63 replies to this topic

#21 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:09 AM

View PostDraxist, on 31 July 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

the BJ-1DC is a favorite of mine, the advantage over the other BJ's is actually its ability to be effective fire-support without Jump-jets.

this is my build I use regularly, and have never changed since finding it:

BJ-1DC

both ranged and close up punch, and decently heat efficient despite what smurfy says.

in essence, you could do this with a BJ-1, but the whole point of that chassi IS the jump-jets, so this chassi plays into a different mindset: fire-support. This mech best plays backing up a heavier chassi like a brawling assault or heavy mech.

That's the problem with the 1-DC. The BJ-1 is a better platform for that build, because it has the option to drop the small lasers for JJ. You could have bought an extra BJ-1 and saved the trouble of grinding that other mech.

#22 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

The -3 and the -1 jump, the -1X can get to 116kph with speed tweak, the DC seems to be the cheapest and the most versatile for loadouts. Only the -DC and the -1 get ballistics and it has the same number of energy slots as the -3. It's about 14,000 cbills cheaper than the -1X, 225,000 than the -1, and 870,000 than the -3.

Whether that's worth it?? Up to you!

I'd say whatever loadout you like on the -1 or -3, put it on the DC and use the lost jump jet tonnage for armor, ammo, or heatsinks.

#23 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

The DC is great. I have no use for jump jets while running ballistic loadouts. Yes, the Blackjack is slow but it is also a small target. I really enjoy running 2x Ac-2 + mlas or 2xAc-5 + slas. The DC is also one weight class were an AC-10 can be logical choice if not running an XL. I generally use a STD in my DC and use XL in the 1X and BJ-3. The DC is under rated. More people should try it.

#24 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 August 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

The DC is great. I have no use for jump jets while running ballistic loadouts. Yes, the Blackjack is slow but it is also a small target. I really enjoy running 2x Ac-2 + mlas or 2xAc-5 + slas. The DC is also one weight class were an AC-10 can be logical choice if not running an XL. I generally use a STD in my DC and use XL in the 1X and BJ-3. The DC is under rated. More people should try it.

You can run both of those on the BJ-1. Just because the BJ-1has jump jets doesn't mean you need to put them on. Unless you want to take your slow, jet-less, low-armor 45-tonner and walk into range for your 5-6 small lases. And even then, you'd probably be better off with MLAS since they compliment autocannon range much better.)

Which brings us back to the original point: why the DC? And while I acknowledge there are a number of preferences out there for 'Mech construction, the idea of not mixing ballistics with jump jets seems kind of wonky and sub-optimal. Not saying you shouldn't run like you want to run, but you get an awful lot of use per .5 ton with those, so I don't think your point carries a lot of prescriptive weight.

Also I don't really understand running standard engines on Blackjacks. I've died to side torso loss literally once out of 156 drops.

Edited by Lyoncet, 01 August 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#25 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

^ the hardpoint placement is better and you can zombie. I really don't need extra speed when using long range ballistics. Also you can shift armor from the arm when building asymmetrical builds. I love all my Blackjacks(BJ-1DC, BJ-3, BJ-1X).

Edited by Spheroid, 01 August 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#26 Draxist

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 69 posts
  • Locationnear a lot of people

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 01 August 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

That's the problem with the 1-DC. The BJ-1 is a better platform for that build, because it has the option to drop the small lasers for JJ. You could have bought an extra BJ-1 and saved the trouble of grinding that other mech.

I would agree, the small lasers are hardly used ever, and the jump-jets allow for me to get around better. I think though not having the jump jets forces me to really think about my placement, and not just hop right into the middle of a fray thinking I can hop back out if it gets too hot, because more likely than not, I will die before I get the chance to run in such situations.

#27 spectrefang

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

If i were to buy the D, i'd probably go this route.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...070bb244853496b

Good long/medium punch and the MG to crit clean-up the wrecked armor.

But I think i'l stick with my 1x

#28 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

If you weren't too bothered about AMS, this would probably be more effective...

