172 replies to this topic

#101 Reptilizer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostTesunie, on 15 August 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Provide input? Be constructive? The OP has been very reasonable debating his side of the argument so far. He doesn't need people to just "throw mud" in here. I'm not going to say you don't precent good points, but your ton in which you have delivered these points makes people not want to like what you say, or even respond nicely back.

Oh, and your statement is not a "closing thread" statement. The OP feels strongly on this topic, and it doesn't hurt to debate it. It's like several of my own topics, like one I had where I was asking for people's opinions on Macros in the game. Ghost heat came in and... well... made the whole point kinda unimportant and took out half the points being made.

Actually i did both. If you do not like my style of writing i will sum it up for you:

Input:
We all do not know jack about survivabilty calculations because we do not know one of the basic parameters -> The percentage of damage a mech is likely to receive from a given weapons platform. Termed "hitability" by me, use whatever suits you. Not every shot hits. Big and slow stuff without cover is easier to hit than small and fast stuff having cover. Thus changing the percentage of damage than reaches a mech. Nobody knows how this scales.

Be constructive:
First step to solve a problem i do not know all parameters from: Analyze the phenomenon by looking at statistics. Sadly we do not have access to the statistics, only PGI has. Thus we are all wasting time here. Does not sound constructive? Well, trying to stop a futile effort is.

By the way: I am not here to be liked and i write like i feel. I am here to play giant stompy robots. I appreciate the effort to make giant stompy robots a better game. But i hate everybody wasting their time on some mirage, pulling up numbers from i do not know where to change the game in some haphazard way without understanding what they are doing at all. A random number generator would do a better job here, at least it would not come with a bias.

View PostTesunie, on 15 August 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

Let me refer you to wonders of graph making. I now know how to make graphs in Adobe Illustrator, which is kinda handy. Sorry, I couldn't seem to get it to be color coded, so pardon the line graph a little. Just suffice to say it says the same date as the bar graph under it.

*following lots of nice graphs*

This is just what i meant. Lots of data assembled to nice graphs. Seemingly useful for making an argument pro or contra double armor and its connection to mech survivability, right?
Not!
Does anybody know the formula for survivability? No. So you are compiling stuff that looks nice and all, but is just not relevant for forming arguments pro or against the OPs assumption. Nobody can provide that.

Tl;dr: The OPs assumption is a personal feeling, a subjective view of things without any proof at all because nobody knows the formula for survivability or the relations of the parameters to be used in there. You can not have an objective discussion on a subjective issue.

Edited by Reptilizer, 16 August 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#102 DeadlyNerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:08 AM

Example:
Rich has $1000. Poor has $100.
Each gain double!
Rich now has $2000. Poor now has $200.

I don't disagree with the argument, but don't use this as facts. This could also mean that rich now has $1800 more than the poor, instead of $900. Unless you doubled prices(as in damage), this is obviously working in the rich favor.

View PostReptilizer, on 16 August 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Input:
We all do not know jack about survivabilty calculations because we do not know one of the basic parameters -> The percentage of damage a mech is likely to receive from a given weapons platform. Termed "hitability" by me, use whatever suits you. Not every shot hits. Big and slow stuff without cover is easier to hit than small and fast stuff having cover. Thus changing the percentage of damage than reaches a mech. Nobody knows how this scales.

still @Tesunie : Or you could just think like he does, as in logically, and double armor is now actually benefiting lights more than assaults.

Edited by DeadlyNerd, 16 August 2013 - 02:11 AM.

#103 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

For some reason, the Commando seemed to only gain 1.5% increase to it's stock armor values from TT to MWO, instead of the 2.0% everyone else got. Don't understand this flaw.

That's because your numbers are off.
1. Torso armour is split front and rear.
2. Very few stock 'mechs mount full armour.
3. The TT Commando has a maximum of 16 armour points on CT,
4. The TT Stock Commando has 12 armour points on CT split 8/4 between front and rear.
5. The MWO Commando has a maximum of 32 armour points on CT
6. The MWO Stock Commando has 16 or 24 armour points on CT, split either 12/4 or 16/8.

