Kintaro Mech - Your Thoughts

92 replies to this topic

#21 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

The Kintaros are the best medium mechs so far except the golden boy.
5Tons more then any other medium mech plus 120kph = best small-mech hunter ever!!!

...but still angry about the fact that the golden boy suck so hard at top speed and pitch... it is the only hero mech that has worse stats compared to its c-bill brothers - shame on the developers!!

#22 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

btw. this is my actual loadout:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3aa84eec6ba71cd

don't worry about the right and left torso, you can lower the armor that far and even beyond!

#23 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

In its current state the kintaro is a suicide box, step in and wait to die. Its the unholy child of a Awesome and a Quickdraw - lightening fast but with the figure of jabba the hutt making them easy to shoot no matter how fast they are going.

That being said once its 'fixed' depending on how fixed it actually becomes (IE not a bandaid fix) it could be the new missile mech of choice for many warriors as its lack of jump jets is offset by its greater speed then other missile mechs. As a bonus, it can hump a friendly spider and probably still fire over them safely, in fact this form of mech **** may be commonplace where a kintaro smuggles a ECM light into its crotch for safety like a penguin atop its chick.

Posted Image
:D

#24 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

Just got my K18 yesterday and still trying out various build.
The 5x LRM5 build is ridiculously funny if you manage to find a target with no AMS, but most of the time the LRMs get chew up mid flight by the target and his teammates.

Switched to a close range support build and seems to be doing better.
KTO-18
3 SSRM2 w 2t
2 SRM6 w 4t
2 MLaz
AMS w 1t
BAP
320 XL
13 DHS
ES
Module: 360 targeting, Info gathering

As always with any medium mech, shadow the team heavy or assault and flank when able.

#25 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostFrytrixa, on 21 August 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

The Kintaros are the best medium mechs so far except the golden boy.
5Tons more then any other medium mech plus 120kph = best small-mech hunter ever!!!

...but still angry about the fact that the golden boy suck so hard at top speed and pitch... it is the only hero mech that has worse stats compared to its c-bill brothers - shame on the developers!!

Naw, your still a walking CT. However, if you can get close you can put alot of damage downrange. I prefer the lrm approach which only the 18 satisfies me! (not buying GB)

#26 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

My GB is mid-range lrm support and my K18 is not bad at anti-light and mid-game harassment. Heavies involved in a fight get real annoyed when a near continuous stream of streaks keeps knocking their aim off target.

#27 Vincian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:26 AM

A Mech without Jumpjets has a higher mobility than a Mech with Jumpjets?

A highly mobile LRM platform might be the Quickdraw - With JJ, TAG, LL and 2x LRM-A

View PostWriath, on 20 August 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Pretty fond of them, they make a better high mobility lrm platform than a treb, if you're fighting at midranges and avoiding attention with a penta lrm 5 build you can do quite well. None of the other good lrm boats can match it's speed/firepower ratio.

#28 Hawks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationFalling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:42 AM

I wouldn't say it's an optimum mech, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Good scout hunter with SSRM, ML and big XL engine.

#29 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 20 August 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Sorry but the mech you made can't do **** against any optimized heavy/assault build at a high level of play. And I do mean it cannot do jack **** whatsoever. You will just get shot twice in the CT and die.

^^ What PEEF said.

Until the CT changes goes in - evaluating this mech in competitive play is pointless.

And no... your 3 matches playing random PUGs isn't indicative of a good mech (PEEF - notice how about this explanation is the same after the past 6 months of explaining high-level competitive play to the masses!?!?! :D )

#30 Varrin Coursca

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMid-Atlantic, USA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

The "CT-aro" is banned from my drop decks. For context, other banished chassis include the Commando (until they let them run faster -- take a Spider if you want to be tiny and annoying), Dragon (big CT, poor hardpoints IMO -- take a Quickderp...or just ton up and take a real Heavy *coughcataphract3dcough*) , and Awesome (shame, because it had champion hardpoints but awful hitboxes -- take a Stalker, which can ridgehump and has bizarrely good hitboxes).

The CT and the chassis overall is too big. I'd rather spend 5 more tons and take a Quickderp or drop 5 tons and take a CN9-A if there's a weight class restriction.

View PostMavRCK, on 22 August 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

And no... your 3 matches playing random PUGs isn't indicative of a good mech

A lot of pilots have a hard time grasping this concept until they start running more 12-mans than 4-mans/PUGs.

