- - - - -

Heat Scales And General Update - Feedback

1084 replies to this topic

Poll: Heat Scales And General Update - Feedback (2742 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want SRMs buffed to 2.0 damage until the hit detection is fixed?

1. Voted Yes, please do it, it’s better than nothing. (2007 votes [73.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.65%

2. Voted No, please wait until hit detection is working and balance it to where it’s supposed to be. (718 votes [26.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.35%

Vote

#21 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostGlucose, on 11 July 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Yeah I feel like this is implemented a little wrong.

Wouldn't it make sense to have an Alpha Limit value of 10.

Each PPC is 5 alpha limit, each ER PPC is 5 alpha limit.

Each Ac20 is 10 alpha limit.

Now if you fire any combination of weapons in a single alpha strike you'll want to fit under the spread? Do we really care that they are exactly the same weapon type?

The interesting part of this system, is then you can assign different alpha limits to different mechs. You could let the hunchback be more of an alpha striker.. for example.

This is a pretty cool idea, nice!

#22 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

they could just increase PPC heat by 1. and it would solve the issue.

this system is nice to have in place though, for when more powerful weapons like the clan comes into play.

#23 Tsunamisan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Th way i see it is table top was always 2.0 for Srm so why should they be less here if anything they should be more. We have plenty of long range punch in the game but we do not have a really short range punch besides AC20s. SRMs being 2,0 would bring back allot of the brawler build instead of everyone being qa PPC/gauss sniper.

#24 ThePieMaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 155 posts
  • LocationNew Canton, Griffin Base

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

PPC/ERPPC should count as the same weapon honestly...

#25 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 11 July 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Oh lastly, did you account for the fact that the Awesome has 3 PPC's in cannon?

I really hope a new quirk is added for the appropriate Awesome variants that allows a 3 PPC/ERPPC alpha with no additional heat penalty.

#26 Tie Ma

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

they can't even balance the ~5 variables in this game correctly, how will they be able to balance adding two variables Max Alpha and heat penalty correctly

#27 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Oh... and to the poll question: Yes. Very much yes. I seldom wasted standard SRMs on lights as it was. That's what Streaks are for.

#28 Fishhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm assuming the Pulse version limitations are the same as the non-pulse versions?

#29 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostCache, on 11 July 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

I really hope a new quirk is added for the appropriate Awesome variants that allows a 3 PPC/ERPPC alpha with no additional heat penalty.

Quirks would be a great way to allow mech's that are intended to run lots of a single weapon.. examples being the Awesome's 3 PPC's, Warhawk's 4 ER PPC's and the nova's 12 ER medium's etc

#30 Ozric

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostThePieMaker, on 11 July 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

PPC/ERPPC should count as the same weapon honestly...

Garth confirmed on the 12vs12 stream that currently they are separate, but they will be brought together at a later date.

#31 Buso Senshi Zelazny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York, USA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostGlucose, on 11 July 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Yeah I feel like this is implemented a little wrong.

Wouldn't it make sense to have an Alpha Limit value of 10.

Each PPC is 5 alpha limit, each ER PPC is 5 alpha limit.

Each Ac20 is 10 alpha limit.

Now if you fire any combination of weapons in a single alpha strike you'll want to fit under the spread? Do we really care that they are exactly the same weapon type?

The interesting part of this system, is then you can assign different alpha limits to different mechs. You could let the hunchback be more of an alpha striker.. for example.

This is very similar to the idea proposed by another user on this forum:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2439017

#32 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well I can say I am not a fan of the new heat system where you take damage past 100%. The entire point of mech shutdown is to protect the mech from overheat damage. If someone overrides then by all means damage away, but they should not take damage while shut down. If you want have the heat decay at a slower rate for anything over 100% so they are shut down for longer and at greater risk.

As for the weapons personally they all look fine except large lasers and medium lasers. Large lasers should have an alpha cap of 3 and mediums should have an alpha cap of 7.

#33 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

2.5 dmg for SRM's would surely be too much but 2.0 is a given even after hit detection issues are fixed. Current 1.5 is just too little for the heat and tonnage especially for SRM2 and SRM4. The problem still remains that SRM6 is way overpowered compared to SRM2. You need to balance this weapon family within itself as well.

Seems to me that most 4 PPC builds are using 2 PPCs combined with 2 ER PPCs even now. So they are not affected at all, really? If so, then this max alpha thingy is a complete failure.