In short, it's a perfect doubling of MAX VALUES, not stock values.

Edited by stjobe, 16 August 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#104 Shibas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

This is just what i meant. Lots of data assembled to nice graphs. Seemingly useful for making an argument pro or contra double armor and its connection to mech survivability, right?
Not!
Does anybody know the formula for survivability? No. So you are compiling stuff that looks nice and all, but is just not relevant for forming arguments pro or against the OPs assumption. Nobody can provide that.

Well the good thing about math is that we don't always need the exact formula to infer a relative increase or decrease of an end result.

If we were to make some inference that: things benefiting you increase survivability and things going against you reduce it, the formula "may" look like this:

Survivability = (Player skill - Opponent skill)*(Map Terrain modifier)+ (Armor + Internal Structure) + Speed + (Player Weapons - Opponents Weapons) + X random value <luck, chance, outside environment>

since armor is a beneficial factor in determining "survivability" regardless of a formula we can infer that as the number goes up, the "survivability" would go up, just as if it goes down the "survivability" would go down.

Even if you were to ignore every other factor but armor (Or IS) in determining a persons "survivability rating" you could infer it would increase by going:

you have 10 armor, I deal 2 damage, you have 8 armor left. (20% damage)
you have 20 armor, I deal 2 damage, you have 18 armor left. (10% damage).

As I mentioned, Increasing the armor more than what it is now as a fixed method instead of a choice method (increase max caps or FF increasing max cap) would cause a handful of other problems to occur. Also, in doing so as a choice would make certain features of mech design more viable; FF would actually be a non-laughable choice on heavier mechs. Maxing armor and dropping where needed might not be the go to method of mech design too having a more conscious choice of less armor to lower tonnage for weapons, engine, equipment.

#105 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 August 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Your Pie is a Lie. A Spider on TT has 8 points f frontal CT armor. MWO has 16 which is... double. That you cannot take an AC20 to the chest in a Spider is spot on. The TT Spider loses all is frontal armor, Internal structure and some rear armor if it were still hanging on some how. MWO's Spider loses all armor on front and 4 structure. Dead is still dead.

Internal structure is based off the max armor of the mech. If max armor goes up by double, than internal structure goes up as a consequence. The Spider has a Max armor (by smurfy) of 40 for it's CT. I'm presuming that it was exactly doubled, which means in TT it use to be 20. That would make TT IS 10, and MWO IS becomes 20. (IS really is 10 for the spider by TT.)

Actually, if I am correct, if you customized your Spider to have max armor in TT (I do not have the exact rules here), it could survive a single AC20 shot to the CT and have all it's internals there untouched. With it's 8 stock armor, an AC20 shot would kill it (18 total health for front CT). Customized for max armor, it would take two such shots to take down the Spider, TT. MWO, it would take two shots to down a stock Spider (armor 16 + IS 20) with 4 points of damage to spare (TT was 2 points to spare). A maxed armor Spider now needs 2 shots to punch through CT armor, and a third to clear the structure. Still sounds kinda reasonable to me so far...

Basically, CT Health for a Spider:
- TT Stock 18 (8 + 10)
- MWO Stock 36 (16 + 20)
- TT (presumed) max 30 (20 + 10)
- MWO Max 60 (40 + 20)

Actually i did both. If you do not like my style of writing i will sum it up for you:

Input:

Be constructive:
First step to solve a problem i do not know all parameters from: Analyze the phenomenon by looking at statistics. Sadly we do not have access to the statistics, only PGI has. Thus we are all wasting time here. Does not sound constructive? Well, trying to stop a futile effort is.

By the way: I am not here to be liked and i write like i feel. I am here to play giant stompy robots. I appreciate the effort to make giant stompy robots a better game. But i hate everybody wasting their time on some mirage, pulling up numbers from i do not know where to change the game in some haphazard way without understanding what they are doing at all. A random number generator would do a better job here, at least it would not come with a bias.

Not!

