Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 22 May 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Well it has 6 tons of armor, only 10 points for each arm, 11 for the ct, and 8 for each side torso which is where the AC ammo is stored. One PPC shot to the right torso and you have a flaming trashcan. I'll be happy if they put this Mech in the game, that large AC should be an easy target, leaving you with a sm. laser. And just watch the videos showcasing assaults and realize that your trashcan will be moving slower than that, makes hitting a target..... er Urbanmech just that much easier.

Are you suggesting the UrbanMech is more fragile than the average Light Mech?

Anyways, I just made a better UrbanMech with a TT builder. Starting with a R60LG gauss-variant, I swapped-in an endosteel chassis and an XL engine, and dropped the small Laser to add Gaurdian ECM. Plus Gauss ammo doesn't explode, so no CASE, and if the Gauss Rifle, itself, explodes then you lose nothing but the arm and that's a sign that they were going to disarm you anyways, so... yeah. It's way better than the AC/10 variant, in my opinion.

I now have a jumping UrbanMech with Gauss and ECM... stay out of my neighborhood or I'll find you... and I'll find you before you find me.

#402 Odinn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã *Outside*

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 22 May 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Well it has 6 tons of armor, only 10 points for each arm, 11 for the ct, and 8 for each side torso which is where the AC ammo is stored. One PPC shot to the right torso and you have a flaming trashcan. I'll be happy if they put this Mech in the game, that large AC should be an easy target, leaving you with a sm. laser. And just watch the videos showcasing assaults and realize that your trashcan will be moving slower than that, makes hitting a target..... er Urbanmech just that much easier.

Urbies were built for what their name implies. URBAN COMBAT. Your PPC isn't going to do crap when you are walking down an urban street, your view blocked from all sides. Suddenly you are hit by multiple AC10 hits from urbanmechs that come out of hiding, fire, then fade back in.

Signing up for this. Lets get some Urbie action!

#403 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostOdinn, on 23 May 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

Urbies were built for what their name implies. URBAN COMBAT. Your PPC isn't going to do crap when you are walking down an urban street, your view blocked from all sides. Suddenly you are hit by multiple AC10 hits from urbanmechs that come out of hiding, fire, then fade back in.

Signing up for this. Lets get some Urbie action!

I love how the Urbies can see through walls and they are always shooting people in the back, what the rest of the Mech universe doesn't have their Xray vision. And where exactly are they 'hiding', now Urbanmechs are ninjas that just appear and disappear. I'll never understand the love for this Mech, based solely on the whole 'its gota BIG gun' approach. Its amazing how every post is about ambushing someone and shooting them in the back, I guess all Urbanmech pilots are precognitive to now exactly where enemies are going to appear (guess they have to be with that 30 kph speed.) God the Urbanmech is more like bigfoot for BT anymore, its legendary status just grows and grows.

#404 Tincan Nightmare

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 23 May 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Are you suggesting the UrbanMech is more fragile than the average Light Mech?

Anyways, I just made a better UrbanMech with a TT builder. Starting with a R60LG gauss-variant, I swapped-in an endosteel chassis and an XL engine, and dropped the small Laser to add Gaurdian ECM. Plus Gauss ammo doesn't explode, so no CASE, and if the Gauss Rifle, itself, explodes then you lose nothing but the arm and that's a sign that they were going to disarm you anyways, so... yeah. It's way better than the AC/10 variant, in my opinion.

I now have a jumping UrbanMech with Gauss and ECM... stay out of my neighborhood or I'll find you... and I'll find you before you find me.

And again the Urbanmech can find targets who remain blissfully unaware of its approach. I guess it was the first stealth Mech before the Capellans developed that armor. And your jumping is a whopping 60 meters, you probably can't even clear most of the buildings of the city your fighting in. And yes its armored pretty good for a light, but there are other designs with similar armor that carry equivalent firepower without sacrificing speed. God knows I'm going to need an umbrella for the rain coming down on me for my stance with everyones favorite ugly duckling Mech, but the Urbanmech is basically a slow moving turret. Oh and you added an XL engine, so I hope you increased your R/L torso armor or your design is gonna get killed pretty quick.

#405 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Signed.

#406 DarkJackal

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Many of the people that give examples of the Urbanmech doing something "awesome" construe a fantasy argument where the opponent is actively presenting himself to get owned by it. These are fanciful and unreliable examples that will almost never happen in a game with people actively playing to win. It sounds like they never had experience playing Battletech or moving a 2/3/2 'Mech around a hex board.

Nobody is going to walk by an Urbanmech and present their Rear Torso to an AC/10. The 'Mechs movement is too slow and it's jumping is appauling. 2 hexes to jump folks, that's it. A 20 ton Wasp can to 6 hexes which is very mobile and can position itself quite easily into the much fantasized rear torso than an Urbanmech could ever dream of doing. The Urbanmech is NOT an olympic jumper in urban combat.

