66 replies to this topic

#21 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

I thought they put it in as an offset against the increased arm movement in the Pilot Unlocks.. which made piloting arm hardpoint heavy mechs (like the dragon) with lasers stupidly difficult.

#22 The Duke of Dirty

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

;tldr -> press shift before you fire if you have torso guns.

#23 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

I leave it on all the time with my spider. 3 med lasers, all focusing the same spot with every shot. being able to do that adds up super fast on an assault mechs side torso as I spin and jump around them at 150kph.

#24 phaloxian

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

You've made a lot of good points...but with your attitude in other threads people are going to start thinking you are biased to a certain build and just outright ignore other aspects of the game because you either don't like them or are unable to make them work. Some people already do, myself included. BUT, yes, use the L-Shift 'cus seriously, duh...

#25 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPerth

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Its not abusing at all... That's what the armlock was designed for. I play all my mechs with Armlock on by default and press shift when i want to use the arms. Personal preference and what ever you feel comfortable with. Calling it Abuse tho.... Get off the grass!

#26 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

View Postcdrolly, on 08 August 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

Its not abusing at all... That's what the armlock was designed for. I play all my mechs with Armlock on by default and press shift when i want to use the arms. Personal preference and what ever you feel comfortable with. Calling it Abuse tho.... Get off the grass!

It was meant as a training wheels feature for pilots who couldn't adapt to the two-reticule play style. The fact it's a supreme sniper tool was never the stated purpose.

View Postphaloxian, on 07 August 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

You've made a lot of good points...but with your attitude in other threads people are going to start thinking you are biased to a certain build and just outright ignore other aspects of the game because you either don't like them or are unable to make them work. Some people already do, myself included. BUT, yes, use the L-Shift 'cus seriously, duh...

I am biased against bad equipment and builds. Objectively bad ones.

#27 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 09 August 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

It was meant as a training wheels feature for pilots who couldn't adapt to the two-reticule play style. The fact it's a supreme sniper tool was never the stated purpose.

Mate it was always apart of the game if you pressed shift your arms would lock... they just added a feature to keep it locked... These mechs are in the future and we have Naval ships today that can lock all weapons on one target and you think the mechs shouldn't be able too? pull ya head in and quite the whinging.

All your points have been incorrect armlock does not instantly spring your targets together and locking your arms with your torso is not there just for new players. Let it go son let it go...

Edited by cdrolly, 14 August 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#28 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

View Postcdrolly, on 14 August 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Mate it was always apart of the game if you pressed shift your arms would lock...

WRONG! This was around the time closed beta ended.

You must be new here.

they just added a feature to keep it locked... These mechs are in the future and we have Naval ships today that can lock all weapons on one target and you think the mechs shouldn't be able too? pull ya head in and quite the whinging.

Because nothing about BattleTech makes one lick of sense compared to modern technology. 'mechs are objectively worse than modern tanks and everything about the future of warfare screams "lots of small drones." I wish people would stop trying to use real physics to justify 1980s sci-fi physics.

All your points have been incorrect armlock does not instantly spring your targets together

Yes, it does. This is objectively and easily provable. I don't even know how you can say this.

and locking your arms with your torso is not there just for new players. Let it go son let it go...

That was it's stated reason to be added. I doubt they wanted to make their arm system unimportant, and they specifically said it was being added to help new players and that "veteran could turn it off." It was not meant to make arm-guns a non-issue.

#29 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

Yes well i agree to disagree... this game is supposed to based in the year 3050 and currently in the year 2013 we have many weapons platforms that can lock all weapons on a single or multiple targets simultaneously. But your right this shouldn't be the case in a sci fi game based in the year 3050 because its too much of an advantage.... LOL

Closed beta was is exactly that, closed... the game is evolving get used to it cos more changes are going to happen trust me...
2751 wins to 1993 losses hardly new here mate :P

See you on the battlefield ^^

Edited by cdrolly, 14 August 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#30 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

View Postcdrolly, on 14 August 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

Yes well i agree to disagree... this game is supposed to based in the year 3050 and currently in the year 2013 we have many weapons platforms that can lock all weapons on a single or multiple targets simultaneously. But your right this shouldn't be the case in a sci fi game based in the year 3050 because its too much of an advantage.... LOL

In real life we have weapons that fire from so many miles away that you never, ever would see your target.

In real life a company of 'mechs would be shredded by an a modern day AC-130 and it would never show up on their radar.

In real life everyone would just blast knees, which are infinitely easier to kill than a tank track.

In real life we have weapons like MOABs that would, instantly, obliterate entire companies of 'mechs.

