Mechwarrior Movie or Series?

62 replies to this topic

Poll: Movie,Tv Series,Cartoon (204 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes i would like to see PGI do a Mechwarrior movie or Tv Series

1. Yes? (176 votes [85.85%])

Percentage of vote: 85.85%

2. No? (29 votes [14.15%])

Percentage of vote: 14.15%

Yes i would like to see PGI do a Mechwarrior Cartoon Series?

1. Yes? (114 votes [55.61%])

Percentage of vote: 55.61%

2. No? (91 votes [44.39%])

Percentage of vote: 44.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Yay for boobs and giant robots in a HBO show! No to Michael Bay!

#42 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

I always thought the Grey Death Legion books would make a good movie.

#43 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

The Original picture was of Katrina Steiner of House Steiner with a Sword.I was thinking about her relationship with Hanse Davion.

A sickly child, Katrina Steiner surprised her doctors by going on to pilot a BattleMech at the tender age of 12. Graduating from the Nagelring Academy in 2994 at just 18, she was posted to the 3rd Arcturan Lancers conventional regiment as an infantry officer and later went through various postings in different military branches. Her stated reason for this was to become well acquainted with all of them. Despite her meandering career path, by 3004 she had risen to the rank of Hauptmann-General. She commanded the 10th Lyran Guards (which is traditionally led by the Archon's heir, or at least member of House Steiner) and the 2nd Royal Guards before being promoted to the Strategy and Tactics Division.
She disappeared briefly in 3005, before reemerging on Tharkad a year later, seemingly changed and more hostile to her uncle, then-Archon Alessandro Steiner.
This, combined with Alessandro's foolish military strategies, led directly to Katrina's coup d'etat against him in 3007 and her subsequent appointment as Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth.
[edit] Marriage and Children

Katrina married her long-time friend and lover [color="#ba0000"]Arthur Luvon[/color], the Duke of Donegal, in 3009. The following year saw the birth of their only child, Melissa. That was also the same year that Arthur died of cancer.
[edit] Archon

In 3020, Archon Katrina hoped to bring about a diplomatic solution to the Succession Wars. This peace proposal was rejected by all the Successor States, but marked a beginning of a cordial relationship with First Prince Hanse Davion and the Federated Suns. By 3022, Katrina and Hanse had signed an alliance treaty between their respective nations and the Archon had willingly betrothed her daughter, Melissa, to the First Prince.
On 15 March, at the start of the War of 3039, Katrina abdicated in favor of Melissa. She died peacefully on 4 January 3040, less than a year later.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by KingCobra, 12 June 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#44 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 12 June 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Katrina Steiner of House Davion

:)

#45 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I prefer to think of the Patlabor movies as getting my sorta-Battletech fix.

I like how their mecha were handled, and definitely am a fan of that particular animation.

Other anime mecha series I could take or leave.

#46 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

The movie industry doesn't get video game stories.

First the plot would need a love interest with huge plastic hooters, she would only take the role if she appeared a strong independent woman and so there would be a few forced scenes where she appears to be so but will lose all credibility when she gets her kit off for the love scene with the moron she is destined to fall in love with, due to his apelike appearence and childlike brain. Then there would need to be the clumsy mechwarrior pilot that is the comedy sidekick, the hero/moron would be a guy that makes Vin Diesel look like Al Pacino and the bad guy would be an english actor who has talent but terrible lines and just took the part because he needed to pay the bills but would really rather be doing theatre.

It would take place as a trilogy of movies where the first one has a cliff hanger ending, the second one makes a lot of noise and **** gets ****** up but doesn't go anywhere. In the third one the bad guy dies in a horribly camp last minute triumph speech, just as he appeared victorious. The hero gets a cheesy line and then cuts to his marriage ceremony with "plastic ****" while comedy sidekick makes a joke to his new alien cgi pet that is so cute it spawns it's own movie.

They'll release a toy franchise that is over priced cheap plastic crap, made in third world countries and marketed to spoilt children who **** away more pocket money in a week than the kids that made the toys earn in a year. The tabletop game will get a re-release where the rules are "streamlined" so idiots will buy it for the glowy plastic counters/templates and then the fanbase will be the equivalent to ******* in a bottle of finest scotch.

Hollywood will lament the critics panning the films and blame it on the original content, claiming their "changes" were needed to reach a wider audience and that video games don't make good movies anyway. The video game tie in will fail miserably and then...right there, movie makers and video game publishers will claim there is not enough interest in ever doing anything battletech related again.

#47 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

We should all vote no for PGI to do movie or cartoon and have another poll that Someone do a Movie and Cartoon for Battletech. PGI barely can keep up with producing MWO. Yes, i want a well written and produced Battletech / Mechwarrior themed (Movie or series) done in ( Live action, CGI, Anime) and released on (TV / DVD). Well, i would settle for one from (SYFI, Cartoon network, Disney, TNT, AMC, FX) channel but i would not expect much. Some one in this thread said a hollywood producer has the option to do one so what ever responses gathered here should be sent to that person in a letter writting campaine. Maybe also send our interest to IP owner of the Battletech Universe. Have you seen the Star Trek: the New Voyages, they done a great job doing TOS stories on a shoestring budget. I would vote for producer J. Michael Straczynski to do a live action tv series since he done the awesome Babylon 5. As for anime / CGI, give it to the japanese like the producers that done Gundam. Maybe they should start with a anime series. Just need to keep the teenagers out of the plot story

As for what FrostPaw said, yeah Hollywood has hard time making video game into movies but i think Battletech would be different with all the books, comics, game books and other media already done on the subject.

