#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Note: First, content of this guide is subject to changes, since Spiders, as many claims, enjoys the extra dexterity bonus from "the lag shield", and the fact that Hero Spider is not nowhere to be seen at the moment. Second, I hereby reserve the right to claim my Spider 5D to be, the original, **** Dentist.

Spider. Doubtlessly the best scout chassis so far. The balance between armor level and its slender silhouette, combining with a massive number of jumpjets, gives a Spider unprecedented mobility over terrain. Not mentioning the Spider 5D, the 30-ton ninja who has the ability to mount ECM.

The flaws of Spiders comes from the lack of firepower. Any other present Light chassis could easily outgun a Spider, making them somewhat in disadvantage when in Light-to-Light combat. Also, the hardpoint layouts for each variant vastly differ from each other, therefore it is required to prepare different tactic for each. I do believe the latter brings more fun to the play.

So, without further ado, let's get down to the builds. Note that my aim is to maximize a chassis' effectiveness while keeping the simplicity as high as possible, but it is entirely up to you to minor-tweak your build as you will.

===========================================================================

Spider 5-D

First, I wouldn't pretend to be knowing more than this guy in the act of ERPPC jump-sniping. It is indeed a more than viable tactic, but I do believe that since similar task can be done by a Jenner or Raven 4-X, the obviously most powerful Spider 5D, with three energy hardpoints and ECM should be assigned to another tactic that can only be done by 5D. A tactic that I usually refer as: **** Dentist tactic.

Here's the build: XL225, 10DHS, Endo-Steel, ECM, 6xJJ, 1xLL, 2xML

Now, before you cry out "this is too slow", the XL225 engine does bring a Spider to an un-tweaked 121.5km/h, what I call the minimum Light efficient speed. Combining with six jumpjets and ECM cloaking, such a Spider is very mobile. (besides XL225 also works magic on Blackjack. Saves you some c-bills)

The **** Dentist tactic, and the reasoning behind it, is very simple. Early game, you run forward and scout/cap and do all those Light things, but as soon as your teammates contact enemy's main force, you return to your pack immediately. Then, you pick either the enemy who's deepest into your friendly's formation, or the enemy who's mostly overwhelmed by your friendly's firepower. You lock your arms, creep up from behind, adjust your speed to maintain your crosshair on your prey's crotch (the part which, conveniently, counts as Rear CT), and ALPHASTRIKE TILL IT'S RED HOT AND EXPLODE.

Get it? ;)

Your ECM would very well conceive you in the chaos of a combat, and being the generally under-armed Light means you tend to get ignored from time to time. The fact that all your weapons are Lasers also makes you stand out much less than, say, an ERPPC loadout. It is also recommended that you paint yourself dark to maximize the effect. You're a ninja.

With some fundamental understanding of Light piloting - stay mobile, use JJ to turn mid-air and don't why away from running when being focused on - you can easily rack up 400+ damage per match, as well as harvesting more kills than you usually expect from a Light. It does require some situation awareness to find your best prey, but c'mon, you're in a Light, you know the drill. Besides, you get to taunt your prey with all sorts of inappropriate **** jokes.

Also, it is entirely okay if you don't do practice this tactic, and just shoot whoever in your sight. You do get more C-Bill for assists, after all.

Oh, and remember: LOCK THE ARMS. That would help greatly concentrating the firepower to one spot.

Spider 5-K

First, the build: XL255, Endo-Steel, Ferro-Fibrous, 10DHS, 3xJJ, 1xERLL, 4xMG(2ton)

Please. Just stop trying to mount an AC on this poor thing. Having four MGs in your arms gives your the equivalence of four SLas, plus a much higher crit-rate on internals and all the heatsinks to completely neutralize the heat. A great deal if you ask me. Besides, you still have an ERLL for long-range combat.

Admittedly though, quad-MG may still not be as effective as, say, twin-SSRM2, when fighting Lights. Therefore it is again recommended to use this build in frontline combat, instead of going full-scout like you could with other better equipped Lights. However, instead of being a rear-caressing creep like 5-D, all you need to do is circling around the frontline full-speed and just POUR your bullets over whoever you see in range. Jump. Turn. Spin in mid-air. Put your best The Matrix/Max Payne impression in the show. The faster swipe of your arms will help you land your shot greatly, and if you can manage to pour out all your two ton ammos toward the generally direction of your foes, chance is you will score at least 400+ damage.

Still, preferably you should search for enemies who has armor worn-out, as MGs chew off equipment from structure much faster than other weapons, thanks to the highest crit-rate.

Also, regarding the ammo placement: I tend to circle my target counter-clockwise, which is why I place the second ton of ammo in right arm. Still a better place than anywhere else.

Spider 5-V

This is the tricky one. Dreadfully short on energy hardpoints while having all of them in CT, the best you can do is either pack in a single LPL, or a pair of MPL. I do recommend the later, because while lacks in range and emits more heat, twin-MPL excel in every other ways. Thus, the build:

XL255, Endo-Steel, 10DHS, 12JJ, 2xMPL.

Yup. All twelve jumpjets. You'll fly across the sky like a brony ******* rainbows.

Okay that might not be the best metaphor, but you get the idea.

