Battlemech - Kintaro

402 replies to this topic

#381 M4L4R3K

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostLoveLost85, on 07 August 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

the GB has missile doors in the CT, open them with "/" for insta-fire like with the 'pult

View PostNgamok, on 07 August 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

If there are port doors on the CT and not the shoulder, that could explain the delay. Like teh Stalker, Catapult, Centurion bay doors.

maybe I wasn't clear enough or i chose the wrong words, when i said missile pods opened, i meant the bay doors in the CT so yes I have tried it like that and it is not doing anything. So maybe a game bug or i am having issues with my keyboard

#382 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 August 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I found it better after switching to LRMs, as I suspected I would. Treat it like a proper Trebuchet, not an MWO Treb.

Yeah, i think thats the way to go. I might still stick in an SRM just for those chance close range encounters..

Something like this

Last night i ended up switching to my Atlas i was so frustrated with the meta (i.e. brawling in suicide). Might have to also bring out my LRM boat awesome too and give that a shot. Still I will make the Kintaro work, i love the look of it - its my project to find a decent build :)

#383 LoveLost85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostM4L4R3K, on 07 August 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

maybe I wasn't clear enough or i chose the wrong words, when i said missile pods opened, i meant the bay doors in the CT so yes I have tried it like that and it is not doing anything. So maybe a game bug or i am having issues with my keyboard

id say keyboard, maybe just need to check your mapping in the options, cause I bought one and noticed the delay after my first match. after that I open the doors at the start of match, and no problems ever since

#384 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 07 August 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

Yeah, i think thats the way to go. I might still stick in an SRM just for those chance close range encounters..

Something like this

Last night i ended up switching to my Atlas i was so frustrated with the meta (i.e. brawling in suicide). Might have to also bring out my LRM boat awesome too and give that a shot. Still I will make the Kintaro work, i love the look of it - its my project to find a decent build :)

Details from the Periphery.

My rig at the moment.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...95e75bc1b20761d

Some scores of merit.
Spoiler

Good luck out there.

(Edit: Emphasized my lowest score was about what my Golden Boy did with the stock rig. Sad face.)
On that note: According to Smurfy the GoldenBoy maxes out at a 290 or 295 engine. All Kintaros, while having far fewer maximum missile tubes, max out at 360 engines. What's your Kintaro build?

Edited by Koniving, 07 August 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#385 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

THIS IS HILARIOUS

The Golden Boy's Kintaro mech is a shout out to the "Golden Boy"JUMP manga/anime where the main Protagonist is named "Kintaro"

http://en.wikipedia....den_Boy_(manga)

the Mech is mostly a short ranged brawler, mirroring Kintaro's martial arts in the series. and the Mech's huge CT hitbox signifies him taking a beating

can anyone check IF:

the pilot is sitting on a toilet
a small brownish/red notebook
there are scribbles that say "the human head cannot twist 360 degrees" or "C' is not sex"

Posted Image

against the picture on this the mech's stat screen

http://mwomercs.com/...ro/golden%20boy

I'm on to you PGI.

#386 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 August 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

I never saw it that way before. Now I want a button to reposition that arm. I can think of 4 great positions. One, where it is now. Two, ahead of me, to protect the torso as I approach (but it'd block the missiles). Three, raised in front of the cockpit, as you never know when you need it. Four, held out as far left as possible with the claw extended to try and trip lights as I run by. <--Vid of a Lariat (wrestling clothesline) from an Atlas against a Hunchback.

A bit off-topic here, but I like the way you think in regards to positioning. What you described, sans the tripping, is almost exactly the classic blocking positions one uses when fencing with sabres. :]

#387 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 08 August 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

THIS IS HILARIOUS

The Golden Boy's Kintaro mech is a shout out to the "Golden Boy"JUMP manga/anime where the main Protagonist is named "Kintaro"

the Mech is mostly a short ranged brawler, mirroring Kintaro's martial arts in the series. and the Mech's huge CT hitbox signifies him taking a beating

can anyone check IF:

there are scribbles that say "the human head cannot twist 360 degrees" or "C' is not sex"

Posted Image

http://mwomercs.com/...ro/golden%20boy

I'm on to you PGI.

Almost but not quite, Kintaro is a japanese folklore character, the manga thingie there is based off it too. Its sort of like us getting a mech thats named Davy Crockett.

