Ask The Devs 41 - Answered!

270 replies to this topic

#41 darkfall13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Training and Normal would not work as this would imply an offline mode for 3PV which is not the case.

Yeah... like "Testing Grounds" doesn't do that at all :D ... try again PGI

#42 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Greetings all,

Spelling police here.

You know you have spelled this wrong for the last 4 Dev.'s Answers?

- Miscenalleous -

Correct spelling - Miscellaneous.

Just saying, as I regularly repost most of the questions and answers, and have had to correct this each time.

Later,
9erRed

#43 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

View Postdarkfall13, on 28 June 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

I think he meant "Offline" as in how the training ground is currently in a local server environment... which could be considered an "offline" mode as you're not in a live match nor hooked-up to the game's matchmaking servers.

Calling 3PV "training mode" would make it sound like something you do to test weapons, shoot at a couple odd bots, etc... like the Testing Grounds is (and sounds like it is).

Edited by Prosperity Park, 28 June 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#44 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 28 June 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

I've read too many threads that have founders mentioning it over and over and over. OBVIOUSLY NOT ALL FOUNDERS SHARE IN THAT. However, I also keep seeing photos of exacting statements from the devs speaking EXPLICITLY ABOUT 3PV INCLUSION IN THE GAME. It's not as if it wasn't a well mentioned point that has come time after time.

I will not speak for founders, but it is not as if Founders haven't mentioned it time after time is a fallacy at best. It has been said, it doesn't mean ALL OF THEM ARE SAYING IT.

I'm a founder and I detest the idea of 3PV

#45 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostENS Puskin, on 28 June 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

This is your individual feeling and i disagree, usually one team totaly annihilate the other.

That has nothing to do with balance.

#46 Tex Mechs Robot

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

View Postdarkfall13, on 28 June 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

except that Testing Grounds IS offline (in the sense that you are the only non-NPC on the map and the results don't affect the meta). so it fits in that regard. by calling something "Training" or "Testing" and then pitting them against other players in a situation that holds weight in the meta would be misleading.

#47 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

While I am excited by the bit saying you will post about CW and the clans soon, a date would have been nice. PGI seems to operate on Valve time, and soon could mean three months hence.

#48 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Holy balls, way to basically have a non-answer for pretty much everything.

The 3PV answers ******* away. Wow.

#49 darkfall13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostTex Mechs Robot, on 28 June 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

except that Testing Grounds IS offline (in the sense that you are the only non-NPC on the map and the results don't affect the meta). so it fits in that regard. by calling something "Training" or "Testing" and then pitting them against other players in a situation that holds weight in the meta would be misleading.

View PostProsperity Park, on 28 June 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

I think he meant "Offline" as in how the training ground is currently in a local server environment... which could be considered an "offline" mode as you're not in a live match nor hooked-up to the game's matchmaking servers.

Calling 3PV "training mode" would make it sound like something you do to test weapons, shoot at a couple odd bots, etc... like the Testing Grounds is (and sounds like it is).

Except you must have a functioning internet connection to access the Testing Grounds or you aren't making it past the login screen, so it is by definition *not* offline, sure you're not on the matchmaking servers, but you are *online.*

And possibly calling 1PV "hardcore" makes sense because only hardcore pilots actually sit inside and pilot the damn thing? How do you want to fit that into the meta? And when it has been specifically said MULTIPLE times that supposedly new people favor 3PV implementation because they can't figure out how their legs work, then how is 3PV *not* training wheels mode, testing mode, vanilla shake or whatever the hell else you want to call it?

Edited by darkfall13, 28 June 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#50 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Somebody please get me off this beta back burner!

You're losing me fellas.... notice you're missing about a hundred dollars per month for two months?

It's staying that way for me. :D

#51 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

So... when exactly is UI 2.0 supposed to launch? Seems like that is holding everything up while at the same time being nothing more than window dressing.

#52 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

View Postaniviron, on 28 June 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

While I am excited by the bit saying you will post about CW and the clans soon, a date would have been nice. PGI seems to operate on Valve time, and soon could mean three months hence.