View PostSplunkjamma, on 12 June 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

From wiki

Live-action film

Electric Entertainment, a Hollywood production company founded by Dean Devlin, currently holds the option to produce a feature film based on the MechWarrior universe.[5] In 2003, Devlin approached Paramount to pitch the project but failed to receive funding. The project is currently in development hell.[/color]

Edited by Rodney28021, 12 June 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#48 NightFallsOnU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostStimbles, on 12 June 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

it was still cool for its time... the toys were BAS***

#49 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostMoksha Raver, on 12 June 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

A movie would go a long way to introducing the MW universe to a whole new generation. I for one would like to see one done. With the advances in CGI and the rich BT history to work with, I can't see why one can't be made!

Licensing,

View PostKingCobra, on 12 June 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

Katrina Steiner of House Davion

Im pretty sure she was from Steiner, :)

#50 WeatherWitch

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Don't be too hard on the BT cartoon, it got me into the whole thing and I'm sure many others as well.

#51 Forren

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationNew Barcella, Irece

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostNoahbash, on 12 June 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

My idea for a MechWarrior film:
(This is not as much for for MechWarrior fans, but for anyone who likes giant mechs, and does not follow any MechWarrior lore.)

Why would it be titled "MechWarrior" if it doesn't take place in the BattleTech universe? To be honest, it sounds like a SyFy direct to TV movie.. probably starring Michael Shanks as "<Insert topical field of science here>ologist".. poor guy.. being reduced to a budget syfy actor.

A MechWarrior movie would have to center on the Pilots (MechWarriors), and the easiest way to do that is to have a Merc company be the centerpoint, plenty of room for treachery, betrayal, kindness and brotherhood. BattleTech movie if you want Mechs.

My pitch would be "Operation Bulldog: THE MOVIE" or "Battle of Tukayyid: THE MOVIE" Keep it mostly self contained and as true as possible to the lore. It should show the Inner Sphere and the Clans with both light and dark qualities, where both societies, while disagreeing, come to a level of respect for one another. Except for Clan Smoke Jaguar who goes to jail. The ending should be bittersweet, with the loss of a friend or even the protagonist making the heroic sacrifice to turn the tide of battle, it just has to make sense in the BattleTech universe. Also, this might just be ComStar propaganda.. subtly hinting at the truth at the end of the credits?

Or we could just go for the Critter-TEK cartoon, that'll be popular with the kids.

#52 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

Movie, cartoon, comics ... whatever works to get the word out. The latter will probably not be too hard on the budget. Things may escalate easily from this point on. It worked out for Marvel as well. Hell, if they could partner up with PGI, that would be awesome =)

#53 Dataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationJakarta, ID

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

we should tell a story of inner sphere. it's call regeneration of fans

#54 chumppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVaasa, Finland

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:43 AM

I answered no to both because I want them to concentrate on the game and future games(!? ;)

#55 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

View Postchumppi, on 13 June 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

I answered no to both because I want them to concentrate on the game and future games(!? ;)

It's all part of a bigger picture. Doncha worry pal, it's all good.

#56 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostMajor Tom, on 12 June 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

PGI doesn't own the rights to movies/shows, and they cannot make toys either.

we could capture footage from the game as we play.......

#57 Kettingzaag

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationMontreal, PQ, Canada

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

Just sayin, but a Battletech/Mechwarrior movie or series would most likely be horrible from the dreaded acting of the new century.

#58 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

I sure don't expect PGI to do any sort of television series. I would like to see one happen however.

That old animated series was awesome for it's time. AWESOME!

I'm interested enough in the subject matter to try. I'm going to write up a few short stories based on canon, and get some storyboards happening.
  • Worst case scenario, I end up with a handful of junkies emoting around in a garage painted green.
  • Best case, I'll put together a worthy web series.
  • Most likely scenario - I'll think hard about doing this and go eat some bacon.

Also : If we have a testing facility in MWO, then we'll be able to make machinima. Betwixt that and some green screen webcam action, lies Awesomeness.

Edited by Artifice, 13 June 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#59 Noahbash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 128 posts
  • LocationYork, PA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostJazeera, on 12 June 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

Why would it be titled "MechWarrior" if it doesn't take place in the BattleTech universe?

It would be called MechWarrior because its about people who play MechWarrior building actual Mechs. Is that really a stretch?

#60 Forren

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationNew Barcella, Irece

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostNoahbash, on 14 June 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

It would be called MechWarrior because its about people who play MechWarrior building actual Mechs. Is that really a stretch?

I guess you could go the Battleship route, where the movie is very loosely based on the BattleTech/MechWarrior IP.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users