L&d: Act Ii, Rainbow Rising Rp Ooc

Fiction

447 replies to this topic

#401 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, that's fair enough, it would be more strange if characters were actually objective (and rational, despite what economists like to sometimes believe people are rarely rational).

#402 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostThe True Space Pope, on 05 June 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

Yeah, that's fair enough, it would be more strange if characters were actually objective (and rational, despite what economists like to sometimes believe people are rarely rational).

Yeah, I didn't elaborate on a lot of Hallison's personality because I wanted his bias' and other seemingly normal things from a FWL veteran to be revealed as pretty abnormal/scummy/obsessive and human. Wanted to make a character who embraced his bad qualities with the jaded-but-critical lense that, 'well technically everyone is sort've a *******, look at the ratio of goodness to evil in every group and decide for yourself who is less of a *******'.

#403 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:49 PM

The Gladiator ceased production in 2495, it's 3031 in our timeline. So there hasn't been a new Gladiator made in 536 years with the last existing Gladiators being destroyed during the Reunification War. The boys will tell you, I don't mind digging up old mechs - I brought a Helepolis to a clan invasion RP. But grabbing one out the factory they were made at half a millenia before isn't a viable acquisition.
As for Lostech, I was actually referring to the Ultra Autocannon 5, which has been extinct in the Inner Sphere for 116 years. Some stuff I've read indicates Comstar still has them as well as a few artifacts in the top secret, Open-On-Doomsday arsenals of the Great Houses. Thom's not allowing us to start with any. I've had a subplot I've worked on with Thom over the last HOLY SH*T THREE YEARS we've been running the RP to get myself an LBX-10, but I don't have that yet even...and it while it will be a totally intact and working weapon...it won't have any ammo when I get it. Again, Thom's pretty lenient and will let you have the shiny toys if you earn them, but if it isn't widespread at that year in the canon there is no option to start with it. If we're still using the starting limits as well, there is no option to begin in a mech heavier than 55 tonnes either.

Forgive the brevity of my last comment, I'm in the middle of deadline season and didn't mean for it to come off as snappy as it did. There's a lot to Hallison, which sets me on edge. We've a couple larger than life characters already in and they've run the gauntlet of all the other larger than life morons we've had which have included such wonderful Mary Sues as a freebirth Clan Wolf *** Wolf Dragoon Captain working for WolfNet with two adopted IS freebirth teenage sons who started their training just last month and are already beating the best warriors in the Wolf Dragoons in the sims. Oh and did we mention there were unspecified assassins looking to kill him and blowing up the Stable we're all working at?
The TL, DR; is we've had some real special types in the RP and we get worried when we see a writer we don't know coming in asking for mechs outside the common, even mentioning the clans in passing (shudder), etc trying to join in the middle of the RP.
So tired/stressed Rogue had a little panic attack.

We're happy to work with anyone, but there's definitely some questions that need answered about Hallison before we'd be comfortable having you on board with him. The biggest is:

Why on Earth is he on Solaris? He's an accomplished mechwarrior with a not insignificant record, surviving vanguard actions for well over a decade (or two?), piloting several mechs of multiple roles and weight categories, serving for some time in a mech corp...So why Solaris? Remember mechs cost millions, if all he wants is money and to settle down selling a mech - especially a unique, 500+ year old one - would happily see him living a life of comfort and excess until the end of his days. He's seen real war, why does he want to play at it? Etc.

Which leads neatly to: What are your goals and objectives? What kind of story do you want to tell? How does Hallison fit into the group dynamic we have going?

And of course just to double check, you have read the second act up to date? Reading the first act would also be great but frankly as I mentioned above there is an awful lot of utter garbage in that thread that just appears and disappears at random so I don't think any of us that suffered through it would have any complaints if you just can't quite muster the will Posted Image

#404 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 05 June 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

