- - - - -

Heat Scales And General Update - Feedback

1084 replies to this topic

Poll: Heat Scales And General Update - Feedback (2742 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want SRMs buffed to 2.0 damage until the hit detection is fixed?

1. Voted Yes, please do it, it’s better than nothing. (2007 votes [73.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.65%

2. Voted No, please wait until hit detection is working and balance it to where it’s supposed to be. (718 votes [26.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.35%

Vote

#41 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostObsidianSpectre, on 11 July 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: This alpha strike heat penalty is one of the worst ways you could fix the current metagame problems. Balance the weapons themselves and you don't need silly "too many powerful weapons" penalties.

Yes, the "too powerful weapon penalty" that is slated to nerf the medium laser, srm2/4, and only the lrm15 but not 5 10 or 20. And gauss, gauss is apparently just fine- or maybe it was just too hard to think of a proper solution, since adding heat percentage to gauss is a non-penalty anyway.

#42 BlueSanta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 373 posts
  • LocationUS

SRMs should put the fear of God into PPC boaters hiding in the backfield. Many of the heavies and assaults on the field are loading up on PPCs, so I have no problem if they learn to fear the Splat again. BUT, before you implement this damage increase, PLEASE implement the SSRM targeting fix, or else their coring potential will be even further increased than it already is.

I really don't care for this heat scale idea. It shafts the poor Awesome, and what the heck did a Swayback ever do to you, Paul? These mechs aren't the problem. It's like sniping with a shotgun. A 6 PPC Stalker can still fire once and strip all of my outer armor off. Unless you plan on shutting him down for 30-60+ seconds or more, what does he care, especially at range?

Glad to see you taking the 120% number down to 100. Might need to increase the damage done, though. We'll have to see how easy it is to overheat if you insist on putting the heat scale in.

#43 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

View PostAshnod, on 11 July 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Quirks would be a great way to allow mech's that are intended to run lots of a single weapon.. examples being the Awesome's 3 PPC's, Warhawk's 4 ER PPC's and the nova's 12 ER medium's etc

To be fair, only the Awesome could handle one alpha without negative heat effects, although it did build a little extra heat (+2). The Nova's sinks couldn't handle half of the heat from an alpha. In fact, if a Nova alpha'd it would shut down instantly. The Warhawk's DHS could only handle firing 3 ERPPC's at once with 5 extra heat gained.

#44 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

What a shocker, the SRM balance change everyone has been yelling at the devs about for 3+ months is the overwhelming favourite. I can't believe it took this long and a poll to do what was painfully obvious to the rest of us. I'm sorry I can't phrase this 'constructively' because you guys don't deserve a pass on this.

Edited by GaussDragon, 11 July 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#45 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

The problem is CONVERGENCE.

Let me say it again. The problem is CONVERGENCE.

Weapons converge too well and too fast. If you fix that, most of the overpowered ballistic alphas won't matter because they will splash over an entire mech just like the missile-alphas and laser-alphas do instead of being perfectly concentrated on a single panel hit in all cases.

#46 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

View PostIason, on 11 July 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Garth was streaming with Phil till a few minutes ago and said that, at the beginning, PPC and ERPPC will be seperated, but will later count as the same. So the 2 PPC+ 2ERPPC build will has the same problem as the 4 PPC or 4 ERPPC build.

Oh well, I guess it's time for 2 ERPPC + Gauss Highlanders! Stalkers can just use macros or buy a Misery and copy the Highlander.

#47 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

As far as heat and alphas have it affect convergence, walking, turning, jumping and vision. Just set it up kinda like the TT heatscale and have lasers. ac fire, ppcs, lock times etc., etc. If a engine crit slot is hit boost heat. It doesn't have to be exact but it would help.

If you can wobble a cursor when a mech jumps and the weapons shoot everywhere why not when your at 75+ percent heat?

#48 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Stalkers will just have to switch from 4 PPCs to 2 PPCs + 2 ER PPCs.

/facepalm

#49 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

This man has it right:

View PostObsidianSpectre, on 11 July 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: This alpha strike heat penalty is one of the worst ways you could fix the current metagame problems. Balance the weapons themselves and you don't need silly "too many powerful weapons" penalties.

Putzing around with generating extra heat based on an arbitrary number of weapons fired does nothing to change the importance of high-alpha weapons in the current metastrategy. If you look at the fullteam queue, most players are in Heavies/Assaults with two or more PPCs and a gauss rifle. 12v12 has simply exasperated this issue.

#50 Tsunamisan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostJonathan Paine, on 11 July 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Fine. bump SRM damage to 2.0. DO NOT BUMP STREAKS!