BJ-1DC

#29 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

i went the Boomjack route myself. works well enough for me, couple SLs and a ML for backup since i usually end up in close range anyway. on the slow side though.

i just hide behind the assaults til they start brawling then chip in my ac20 from there. always nice when the enemy assault looks away from a teammate's assault to find that jager shooting them. then the realize it's just a BJ (even better if they sweep past me looking for the jager) and by then they don't have much rear armor left if my "teammate" doesn't decide to take advantage of my distraction to run....

do run into trouble when the lights show up though- don't have the best aim around.

#30 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

With all the terrain movement penalties now the jumpjets are pretty critical for mobility if you don't have the speed of the 1X.

The Bj-3 and Bj-1 are better than the 1DC. Even if you put 2xAC2 or 2xAC5, you don't have much room left for ammo and lasers even when you're running an xl.

#31 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...800c1cc01ef9f7a

I like this build, personally. But, yes, the DC is the "crap" variant. Dunno why PGI makes us level at least one crap variant for each mech we own.

#32 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostDegeneratePervert, on 06 August 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

But, yes, the DC is the "crap" variant. Dunno why PGI makes us level at least one crap variant for each mech we own.

Well at least the Blackjack has three good variants you can buy with c-bills. Other chassis aren't so lucky... :P

#33 Max Von Lakes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 164 posts
  • LocationThe Lakes, England

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Until AC/2's got CRAZY hot, this wasnt that bad of a machine - as long as you played it as a long to med range support mech. It was good working behind an Atlas, the Atlas draws the fire, and the Blackjacks AC's rock the enemy mech so he struggles to aim

or, it was...with the AC/2 heat now...you struggle to get 15 rounds out before riding the heat curve...

IMO, the AC/2 heat spike/nerf/tweak killed this chassis :-(

Edited by max11180, 06 August 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#34 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Put LBX-10 and MG in the ballistic slots and the awesomeness is complete.

#35 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

weird, the BJ-1DC is my favorite

Edited by El Death Smurf, 06 August 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#36 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

I've only noticed me getting the AC2 heat bug when Im holding down the buttons for four AC2's (don't use any more then four), and when I'm firing only two AC2's, I'm losing heat.

#37 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

BJ-1DC: Wheeeeee

#38 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 31 July 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

DC... Not DDC... my bad, can't edit the title (Yeah, shame it doesn't mount ECM)

So a chassis that mounts the smaller engine and no jets in favor of two extra energy slots seemed a 'meh' compromise to me. I wanted to ask someone experienced in this variant before I passed judgement. To all you Jack pilots out there, is the DC good for anything?

You can change the title by clicking use full editor after editing your post. Personally I run three builds:
  • 6 small lasers + 2 MGs,
  • UAC/5+AC/2 + small lasers,
  • 2 PPCs + 2 MGs + 4 small lasers.
What irks me is the way the Engine versus Chassis double heatsink system works. Basically if you have a 225 engine, you're inferior in both speed and endurance against a 250 engine user (say you in your 225 engine have 10 DHS against 250 engine with 10 DHS), you still can't match up with their capacity or cooling.

In other words they can alpha more and cool faster than you. It's Bull.
How it works:
Spoiler

The lower you sink, the harder it is to keep up. If you use 11 DHS you can compete with the 250 engine using your 225 by 0.8 capacity and 0.08 additional cooling. Meanwhile if the 250 engine goes up to 11, it gets + 1.32 capacity and + 0.06 capacity above you.

Spoiler

This is one of the things hurting mediums and lights who can't hold a 250 engine, some designs can't.

View PostPyrrho, on 06 August 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

BJ-1DC: Wheeeeee

Like given for shotgun! Whoo!

#39 Lazydrones541

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

I too have played the other 3 blackjacks. I thought "I Love this thing!!!" Played the 1DC for about 3 games and sold it never to look back. As a medium mech it is the pinnacle of WTF? IMO it needs a greater degree of turning radius which would help it immensely (doubtful however)

#40 Skydrive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostLazydrones541, on 06 August 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

I too have played the other 3 blackjacks. I thought "I Love this thing!!!" Played the 1DC for about 3 games and sold it never to look back. As a medium mech it is the pinnacle of WTF? IMO it needs a greater degree of turning radius which would help it immensely (doubtful however)

Actually it would help it alot. Maybe 120 or higher.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users