Petition for Urbanmech

796 replies to this topic

#521 BlackAbbot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationSecret UrbanMech Production Facility

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostArtaire, on 08 July 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

God help you if you get killed by urbie.

When. When.

#522 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

you guys are all *lovable*...why would anyone drive an urbie when every other mech in the universe can outrun and outgun it admit it urbie is absolutely useless

Edited by Hayashi, 08 July 2012 - 07:09 AM.
>.>

#523 Feindfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNew Hessen

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

I would drive an UrbanMech. I like the ability to mount an AC/10 or AC/20 on a light with a low profile and a 360° view cockpit. Add to that the heavy armor (for its weight, iirc the only 30ton mech with fully armored head), 180+° turnable pintle mounted weaponry and jumpjets.It could be quiet effective at countering enemy light rushes and flanking enemy units.
Of course to realy shine it would need the mentioned advantages, that are not realy reflected in the BT rules, but only based on looking at the artwork and the described characteristics of the whole system.

I also love it cause it's such a pratical design for BT, without gazzilion of different guns and weapons but insteade one main weapon and a secondary for backup, pretty much the 'tankiest' mech (and in comparison with many BattleT´tech tank, one of the tankiest vehicles in all categories).

#524 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:02 AM

so basicly you like it because youre a *fluffy bunny who has tea with kittens*

Edited by Hayashi, 08 July 2012 - 07:08 AM.
Ad hominem is not acceptable, and this isn't the first time. Next time won't just be an edit.

#525 Feindfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNew Hessen

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

No, i always liked it, especially in defensive scenarios as it is realy, realy cheap and has a lot of firepower and armor for its weight and if you got enough cover the speed is not that much of a disadvantage thanks to the jumpjets. Especially in urban scenarios where faster mechs without jumpjets would risk skidding on the asphalt.

#526 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

except its not cheap for the bv you can field 2 stingers wasps or locusts and have double the firepower of that little popgun

#527 Feindfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNew Hessen

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Depends on the model, i always felt the standard urbanmech to be rather bad, because of the AC/10 having a useless (in urban terrain) range advantage that is not needed. The UM-R60L fixes this by equipping an AC/20, making it the first 'real' urbanmech of the different legal/canon variants and gets you a heat-neutral alpha of 23 (LL:3, AC20:20) damage that is hard to match with anything in that pricerange and gives you the ability to take out any other light in a single round.
Also though the Stinger, Locust and Wasp are all cheaper, they are by no means cheap enough to field two for each urbanmech and also will have a considereably lower damage output. The locust also misses jumpjets which i think are vital for urban operations, since the groundspeed will not be usable unless you risk skidding.

I'm by no way suggesting the urbanmech beeing some kind of uber-design. But i think its a viable design and i had a lot of fun with it over the years... and like with all the small and big mechs that i enjoyed i'd like to be able to pilot it in MW:O some day.

#528 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

its a horseshit design and yes you can field 2 of them to 1 of your precious urbanmech-l variants and the stinger/wasp moves better than 2/3/2 (32 kph) that the piece of **** trashcan moves at and armor doesnt mean **** on something as small as the urbie because it cant move fast enough to avoid getting hit so that 92 armor (including internals) wont do crap its center torso is the most heavily armored spot at 11 points of armor) a single srm 6 rack to the ct would go straight to internals and caused engine damage to an already gimped mech, do you still wish to argue that the urbanmech is better than more useful designs? oh i forgot to mention the l variant only has like 8 or 9 points of armor max on the torsos so i rest my case urbanmech=garbage

#529 MrMasakari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 387 posts
  • LocationThe Kerensky Cluster

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 08 July 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

its a horseshit design and yes you can field 2 of them to 1 of your precious urbanmech-l variants and the stinger/wasp moves better than 2/3/2 (32 kph) that the piece of **** trashcan moves at and armor doesnt mean **** on something as small as the urbie because it cant move fast enough to avoid getting hit so that 92 armor (including internals) wont do crap its center torso is the most heavily armored spot at 11 points of armor) a single srm 6 rack to the ct would go straight to internals and caused engine damage to an already gimped mech, do you still wish to argue that the urbanmech is better than more useful designs? oh i forgot to mention the l variant only has like 8 or 9 points of armor max on the torsos so i rest my case urbanmech=garbage

That sir is why it is shaped like a garbagecan. Being killed by one will just be horrendously humiliating and amazingly epic at the same time. Its the underdog. People love the underdogs, always have and always will do. Get kills/win with the underdog and your a hero. Die/lose with it and noone cares.