The Gladiator ceased production in 2495, it's 3031 in our timeline. So there hasn't been a new Gladiator made in 536 years with the last existing Gladiators being destroyed during the Reunification War. The boys will tell you, I don't mind digging up old mechs - I brought a Helepolis to a clan invasion RP. But grabbing one out the factory they were made at half a millenia before isn't a viable acquisition.
As for Lostech, I was actually referring to the Ultra Autocannon 5, which has been extinct in the Inner Sphere for 116 years. Some stuff I've read indicates Comstar still has them as well as a few artifacts in the top secret, Open-On-Doomsday arsenals of the Great Houses. Thom's not allowing us to start with any. I've had a subplot I've worked on with Thom over the last HOLY SH*T THREE YEARS we've been running the RP to get myself an LBX-10, but I don't have that yet even...and it while it will be a totally intact and working weapon...it won't have any ammo when I get it. Again, Thom's pretty lenient and will let you have the shiny toys if you earn them, but if it isn't widespread at that year in the canon there is no option to start with it. If we're still using the starting limits as well, there is no option to begin in a mech heavier than 55 tonnes either.

And of course just to double check, you have read the second act up to date? Reading the first act would also be great but frankly as I mentioned above there is an awful lot of utter garbage in that thread that just appears and disappears at random so I don't think any of us that suffered through it would have any complaints if you just can't quite muster the will Posted Image

Oh-- see I was assuming this factory-- http://www.sarna.net...ustries#Son_Hoa was still producing gladiators due to a Starcorps facility repeatedly updating the thing-- an assumption that made canonical sense to myself because of a former Starcorps factory existing on Fletcher, and Keller's Devil Brigade which only has details for 3070, says it was formed decades earlier, which put it in possible 3020-3030 territory. I assumed Hallison would have grown up in the shadow of a heavy Starcorps presence, could have learned about the gladiators being produced on Son Hoa by basically just checking the news on his homeworld. Also I believe the gladiator is exactly 55 tons.

Don't get me wrong I'm up for changing it up, I just personally liked the gladiator.

I did make a mistake with the UAC which was supposed to be labeled Auto-canon 5, the 'U' was just a slipup on my part.

To further clarify, Hallison has only really had experience with medium and heavy mechs, he's never really used lighter mechs before, and he's only sat in an assault mech once.

Finally, while Hallison doesn't have an insignificant record, it's not as though anyone has heard of him, his renown in Marik's 4th was just that, renown among soldiers, once he left it's not as though folks were talking about him for a long time, he was a bright flame that burnt out quickly after that long a period of service. He wasn't fielded in vanguard positions for being nice, and he certainly enjoyed the gloating and fame that was generated with his repeated success.

His repeated attempts to sojourn into the mercenary life went well at first, but it wasn't a lifestyle that he could sustain for long due to his decaying sense of responsibility, whatever funds he made he squandered on worthless instant gratification-- this decay also led to his drunkness, infighting, womanizing, drug abuse, and eventually landing him on his *** out of two fairly unknown mercenary companies, Moores (which already had really low standards) and Leslie's Lancers, which he started out pretty well in, all things considered.

His ego is what drives him, and while he enjoyed his pseudo-fame in the 4th he'd really prefer to be known by most as the venerated, powerful, nigh indestructible golden mechwarrior, he wants to be the kind of legend he had learned so much about growing up, infact his ego, and his general narcissism and unending urge to be better then everyone else, is likely what would drive him to Solaris towards the very end of his downward spiral into bankruptcy (because of his own declining performance due to the sort of thrill-seeking/instant gratification ******** that got him there ironically) not because he had heard so much about it, but because it was the last place he could possibly gain that sort of fame, or infamy, since his own self-destructive behavior had dropped him so low.

(I hope this makes sense, in my mind Hallison was once a somewhat ideological soldier turned bitter, turned scumbag, drug addict, drunkard, turned mercenary, turned mercenary failure, finally now on Solaris with nothing but his partially ruined gladiator and a semi-permanent hotel room. I wanted to write a story about him cleaning up his act, or at least attempting to, and in turn perhaps achieving some of that lusted-after fame he's wanted so badly.)

Edited by DNI Operator, 05 June 2016 - 09:02 PM.

#405 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:31 AM

And I'm going to read both threads tonight, work has kept me occupied.