#31 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

A great mech? no, not yet. A challenge for a skilled player? Yes, indeedy! Put on your big-boy pants and make a flawed mech into something to be feared... unless you're feeling inadequate to the challenge. 3:)

#32 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostWin Ott, on 22 August 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

A great mech? no, not yet. A challenge for a skilled player? Yes, indeedy! Put on your big-boy pants and make a flawed mech into something to be feared... unless you're feeling inadequate to the challenge. 3:)

That isn't the competitive mindset. Why would I run a Kintaro like a boss and maybe do as well as the average Centurion, when I could run a Centurion and get 600-700 damage a game and actually win my games and be the most important player out there? Nobody is going to fear your Kintaro at a high level of play. I haven't been killed by one yet, and probably won't get killed by one in the next month, or perhaps ever. You could strap on a couple Large Lasers/PPCs and steal some kills, but there are other mechs that are better at that. The Kintaro, as it currently stands, is the worst Medium, and in contention for the worst mech in the game. It does NOTHING that another mech cannot do better. If you want to dominate and win, then leave the Kintaro at home until the CT fix. Then pick the Kintaro up at that point, and see if the CT fix really changed much.

And yes Mav. Things haven't developed in this community apparently.

#33 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

Competition can be in more than one form, Grasshopper. :D

#34 Varrin Coursca

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMid-Atlantic, USA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostWin Ott, on 22 August 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

Competition can be in more than one form, Grasshopper. :D

Competition in this game is

* ...having the discipline to round a corner in an Atlas with your team right on your six knowing you're going to get focused down in about 15 seconds, but still doing 350 damage to the first two 'Mechs you can get your reticule on to enable your team to get set up with clear firing lanes or in brawling positions and--in 2 minutes--win 12-1.

* ...winning your trades in a jump sniping contest at 600+ meters against equally good--if not better--shots while the rest of your team sets up to flank and push or countersnipe from a different vantage point.

* ...is having the right 'Mech chassis for the composition your team is running and doing whatever is needed to that chassis to ensure you and it are doing what needs to be done to win.

These are the different forms of competition in this game. The Kintaro--as it exists now--does not fit any of those adequately. It will crumble in about 3-4 seconds--if that--against good 12-man focus fire because its CT is so large. It does not adequately stack up in equipping PPCs and cannot equip Gauss or Jump Jets. It also cannot match the zombie capability of the CN9-A or the (new 275 Engine equipped...*w00t*) HBK-4SP because it is so XL Engine dependent.

It just is not going to work as the game stands. 55 tonners like this will be handy when tonnage restrictions come into the game, when they fix the awful CT on this chassis, and when the metagame becomes more balanced.

Edited by Varrin Coursca, 22 August 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#35 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

There were some fun light hunter builds in this thread. I like the K19 as a potential light hunter with 3 arm mounted MPLs and 3 SSRM2s.

#36 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 21 August 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

In its current state the kintaro is a suicide box, step in and wait to die. Its the unholy child of a Awesome and a Quickdraw - lightening fast but with the figure of jabba the hutt making them easy to shoot no matter how fast they are going.

That being said once its 'fixed' depending on how fixed it actually becomes (IE not a bandaid fix) it could be the new missile mech of choice for many warriors as its lack of jump jets is offset by its greater speed then other missile mechs. As a bonus, it can hump a friendly spider and probably still fire over them safely, in fact this form of mech **** may be commonplace where a kintaro smuggles a ECM light into its crotch for safety like a penguin atop its chick.

Posted Image
B)

This post has awakened me from my slumber.

#37 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

View Postigavemymomkoolaid, on 20 August 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

If you own the Kintaro mech, what are your thoughts? Is it a well balanced mech? Did you find severe weak spots? What are the strong points?

Thanks in advance.

My thoughts?

"WHOOOOHOOO! FREE C BILLS!!!!"

#38 Davila Sombre

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 71 posts
  • LocationKrasnogorsk

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

Kintaro is a mistake. With this size and huge CT hitbox, this mech dies quickly.

#39 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

Kintro is not a 12 v 12 mech currently, I agree. However, it could be one depending on the sept 3rd changes. That said, still it does do something no current mech can. Spam 5 lrm5 with an erppc as a backup snip wep. So PEEF, I guess I got you there.

#40 Batch1972

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm currently leveling 2 kintaro's, 1 with 1 ER PPC & 5 SSRM2, the other with 2 ER PPC's and 2 MLasers. It's hard going. The CT hit box is so broken it's not funny. I'd strongly advise not using them until that is fixed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users