Mobility over firepower, and strike when you're ignored. Again, being so severely under-armed and unable to fight pretty much anyone 1v1, you should return to your pack as soon as you're done with initial scouting-capping. Shoot occupied enemies, preferably those who are slower than you, and aim for the legs of the Lights to take advantage of your rapid beams. And remember, there's no shame in running in a Spider, especially when you have three times the JJ than anyone else on the field. Stay low when possible, use terrain around you to cut off unwanted pursuers.

But remember, don't fly too high. You may break your own legs.

Also: LOCK THE ARMS. You have no weapons in there, and the arm cross-hair (the circle with a drag-line between it and the torso cross-hair) is a lie. Thus locking the arms would give you more feedback where your shots are going.

That's it. My Spider guide. Bought it for the lol, though I'd hate it, turned out I love it. After Mastering 5D and half way through the rest, this is my tribute to this little weirdo. You're welcome, ladies.

- Helmstif, the original **** Dentist

Edited by Helmstif, 05 August 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#2 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

Looks good, personally I prefer an ERLL on my 5D for long range usefulness.

#3 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 03 August 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Looks good, personally I prefer an ERLL on my 5D for long range usefulness.

I think we can all agree that ERPPC does a better job :P

#4 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 August 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

I think we can all agree that ERPPC does a better job :)

I dont, on something that fast and that frantic I prefer the beam weapons anyday.

#5 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

im running the anoybot 3000tm since a few days now ( erppc got boring ) and ive got to admit its FUNbut i use this build instead because i think 2 jj are enough ( but thats my2cts ) so that i can use the 255

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86b62071b8d839b

#6 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

I tried the other 5D builds, and I kept coming back to the XL255, 3 mplas, and 2 JJ. It just works for me. My highest damage in this build is 899 and 5 kills. Otherwise I agree with the other two builds. Consistently I am doing 200-400 damage with 1-3 kills and lots of assists.

Edited by mailin, 05 August 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#7 T Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

Wheres the guide?

Nothing new for me and even the loadouts are old news...

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostT Hawk, on 05 August 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Wheres the guide?

Nothing new for me and even the loadouts are old news...

The guide is more like a miniguide of what works for the OP. You do understand that there aren't that many different things you can do with a Spider, right? At least, not that many that would be successful. Also, this isn't a detailed guide on how to run your Spider. That's up to you, which is one of the things that I enjoy about lights. Lights really have the most freedom of any mech in the game. (At least in the opening phase, and once the enemy is engaged.) Besides, there are plenty of guides out there that you can glean info on how to run a Spider.

#9 T Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

View Postmailin, on 05 August 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

The guide is more like a miniguide of what works for the OP. You do understand that there aren't that many different things you can do with a Spider, right? At least, not that many that would be successful. Also, this isn't a detailed guide on how to run your Spider. That's up to you, which is one of the things that I enjoy about lights. Lights really have the most freedom of any mech in the game. (At least in the opening phase, and once the enemy is engaged.) Besides, there are plenty of guides out there that you can glean info on how to run a Spider.

I don't think I need advice on how to run my Spider. The problem is even starters won't get much info in here. Mostly basic stuff and 3 builds that have been known for ages. That and a lot of blah.

#10 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostT Hawk, on 05 August 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

I don't think I need advice on how to run my Spider. The problem is even starters won't get much info in here. Mostly basic stuff and 3 builds that have been known for ages. That and a lot of blah.

It's slim, fast, and can carry a lot of JJs. It's usually outgunned thus one in a Spider should stay mobile, yet it is much harder to hit which adds more fun in there. Plus three tactics and the loadouts that has gone through enough field test to be called viable. I did this because there're still people out there asking Spider tactics, and I think I've packed all the information in there.

#11 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

1. never ever stand still
2. always attack the rear side
3. dont play fair
4. if u get engaged by other lights retreat to team
5. help lrm boats
6. cycle through targets find weak one and kill it
7. use shut down to dissapear ( hide ) then power up and execute 2.
8. run through enemy team to create distraction
9. never zoom in ! ur situational awareness is paramount
10. WIN

Edited by LordDante, 05 August 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#12 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostLordDante, on 05 August 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

1. never ever stand still
2. always attack the rear side
3. dont play fair
4. if u get engaged by other lights retreat to team
5. help lrm boats
6. cycle through targets find weak one and kill it
7. use shut down to dissapear ( hide ) then power up and execute 2.
8. run through enemy team to create distraction
9. never zoom in ! ur situational awareness is paramount
10. WIN

Plus the mindset in your profile Location.

#13 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

being a complete maniac lowers the difficulty of survival by 35% :) and use throttle decay it will take a while to get used to it but it boosts ur unpredictableness and agillity a LOT ( im very serious here )

Edited by LordDante, 06 August 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#14 Long Range Missile Platform MCX

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

as a profesional tri-pod and spider 5D only player i highly advice 3x mpl if you have mastered your mech, becuase at the high speeds your flying by the lightning fast double pulses do great PRECISE damage where as you 2x ll give you great fighting power agaisnt other lightmechs only. becuase it isnt as precise and fast . but hey to each his own

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users