#161 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 09 September 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Thom's having internet trouble at the moment, but I believe his opinion is a solid no for your return Kevin. You have flaked out of every RP you've joined to date with no warning and we're trying to avoid that here. Try joining one of the other RPs and sticking around and he might change his mind :)

Having internet trouble at the moment? Nice way to put it. And it never ceases to amaze me when my words come out of your mouth....

Just like my minion here said, Kevin it's a solid no for right now. I think you're a damned good writer, and you're post always entertain or make me laugh. But your participation is rather hit and miss on the forums. Sorry friend. But have no fear, I hear that the War Orphan RPG is maybe accepting apps.

@DAL I never even heard of that thing till Kevin mentioned it in the OG L&D, my long absent co-GM, Gozer, was more excited about it from what I recall. Personally I kinda frown upon anything that isn't in TRO3025.

#162 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

that is because they are literally assembled by hand by a really small company.

#163 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Wolf, if you don't mind, I think I see what the problem is with your character.

"Yeah, but I mean at his core, he's broken. He has no real reason to be here."

He had taken them in fulfulling the last wishes of the lone mech pilot that gave his life. . .

. . . he was transferred over to the 7th Kommando, and put on a special assignment. . .

The Dragoons had taken major losses after the conflicts between them and the DC. Dylan himself had heard of the encounters, however, were some of the first reinforcements for the Dragoons from outside of the periphery. As a test, and after several encounters on the periphery to test the warrior's mettle, Dylan was sent to Solaris, to discern whether members of the Sphere could be considered capable for recruitment into the Dragoons.

Dylan was to do this by studying his fellow stable members. . .

The reason the 7th Kommando wanted this information. . .

As such, they knew they couldn't wait for reinforcements from the Clans for much longer, and from the hearsay passing along through the lines from home communique, it seemed like the Dragoons might actually be faced with recruiting from the Inner Sphere alone. As such, Dylan was given a crash course in field work by the 7th to insure that he didn't get himself killed, and to properly note his stablemates' habits.

When they arrived to Solaris, they began their search for a stable that matched what they wanted. . .

And so, they found Rainbow stables and placed Dylan there. . .

. . .is still receiving updates on Draco's training, which from what he's heard, is progressing well. He is also on the lookout for kids that show traits that he's looking for to start a unit up with the Dragoons, the 1st Hell Jumpers battalion. . .

With several candidates already sent to command for integration into sibkos. . .

That character sheet reads more like a mission brief than a biography and background Wolf. It's almost like you're trying to play the Dragoons instead of Dylan. Tell us what Dylan wants. Tell us what Dylan thinks. Why did Dylan come to Solaris. What does Dylan think about the Games?

Background is just a place to start, but you're letting Dylan get crushed by his. I'd like to see you back away from the Dragoons and bring the character to the front in L&D Chapter 2.

#164 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'd honestly drop the 7th Commando and Hell Jumpers links. Now I don't know much about the WD at all, they just don't interest me too much, but 7th Commando seems like too much of a super secret, super elite unit to pick someone to go on a low level recruiting job. The Hell Jumpers are your own headcanon unit and I get that, but if he's founding a new battalion then why is he being sent off into complete isolation where he can't do any of the administration work required to found a battalion?

#165 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 10 September 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Having internet trouble at the moment? Nice way to put it. And it never ceases to amaze me when my words come out of your mouth....

Just like my minion here said, Kevin it's a solid no for right now. I think you're a damned good writer, and you're post always entertain or make me laugh. But your participation is rather hit and miss on the forums. Sorry friend. But have no fear, I hear that the War Orphan RPG is maybe accepting apps.

@DAL I never even heard of that thing till Kevin mentioned it in the OG L&D, my long absent co-GM, Gozer, was more excited about it from what I recall. Personally I kinda frown upon anything that isn't in TRO3025.

While that is disappointing I understand completely. I do tend to be in spurts, but also the timeline moving a bit slow for my tastes made it a bit tedious, although i am not without fault in that regard as well.

#166 Xetherius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 08 September 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

Good job placing that link for the Dragoons. But alas, while we're not full per se. I gotta say no on thge grounds that I do not want to say 'Yes' and never hear from you again. That was something that happened way too many times in the OG L&D. Super-Sorry man, but it looks like Mr. Murphey is accepting aps...

Oh yeah, @Dal You could always have your character start off by arriving on planet from New Syrtis or wherever, and you're having issues getting your Enforcer through customs. Erin has flunkies working the custom area. But you may have to wing your character finding housing and a place to store your Enforcer and maybe get a unofficial match under your belt before Von Bremen makes contact with you.

Darn, went all research mode yesterday and came up with a character before checking back, but I understand where you're coming from and I'm cool with it. I'll still be reading Act II though Thom so it better be good! :)

Also, thank's for the tip Sparks, I'll keep an eye out for them opening it up, and if I do I can probably just tweak this character so all's well that ends well.

#167 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

first post is up, whatcha guys think?

#168 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Not too bad considering it's your opening post. Something tells me that 'Bob' isn't all what he seems to be.

As to the purse, I'm kind of in he same boat. I've been kicking around ideas on what should be the purse for the 'Vita-Orange presents Friday night at the Fights!' I was thinking of a sponsorship deal and a humble cash purse, but can't settle on a number that'd be fair, IMO. Initially I was thinking of 1mil but was thinking that'd be too small for a promoted Class One match. 10mil? too big for a lightweight bout, especially in 3031. 5mil seems at a nice cross roads, especially considering Rainbow is going to take 20% right off the top, then taxes, repair cost... I'm expecting 'One-Eye' to be pretty shot up.

