comes out. You don't want to spend $80. A much less tenable position than the one you said you were in in your previous post:

View PostMahws, on 26 June 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

I don't have $80. I have bills to pay. A future to save for. Food to put on the table.

I had some sympathy for you when you said you didn't have the money. Now you're just being cheap.

$80 is about what you'd need to pay for a Hero 'mech, two regular 'mechs, three 'mech bays, and three months of premium anyway, so just buy it and ignore the other stuff.

#54 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 26 June 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

ITT; People want what is effectively an assault hero mech for $20

If PGI could actually balance the game with a small level of competency then this would be much less of a problem.

#55 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

glad to see so many arguing for choice!

Still freaks me out that their are people who don't want choice, but I guess that's just American nature.

#56 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Poststjobe, on 27 June 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

Ah, so now the truth comes out. You don't want to spend $80. A much less tenable position than the one you said you were in in your previous post:

I had some sympathy for you when you said you didn't have the money. Now you're just being cheap.

$80 is about what you'd need to pay for a Hero 'mech, two regular 'mechs, three 'mech bays, and three months of premium anyway, so just buy it and ignore the other stuff.

Oh come on, grow up. Resorting to personal attacks doesn't make you any more right.

Being able to save up $80 doesn't mean that I should therefore think it's a good idea to spend eighty dollars. Not wanting to buy the $80 pack doesn't make me cheap, it means I don't want to blow a large amount of money on my hobby just because it's possible.

Let's try a less emotional example than a franchise we both hold dear:

I'm being offered a $25,000 car for $15,000. That's a great deal, no one would deny that.

I happen to have $15,000 sitting in my bank account, I could definitely purchase that car.

Can =/= want or should. I can afford to spend $15,000. But being a reasonable person I've said to myself "$15,000 is a bit pricey. I'm trying to save up money for other purchases and there are other things more important to me. I don't actually need a car at all, I'm just buying it because I think I'd enjoy it and want to support a local business. What can I get in the $5,000 to $8,000 price range?"

At which point the dealer has shown me two old rust buckets I feel are worth far less than what they're being asked for. To which I said "That's a pity, I guess I won't buy. You'd probably make more money if you offered people better options at lower price ranges though."

How is that an unreasonable standpoint?

Edited by Mahws, 27 June 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#57 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Because this http://youtu.be/mf5Uj4XIT1Y?t=17m

Edited by ryoma, 27 June 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#58 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:35 AM

View PostMahws, on 27 June 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Let's try a less emotional example than a franchise we both hold dear:

I'm being offered a $25,000 car for $15,000. That's a great deal, no one would deny that.

I happen to have $15,000 sitting in my bank account, I could definitely purchase that car.

Can =/= want or should. I can afford to spend $15,000. But being a reasonable person I've said to myself "$15,000 is a bit pricey. I'm trying to save up money for other purchases and there are other things more important to me. I don't actually need a car at all, I'm just buying it because I think I'd enjoy it and want to support a local business. What can I get in the $5,000 to $8,000 price range?"

At which point the dealer has shown me two old rust buckets I feel are worth far less than what they're being asked for. To which I said "That's a pity, I guess I won't buy. You'd probably make more money if you offered people better options at lower price ranges though."

How is that an unreasonable standpoint?

It's unreasonable because the question you're actually asking is "I don't want to spend $15,000 on a $25,000 car. Why can't you sell me that $25,000 car for $5-$8,000?". Any sane dealer would laugh in your face and show you the door.

The $80 they're asking for the Overlord package is roughly what you'd need to spend if you were to buy just
* A Hero assault 'mech
* Two regular assault 'mechs
* Three mechbays
* Three months of premium time

In effect, you're getting the other eight 'mechs and mechbays for free if you buy the Battlemaster. Or if you want, you get about half price on everything in that package compared with if you'd buy it separately.

Now you want to pay $20 for that. $20 for something they're asking $80 for, something with a $160 or so value. Can you still not see why it's unreasonable?

#59 MrTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 242 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

I personally cant see this happening, I voted for it but I can't see it happening.

PGI's way of making money is persuading people to pay for what they want, they did it with the heavy metal and again with the Dragon Slayer. Its a risky Tactic but it does work, I will be buying this cos its a damn good way to get some new content and premium time for very little.

People want the Battlemaster and they want it as soon as possible so they will pay for it.

#60 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

The $80 package is a steal. You get 12 mechs that would normally cost you a fortune for a fraction of the price, PLUS tons of premium time, PLUS some really nifty bonuses for the upcoming community warfare PLUS 12 mechbay slots. I fully understand why they put the Battlemaster at the $80 tier. Considering it's almost $40 for a single assault mech, paying $80 for three assaults, PLUS 3 heavies, PLUS 3 mediums, PLUS 3 lights, PLUS 12 mechbays to put them in, PLUS 120 days of premium time, PLUS portable bonuses for upcoming meta content is a bloody steal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users