Streaks wil be fin buffed when they get the new hit model for them in but GOOD GOD do not buff them first.

#51 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostSybreed, on 11 July 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

/facepalm

Wasn't that already the standard loadout anyway? It's as if these changes address nothing and are badly designed.

#52 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

View PostWeaselball, on 11 July 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

It's frankly insulting that PGI would even need to ask this question.

"Hey community, we know you've been asking for SRM damage buffs for upwards of 3+ months, but..... do you want their damage buffed?"

I don't find it insulting at all. I see the question as, "There is a serious potential for a great imbalance. The pendulum will swing far in the opposite direction--something you have complained loudly about in the past. Do you really want to go there right now?"

#53 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Paul thanks for letting us vote on what gets done for SRMs while hit detection is addressed. My argument against SRMs getting a damage boost to 2 per missile is I believe that it is a bit too much. I run 2 ASRM6s on my Heavy Metal now and at under 100 meters it is like being hit with a AC20 (yes the twin SRM6s hit one section up close) that weighs 10 tons and has a faster firing rate. A buff like this was done in the Closed Beta with the PPCs and after they addressed HSR the meta drastically changed towards PPC boating. I can see the forums being flooded with "SRMs are OP nerf them now!" like they do now with PPCs. Personally I find PPCs to be fine balance wise but being able to take an assault mech out and drill a pin point alpha of 40 damage at 540-810 meters is not balanced; pin point being the big issue. It is no different than the AC40 Jagermech but since that is a glass cannon and only can do that at 270 meters with limited ammo no one complains about it. By wanting 2 damage for SRMs now instead of being patient is a form of instant gratification and that worries me that it might be too hasty and afterwards if it is too powerful and we cry for a nerf PGI will just say that they told us so. As for everyone crying that the Max Alpha mechanic will not work and is saying how stupid PGI is for trying it; can we just wait and see how it works before the knee jerk reactions???

Edited by FireSlade, 11 July 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#54 Shumabot

• 1,695 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostPropagandaWar, on 11 July 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

As far as heat and alphas have it affect convergence, walking, turning, jumping and vision. Just set it up kinda like the TT heatscale and have lasers. ac fire, ppcs, lock times etc., etc. If a engine crit slot is hit boost heat. It doesn't have to be exact but it would help.

If you can wobble a cursor when a mech jumps and the weapons shoot everywhere why not when your at 75+ percent heat?

That solution would make this game fundamentally unplayable. Stop suggesting it for every single problem this game has.

#55 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostFireSlade, on 11 July 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

As for everyone crying that the Max Alpha mechanic will not work and is saying how stupid PGI is for trying it; can we just wait and see how it works before the knee jerk reactions???

Why won't people stop complaining about the reflective safety belts?! What do you mean "it's dumb and won't work"?! Why can't we just use them and see if we reduce the number of people hit on the tarmac?!

#56 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostShumabot, on 11 July 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

That solution would make this game fundamentally unplayable. Stop suggesting it for every single problem this game has.

Not at all. If done right it would slow down the killing just a bit--something I hear needs to happen. This would be better than nerfing weapon damage across the board or buffing armor.

#57 Ken Fury

• 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostSybreed, on 11 July 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

/facepalm

Has already happened on the Testserver, Hghlanders run 2xPPC, 1xER PPC and Gauss. Predicted by all good players WEEKS ago.

#58 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

View PostCache, on 11 July 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

I don't find it insulting at all. I see the question as, "There is a serious potential for a great imbalance. The pendulum will swing far in the opposite direction--something you have complained loudly about in the past. Do you really want to go there right now?"

SRM's were only imballanced really on the Cat and with splash (Sort of because half the time they didnt hit). Im a hunchback pilot and what you get overal with SRM's is poo pure and simple. It was also something that was supposed to be handled months ago soooo. Yeah he has a right to go there. They were going to increase damage in increments it didn't happen. PPC heat deacrease and Pinpoint convergance along with other weapons like Artemis where the majority of missles hit CT and dual ac20's trainwrecking again with convergence at all ranges is the great imbalance.

#59 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts

View PostCache, on 11 July 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Not at all. If done right it would slow down the killing just a bit--something I hear needs to happen. This would be better than nerfing weapon damage across the board or buffing armor.

I agree, PGI should buff internal structure.

#60 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

I was a little concerned about the return of the Splatapults myself with a SRM damage buff, but I see that there would be a huge heat penalty for firing all six SRM-6 launchers at once, so that might be balanced in that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users