If you don't like it, don't pilot it when it comes. The thread shows most people are in favour of the urbie regardless. So don't bash people just because they have a different opinion than you. Its what makes the world go around.

#530 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 08 July 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

You obviously don't understand what the Urbanmech's purpose in combat IS. It's a turret for urban combat scenarios. Your wasps and stingers' speed is completely useless if they're going to be falling everywhere on Ferro-crete (if you haven't experienced this, you haven't played the tabletop).

The Urbmanmech is designed to be a cheap downgrade of the hunchback. It sits behind a building and just waits for a mech to unknowingly walk into it. Check rules regarding hidden units; what happens is not pretty. I'm talking "rolling-a-4-to-hit-your-116-km/h-flying-stinger-with-an-AC/20" kind of not pretty.
Mech-on-mech open field combat, yes, the Urbie is pretty much useless apart from being bait, but it still has its place just like every other mech.

#531 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostCaptain Fabulous, on 08 July 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

You obviously don't understand what the Urbanmech's purpose in combat IS. It's a turret for urban combat scenarios. Your wasps and stingers' speed is completely useless if they're going to be falling everywhere on Ferro-crete (if you haven't experienced this, you haven't played the tabletop).

The Urbmanmech is designed to be a cheap downgrade of the hunchback. It sits behind a building and just waits for a mech to unknowingly walk into it. Check rules regarding hidden units; what happens is not pretty. I'm talking "rolling-a-4-to-hit-your-116-km/h-flying-stinger-with-an-AC/20" kind of not pretty.
Mech-on-mech open field combat, yes, the Urbie is pretty much useless apart from being bait, but it still has its place just like every other mech.

perhaps.. but you only slip and slide if youre retarded enough to run and turn on pavement there are no piloting skill rolls if you run max speed in a straight line or only move at crusing speeds when rounding corners and that situation with the urbie only applies if its not spotted and even if you did get the drop on a fast mover, it wouldnt be a 4 to hit a stinger moving 9 hexes full tilt or one with masc running 11 hexes thats another plus 3 or 4 to hit so bare minimum 7 to hit

#532 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 08 July 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

perhaps.. but you only slip and slide if youre retarded enough to run and turn on pavement there are no piloting skill rolls if you run max speed in a straight line or only move at crusing speeds when rounding corners and that situation with the urbie only applies if its not spotted and even if you did get the drop on a fast mover, it wouldnt be a 4 to hit a stinger moving 9 hexes full tilt or one with masc running 11 hexes thats another plus 3 or 4 to hit so bare minimum 7 to hit

No, if you run into a hidden unit, it's JUST their gunnery roll because they get to reveal and shoot if you pass them... DURING the movement phase. I know this because I was running my Jenner up a field (11 hexes, that's +4 mod) doing some scout work for a league and I ran into an archer that had been modified to carry SRMs that had been standing in trees next to me. 72 points of damage at a 3 to hit.

I don't remember what rule book it's in, but it's there.

If you're wondering how a Jenner can manage to soak 72 points of damage... JR7-F, baby. <3

#533 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 08 July 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

perhaps.. but you only slip and slide if youre retarded enough to run and turn on pavement

Unrelated note, that's me when it comes to fire support in a Trebuchet. I'm really bad about not falling over.

#534 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 08 July 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

still i firmly believe pgi will never release this piece of crap unit no matter how many of you WoT playing fucktards want it, because the other several million players want REAL mechs

I've never played WoT, so I don't know where that comes into play. And there are plenty of mechs that I want to see too; i.e. Grasshopper, Phoenix Hawk, Banshee, Highlander, Cyclops, Whitworth, Vindicator, Panther, Zeus, Hussar, Blackjack, Hermes, Dervish, Enforcer, Kintaro, Wyvern...