Tl;dr: The OPs assumption is a personal feeling, a subjective view of things without any proof at all because nobody knows the formula for survivability or the relations of the parameters to be used in there. You can not have an objective discussion on a subjective issue.

You Attitude is not constructive. You have the attitude of "I am right, You are wrong. Close the thread now. Discussion over." That is... wrong. You make good points about "hitability", which has been discussed in this thread so far. That is part of teh survivability equation. And we can't gain hard evidence on hit to miss against what mechs ourselves. However, if there is a problem here we can still discuss it and maybe find some shred of evidence or proof with the numbers we do have and present the case to PGI and get them to look deeper into the "problem".

On the other hand, the point of debating, we might convince the OP and other like minded people as him, that it isn't a problem in the game and is running fine. On the flip side, he might convince us that there really is a problem from this debate. It's the whole purpose of debating and presenting two different sides of a subject. So... your ending statements are wrong. Your points are still valid though and I understand how easy a target is to hit does factor in, but seen as that is a fluctuating number that can't be given a solid "30% of shots fired at lights miss of splash few points of damage" number.

This same kind of debate was around when SSRMs was a problem. We could tell there was a problem with them against certain mechs. It wasn't till, after a lot of talk and math attempts, someone was able to find the splash damage causing extra damage to specific mechs. This could be a very similar thing. Just because we don't have all the pieces to the puzzle doesn't mean we still can't try to fit the pieces we do have and then guess at the picture.

View PostDeadlyNerd, on 16 August 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

I don't disagree with the argument, but don't use this as facts. This could also mean that rich now has $1800 more than the poor, instead of $900. Unless you doubled prices(as in damage), this is obviously working in the rich favor.

still @Tesunie : Or you could just think like he does, as in logically, and double armor is now actually benefiting lights more than assaults.

I added in doubling prices as an example of how doubling armor (yes effects the game but) doesn't really effect anything besides to bring a bit more survivability equally across the board. The Double Armor did not give the Atlas any extra tonnage nor weapons. It will take twice the damage it took before to drop it. Same goes for the Commando. It has twice the armor, so twice the damage are needed to kill it. If anything, it improved the survivability of light mechs even more than it did assaults, just because of the ability to hit them. Lights now can survive a hit or two before going down. That can mean the difference between escaping, or at least causing some damage before you drop. Without doubled armor, a lot of lights would drop without causing a single point of damage. Then, you would really see a lack of light mechs on the field.

I am thinking logically. I'm thinking mathematically as well. Each tells me that doubled armor improved survivability across the board by a set amount. It scales evenly. Where once it could take x damage before dropping, now it takes x+x. I agree that lights actually gain more benefit from their practical armor, even if their physical armor did not improve as much from doubling. I don't disagree with his points or his statements, I disagree with his method of delivering his points. He acts like he's the end all of arguments here and that he is right and we all are wrong (even when we seem to be agreeing with each other). He hasn't even tried to present the idea in a more social manner.

Also, what he adds into the thread is not new. We actually touched on "hitability" already. It is a number we can not accurately crunch, so it is best to acknowledge it is there, but not include it into any direct calculations, as we have no numbers to calculate for this fact. I mean, we could arbitrarily add in a "50% of shots fired on a light will miss" and a "10% of shots fired on a slower mech will miss" into the equation and see what happens, but we can't prove what those numbers really should be. This is an algebra problem we can't solve for x. x Remains an equation expression that has no real number.

View Poststjobe, on 16 August 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

That's because your numbers are off.
1. Torso armour is split front and rear.
2. Very few stock 'mechs mount full armour.
3. The TT Commando has a maximum of 16 armour points on CT,
4. The TT Stock Commando has 12 armour points on CT split 8/4 between front and rear.
5. The MWO Commando has a maximum of 32 armour points on CT
6. The MWO Stock Commando has 16 or 24 armour points on CT, split either 12/4 or 16/8.

In short, it's a perfect doubling of MAX VALUES, not stock values.

