Shadowhawk Discussion Time.

186 replies to this topic

#61 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostJohnny Two Legs, on 23 July 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Not too sure what you mean by the volleys - why would they fire at separate times unless you deliberately stagger the firing sequence?

Not the count of tubes for missiles over all is important, also the the different number of tubes for each weaponslot decides if you can fire the used SRM in one or two volleys.
For example:
You got 2 tubes in the head, so if you place a SRM2 in there you will fire one volley of two missiles. But if you place a SRM4 there, you will fire 2 missiles at a time in 2 volleys with some time between both. (don't know the exact number)
--> aiming at moving targets with this is difficult and you will miss with a lot of missiles... so a smaller SRM is more effectiv most of the time.

For the same reason SRM6 in your torso are a problem, because you have got 5 tubes in there, which would cause a second volley.

This works for LRMs too. (Chainfire a LRM20 in 4 volleys!) :)

#62 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

It can play the long-range game if you don't mind using a 275XL.

ER PPC/Gauss Rifle

Like with most of my mechs though, I will probably make another pub brawler out of it. :)

Also gonna be fun chasing down pub lights with 3 MGs, 3 Streaks and a Large Laser with max XL engine and BAP.

Edited by Elizander, 24 July 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#63 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

This will be how my Shadowhawk look like on day 1.
3 AC/2 w/ 4t
3 SSRM2 w/1t
280XL
11DHS
2 JJ
ES
FF
SHD-2H
Mechromancer SHD-2H

I get the feeling Im going to die to ammo explosion frequently.

Edited by xengk, 24 July 2013 - 05:38 AM.

#64 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:32 AM

My brawler if the shadowhawk is xl safe: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...930fa5de20667ec and if not: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dd6732d14be3995
(I know case is useless with an xl but i have a standard engine version and not enough space to do anything other than have case lol)

#65 StygianSon

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Going to try this out personally. Suppose I have a softness for Kurita-like variants. If only MRMs existed in game.

SHD-2H

Edited by Chillblains, 24 July 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#66 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostBenjamin Davion, on 27 June 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

I would not be surprised to see the Shadow Hawk have an even better twist-rate and arc than the Hunchie. It's always been billed as an extremely manueverable mech. That said, it'll be hard to tell before we get our hands on the thing if it will entirely usurp the Hunchie. Somehow I doubt that happens though. THe Hunchie is a popular build for a reason.

That would be suprising as the HBK can already shoot at targets pretty much behind it with the arms.

#67 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostJIN1987, on 23 July 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

Not the count of tubes for missiles over all is important, also the the different number of tubes for each weaponslot decides if you can fire the used SRM in one or two volleys.
For example:
You got 2 tubes in the head, so if you place a SRM2 in there you will fire one volley of two missiles. But if you place a SRM4 there, you will fire 2 missiles at a time in 2 volleys with some time between both. (don't know the exact number)
--> aiming at moving targets with this is difficult and you will miss with a lot of missiles... so a smaller SRM is more effectiv most of the time.

For the same reason SRM6 in your torso are a problem, because you have got 5 tubes in there, which would cause a second volley.

This works for LRMs too. (Chainfire a LRM20 in 4 volleys!) :)

Ahh, I see what you mean :-)

#68 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

The more I think about this 'Mech, the more I think either a MPLS or ER/PPC would be the best fit for the energy slot. Why? Because this variant has a shield arm. It's probably not as absurdly durable as the Centurion's (we'll see how the zombie arm hitbox turns out), but being able to squeeze off an instant or short-pulse blast and then twist out of return fire is really powerful.

I think I like the idea of a LLAS in the arm more, since it seems to fit the "flavor" of the 'Mech better (I guess...) And it saves you tonnage over the PPC and gives you a lot more flexibility than the MPLS. But given you've also got a bunch of missiles and a big-*** ballistic, fire-and-twist would probably be a powerful tactic.

Unless you're running MGs. In which case I salute you heartily and ask you to discount everything I just said! :) Also I guess if you have a UAC/5 or an AC/2 array, you can ignore it too.

Edited by Lyoncet, 25 July 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#69 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

This will be my build [SHD-2H]: 3xMG, 2xSSRM, LRM15, TAG, 325XL, DHS, Endo

Primary role is to provide fire support in killing lights - 2 tones of ammo for lrms. tag as needed with pop tart potential, fast response for base cap with fire power to handle lights.
second use is to hunt lights in a short radius to the main group mg's and ssrm, lrms+tag if able
third once armor opens up on larger targets.. flank, hit and run on week spots with mg's

At all times stay behind main lines... unless a single or double flanking situation arises.

#70 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

I think I`ll drive mine as a light hunter first and adapt it from there....

