Player Progression? Can you START as assault?

61 replies to this topic

#21 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

View Postcobrafive, on 09 November 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

The assault, at least, can soak up hits that the rest of us would've had to take :)

^truth.

#22 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

Yes. :) to the thread question.

#23 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 09 November 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

Well I wasn't actually expecting an answer :D Awesome.

If we can start in an assault, then certainly, this gives me hope that every weight class really is diverse and useful.

#24 Semyon Drakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

I think what would be good would be having people deploying as part of a House Unit getting issued a mech in thier chosen weight class. It would be the Generic house models and would be randomised at time of issue. If you don't like it you get 1 chance to try again, with the risk of getting something even worse.

I'd restrict the heaviest tonnages in the Assault class, as we've seen in canon those tend to be reserved for senior officers or nobility. Even Victor Davion only got a Victor, when I am sure Hanse would have had an Atlas lying around. Make players earn the right to own those rare and expensive mechs.

IF we get to play clans I would suggest players fighting trials of position. Depending on thier rank after the trial, that will unlock bands within the weight classes (Light 20 -30t, med 40 - 50t, Heavy 60 - 70 t, Assault 80 - 90t). Is someone pulls a Natsha Kerensky and wins 4, they can be a Star Colonel and pilot whatever the heck they like but I am thinking that trials can be made so tough that only the truly gifted pilots will earn that.

Merc units could have a stock of mechs in the bay, allowing new pilots to be issued a machine, how they do it is up to them but I know I am not putting some noob kid into an Atlas and saying 'have fun with that!' Only to see the fusion reactor go off in the distance because he took on a medium lance in close country.

#25 Halfinax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

View PostTheForce, on 09 November 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

I think Bryan was quoted saying you can start in a bigger mech if you pay for it up front, or you can start in a smaller mech and work your way up for free. It was in this thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...e-free-to-play/

I think he was referring to Technology on a 'Mech not a bigger 'Mech per se. I am gathering from that thread that 'Mechs of all weight classes will be available to all players at the start, but you have to use in game currency to purchase the one you specifically want. I'm kind of reading it as a League of Legends style choice where Champions are replaced with 'Mechs. A rotating stable of free to play 'Mechs, and the option to either save up C-bills (assumed in game currency) or just out right buy it with real world money.

#26 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:34 PM

Considering I am, and always will be, an Atlas pilot I am clearly going to favour the option of starting with one. I have no problems at all about it costing more to run etc. They should cost more. But why should you restrict access when they specifically don't want an arms race? That runs completely contrary to their stated objectives, as pointed out earlier.

There seems to be these underlying concept that bigger is better and that isn't the case. There are - and I can tell you from years of experience - significant inherent problems with AM's that can be exploited easily by anyone with half a clue. Most of the time I spend piloting one is trying to stop them being exploited in fact, which isn't easy (and often situationally impossible), rather than shooting enemies.

People fear the inevitable field full of AM's. So they should... that's their function, but they leave themselves open for all sorts of battle tactics from more mixed enemy groups. There are numerous ways to stop this from happening in the match making system too, many of which are under intense discussion on these forums, so I am naturally concerned that my choice of mech isn't open to me at the beginning. And looking at the recent poll on mech weight types AM's aren't the favoured mech ranges - Heavy and Mediums were last time I looked. That should tell you something about the prospect of actually fronting up against a purely AM group.

If I have to pay for my Death's Head ... ok... but I feel for those who might not have the cash should not be disadvantaged in their initial choice. The reality is that the game is shaped to be more about the pilot and their roles, not their mech. It's not focused so much on the metal but the meat...

Edited by Dozer, 09 November 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#27 Rogal Dorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationTennessee USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

I think a lot of it will have to do with how they implement the mechwarrior skills and starting money. Maybe you can start out with enough money to buy an assault, but if there is a perk/skill system that modifies how your pilot operates then some of that money could be used to upgrade your pilot instead. Do you buy the biggest thing out there or go with a middle-class mech but get some perks to operate it with?

#28 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

lol I wrote my first respone before seeing this response.

I am, now, your best friend and loyal subject.

/bow :D

Edited by Dozer, 09 November 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#29 Sartris

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

You want to start in an assault? Here's your Banshee 3E (PPC, AC/5, s.laser). Enjoy!

#30 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

View PostSartris, on 09 November 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

You want to start in an assault? Here's your Banshee 3E (PPC, AC/5, s.laser). Enjoy!

Here's my creds... Atlas please :)

#31 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

How about an idea:

For example if there will be mode Conquest like there is in BF3, certain mech can do certain things, like only LIGHT mech can 'SPOT' enemies (provide intelligence), MEDIUM and HEAVY would work together to capture SMALL flags, when ASSAULTS are gonna be needed to crash fortresses (like fortress on Hesperus II which defending the mech plant) which will be a so called BIG flags.

Just a small thought. We don't even know if the game will be completely like mmo or it will be simple multiplayer like in battlefield for example.

#32 Draco Argentum

• 1,222 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Sweet, I called this a couple days back.

In non gloating news:

Assaults are slow. For a new mechwarrior thats a huge problem. Once you commit in somthing slow you're pretty much stuck with your position. When you make an inevitable newb mistake its probably going to be too late to fix it when you realise whats happened. In a faster mech you can at least run away/dash back to defend the base.

As a scout if you can live long enough for your team to send some LRM volleys into the enemy you've at least achieved something.

Captain Fabulous "I opt for being able to store up to 3 or 4 mechs in a given garage, and if you lose a mech you lose it. This way, people will be more influenced towards operating the less expensive mechs so they can be replaced easier."