Actually, if you would give me time to comment back to you in my other thread instead of following me around, I wasn't off in these numbers. I was off in the Commando 1D and Commando 2D front CT Stock Armor Stats. I clicked the wrong mech variant when I was gathering data for my graphs. A simple mistake. Stock values did get perfectly doubled from all of my data now.

If you look at your own numbers, I said that a Commando 2D had 8 armor. None of your numbers are "8" in this list of front and back, but while determining your total CT armor you must have added an 8 in. I was only going by front armor, which means the 16 of the 2D front armor is correctly doubled from the TT 2D's 8 armor.

#106 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostTesunie, on 16 August 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Actually, if you would give me time to comment back to you in my other thread instead of following me around

Oh don't flatter yourself.

If you look at your own numbers, I said that a Commando 2D had 8 armor. None of your numbers are "8" in this list of front and back

View Poststjobe, on 16 August 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

[...]

You were saying?

Look, it's not a big deal. You made an error, I pointed it out, you corrected it, it's over. No need to get all defensive about it.

#107 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

View Poststjobe, on 16 August 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Oh don't flatter yourself.

You were saying?

Look, it's not a big deal. You made an error, I pointed it out, you corrected it, it's over. No need to get all defensive about it.

I don't flatter myself, I just noticed your reply here: http://mwomercs.com/...42#entry2660642 and I kinda didn't think you would need to "follow" me with the same information again... I had removed the Commando from my individual charts and substituted in the Spider till I could find where my numbers were off.

As for my reference to the number 8, you should have probably realized that I was referring to the front CT armor of the Commando (from this thread), as it is 8 by TT standards. Thus, I am saying you didn't point out my mistake, though I did appreciate the attempt to help. You also went so far as to mention other variants of the commando, and two of which has 12 armor front CT. Should have probably given away my real problem and misunderstanding of my numbers. Thus, I was not off on referring to max armor over stock armor, nor was I off on conceptualizing the numbers from front and back CT armor.

So, you didn't point out my mistake. You pointed out some other mistake that did not happen. But, as I said, I do appreciate the suggestion of the possible problem. However, you did not have to mention it inside this thread as well as the other thread. Also, if you had understood my problem, you would have just mentioned the 8 armor and the 16 armor (TT6, MWO 12 armor for the 1D), instead of giving me this "he's off from not combining armor and forgetting that stock most times does not have max armor" thing you did. Basically, you would have made my problem even more compounded and confusing through misunderstandings on each side.

#108 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Fine, if it makes you sleep better: I didn't point out any mistake of yours, and I didn't use the right number 8.

Whatever, let's move on :P

#109 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Internal structure is based off the max armor of the mech. If max armor goes up by double, than internal structure goes up as a consequence. The Spider has a Max armor (by smurfy) of 40 for it's CT. I'm presuming that it was exactly doubled, which means in TT it use to be 20. That would make TT IS 10, and MWO IS becomes 20. (IS really is 10 for the spider by TT.)

Actually, if I am correct, if you customized your Spider to have max armor in TT (I do not have the exact rules here), it could survive a single AC20 shot to the CT and have all it's internals there untouched. With it's 8 stock armor, an AC20 shot would kill it (18 total health for front CT). Customized for max armor, it would take two such shots to take down the Spider, TT. MWO, it would take two shots to down a stock Spider (armor 16 + IS 20) with 4 points of damage to spare (TT was 2 points to spare). A maxed armor Spider now needs 2 shots to punch through CT armor, and a third to clear the structure. Still sounds kinda reasonable to me so far...