In real life, the concept of a 'mech is ludicrously impractical and the obvious future of warfare is drones, lots of drones. Small computerized swarms that think faster than a person ever could.

You have to accept BattleTech is in it's own 1980s version of the future with almost World War II era "future" weaponry.

And thus getting bent out of shape about things like this is without merit. Any time someone breaks out "real life" tech, there is no way for it to end well.

EDIT: For further "This has nothing to do with real life technology" I present to you ER PPC vs. M16

Describe the ranges for the M16/A2 Rifle.
  • Maximum Range - 3,600 meters
  • Max Effective Range for a Point Target - 550 meters
  • Max Effective Range for an Area Target - 800 meters
Compared to the ER PPC
  • Maximum Range - 1,620m
  • Max Effective Range for an Area Target - 810 meters
So our "future tech" has a highly advance los tech extended range cannon that is outranged horribly by the M/16, with a whopping 10m advantage on it's effective range?

How can people still bring up real life technology when discussing this and be serious?

Edited by Victor Morson, 14 August 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#31 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

Yeah we are talking about pointing your weapons mate not different technologies LOL

#32 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

View Postcdrolly, on 14 August 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

Yeah we are talking about pointing your weapons mate not different technologies LOL

The game benefits from having arms and torsos not aligned instantly, which makes it more balanced for everyone and adds some more depth.

Just like it benefits from having "long range" weapons that are outdone by nearly 40 year old battle rifles.

#33 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

They don't align instantly. Your trippin balls.

#34 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

View Postcdrolly, on 14 August 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

They don't align instantly. Your trippin balls.

Go. Try. It.

Literally nobody is arguing this is how they work.

#35 Tiger 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

- Without arm lock I would often miss or at least spread damage over you when I fired a mixture of arm and torso weapons.
- With arm lock on I now either miss you completely or deliver all my damage to one spot on your leg or torso...

As Vic says, it was presented to us as a "help the newbies" feature, but the unintended side effect is that it enables trigger happy noobs like me to deliver massive alpha strikes on target - I no longer have to worry about the second cross hair catching up or staying aligned, I can just mash all the mouse buttons at once :P - Quite how anybody could think this would be good for the game is beyond me :P

#36 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:57 AM

View PostFire and Salt, on 26 July 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

Give me 1 logical reason where my super high tech walking robot cannot be made to point its arms in the same direction as its torso.

Because your "super high tech" walking robot is hundreds of years old and has been maintained and repaired by underpaid semi-competent spanner monkeys in the field using second-hand sub-standard parts salvaged from battle damaged enemies?

Oh - hang on - this is after the sudden rediscovery of lost technology and instant rebuilding of industrial capability that had otherwise vanished from the Inner Sphere...

*sigh* ... no... no logical* reason at all.

* Logic here refers to that specific flavour of setting logic where very tall bipedal war machines are not inferior/vulnerable to long-range guided missile strikes etc. etc.

#37 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yeah I still think that having the ability to lock your arms is a non issue. Personally as stated earlier i have my arms locked by default and use shift when I want to use my arms so I don't get the "Instant locking". Your right the game was designed in 80's and has a lot of flaws. But I also think that these flaws could and should be corrected because the game is not TT its a FPS. You cant keep using TT physics as an argument in a FPS version designed in 2012/13. Any flaws should be corrected and new ideas thrown in to the mix. If its not to your liking then there is always MW Tactics for those TT Fanbois. If indeed they instant lock then don't get me wrong I think this should be corrected also. But removing the arm lock ability seems backwards... and seriously hypothetically speaking you don't think that in a fantasy world in the year 3050 they wouldn't have the ability to lock the arms with the torso? come on drop ships, colonizing inhospitable worlds but no arm lock...get real dude.
I'm also sick of people comparing this game to real physics and technology but little simple things like armlock is hardly something that would have come up in TT. Your comparing apples with oranges using those types of analogies. Every Vehicular FPS has this ability... I say harden up..... bro

#38 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostFire and Salt, on 26 July 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

I disagree with the word 'abusing'

Give me 1 logical reason where my super high tech walking robot cannot be made to point its arms in the same direction as its torso.

1 reason not to when stationary? None.

1 reason not to when moving in any way? Here we go, watch these arms.

1 reason why it should not be instant? Arms need time to align with the torso especially when they are previously pointed far away from where they were.

#39 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

+1'ed because that video is hilarious.

#40 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Arm lock is a must-use for poptarting with projectile-like weapons.

But hey, if you like your damage scattered, go ahead... I'll prefer to core you with arm-locked poptarting.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users