This won't happen. It sounds cool to hardcore players on this forum. What you need to remember is that this is a forum for a game that isn't even in open beta yet, everyone here is really hardcore. The casual players won't go for a system like this and F2P is all about having a large playerbase. Its also very frustrating in a multiplayer game, even hardcore mech pilots will be annoyed when they rest of the team fails and they lose their mech. Or worse, someone on their team accidentally puts an AC20 round into their back.

#33 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

To be completely honest, I'd say full and total randomization unless you pay for something, but even still, I would prefer that players either pick a weight class or a role (Recon, Striker, Juggernaut, Brawler... blah blah blah) and have it randomized based on the selected choice.

That, or better yet, different randomization tables based on the faction chosen, as an added layer.

So by taking lyrans as, say, a light 'mech, you would be most likely plopped in a Commando. Likewise, the Lyrans tend to be heavier than ususal, so if weight class is also random, you might find yourself in a Thunderbolt or Banshee. On the flip side, the speedy dracs will be getting players all sorts of Jenners and Dragons with a preference for Lights and Heavies. Fedsuns, we would see favorites like the Enforcer, Dervish, and Jagermech cropping up a fair bit, and the Cappies should have a wealth of Clints, Catapults, and Vindicators. Lastly, Free worlds league would have a very medium-centric army with lots of Cicadas, Hunchbacks, Trebuchets, and especially the Hermes II.

#34 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:54 AM

Why randomised? If the mechs in a given role are considered equal in value why restrict player starter choice and run the risk of stopping people playing full stop?

I for example don't want to play anything other than an Atlas. Could I play other roles and other chassis, yes. Would it reduce my overall (and I might add initial) feelings about the game; most certainly. Remember the idea is to 'capture' people's interest early on, first impressions count. I like the feel of an Atlas, the tactics with a generic loadout, the look. I hate the Zeus. Put me in one by random and I'm gonna have to re-evaluate how I play as my playstyle is suited to the perculiarities of the Atlas. I like to think I am not a small minority, but if I am that's ok I would still like to be considered on what is essentially no problem for others. You can go pick a model at random to satisfy your need to have that, and I can pick mine and stick with it. We both win, rather than just me lose out? Which is the better proposition...?

Note I don't mind having the choice of Mechs dependant on House etc. That's fine.

Edited by Dozer, 10 November 2011 - 02:54 AM.

#35 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

All assumptions or musing on my part but, ...here goes.
What ever we do, what ever Mech we drive we start as noobs.
No experience. All will be gained over playing the game.
... ... ... ... ... ... ...
Attention, streak of humor ahead!

You either start with that tatty light/medium, Piranha is sending you to field - thats OK,
noobs don't deserve top material, cos they die anyway.
A waist of good material is neither necessary nor tolerated!

Or,
you get that shiny, shining Atlas, you gonna pay for - real cash - out of the wallet you stole your Mom.
Thats OK too, cos, we want more toys from Bryan,
so better not letting the man perish, slaving away in some Sibirian Uranium mine,
a huge iron ball chained to his ankle!

Anyway, your gonna start a noob, Moms wallet yes or not.

Assume, you manage to survive your noob cunning, earned some C-Bills and some renown:
"huh?, he really got away with it?!"
Buy more stuff; either real cash(Mom) or your own, honest accomplishments should help too.

Weapons, more Mechs, a new Chassis, fancy electronic counter counter measure(s),
a kinky pinky paintjob :) for above mentioned Atlas, cool I'd say... all are further down the road.

As you perform, your Avatar is gaining more skills and to handle his Mechs better.
Your lasers gonna hit where you point them, in manual mode - which is a pain in the @ss - if you don't kneel.
Jump snipping?, Well, good luck lad!

Your targeting comp, an amazingly heavy, little black box, only gets better while you actually use the darn thing.
You can't find any better on the black market, nor did you have a chance to buy a better one for real cash.
It'll be all you, your play, time actually spend sweating, as an armchair hero.

There gonna be so many things to discover, they all reveal themselves all and only over time.

S!

PS.
One more thing ...it'll be a blast to play that way.

Edited by Odin, 10 November 2011 - 05:11 AM.

#36 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:36 AM

Perfect! No more full Atlas matches. Can I ask, how are you planning to make drops? Fully random, one of each class of mechs, one of each tonnage, 5 lights, 3 mediums, 2 heavies and one assault, or something different? Thank you for answer, even if there wont be any. :D

#37 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

You really can start in an Assault, eh?

STEINER SCOUT LANCES, HERE WE GO

#38 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

View PostXhaleon, on 10 November 2011 - 05:46 AM, said:

You really can start in an Assault, eh?

STEINER SCOUT LANCES, HERE WE GO

Take a deep breath. I am sure it will be a rare occurance with the matchmaking and playstyle of the community at large.

Mind you if you see one be sure to run for cover. A **** storm is likely incoming :)

#39 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:03 AM

Well You can't have a Davion Assault Guard that is all light and Medium Mechs! Steiner's are poked fun of because they think a Zeus Is a scout Mech. Let us buy heavier Chassis so we can be true to our Faction and Unit affiliation. That's what I think, YMMV

Just saw this...

OK then... Thank you Sir!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 10 November 2011 - 06:06 AM.

#40 Creel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

View PostParan01ac, on 09 November 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

How about an idea:

For example if there will be mode Conquest like there is in BF3, certain mech can do certain things, like only LIGHT mech can 'SPOT' enemies (provide intelligence), MEDIUM and HEAVY would work together to capture SMALL flags, when ASSAULTS are gonna be needed to crash fortresses (like fortress on Hesperus II which defending the mech plant) which will be a so called BIG flags.

Just a small thought. We don't even know if the game will be completely like mmo or it will be simple multiplayer like in battlefield for example.

yes we do. It has been stated that it's matchmaking style instanced play with a persistent world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users