Basically, CT Health for a Spider:
- TT Stock 18 (8 + 10)
- MWO Stock 36 (16 + 20)
- TT (presumed) max 30 (20 + 10)
- MWO Max 60 (40 + 20)

Using Smurfy A Spider can have a max of 40 armor on the CT, Thats total, so yes 2 AC20 rounds to ruin the Spider's day, The Internal structure defines your total armor per section if MWO is following TT. Thus a Spider would have 10 Structure in the Center Torso... If TT construction rules were followed. I never read if Structure was doubled or not so I cannot say how that has or hasn't changed. :lol:

#110 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 August 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Using Smurfy A Spider can have a max of 40 armor on the CT, Thats total, so yes 2 AC20 rounds to ruin the Spider's day, The Internal structure defines your total armor per section if MWO is following TT. Thus a Spider would have 10 Structure in the Center Torso... If TT construction rules were followed. I never read if Structure was doubled or not so I cannot say how that has or hasn't changed. :lol:

Without going through the forums on a grand search, but I thought I read a post from a dev somewhere (I could be totally mistaken) that said internal structure was half of the max armor of any location. Beyond that, none of the mechlabs can confirm the structure. Maybe a testing ground test is soon in order? I think I might just do that...

#111 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Commando, single med laser hitting it's CT from the front. 7 shots later, dead.
5x7=35

That's a total of 35 damage.

16 armor total.

35-16=19

Max armor possible is 32.
2/32=16

16+16=32

From my tests, a commando's internal structure as of present testing on the testing grounds is doubled just like external armor.

#112 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

Good to know. Thanks! :lol:

#113 Saint Rigid

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

@Tesunie

HOLY TERRA YOU MADE CHARTS THAT'S AWESOME!

The Federated Suns should be proud of you! :lol: I really appreciate the effort and the graphical aide to the conversation.

So the term "Rich Get Richer" has been thrown around in the topic (not my term, not to mention I was not the first one to think of this topic, darn lol). Combined with the provided 'rent' comparison, I think leads us to a new perspective. The idea being the economy of damage. For example, in real life, a gallon of milk costs the same, whether you are rich or poor. But when you are rich you can afford to buy the dairy company and get milk for free. THis is intended to be a bit of a silly example :lol:

WIth the rent example, I think the problem is as such. ROOMMATES:

In TT, Every apartment costs 1000. The Atlas can buy his own apartment, because he makes 1000 a month. The Commando has to get roommates in order to make ends meet. For instance, the commando might find 3 commando buddies to all live in the same apartment, each one contributing their 250 a month, for a grand total of 1000. Alternatively, the original Commando in question might find a single Commando buddy, and a Trebuchet buddy as well, again, adding up to 1000 dollars a month. The Atlas was taking up the same amount of room as 4 mechs in the balancing of a match. MWO does NOT work this way. Every side receives 12 players. Even when weight balancing comes in (which I will get to in a second) you don't have the 4/1 exchange that you did in TT. In order to fight against an Atlas in mwo, you would either need another Atlas, or you would need multiple mechs of a smaller weight class. For instance, An Awesome and a Flea (in theory), should be able to team up and take out an Atlas. Or 5 Fleas (still theoretically lol). The problem is that those 5 Fleas are representative of about 42% of the ENTIRE team, whereas the Atlas is representative of about 8%. So even if the Flease COULD take him down, they would be using an OVERWHELMING amount of force even though they are "balanced" at the same weight. This problem is most noticeable and most prevalent the lighter your mech is. For instance, 2 Hunchbacks fighting against the same Atlas have a much closer degree of "pilot power". About 8% for the Atlas and about 17% for the Hunchbacks. The hunchbacks still require an overwhelming force in order to take down a mech of equivalent weight, but the power-gap is much smaller.

The basic concept would be that by increasing the armor (i.e. "power level") of Mechs on a sliding scale, with the lightest mechs receiving the largest bump, and the heaviest mechs receiving the smallest bump. You could diminish this power gap to make for a smoother game experience. For instance: a hypothetical increase in the armor of the Locust, a bump of 26 percent more armor (from 146 to 184, only 38 armor points, a little more than 1 ton), would change the above scenario to where you would only need 4 Locusts to fight 1 Atlas. The same hypothetical increase to the Commando (38 points of armor, about 21% increase) allows only 3 Commandos to stand up to a single Atlas instead of 4.