360XL
ERLL
3x SSRM-2
3x MG
2 tons of ammo each
2 JJs
BAP

#71 BlackJackRaider

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThe nordic hinterland of the Midwest

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostLyoncet, on 03 July 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

SHD-2H

Mind you I'd never really recommend this build. I think the SHD is the wrong chassis to go boating AC/2s - although I've had success in months past with a triple AC/2 Dragon 5N. Just keep in mind that it takes a very particular playstyle to make that kind of loadout work. I'm pretty certain the Shadow Hawk is capable of it, but not having had my hands on it it's impossible to tell.

I know people who have also done very well with the triple AC2 Dragon. The two biggest complaints I've heard: Torso mounted guns would be harder to shoot off, and the arms fire from a fairly low position so you have to expose too much of the mech. The Shadow Hawk's high mounted torso ballistics take care of these problems. Strip off almost all the armor on both arms, and you can do this: SHD-2H

It's decently fast, has max jumping capability to reach good sniper perches, and has 6 tons of ammo. I'm not sure if that's enough, I seem to recall trip AC2 Dragons carrying 7-8tons for a match, but I might be misremembering that.

#72 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

SHD-2H
Sort of like a medium Victor. I like AC10s.

SHD-2H
More close up.

Both are assuming xl engines will work.

#73 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b659fe2e3dccb0e

I'll be playing something like this, and there's absolutely nothing you can do or say that'll stop me.

#74 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a9b6890230412f6

Nice and simple and to the point. Unfamiliar with JJs so I'm not sure if one can be dropped and still have the same results.

Edited by Garfuncle, 25 July 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#75 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 27 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

I feel as long as the shadowhawk doesn't have its twist arc near as big as the hunchback's, the hunchback will remain the superior brawler, and would not be replaced by the shadowhawk. Granted, this would mean that any long range builds on the hunch would be better suited on the shadowhawk, but I'd much rather that than a complete usurpation.

Shadowhawk has jj to supplement twist.

#76 Dadrick

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

I'm planning to run my Shadow Hawk with a dual AC5 build. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9bd8d1f313caf69

#77 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

I'm sure people have mentioned this before, but my build would eventually be determined by the size of this 'Mech - whether it's good with an XL. Before that, being a sucker for mid-range/brawling this is all I can think of: STD250, 10DHS, Endo, FF, 1xJJ, 1xAC20(3ton), 3xSSRM2(1ton), 1xML.

#78 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

I've been growing more and more fond of the AC/10 lately, and with the buff to SRMs (and nerf to SSRMs), the following build's looking a little more inviting:

SHD-2H Striker
AC/10 (3t)
2 SRM 6 (2t)
1 MPLS
3/3 jump jets
275 XL engine
10 heatsinks
ES, DHS
40 alpha strike, 4.99 sustained DPS, 43% cooling, 89 km/h, 368/370 armor

The numbers are deceptively high because missiles never give you their full damage value. The thing with this build is that it's ostensibly short-range, but the AC/10 lets you do some good damage much further out. It's on the slow end of Shadowhawk builds, but once I sat back and looked at it, I realized that it's the same speed as most Hunchbacks, or a Dragon with a 300 engine.

You can also set this up with 3 SRM 4, but you still end up with an awkward two-salvo shot. You gain a slight boost to your DPS at a slight hit to your heat efficiency, and you also have to move one ton of ammo to the shield arm. Overall it's kind of a tossup IMO. It uses a MPLS over a MLAS for a couple reasons: it helps a little with your ammo dependency, you run pretty cool anyways, you have your AC/10 for striking at medium ranges, and it would help a lot more against lights.

Generally I think that running a 300, 325, or 350 XL would work out better on the Shadowhawk, but this seems like one of the better alpha-oriented brawling configurations out there.

Edited by Lyoncet, 29 July 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#79 Jaykos

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:19 AM

Nice to see a good variety of builds here that all look pretty much viable. Defiantly hoping that this mech is xl friendly.

#80 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostJaykos, on 30 July 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

Nice to see a good variety of builds here that all look pretty much viable. Defiantly hoping that this mech is xl friendly.

(Derp, posted about the Blackjack here since I thought I was in a different thread.)

Yeah, in my opinion the 2H variant at least will really need to run well with an XL to be that useful. The lack of energy hardpoints means you need to run pretty bulky weapons to carry much punch, and I feel like the potential builds will be really stifled if XLs end up being too vulnerable. I've really only found a few builds that work better on a Shadowhawk with a standard engine that other chassis can't do just as well but more reliably on account of having more energy hardpoints.

Edited by Lyoncet, 30 July 2013 - 04:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users