#388 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 07 August 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

Something like this

I did fine last night in my HBK-4J (4xML 2xLRM10 with 2 tons of ammo). I just soften them up and then go in. I finally mastered it and then switched over to a HBK-4H (1xAC/10 5xML) and I brawled just fine with it as well. Problem of course is that my usual 250 to 500 damage range ins't enough in 12 man PuGs now, lol. But I took people out when I had to.

Before anyone says anything, no, not 12 man teams. Most mediums don't fit in it yet until they change something about drops or when we can 3,3,3,3 in lobbies.

#389 Divine Decoy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostNgamok, on 01 August 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Trebuchet Body

Quickdraw Head

Dragon Torsos

Once seen, can't be unseen........ man saddly true. bring me the orginal designs now plz. bring on the Pheonix packs for free

#390 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 08 August 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

THIS IS HILARIOUS

can anyone check IF:

Posted Image

Actually the name Kintaro literally translates to Golden Boy.
Kintaro is an old, old battle-tech design that never really got any good attention in mechwarrior games before. PGI's been really seeking out bringing mechs that haven't been featured in the past (except the Crabs, because they're mean!) and bringing them to the forefront as of late.

#391 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 August 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

[/size]

Actually the name Kintaro literally translates to Golden Boy.
Kintaro is an old, old battle-tech design that never really got any good attention in mechwarrior games before. PGI's been really seeking out bringing mechs that haven't been featured in the past (except the Crabs, because they're mean!) and bringing them to the forefront as of late.

Crab -
"Designed during the last days of the Star League, the Crab proved itself to be a superior unit, likely to become the standard medium 'Mech of the SLDF, were it not for the events leading to the downfall of the League. First built in 2719, fewer than 1,000 were produced before the Succession Wars destroyed the technological know-how to build and maintain these 'Mechs. Following the recovery of the Helm Memory Core, Cosara Weaponries was able to restart production in 3050."

They're not mean, they're following the timeline, which technically only 1,000ish people would be able to pilot that ancient crap until for whatever known reason they manufacture enough for people to suffer in. The crab looks like it'd have the worst hitbox of any mech yet.

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 08 August 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#392 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 08 August 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Crab -
"Designed during the last days of the Star League, the Crab proved itself to be a superior unit, likely to become the standard medium 'Mech of the SLDF, were it not for the events leading to the downfall of the League. First built in 2719, fewer than 1,000 were produced before the Succession Wars destroyed the technological know-how to build and maintain these 'Mechs. Following the recovery of the Helm Memory Core, Cosara Weaponries was able to restart production in 3050."

They're not mean, they're following the timeline, which technically only 1,000ish people would be able to pilot that ancient crap until for whatever known reason they manufacture enough for people to suffer in. The crab looks like it'd have the worst hitbox of any mech yet.

Might explain the crab itself. But my own interest is on the King Crab.

Before I continue, this was about the Flea, but it's worth quoting as it has my own personal rules for how to size something.

View PostKoniving, on 02 August 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

Following my basic rules for mech design:

The Flea is going to be taller than the Locust, which puts it at about the height of a Jenner.

The way I see it:
The wider your front profile and the longer your side profile, the shorter you should be (Jenner for example. Locust fits in this category too).
If your front profile is wide but your side profile is stubby, you should be average height. (Commando)
If your front profile is narrow but your side profile is long, you should be average height. (Raven)
If your front profile is narrow and your side profile is narrow, you should be taller. (Flea)
If your front profile is wide and your side profile is long, you should be shorter. (Locust)

So despite being 20 tons, the Flea should be as tall as a 25 ton mech of average height Commando, which is still shorter than a Jenner. Meanwhile, with so much more surface area horizontally on both axis (wide and long), the Locust should thusly be shorter than an average 20 ton mech.

But that's just how I would have done it.

I will tell you this and it's something good to remember. The Crab's design is very long. About as long as a Hunchback is tall. The crab does not appear to be that wide. As such the Crab would therefore need to have the height of a Hunchback and snubbed akin to Alex's art. Otherwise the Crab will be shorter than the Hunchback, should the Crab go by the original art in which it's wide and long.

The fun fact is the Crab's special ability is to fire both 90 degrees left and right at the same time. A shame we won't see that ability, as it's one ability that would make people avoid its otherwise 'easy to attack' sides.

Trends developing in the actual mechs are similar to this rule set with minor exceptions.

For example the Trebuchet -- not counting its arms, is actually skinnier than the Hunchback. But it's exceedingly tall (almost as tall as an Atlas) so that it can throw LRMs over hills.
The Centurion is tall and wide, though not as tall as Treb. It seems to be the exception.