This would be a 38 point increase across the board, for every mech (including the Atlas). My suggestion would be to add 6 points of armor to the Right Arm, Right Torso, Left Torso, and Left Arm, with the Center torso receiving an extra 14 points of armor (along with the accompanying increase in Internal Structure). The armor on the Head seems pretty locked in, and the legs have already received a bonus, so I think it is fair and reasonable to leave them out of the loop, so to speak.

[BONUS SECTION] :

Weight balancing. Starting at 20 tons and extending up to 100 tons, there are 17 mech classes. This presents us with an exact Middle of the Road, which just so happens to be 60 tons. Therefore, my suggestion for creating a Goal Weight for mech companies would be to use 60 tons as the 'average' weight of a mech. 12 Players to a team, average weight of 60 tons, works out to 720 metric tons of metallic laser death! :)

HOWEVER! The devs mentioned that they also wanted to institute a MINIMUM weight alongside the maximum weight. Presumably this would be to prevent an entire team of Jenners (pesky little buggers) or Spiders (#1 fear in the entire world... fear of spiders lol). As opposed to a minimum weight as the strict limit, I would instead suggest a maximum Class Limit. So You would only be able to have 4 of the same weight class in any given team of 12. However, in order to bring back the environmental feel of the Mechwarrior Universe, I would allow Medium mechs some extra leeway, with a maximum of 6 mechs per team. So you could have a maximum of 4 Light mechs, maximum 6 Medium mechs, maximum 4 Heavy mechs, or maximum 4 Assault mechs (within your maximum 12 players, of course).

The only thing that I have left to add about the balancing would be the POSSIBLE consideration of changing one or two weights to a different class. This is probably just my strange opinion, but hey, that's why its in the bonus section lol. Like I stated earlier, there are 17 weights of mechs. Which means there are three categories that consist of 4 mech weights, with a single category that has 5 mech weights. The Assault class has 5 weights in it, more than any other. This places a large strain on the 80 ton mech class (I'm looking at you AWESOME). The 80 class is the lightest in its group, but additionally it is at a disadvantage because it is the 5th smallest of it's group, suffering a 20 ton deficit from it's largest competitor, as opposed to the standard 15 tons (Cicada vs. Shadowhawk, for example). It would be POSSIBLE (not likely lol). To slide the 80 ton mechs into the Heavy category. This would then place a similar stress onto 60 ton mechs. The 60 ton mechs, however, already have somewhat of a disadvantage that resembles the 80 ton mechs plight, because they are the absolute middle of the road. My further suggestion would be to place the 60 ton mechs one peg down, into the upper stratospheres of the Medium Class. This places the most "medium" mech in the game, firmly into the medium category. As well as making the most common medium mechs (50 tons) directly into the middle of the middle. Alternately, 60 ton mechs could have their own new class all to themselves, called Super Medium (this is a joke). lol

[/end BONUS SECTION]

@Ollo, your mathematical principles are sound. Very sound actually. You can however, extend this extremism in both directions. Your point about +1000 rounds is both valid and relevant, but it also applies to doubling armor. At a certain point, the doubling of armor creates a very silly combination of armor values. For instance if you took current values, and doubled them again, it would start to seem silly, but if you then doubled them AGAIN, it would be easy to see. A commando would have something like 600 armor. Obviously way too much, but still killable in the course of a match. The Atlas on the other hand, would have something like 2400 armor, which is starting to get to the point where it would take longer than a 15 minute match to kill the thing. Both extremes present a breaking of the practical threshold for each system of increasing longevity through armor. That is why my proposal above uses both. It is a bit of a compromise. Current double armor values are kept, and a small bonus is applied directly on top of it, thus utilizing both systems in an attempt to improve the game in with a balanced approach.

-Cormac

TL DR

Give everyone a bonus 38 points of armor, spread across arms and torso.

#114 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Okay, I figured out an oopsie on my charts (blast me for doing it so late at night). When I did the "add 25 points". I was only working on CT armor. I should have divided 25 by number of parts (quick points instead of well thought out, for the math) and added that smaller amount to the CT. Sorry about that...