It's a walking autocannon that is moving faster than infantry towed autocannon. That's about it. It sacrifices speed and has light armor to be a slow moving target just to mount a mid-range AC/10. The only selling point is that it's dirt cheap to fill a specific niche. However, you get what you paid for.

I'd prefer the devs work on adding other more useful 'Mechs than this one.

#407 Lucas Bright

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Another vote here in favor of the Urbanmech.

#408 See317

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

I like the Urbanmech.
In a world of bizarre limb angles (looking at you Kraken/Bane) and designs that shouldn't be physically able to stand (Yeoman), let alone move at any kind of speed without stumbling over it's own limbs (Falconer), the urbanmech takes a moment to remind us all that if we were to build a battlemech in the real world, chances are it wouldn't look very cool.

So, give me my short, doofy looking trashcan mech. Let me waddle around on the battlefield, gleefully blasting away at anything that moves (and probably a lot of things that don't). If you don't want to pilot one, that's your prerogative. Heck, if you really hate the design with the passion some of you seem to feel make it your mission to target Urbies first. It might be entertaining. You can even giggle maniacally as our short stumpy legs dry to desperately waddle our trashcans out of your targeting displays. Maybe record it and put it up on youtube to funny music (I'd suggest the Benny Hill theme, but I'm a sucker for the classics).

Hmm... picturing two teams chasing an AI controlled up-armored urbie around a field trying to get it to run into a goal. Urbie Soccer could be fun to play or watch. Quickly, off to the game mode suggestion thread!

Edit: Yes, I know I intentionally picked some of the most bizarre designs in my examples. And I'm sure there are a multitude of well designed, semi-realistic mechs just like the urbie.

Edited by See317, 25 May 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#409 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

weeeeelllll...i wouldn´t mind to have Urbies in MWO... i´d never drive one, but i would not cry if it is available... hmmm thinking about it...how about adding Urbies as Vanity-Pets? xD

#410 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostSee317, on 25 May 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

And I'm sure there are a multitude of well designed, semi-realistic mechs just like the urbie.

^ Best Part

#411 buckaroo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

WANT URBANMECH!!!

I did most of the MechCommander 2 campaign with salvaged Urbies.

Urbie Luv

#412 Boop_your_Face

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

I would love to see the Urbanmech be put into the game at some point. I would rather have a selection of mechs that can fill various roles rather then having a selection of mechs that can only fill one. I think the Urbanmech would be a great mech to add to the game at a later date.

*Edit* After stalking around the forms for a while I give my first post for the Urbanmech!

Edited by pieguy97b, 29 May 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#413 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

there NEEDs to maps or drops that only allows Urban Mechs , what better way to fight a war!

and if you dont have one you cant play.

#414 TriggerhappySOB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 129 posts
  • LocationMCAS Miramar, California

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

View PostGhost, on 31 October 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#415 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

There is one thing you cannot get around: There are heavier mechs with more armor, better weapons and higher jumping ranges. That said the Urbie is just a really bad JJ brawler.

On the other hand it's a very endearing trashcan. And few things are more humiliating than being killed by one. If people want it in the game, include it. I support the petition.

#416 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

I don't see why this mech should be excluded. More mechs, more fun. I'd rather have other mechs available from the get go, at a time when the chassis will be limited I feel this mech is a bit too specific. But after launch, as things get fleshed out, sure get the little guy into the mix.

#417 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostTriggerhappySOB, on 29 May 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

Mech quirks!

#418 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostTriggerhappySOB, on 29 May 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

The original version of the Urbanmech had two weapons: An AC/10 (which was blown off in that comic), and a Small Laser, which is nearly useless, but ends up being the killing shot all the time for some weird reason. If, when rolling the dice to see where your shots land on your enemy, you roll boxcars (12), you hit the center torso...and get three critical rolls. Comic = illustrating how insane it is to see a Small Laser blow through fresh CT armor, and hit three crits (usually engine). Three engine hits destroys any machine, until you start getting into the fancy optional rules (armored crits, for example).

#419 Backblast

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

Would be disappointing having no Urbanmech in the game.

#420 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

Let's put it this way.

Even if players hated Urbanmech because how silly it look... it would make other mesh look better.
Otherwise, the "better" look factor would be bland as it's hard to pick out which you like better.

Can you imagine getting killed by Urbanmech in a rare moment? That would also add irony factor into the play.

PS: on a perosnal note, I've been calling it Eggbot when I was a kid.

Edited by Nacon, 31 May 2012 - 05:38 AM.

55 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 55 guests, 0 anonymous users