Going to be rolling out the bout during my next TT section.

Oh yeah and I'm open to suggestions on what the purse should be.

#169 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

why are you a drac now? also, class one are the lowest of matches, with the smallest arenas and the newest pilots. class 6 are the boreal reach, colosseum and the like. i don't think that a big sports drink company would sponsor something unknown like a class one arena. but that is just my thoughts.

also, considering how big the games are cash wise, it would not be surprising for there to be people like bob who would try and scoop up pilots right as they got to solaris. even if only 1/10 do well, you would probably make money because they would have long odds at the betting table due to the fact that they are unknown. If they have 1:35 odds at the table and you put down 100k, you just paid for everything right there.

hell, i wouldn't be surprised if he paid the receptionist and her boss to cause takeo this trouble just so he could save the day, hint hint... hint hint...

Edited by dal10, 11 September 2013 - 04:49 AM.

#170 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

View Postdal10, on 11 September 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

why are you a drac now? also, class one are the lowest of matches, with the smallest arenas and the newest pilots. class 6 are the boreal reach, colosseum and the like. i don't think that a big sports drink company would sponsor something unknown like a class one arena. but that is just my thoughts.

also, considering how big the games are cash wise, it would not be surprising for there to be people like bob who would try and scoop up pilots right as they got to solaris. even if only 1/10 do well, you would probably make money because they would have long odds at the betting table due to the fact that they are unknown. If they have 1:35 odds at the table and you put down 100k, you just paid for everything right there.

hell, i wouldn't be surprised if he paid the receptionist and her boss to cause takeo this trouble just so he could save the day, hint hint... hint hint...

In my sleep deprived defense I got the Classes mixed up.

Only using this Icon to stand out, between you and Gamma. It's hard to scroll through the postings and quick find my post by allegiance alone.

I like Bob's shadiness. *Tosses Dal a cookie.*

#171 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

i liek cookies. and mudkipz. Also, i might not follow the current flow of time until i get to the point where i may hook up with you guys in game. hope that won't be an issue, if it is then i am going to have to wait to write anymore. (i already got the next section half written, which would advance my characters personal time up to the next morning.)

also, by not following, i was going to go ahead by like 2 days. say the tourney is the next day, and it lasts all of that day and has the last 2 rounds on the day after to give some time to repair. then i would wait for you guys to advance that far, however long that takes.

Edited by dal10, 11 September 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#172 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

That's fair enough. Though when it comes to tournies its usually a week long afair with no breaks from one day to the other... So it turns into an endurance contest more than anything else.

#173 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 11 September 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

That's fair enough. Though when it comes to tournies its usually a week long afair with no breaks from one day to the other... So it turns into an endurance contest more than anything else.

maybe for the larger ones. some smaller ones probably also exist on the lower levels of the games. particularly since this one only has 32 pilots, and round robin doesn't work with fighting mechs.

#174 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

Well I'm not sure what Round Robin means, but consider that mechs take days to repair all but the most superficial of damage. While you could do a low level chess tournament in an afternoon, even playing 24 man tournaments of Warhammer 40,000 take all weekend.
By the time you're repairing battlemechs, I'd be amazed if a tournament of 32 took less than a week.
Though I have to admit, I completely missed where the discussion of a tournament came up. I just saw the debate appear. Did I miss an RP post or something?

#175 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 11 September 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

Well I'm not sure what Round Robin means, but consider that mechs take days to repair all but the most superficial of damage. While you could do a low level chess tournament in an afternoon, even playing 24 man tournaments of Warhammer 40,000 take all weekend.
By the time you're repairing battlemechs, I'd be amazed if a tournament of 32 took less than a week.
Though I have to admit, I completely missed where the discussion of a tournament came up. I just saw the debate appear. Did I miss an RP post or something?

http://en.wikipedia....obin_tournament

Everyone fights everyone, one at a time, in order. Works fine for football, where each team's abilities are effectively (barring things like injuries and red cards) reset each match, much harder for 'Mechs where someone probably has an inoperable 'Mech at the end of a fight. Multiply that by 31 matches, and once you've made your way through it all you've rebuilt almost 500 'Mechs from ruin. If it were that possible, the Succession Wars wouldn't have been such a thing.

#176 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 11 September 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

partially, i mentioned a small tourney in my first post. Also, mechs weren't going to be fully repaired between matches. basically the techs were going to weld as many armor plates as they could back onto the mech between fights. If a pilot thought that their mech was too damaged to fight in the next round, they would withdraw to save what is left of their mech.

#177 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

View Postdal10, on 12 September 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

partially, i mentioned a small tourney in my first post. Also, mechs weren't going to be fully repaired between matches. basically the techs were going to weld as many armor plates as they could back onto the mech between fights. If a pilot thought that their mech was too damaged to fight in the next round, they would withdraw to save what is left of their mech.

Elimination status just like the 'March Madness' tourney. Your first fight begins at 6pm and if you win, you fight again at 6pm the next day.... so 32 to 16, to 8, to 4, to 2, to the victor...

#178 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 12 September 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Elimination status just like the 'March Madness' tourney. Your first fight begins at 6pm and if you win, you fight again at 6pm the next day.... so 32 to 16, to 8, to 4, to 2, to the victor...

Dammit, Thom, now I know how it's going to end. Though an 80 ton assault 'Mech in a pool of mediums isn't hard to spot as the potential winner...

#179 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

Sorry about the outburst, I'm under a lot of pressure as of late.

Edited by guardian wolf, 13 September 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#180 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Yes GW?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users