Still, I don't feel that double armor is hurting the game. To be fair though, if I could I'd love to test some of these armor values being produced and see how it feels in a couple matches. Who knows, it might feel better. I'd also like to try slower convergence and see how that feels, as well as having weapons recycle every 10 seconds (and MG could be continuous fire like now, but in 10 seconds do a full 2 damage like they would in TT). However, without being able to test it, I'm inclined to want to leave things that work alone and try to fix other things that are known problems. I trust PGI's results after having standard armor before. (I wasn't in the game back then, so I wouldn't know how that felt.)

#115 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostKhobai, on 13 August 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

Doubling of armor is not the problem. Convergence is.

Without convergence there would be no need to even have double armor in the first place.

This is way to simple, part of the problem yes, but it completely forgets the real reason and that is the change to skill based targeting. TT had no size modifiers that i know of. speed, range and trees and stuff not size. when the game was ported armor values needed to be adjusted to fit into the new design space. not just cut and paste.

PGI needed to figure out the relationship between hitting an atlas vs. hitting a commando both running in a strait line perpendicular to a stationary shooter for short, medium and long, extreme ranges for both fast and slow conditions. once a model was built from multiple runs with real gunnery data. that data will show how hard or easy it is to hit based on size and speed interactions/differences and where the mech got hit. That value is then added as a multiplier to effective armor ratings. this base lines 20 and 100 tone mech for beta testing. cut and past game design.

The game needs size/speed specific armor coefficients. as it is the relation ship is a flat linear value based on just tonnage. this MASSIVELY buffs lights relative to TT. and PGI doesn't have a means to tweek survivability unless its across the board. The interaction of speed with size on armor means that you get to pick where on the atlas gets hit and is torso is cored most of the time. where as the light you just hope to hit.

Hit box scaling, mech size and artistic design of the mech should be linked to the armor coefficient.. meaning that all mechs should have the same survivability and we dont get mechs like the awesome and kintaro. if its found that some mechs are suffering from a hit me here complex that its armor coefficient can be adjusted upward where its survivability is similar to others of its weight class....

So yea double armor is not balanced just not in the way that you think. PGI sees things as "the best state ever" so unlikely to get anything changed until 6 months after launch and clan tech arrives.

#116 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostTennex, on 13 August 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

But the atlas will still 1 shot the spider

LOL...did you just say it was possible to one shot a spider? hard to take you seriously...

View PostNatanael Cormac, on 13 August 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Wall of text that basically says "buff light armor, they are too fragile".

Seriously?

#117 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 August 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

That you cannot take an AC20 to the chest in a Spider is spot on.

I see them do it all the time....multiple times in fact. This is why I call the spider the "spider-atlas"...30 ton mech with the armor of an Atlas. So apparently the OP's original idea has already been implemented on the spider...in spades. :)

#118 Saint Rigid

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Just to help offer some insight into my perspective (which is not necessarily TT based, I never played it, though I would be more than willing to give it a shot).
My forum signature is a quote from an earlier thread. I really aligned with the idea that balance in the game was achieved with a series of match ups between weights. The idea that the game was a rock-paper-scissors-lasers kind of trade-off, as opposed to "Assault Class Rules All".

If you are in an Assault Mech or a Heavy Mech YOU SHOULD HAVE A HARD TIME KILLING A SPIDER! Should it be impssoble? ABSOLUTELY NOT! The spider is all kinds of broken, and needs to be fixed. But do not mistake a technical error for balancing mechanics.

Mediums should be the ones killing Lights the most often, with Lights coming in second place, Heavies in a close Third, and Assaults in LAST place when it comes to killing Light mechs. It's not your job to kill lights as a Heavy or an Assault. Heavies should be skirmishing/harassing and Assaults should be avoiding them at all costs (or have a "buddy" to guard their back). Just, please do not complain about how hard Lights are to kill, unless it is your JOB to kill lights (i.e. you are a MEDIUM pilot).

