#161 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostCry0, on 25 October 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Hey guys, sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but I'm in the point of deciding the best bang for the buck Project Phoenix tier to get.

I'm seeing so much love for the Shadow Hawk, and thinking that since I have a Founder Atlas, I think the Storm tier is best for me bec. this tier will give me a light and a great medium. I'm not seeing the benefit of getting the Guardian tier to get the heavy since I can always get an assault.

That aside, what do you guys think is the tier that gives you the best rewards for your money? Thanks.

Locust - Fun a few times, looks cool (to me). Will never be competitive. Sure you can do some interesting mind-game builds with it, but dropping with my team = don't bring the LCT

Shad Hawk - Totally worth it. Still too tall, but there are gobs of viable builds for this creature.

THUD - I hate it. Nothing "wrong" with it, per se. But I seriously can't make myself enjoy it. My teammates all disagree, but 1. It's ugly (shouldn't matter, but it does), and 2. It feels like there is nothing it's particularly focused on... I mean you could say the same thing of lots of other mechs, but the hardpoint layout of this one very much bothers me.

BattleMaster - solid addition to the damage-soak lineup. Seriously, these things seem to take forever to go down.

So, either go for the package with the ShadowHawk, or go whole hog and get the entire thing.

#162 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 10 November 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

BattleMaster - solid addition to the damage-soak lineup. Seriously, these things seem to take forever to go down.

it's also a fast assault mech, potentially very decent for brawling. not entirely sure it's worth all the money, though - in terms of pure fun, the SHD is more than enough.

Edited by Inflatable Fish, 10 November 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#163 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostInflatable Fish, on 10 November 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

it's also a fast assault mech, potentially very decent for brawling. not entirely sure it's worth all the money, though - in terms of pure fun, the SHD is more than enough.

^ Probably right. You could hold off, buy the c-bill Shawks, then use those to grind cash for the Battlemasters. [Shrugs].
I got the whole package because I'm a confirmed whale. (according to my wife at least I don't drink heavily and gamble), And it's a "good deal" so to speak. But even I would be hard pressed to say the money to fun value makes it worthwhile.

#164 Richard Warts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCrash landed on Weingarten III

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

I can't wait to finally own one of these fine mechs. I look forward to seeing how the griffen will stack up against it once the griffen becomes available.

#165 Badgerthej

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

ok discussion time, personally after a great deal of time i must admit i cant stand the things....and now they're out for c-bills i'll hate them even more because everyone will have them....

In my observations they are faster, tougher and more maneuverable than the hunchie, can take as much if not more firepower than them and can fit jump jets....i'm all for more firepower for a heavier mech.....fits a nice output curve..but isnt the hunchie supposed to have more armour than it?

I also actually think somethings up......I charged one of these thigns down in a brawl atlas (ac20, 2medium pulses, 3srm 4's), hammered it with 4 ac rounds, many laser blasts and volleys of missiles and it killed me.......i'm sorry but with the firepower that hit it compared to what it had (3ac2's - which i think is rediculous yet strangely effective) it should have dropped, i would still have been heavily battered with a few exposed areas but I should have lived.

#166 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Highish ping? Or wide ping gap between you and target.
Borked HSR, see above.
Atlas already sustained damage perhaps?

#167 Badgerthej

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

nah we were both fresh, the ping wasnt too different between us we were both around 120-ish....

#168 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

triple AC/2 is a moster in terms of pure dps. if you get caught in continuous fire, you'll get melted no matter how much your mech weighs or how much armour it carries. three AC/2 is roughly 12 damage *per second* so don't be surprised it can cut through the thickest plates like a hot knife through butter.

#169 bowlie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

Im having real problems making the SH work for me. Im just not sure what role its supposed to fill. It seems to be jack of all trades, master of none so I never feel like im in my element using it. Ive tried a AC10, ML and SSRM's and an XL. Recently with an AC20 and 4 SSRM's. Ive gotten some good damages and alot of kills, but it never feels right.

As a straight up brawler it packs a bit more punch than my centurion, but lacks its amazing unkillability. In fact, my centurion ripps SH's appart for breakfast.

As a long range direct fire build it lacks the slots for a decent array of ballistic weapons.

Edited by bowlie, 28 November 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#170 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

I was having real trouble feeling out my hawk, but just dropped in this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a8192804034016b

It packs a really big punch at any range, and makes great use of the shadowhawk's attributes. Also, you can run it in any shadow hawk.

That said, this is definitely a work in progress. Can anyone give me some input on what to improve on it?