EDIT: By the way, many weapons missing from the table. Most importantly LRM20 while LRM15 is present. Surely this is just a mishap?

Edited by arghmace, 11 July 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#34 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

SRM Buff: Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

I realise this will make SRM's brutal against large mechs. You know what? I'm ok with that. Strong brawling weapons makes brawling more appealing in a Sniper meta. More people packing 270m range weapons that have a strong incentive to push that gap will make the game better.

I want to see Assault mechs as more than sniper/LRM platforms. Those are valid roles, but... hello, brawling!

#35 GingerBang

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationThe Airport Hilton

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

This is easily the least intelligent design i have seen from PGI to date. This arbitrary weapon penalty is just stupid. i'm sorry PGI, but it is. Heat should revolve around the mechs ability to distribute it, not whether or not you are firing some random number of weapons. It makes sense that 2 PPC's breaks a heat limit on a hunchback, but on an awesome too? Why on earth would an awesome suffer the same heat penalty as a hunchback when firing PPC's?

Seriously PGI, what is your reasoning behind this? It makes no sense what so ever to me. Not only does it seem like it is just going to DESTROY game balance (like it isn't already shot), but it is going to hurt mechs that already hurt. At the very least make these heat penalties custom to each mech just like all the other quirks. Put in some effort for once instead of doing a blanket "fix" that works for 3 mechs and breaks 9. This is why so many people no longer like your game. Ridiculous blanket strategy design changes are why people keep leaving your game. This is why you are currently the laughing stock of the free to play world. I'm not trying to be mean, i'm trying to be honest. This, does not make sense, at all. You need to go back to the drawing table, or put at least SOME effort into crafting these characteristics for EACH MECH. An Awesome should not be penalized for firing two PPC's out of his right torso, and then firing 1 more out of its left arm, with 19 heat sinks seperating the PPC on the LEFT ARM, to the weapons fired on the RIGHT TORSO.

Posted Image

Here is the real question though. Did PGI even think about stalkers mounting 2 PPC's and 2 ER-PPC's? Hello free fire, so long heat penalty! (AND PGI ANSWERED!! THE ANSWER IS WORSE THAN THE QUESTION!!!! So it turns out PPC's are going to be lumped into the same catagory, ergo firing 2 PPC's and a third ERPPC will give you the same heat penalty as firing 3 PPC's.)

Posted Image

Edited by GingerBang, 11 July 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#36 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

How long do I have to wait before firing again to not to incur the penalty. Say I fire group 1 with 6 ML, do I then have to wait for the beam to disappear, 0.5s or can I immediately press button 2 and fire of the other 3?

View PostFishhawk, on 11 July 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'm assuming the Pulse version limitations are the same as the non-pulse versions?

Also this.

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 11 July 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#37 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

I said it before (quietly and to the people I play with), the day the max alpha heat mechanic gets pushed into the game is the day I get pushed out (as in uninstall). Something needs to be done about boating, but it is the worst possible solution. It has no base in logic, serves only to fix PPC boating, is incredibly easy to manipulate and ignore (replace 2 PPCs with 2 ERPPCs and suddenly its back to normal), and just shows that the developers are unwilling to make material and substantive systems changes, preferring simply to put ill advised bandaids on systemic meta issues. I wouldn't be quitting because it's a bad system (it's awful), I'd be quitting because PGI would once and for all have proven that they're bad game designers and that this game is destined for the trashheap. No more hope, no more holding out, just total abandonment.

Even your own community, which is normally head over heels for any heat scaling change no matter how stupid doesn't appear to like this idea.

Oh, and buff SRMs I guess. It took you a year to notice that A1's were 2 shotting assaults (in fact, you said it was fine) and several months to notice that the weapons weren't registering hits (in fact, you said it was fine). I'm sure my grandkids will appreciate a slightly buffed SRM platform when all of it gets sorted out.

Edited by Shumabot, 11 July 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#38 Nasty McBadman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationPhilly 'Burbs

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostCache, on 11 July 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

I love my AWS-9M and I run 3ERPPC and I think I should have a heat penalty if I alpha them. Constant alpha strike IS the problem. I would love a convergence change for alpha as well.

#39 Iason

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Garth was streaming with Phil till a few minutes ago and said that, at the beginning, PPC and ERPPC will be seperated, but will later count as the same. So the 2 PPC+ 2ERPPC build will has the same problem as the 4 PPC or 4 ERPPC build.

#40 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Fine. bump SRM damage to 2.0. DO NOT BUMP STREAKS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users