233 replies to this topic

#201 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

View PostAtomicoxen, on 17 August 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

This may not be canon but from a business standpoint the most logical thing to do is allow your players to spend MC to retrofit I.S. chassis with clan tech.

It's not P2W because you can always buy a clan chassis with cbills.

The playing field stays level and PGI generates more revenue.

Fantasy battle tech lore is fun, but MWO is a business first and this makes cents.

Worst idea in the history of the internet.

Nothing personal but this is absolutely wrong on so many levels.

If we do this why not just all go clans and this last year + go ahead and throw it out the window and EVERYONE GO CLANS

Personally I think the clans can go take a flying XXXX at a rolling doughnut.

I play this game for the inner sphere and just like battletech clans just ruin the fun.

I don't want clans, I don't want clan tech.

What is the point of having all the IS stuff if Clan stuff is just better. It's wrong.

#202 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

View Post42and19, on 30 September 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

First thing I am going to do when clan tech comes out is refit my Orion-VA with clan lrms. Know why?
No minimum range.

Yea

NO

MINIMUM

RANGE

You basically have an upgrade to srms that will also lock and track.

You are letting your preconceptions about what Clantech is distort your understanding of the situation. Inner Sphere LRMs were never prevented from damaging an opponent they hit, yet now they do so. Why would Clan LRMs also not suffer this same fault? More than likely, Clan LRM systems will be identical to Inner Sphere systems, but simply weigh less (this was the case with Clan versions of standard equipment, when such equipment was in use).

Do not be an emotional Bandit Caste scrappling who lets their view of a lostech cache blind them to the minefield in front of their 'mech, or you may experience a similar fall from high places after a very violent shock.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 30 September 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#203 42and19

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostJakob Knight, on 30 September 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

You are letting your preconceptions about what Clantech is distort your understanding of the situation. Inner Sphere LRMs were never prevented from damaging an opponent they hit, yet now they do so. Why would Clan LRMs also not suffer this same fault? More than likely, Clan LRM systems will be identical to Inner Sphere systems, but simply weigh less (this was the case with Clan versions of standard equipment, when such equipment was in use).

Do not be an emotional Bandit Caste scrappling who lets their view of a lostech cache blind them to the minefield in front of their 'mech, or you may experience a similar fall from high places after a very violent shock.

So, basically what you are saying is that we shouldn't be talking about clan tech at all because we have absolutely nothing to base any predictions on since we have no clue as to how PGI will handle things.

Sure

My point, was that the OP was basing his entire argument on how certain aspects that gave clans the advantage in TT won't translate to MWO and because of this clans won't be overpowered. However, he was missing some VERY big things.

Also, the last part of you post was silly.

Edited by 42and19, 30 September 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#204 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 30 September 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

Worst idea in the history of the internet.
Nothing personal but this is absolutely wrong on so many levels.
If we do this why not just all go clans and this last year + go ahead and throw it out the window and EVERYONE GO CLANS
Personally I think the clans can go take a flying XXXX at a rolling doughnut.
I play this game for the inner sphere and just like battletech clans just ruin the fun.
I don't want clans, I don't want clan tech.
What is the point of having all the IS stuff if Clan stuff is just better. It's wrong.

Definitely. Lets just skip the clans and go straight to the Dark Ages - AGROMECHS FOR EVERYONE!!!*

(*While supplies last. Void where prohibited. Actual tonnage may vary and results are not typical.)

#205 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

What I find absolutely entertaining about the idea of the Clans (My Sibkin) coming is the cry that "EVERYONE WILL GO CLANS!"...

I find that so amusing because for years since the Clans were introduced in table top. Time and time again the Clans were defeated and the level of ignorance is just stupidly excessive as it shows the one major weakness and strength of the human race being Clan or Free Birth.

Is THAT WE adapt, but only if we WANT to.

There will be those that go Clan (I am of Clan Ghost Bear) and there are those that WILL STAY Inner Sphere. There are those that will go Clan and whine when their expensive mechs and weapons are shot out from under them by a "lesser" Inner Sphere mech, pilot and weapons'
There are those that will cry like the whelps they are as they stay Inner Sphere and that Clan tech is over powered, balancing "Wah, Wah, Wah, Wah...."

Soon my brethren will cleanse the gene pool of the meek.

We of Clan Ghost Bear field Inner Sphere mechs and find them quite effective for dispatching free birth and Clan alike.