#171 bowlie

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Very generic sniper. Im having quite alot of fun with a 2 x UC2, AC5 and 3 x streaks. Nice long range fire power and some light mech protection. Balances heat ok, but painfully slow. I guess it stops me from charging in too quick.

#172 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

Shadowhawks are sniper scouts. Period.

Pop the biggest XL engine in, with speed tweak, and its a 55 ton scout mech that can be shot up without dying.

Load up with ER LL, AC2, or ER PPC and ur perfect for long range sniping and support.

Speed kills. cap behind an enemy force, or flank them and pound on rear armor with any of the above weapons in combo, and u can take down even a modified atlas quick.

Very OP for its weight class. great VS lights if using ac2 and ER LL, great vs ECM's with PPC, excellent heat management, can both draw and dodge fire due to heavy weapons loadout and high speed.

Only mech I see being better would be a Ryoken...and we will have 2 wait for clans to come out for that 1.

#173 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostArctcwolf, on 02 December 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Shadowhawks are sniper scouts. Period.

Ummm, no. Mine does pretty well in mid-range or up close. Shadow Hawks are mediums. They're the work horses and they do it very well.

#174 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 02 December 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

Ummm, no. Mine does pretty well in mid-range or up close. Shadow Hawks are mediums. They're the work horses and they do it very well.

Only if the majority of damage is being fielded by heavies or assaults. u cant be guaranteed that u will have many heavies or assaults in your drop.

If im the guy doing the heavy damage, then I will be the target...and mediums dont have the armor to stand toe 2 toe with assaults. It has the room for a 360 engine for a reason...

Stick and move...like a boxer...fire a few volleys and move...circle around enemy position and flank them...last i checked it dont take much more than a few AC2 rounds and a ppc hit on a rear center torso to core out a heavy or assault. How do u think ur gonna get back there?

#175 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostArctcwolf, on 05 December 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Only if the majority of damage is being fielded by heavies or assaults. u cant be guaranteed that u will have many heavies or assaults in your drop.

If im the guy doing the heavy damage, then I will be the target...and mediums dont have the armor to stand toe 2 toe with assaults. It has the room for a 360 engine for a reason...

Stick and move...like a boxer...fire a few volleys and move...circle around enemy position and flank them...last i checked it dont take much more than a few AC2 rounds and a ppc hit on a rear center torso to core out a heavy or assault. How do u think ur gonna get back there?

Sounds like something other than a sniper scout to me.

#176 HaizenGriff

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

View PostArctcwolf, on 02 December 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Shadowhawks are sniper scouts. Period....

This is actually really wrong, the Shadow hawk has great hitboxes for keeping your CT alive while taking fire from the front, and it has undying hardpoints in the head and chest.

Do this, put 3xsrm 6's in your mid section and a 4x in the head, load up on at least 2 tons of ammo, put it in your feet like all smart pilots do. it doesn't really matter what else you do at this point. Viola, you can brawl.

This is in the 1st variant with only 1 ballistic hardpoint in left torso (Which also makes you a better brawler btw, people will be inclined to automatically shoot at your right side)

I don't really think there is much else to say.. put more armor on the front left side than your back, and split your mid armor with the rear nearly evenly because the back of your mech has such a large profile in the middle........

Also as a closing note The 4g hunchie will forever be a classic. And the shadowhawk still can't touch a 4p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gg that is all

#177 ZuFFuLuZ

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 64 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Did anyone ever try a 360 engine? I just did, combined with an Lb-10x. It's hilarious and I did 600 dmg the first round I played it. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7787c585290fdc6

EDIT: I am really liking this Posted Image

Edited by ZuFFuLuZ, 11 December 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#178 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostHaizenGriff, on 06 December 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

And the shadowhawk still can't touch a 4p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gg that is all

Doesn't need to. The BJ-1X cornered that market with alacrity.

Frankly the HBKs are the most under-used chassis in my mechbay now. I've got too many other mechs that can do the same things better.

#179 Cellinor

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

updating my mechs with CW (i.e. STD engine etc.) in mind. my 2d2 has been my best performer with an AC20 build. However I have been trying to increase my range. Quirks are ballistic range & cooldown. I have messed with:
4x SSRM2 + AC5 + 2 ML
4x SSRM2 + MG + 2 LL

But neither have the punch I am looking for. I have another brawler build (SRM 6s & 4s) that is good but it has no range.

What is working for y'all?

#180 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

My best is
engine :xl350
4 srm4 witth artemis and 2 med lasers.
450 missiles run out often but you bring the damage and can apply it..

Only ac build that i got working is
2ac5 and a ER Large laser

Edited by deanon, 16 January 2015 - 07:47 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users