^all of those are 3025 era.

The list goes on and on and on. However, I also know that the devs are going to opt for the iconic mechs that people are more familiar with, and with the exclusion of clans and mechs that are post-3049, the selection of mechs that people are going to recognize and want to pilot gets slimmer and slimmer. Even if the Urbanmech is quirky and somewhat useless for the majority of battles, it has a huge fan base behind it and that alone is something that could push the devs to include it.

#535 Feindfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNew Hessen

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

On a sidenote; yes, i am playing *a certain videogame with kittens, bunnies and teaparties*. Though i still don't understand what this has to do with the discussion, as i don't bring up anything *kitten tea party* related to support my argument in the thread, nor did i see anyone else do that. The only person who brings up *kitten tea party awesomness* on a regular basis, and only to *totaly not insult* other forum users, is you Lightdragon. On a sidenote, i also play dwarf fortress, why not call me out on that cause that's probably why i like *fluffy and fun* small things. :D

And no, you can't field two of those 20ton mechs for one urbie. The BV for a Wasp, locust or Stinger is threehundertsomthing, for the urbie its in the 400 era. That changes with revised BV calculation (in both cases rising) and depending on variant, but the margin stays about the same... you don't field two of any of those in any combination for a single urbie and if you do, no variant of any of those that i know of is carrying the SRM-6 you mention that could punch through the center torso with one hit.
And they all still serve a completly different purpose than the urbie... they are all great scouts and skirmishers, but they suck at defensive combat and ambushs, something where the urbanmech is a good investment for its low price.

I can understand that some people fear that the one iconic mech that they want to be in the game could be neglected or forgotten because of the 'big trollin mase of urbie *happy persons* forcing the 'stupid and useless meme-mech' into the game. But there are also the people who just realy like that small little combat vehicle, enjoy its looks and its defensive playstyle, without meaning any harm to the 'real battletech fans™' so there is no need to get all agressive over that.

/final edit to be more in line with the mod edited posts i refer to. :D

Edited by Feindfeuer, 08 July 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#536 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

signed.

#537 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostFeindfeuer, on 08 July 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

On a sidenote; yes, i am playing *a certain videogame with kittens, bunnies and teaparties*. Though i still don't understand what this has to do with the discussion, as i don't bring up anything *kitten tea party* related to support my argument in the thread, nor did i see anyone else do that. The only person who brings up *kitten tea party awesomness* on a regular basis, and only to *totaly not insult* other forum users, is you Lightdragon. On a sidenote, i also play dwarf fortress, why not call me out on that cause that's probably why i like *fluffy and fun* small things. :)

And no, you can't field two of those 20ton mechs for one urbie. The BV for a Wasp, locust or Stinger is threehundertsomthing, for the urbie its in the 400 era. That changes with revised BV calculation (in both cases rising) and depending on variant, but the margin stays about the same... you don't field two of any of those in any combination for a single urbie and if you do, no variant of any of those that i know of is carrying the SRM-6 you mention that could punch through the center torso with one hit.
And they all still serve a completly different purpose than the urbie... they are all great scouts and skirmishers, but they suck at defensive combat and ambushs, something where the urbanmech is a good investment for its low price.

I can understand that some people fear that the one iconic mech that they want to be in the game could be neglected or forgotten because of the 'big trollin mase of urbie *happy persons* forcing the 'stupid and useless meme-mech' into the game. But there are also the people who just realy like that small little combat vehicle, enjoy its looks and its defensive playstyle, without meaning any harm to the 'real battletech fans™' so there is no need to get all agressive over that.

/final edit to be more in line with the mod edited posts i refer to. :)

fine some will find it fun most want it for hte stupid memes and i just dont want the thing in the game because it reduces the chances of a mech that far more others enjoy

#538 JunoVC

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

It can be our LoLtracktor!

#539 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

...i hate world of tanks pubbies...

#540 JunoVC

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 08 July 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

...i hate world of tanks pubbies...
That's okay, I hate Hipster Baristas, My double lattefrappycrapeh ready yet?

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users