Soon could be months and months but things planned for the very distant future are obviously for pre-launch.

#53 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Is Valve time™ trademarked yet?

At this rate, its Clans in a year, or two. They said 3052 is a good year...

Edited by Deathlike, 28 June 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#54 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

not even. valve will say we are making a game. its done when its done. no promises of a time table or anything. no bits of info no teases. then all of sudden its like ow CS:GO is at this year gaming expo, have fun with it. its this false promises that get ya.

#55 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Training and Normal would not work as this would imply an offline mode for 3PV which is not the case.

I beg to differ with this one example : Training Wheels for a bicycle. You take the wheels off and it's still a bike and you ride wherever you rode the bike while it had the training wheels on.

Ed Steele: Any chance that you will allow us to remove actuators or add custom actuators to add custom "quirks" to our mechs? I personally would not even mind if I had to spend MC to do this, it would allow us to make a more personally customized mech.
A: It hasn’t been discussed internally yet.]

O Yea, let's make MW:O forteza or Heavy Gears now. Where in the lore/canon does it suggest that this was even possible.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 28 June 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#56 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostScarcer, on 28 June 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'm a founder, unlike you. I want 3PV, unlike you. Voice your opinions for yourself, not yours for us.

He did not say "ALL" founders he just said Founders who paid to not have 3PV. His was a general use of the term in the plural and he was accurate, just not precise. I was one of those Founders. You needn't have gotten your skivvies in a wad.

#57 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 28 June 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

Nope.. except for maybe adding most next to Founders.

View PostScarcer, on 28 June 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'm a founder, unlike you. I want 3PV, unlike you. Voice your opinions for yourself, not yours for us.

View PostGremlich Johns, on 28 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

He did not say "ALL" founders he just said Founders who paid to not have 3PV. His was a general use of the term in the plural and he was accurate, just not precise. I was one of those Founders. You needn't have gotten your skivvies in a wad.

Rejoiced at the mention that MWO will have 3PV. Look at the 3rd Person threads and I think all the 1st Person only players have wedgies...and yes, I did say all...

#58 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Wow I sat down again... and read walls of bold text questions for once again one liners!

All I got from that AtD was that the majority of playability options like the integrated comms and a hud rework is after launch, seriously need that comm's for pug gaming over 3 months back when it was talked about... ignoring CW questions because you have a CC post coming is also a foolish move, unless you want to date that CW post incoming, then answer relevant questions so we get an idea of our expectations.

Another answer that erked me was the SRM one, why do we need to wait on a CC post about one of the biggest screw ups to the current balance! SRM's need to be fixed, they need to be buffed, and the answers have to be found pretty soon. The current PPC/Guass meta is rampant, brawling is still under gunned because one of the main weapons, SRM's, are worthless on the battlefield.

So once again a non-answer AtD, with no real meat to it's substance. Still makes me think they overstretched themselves with their workload and we're now paying the price... I also heard that the timeline was thrown out the window as 'fluff' now, is this correct?

#59 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

A: Consumables are designed and priced in a way that forces players to make a buying decision. They offer enough battlefield power to warrant having to sacrifice potential match earnings.

I know I'm probably not the only one who saw this and perked an eyebrow.

Nothing the current consumable modules do is really worth their cost.

The only ones that come close are those based around the information warfare concept... and the game has little to offer right now for it to make sense to dump 40K C-bills into a one-time use item that can cut my earnings down by 80-40%, depending upon whether or not our team wins and how many savior kills I'm luckily credited with.

If the pressure were turned up on the game-to-game meta, then some of the consumables start to appear far more valuable (though I don't see how you're going to make artillery and air strikes work in a 'balanced yet effective' manner). It's my observation that consumables will be nearly impossible to balance until CW comes along and the results of a match actually matter beyond kill ratios and earned C-bills to put toward building your next toy.

#60 Rick Rawlings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 28 June 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

A: We communicate regularly, several times per day in fact. The forums are a really big place and we all spend time in different areas.

... :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users