#206 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostGuido, on 23 September 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'm not particularly for lore, but I am reading the books and have studied up on the TT a bit for the purposes of having conversations with the people I'm playing a game with. All the Mechwarrior games I've played has allowed cross tech and the ability for IS affiliated pilots to use clan mechs. I stand from that perspective. As such, i agree that PGI will implement the clans however they will.

I believe all the previous MechWarrior games were either Clan on Clan (MW2) or later in the timeline, where Clantech was more adaptable to Inner Sphere equipment.

#207 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 01 October 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

I believe all the previous MechWarrior games were either Clan on Clan (MW2) or later in the timeline, where Clantech was more adaptable to Inner Sphere equipment.

I think the first one wasn't.

#208 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

I keep forgetting about 1st computer game(Crescent Hawk's Inception)... ;)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 01 October 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#209 Guido

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 450 posts
  • LocationOne battlefield or another

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 01 October 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 1 was at the end of the third succession war around 3025
Mechwarrior 2: Mercs started in 3044 and ended in 3052

The rest did start after the clan invasion, or was clan on clan.

#210 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Why The Clans Are Not Gonna Be Overpowered:

Because they are never going to be added into the game.

#211 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

View Postaseth, on 17 August 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

They could also make Clan drops of two stars against three Inner Sphere lances. 10 vs 12.

this is true and a point that i have very often promoted. also interesting recent developments at the release party brian stated that all random battles will be fought for your faction and have an effect on the universe in the grand scheme of things; in other words your team will be comprised of only mechwarriors representing the same faction as you, so this is easily a chance to match 10 vs 12.

#212 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostJess Hazen, on 03 October 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

this is true and a point that i have very often promoted. also interesting recent developments at the release party brian stated that all random battles will be fought for your faction and have an effect on the universe in the grand scheme of things; in other words your team will be comprised of only mechwarriors representing the same faction as you, so this is easily a chance to match 10 vs 12.

Now imagine the queue times to find people all of the same faction...

#213 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostApostal, on 03 October 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Now imagine the queue times to find people all of the same faction...

Well there are quite a few Mailed Fists on the forum an in the drops I see :D

And I will guess that may of the Lone Wolves are actually Clanners waiting to happen. :lol:

#214 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

lol yup.

#215 Vyrago

• PipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

I think we'll see Clan mechs introduced long before the actual clans are a playable faction in CW. All public info regarding clan mechs point to around spring/summer 2014 for release, but even in the CW reveal there was zero mention of how Clans will be treating within the CW meta. Will they be treated like a 'faction' like the Federated Suns, Draconis Combine...etc?

The other possibility is that by christmas we receive a very basic form of CW that doesnt include clans at all, and we spent the next year or so just playing inner sphere wars. I can easily imagine PGI stepping back from clans saying "while it was our original intention to include the clans, it is our view that due to balance issues this is no longer feasible."

TL:DR we tried, we failed, here's a Hollander.

Edited by Vyrago, 04 October 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#216 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

But Vyrago... Light Mechs with a Gauss are OP! :(

#217 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think PGI are in way too deep to tell us no clans at this stage.
it would be a bold and stupid move.

#218 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 October 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

But Vyrago... Light Mechs with a Gauss are OP! :D

Was last time I was allowed a Guass Rifle on a Raven with plenty of ammo... 3 fell to being cored from behind before I went noticed...

They said there will be clans... I think they want to use the IS wars to bug test and balance out the CW system and economy quite heavily. They mentioned in the multi-part interview podcasts that there will be a price to be paid to become a clanner, whether this is CB/EXP wipe, etc and start again with a 'low tier' (aka light) clan mech to earn the rights or equivalent Clan CB's to build up a new stock of mechs.

This way people still have IS chassis they might be allowed to retrofit with clan tech to use as a clanner, and a gated option to prevent the more prominent front line Omni-mechs from flooding the game. I am more interested in the cost of becoming a clanner then the overall balance and feel to the game, as long as it doesn't become lopsided or so grindy to be near unenjoyable.

#219 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

I will take a wipe, although I think a wipe would do little considering the Mechs are not Clan Mechs. Plus it would be a bit of a bad move to make me wipe my stats for my Founders and Hero Mechs that I will take over with me. Clean out my Mech Bay otherwise if needed. As long as I keep the Mechs I PAID for, all is fine. I mean, once Clan Chassis come my Hero, Founders and Phoenix Mechs will mostly just collect dust. :D

#220 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 17 August 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

PGI is great at balancing. Why would the clans be OP?

Well aren't the clans suppose to be OP? That was the whole point of them in the canon. Fighting them off required effective teamwork a la combined arms and smart tactics.

I wonder if PGI will find a way to implement clan rules of engagement?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users