-Cormac

(P.S.- Not intended to be directed at any one person, as I don't know what people pilot, or how their teams are set up. This is just my overall sentiment when it comes to rating "survivability". It is important to remember that survivability is intended to be subjective. Every weight class has it's 'krytonite'.)

#119 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Agreed Cormac. Assaults should have the most problems taking on fast mechs. They are suppose to be inherently slow to react to anything, but when they can, it's gonna hurt. However, on the flip side, they shouldn't be useless against fast mechs and a single fast mech vs an assault shouldn't be able to do more than distract and maybe kill if it's lucky (skilled or good).

Oh, guess why they just bumped up medium mechs reaction speeds. They should now have fewer problems keeping weapons on track of a faster mech. So, mediums should once more be seen as a light hunting force.

Now, if we can get the speed cap removed (which is still there, and has been announced to stay until hit detection can be solved...) then fast mechs will stand an even better chance.

#120 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostNatanael Cormac, on 20 August 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

(P.S.- Not intended to be directed at any one person, as I don't know what people pilot, or how their teams are set up. This is just my overall sentiment when it comes to rating "survivability". It is important to remember that survivability is intended to be subjective. Every weight class has it's 'krytonite'.)

but when building a game you want to start off with a quantitative assessment of survivability. In MWO survivability comes down to armor, size and chance to hit. the sum of your defenses. you invest in them within the mech lab. trade off armor for heat sink, weapons, ammo, speed , AMS Artemus. This got fubared when the game went skill based and base values where not corrected. PGI did a cut and paste. then wonders at how hard it is to balance.

The correct way to balance the interactions between size, speed and armor protection is to build a gunnery range.
yes a gunnery range. This lets you gather real data from a range of players (developers) to see how hard it is to hit a moving target of multiple sizes at short, medium, long, extreme ranges moving at 0-180 degrees to your field of view on a flat field. its a controlled environment so you know how often you hit and importantly where you hit. then you can change up and down movement based on terrain or anything you like and observe the effect on hit to miss ration and hit placement. time to kill, damage needed per kill.

This procedure creates a model with curvature interactions for all factors involved it survivability. it tells you how hard it is to hit a commando vs an atlas. what ranges matter, what speeds mater, if you do hit how easy is it to target a specific location.
once you have this knowledge you can assign mech specific armor coefficients by hit location to create parity across all mechs. you can do this because you have a model that states movement accounted for 80% of the light deference so armor should be 20% the atlas get hit easily big and slow interaction, so 20% of deference is from speed and armor is 80%

Next armor should be normalized, 20 being 1 thus 80 = 4. so the commando has a base armor coefficient of 1 and the atlas armor coefficient is 4 yes that's 4 times the armor per tone then the light. remember how easy it is to hit the atlas at all ranges. remember im using my valuse not valuse from the modle. also this is just a place to start and allows the developers to tune specific mechs it they are suffering from a massive CT like the Awesome and kin-taro.

Since lights get hit all over and the atlas you and pick and choose. frequency of hit then modify the co-factor. if you hit all over the factor is for all locations. if your CT cored 80% of the time then the CT get 80% the co-factor the rest is spreed according to frequency of hit. head should be the lest often hit so it should be 1 for all mech sizes. if your the catapult and people are basically just aiming canter mass that just happens to be your head. frequency of hit will go up and the co-factor will as well. so the catapult heads might have a armor rating of 1.5 * armor assigned. for example 18 point of armor * 1.5 = 27 effective. less head shots deaths due to art design.

For those who think 4 x is too much for the atlas. how much armor do you have on your back. with 4x you can be a real brawler and not worry about rear attackers. in fact your rear armor might have more then some mediums CT.... :P

Double armor is unbalanced because it buffs hard to hit lights disproportionately vs. easy to hit assaults. The game needs mech / location specific armor coefficients.

That is how in my opinion you port TT rules to MWO you cant simply do a cut and paste port. well you could and sadly has been done. but survivability should never be at least initially subjective. i'm all for subjective tweeking later on like during beta. but in alpha you build a gunnery model.

38 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 38 guests, 0 anonymous users