#406 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:14 AM

View PostDNI Operator, on 05 June 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Oh-- see I was assuming this factory-- http://www.sarna.net...ustries#Son_Hoa was still producing gladiators due to a Starcorps facility repeatedly updating the thing-- an assumption that made canonical sense to myself because of a former Starcorps factory existing on Fletcher, and Keller's Devil Brigade which only has details for 3070, says it was formed decades earlier, which put it in possible 3020-3030 territory. I assumed Hallison would have grown up in the shadow of a heavy Starcorps presence, could have learned about the gladiators being produced on Son Hoa by basically just checking the news on his homeworld. Also I believe the gladiator is exactly 55 tons.

Don't get me wrong I'm up for changing it up, I just personally liked the gladiator.

After some research on Sarna.net, it seems that the StarCorps factory on Son Hoa produced Highlanders and Emperors until some time in the Second Succession War, when it was nuked by House Marik. They continued cobbling together Highlanders from broken old Highlanders until the 3030s, when ComStar helped them rebuild and they began producing new Highlanders at the rate of "barely a dozen new 'Mechs per year". The Emperor would return to production in 3057 (along with full production of the Highlander), the Warhammer -8S and -9S in 3067, the Wight in 3068, and sometime between then and 3075, the Gladiator.

So where was the Gladiator produced before that? Originally, it was the Draconis Combine's first ever BattleMech, built on New Samarkand by New Samarkand Armor Works (who would become Luthien Armor Works) as the GLD-1R and GLD-2R models between 2468 and 2488, when it was disgracefully retired after its defeat at the first ever full-scale 'Mech versus 'Mechs battle. Merryweather Industries in the Terran Hegemony produced the design as the GLD-3R and GLD-4R between 2490 and 2495, though a increasing debt forced them to abandon the -4R production run part way through and turn to IndustrialMechs instead. It wasn't until over 500 years later that production of the Gladiator resumed at Son Hoa.

So, as of 3031, the chances of someone having a functioning 500 year old war machine known for having substandard parts (relative to most things built since then, at least) would seem slim.

It's not all doom and gloom, though. Although not technically canon, BattleTechnology mentions that around 150 Gladiator GLD-3Rs (the Merryweather variant with LRMs) were estimated to be around as of February 3028, most of which were hybrids of the original design and whatever the owners could get their hands on to keep it running. So they are around, but with parts that are a logistical nightmare unless you're a sole pilot who is already having to jury-rig anyway, and with a bad rep that regular units aren't going to like... yeah, I could see this being potentially the 'Mech of a down-on-his-luck merc.

Aside from the oddness of the Gladiator, the rest of it works for me. I think you've just triggered Rogue's Mary Sue senses with reference to the Clans, which is more about previous people abusing the Clans in the past rather than anything on your part.

PS: I spent an hour researching this (I know, I'm a nerd) only to have Windows 10 interrupt me with a little pop-up window from the misnamed "Action" Centre asking how likely I'd be to recommend Windows 10. I was unable to reply there as said pop-up immediately crashed the entire Windows user interface, leaving me with no choice but to close Chrome without posting my mostly completed post here. As I couldn't reply to Microsoft there, I'll have to do it here: VERY UNLIKELY. Posted Image

#407 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:06 AM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 06 June 2016 - 05:14 AM, said:

It's not all doom and gloom, though. Although not technically canon, BattleTechnology mentions that around 150 Gladiator GLD-3Rs (the Merryweather variant with LRMs) were estimated to be around as of February 3028, most of which were hybrids of the original design and whatever the owners could get their hands on to keep it running. So they are around, but with parts that are a logistical nightmare unless you're a sole pilot who is already having to jury-rig anyway, and with a bad rep that regular units aren't going to like... yeah, I could see this being potentially the 'Mech of a down-on-his-luck merc.

Aside from the oddness of the Gladiator, the rest of it works for me. I think you've just triggered Rogue's Mary Sue senses with reference to the Clans, which is more about previous people abusing the Clans in the past rather than anything on your part.

PS: I spent an hour researching this (I know, I'm a nerd) only to have Windows 10 interrupt me with a little pop-up window from the misnamed "Action" Centre asking how likely I'd be to recommend Windows 10. I was unable to reply there as said pop-up immediately crashed the entire Windows user interface, leaving me with no choice but to close Chrome without posting my mostly completed post here. As I couldn't reply to Microsoft there, I'll have to do it here: VERY UNLIKELY. Posted Image

Thank you for the research my friendo-- I can understand that anyone would be jumpy with me referencing the clans, but don't get me wrong, I understand how writing clanners is-- and it's not terribly fun with the experience I've got.It can be a blast, but in the context you guys have been referring too, it sounds like everyone who has in your particular writings has used it for mere powercreep. Aka, so they could 'win'.