When you look at the Spider it's very narrow in width, very stubby in length and very tall considering. The spider isn't the standard for a 30 ton's height, but a standard for a taller mech. As such the next 30 ton mech will be shorter.

But, I'm going by how I would scale them. I've put a lot of thought in how the King Crab might work and long for the day. ;) Poor thing is gonna be an LRM magnet.

Edited by Koniving, 08 August 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#393 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 August 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Might explain the crab itself. But my own interest is on the King Crab.

Before I continue, this was about the Flea, but it's worth quoting as it has my own personal rules for how to size something.

I will tell you this and it's something good to remember. The Crab's design is very long. About as long as a Hunchback is tall. The crab does not appear to be that wide. As such the Crab would therefore need to have the height of a Hunchback and snubbed akin to Alex's art. Otherwise the Crab will be shorter than the Hunchback, should the Crab go by the original art in which it's wide and long.

The fun fact is the Crab's special ability is to fire both 90 degrees left and right at the same time. A shame we won't see that ability, as it's one ability that would make people avoid its otherwise 'easy to attack' sides.

which is probably one of the factors as to why its not in the game, also they dont seem to keen on making mechs "properly" sized so it'd probably be either gargantuan or too small. Example the giant raven Stalker

#394 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 08 August 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

which is probably one of the factors as to why its not in the game, also they dont seem to keen on making mechs "properly" sized so it'd probably be either gargantuan or too small. Example the giant raven Stalker

Stalker is still the shortest assault, or is that what you meant? In terms of torso area it's almost identical to the area of an Atlas minus the head. It's wide, it's long, and thus it's short -- kind of how I would have gone about it, too.

Edited by Koniving, 08 August 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#395 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 August 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

Details from the Periphery.

My rig at the moment.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...95e75bc1b20761d

(Edit: Emphasized my lowest score was about what my Golden Boy did with the stock rig. Sad face.)
On that note: According to Smurfy the GoldenBoy maxes out at a 290 or 295 engine. All Kintaros, while having far fewer maximum missile tubes, max out at 360 engines. What's your Kintaro build?

XL 280 - 4 LRM 5 - LRM 10 - 3 MEDLAS: NB: The LRM5 work great, can practically chain fire a non stop fast volley..

Well, generally averaging around 300 or so damage, but managed to squeeze out 455 in caustic.. ..we were down 6-2 and went on to win. Faith in 12v12 and the GoldenBoy restored. :(

Posted Image

Edited by White Bear 84, 08 August 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#396 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 08 August 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

XL 280 - 4 LRM 5 - LRM 10 - 3 MEDLAS: NB: The LRM5 work great, can practically chain fire a non stop fast volley..

Well, generally averaging around 300 or so damage, but managed to squeeze out 455 in caustic.. ..we were down 6-2 and went on to win. Faith in 12v12 and the GoldenBoy restored. :)

Thought you might like this.

View PostKoniving, on 08 August 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

This isn't 100% accurate, but it's pretty close considering I did this in 45 seconds.
Posted Image

Basically from the front, left, and right, your CT front can be hit. There is Zero risk in using an XL engine, but as a result there is Zero protection for your CT.

Golden Boy is also the slowest of all Kintaros (290 engine) versus the rest (360 engines). This means the Golden Boy is the worst one to use for brawling. It makes up for this by having 65 total missile tubes available. Most other Kintaros are listed as having 26 to 28 tubes.

#397 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

Added endo and got some armor. Definately an armored treb! As a brawler i think it sucks, but complete opposite opinion as LRM support.

Posted Image

#398 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

White bear, it's nice to know that the golden boy doesn't suck after all :)
If I didn't already have a founders catapult I'd buy the golden boy.

Edited by Snowcrow, 09 August 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#399 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostSnowcrow, on 09 August 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

White bear, it's nice to know that the golden boy doesn't suck after all :(
If I didn't already have a founders catapult I'd buy the golden boy.

Well you can just about make any mech work! :)

I think it goes really well as long range LRM support with 12v12.. ..much tougher treb.

Well Snowcrow, if you want to foray into the world of mediums, i would recommend :D

Posted Image

Edited by White Bear 84, 09 August 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#400 The King in the North

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 778 posts
  • LocationRussia, Chelyabinskaya obl., Ozersk

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

today. LRM support golden boy. Looks nice :)
Posted Image

Edited by BlackyCat, 09 August 2013 - 02:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users