And that-- makes me incredibly, incredibly sad, since some of the best stories I've read, short ones, fan ones, make clanners out as just as human, and just fallible, as IS pilots in personality and skill, regardless of pedigree, regardless of engineering, regardless of warrior, honorbound society, and those are the stories in my opinion that are the best.

Shame the majority of clanner oriented experiences you guys have had have been relatively shite.

But-- Clans aside, Hallison wouldn't see the SLDF and Clans as the same thing, so when I referenced the SLDF in his bio, I meant exactly that, it wasn't an indirect reference to the clans it's a abhorrent obsession with them he has.

And yeah, Windows 10 has been trying to worm it's way onto my computer for the better part of a year.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Edited by DNI Operator, 07 June 2016 - 02:07 AM.

#408 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:34 AM

I've had Windows 10 for over half a year, I've had very few issues with it - and all of those have been issues I had with other versions of Windows anyway. There were some privacy concerns but bizarrely I actually trust Microsoft - turning them off was effectively disabled in beta so they could retrieve data about how it was performing but it is fully able to be shut down now. The most notable benefit is how streamlined it is - my old laptop used to have a boot time of just shy of 5 minutes on W7. Without replacing any hardware/programs/etc except for a W10 upgrade, the boot time dropped to just under a minute.
So I'm a rare but happy customer. As usual with major Windows updates, it got a bad name when it came out especially amongst the gaming community because new drivers weren't available yet, but I waited the 6 month window and they're all there and it's working great :)

The clanners we had weren't using it for power creep per se, they were just from the Donald Trump school of describing their creations. Can't invent a character with flaws, has to just be so amazing...But they lacked the cahones to actually write such an epic personage.

#409 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

SO WAIT CAN I POST IN IC?

I promise I'm not impatient, it's just my day off today.

Edited by DNI Operator, 07 June 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#410 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

Work on a post if you like, but do not post before receiving official confirmation from Thom. He's busy at the moment and hasn't had time to read your bio or replies, but I mentioned the original to him.

#411 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

And by the grace of god I have today and the next day off, I assume Thom is busy AF, will check this thread for replies every hour or so.

#412 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

If you go to the top of the page you can follow the topic and just get an email when there's a reply instead.

#413 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

Yeah RL responsibilities were being a nuisance for awhile there, but I'm back for now. And I really don't see myself getting dispatched out to work for the next month or so, so I'm going to be around. Whether I get around to checking things on here remains to be seen though... Got an Xbox-One as an early Father's Day gift so I'm fiddling around with that.

DNI... I'm not sure I followed the SLDF angle for your character, is he just a SLDF fanboi, or revere it? As previously mentioned, we are all burned out when it comes to vat-brats in general. In fact IMO there was only one good RP with RP with Clanners as characters in it, and that was because all the characters were Clan. That reminds me, my Steel Viper character is out there somewhere... Posted Image

The Gladiator... I'm not a fan of AoW equipment. Not because of anything against those designs other than they just being 'new' to me. I really need to read up on that stuff.

So if you're set on using the Gladiator, write up something that'd justify it. Give it some character quirks that'd make it stand out as the cobbled together POS that it would be..

Otherwise, welcome aboard.

Though as Sarna-Guru-Sparky mentioned, a shot up, poor excuse, of a Gladiator is a possibility

#414 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:06 AM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 11 June 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

Yeah RL responsibilities were being a nuisance for awhile there, but I'm back for now. And I really don't see myself getting dispatched out to work for the next month or so, so I'm going to be around. Whether I get around to checking things on here remains to be seen though... Got an Xbox-One as an early Father's Day gift so I'm fiddling around with that.

DNI... I'm not sure I followed the SLDF angle for your character, is he just a SLDF fanboi, or revere it? As previously mentioned, we are all burned out when it comes to vat-brats in general. In fact IMO there was only one good RP with RP with Clanners as characters in it, and that was because all the characters were Clan. That reminds me, my Steel Viper character is out there somewhere... Posted Image

The Gladiator... I'm not a fan of AoW equipment. Not because of anything against those designs other than they just being 'new' to me. I really need to read up on that stuff.

So if you're set on using the Gladiator, write up something that'd justify it. Give it some character quirks that'd make it stand out as the cobbled together POS that it would be..

Otherwise, welcome aboard.

Though as Sarna-Guru-Sparky mentioned, a shot up, poor excuse, of a Gladiator is a possibility

He is descended from terran reconstruction SLDF personnel.
Though his parents don't really care to mention nor use it in any way, mainly because their parents never really talked about it, he isn't apart of any secret organizations or anything he's just yeah, a fanboy of the old SLDF, he reveres their work on Terra, and he highly respects the authority they used to be, but he doesn't talk about it because it's his guilty pleasure and sort of a soft-spot in his personality, having what he considers heroes.

Not gonna spoil anymore lest we get to a point in the timeline where the clans are mentioned or some BS, so I can actually have some character development, though you can rest assured I'm aware of the edge/mary-sueness that is associated with clanners, and sometimes clanner associates, but that ain't me homie.

And yeah! If you're allowing me to use a gladiator I can totally jury-rig some stuff to make it out as a fairly unique cobbled together franken-esque mech retaining a lot of original gladiator parts, but using newer weapons or actuators, or parts from other mechs to supplement the fact that no replacement parts exist, bits and bobs. Cobbled together basically--

Which I'll do tomorrow, since I gotta hit the hay this instant, or I'm gonna get very little sleep.

Edited by DNI Operator, 12 June 2016 - 03:06 AM.

#415 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

Alright so--
Posted Image

Here is the gladiator I wanted to use, standard weapons on everything including the PPC, except that the left arm has been swapped out with a Archer (ARC-2W) arm, as it was the only thing that could fit when it was removed in combat, so it's a tad longer, and completely different, it also hasn't been painted the flashy gold the rest of the mech has been.

The right foot was taken from a Icarus II, it's almost exactly the right size, but it's very obviously not the same foot. It too, is also not painted the flashy gold the rest of the mech is.

The cockpit windscreen has also been restructured to be somewhat octagonal in shape, since the original had been blown out.

Sorry about the wait! Work has kept me super busy.

Edited by DNI Operator, 14 June 2016 - 01:17 AM.

#416 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

http://www.sarna.net...i/Snub-Nose_PPC

The snub nose PPC is not invented for another 36 years.

The -3R has 2 medium lasers and 2 LRM10s btw. You're getting the stats of the -4R confused I believe. Not that it couldn't be given a PPC ofc, but Thom and the guys adhere to tabletop rules - you'd need to download Solaris Skunkwerks and manually rework it to suit.

Edited by RogueSpear, 13 June 2016 - 10:57 PM.

#417 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:21 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 13 June 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

http://www.sarna.net...i/Snub-Nose_PPC

The snub nose PPC is not invented for another 36 years.

The -3R has 2 medium lasers and 2 LRM10s btw. You're getting the stats of the -4R confused I believe. Not that it couldn't be given a PPC ofc, but Thom and the guys adhere to tabletop rules - you'd need to download Solaris Skunkwerks and manually rework it to suit.

Fixed, and I haven't had skunkwerks on my computer for like, three years but--
Guess now is a good time.

#418 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:03 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 13 June 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

Not that it couldn't be given a PPC ofc, but Thom and the guys adhere to tabletop rules - you'd need to download Solaris Skunkwerks and manually rework it to suit.

Like that guy who brought in the Jenner with the quad AC2's and the SRM4? *pinches the bridge of his nose.*

#419 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

Yeah, was real fun reading a bio for a mech half the weight of my own with the same armour and firepower at twice the speed and packing an SRM4...

#420 Ezra Grimani

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:50 AM

Alright!

Looks like it's gonna be--
  • 1x PPC Under left arm.
  • 1x SRM-6 on right shoulder.
  • 2x Medium Lasers mounted in chest.
At-- BV (2.0) 1,290, with 13 heatsinks.

With 12 tons of standard armor,