Forums Very Slow...

Answered

52 replies to this topic

#21 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:34 AM

I use NoScript with no social media allowed to run scripts. it still slows down regularly, especially around 10am GMT.

#22 sporesp4wn

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostJestun, on 05 September 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

I use NoScript with no social media allowed to run scripts. it still slows down regularly, especially around 10am GMT.

Thanks for the NoScript tip, the website loads even faster now that I use it.

And you're right, the site does slow down a lot around 10am GMT.

#23 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

NoScript is great, but keep it in mind when paying online. you will have to allow sites like paypal, your bank's security system, etc.

and it's best to do so in advance rather than letting it try to process.something and then allowing the script and resubmitting the transaction.

i don't think it has ever caused me a duplicate transaction but it's worth being careful.

#24 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

fyi i meant 8am gmt. 9am uk time while in daylight savings time (gmt+1).

when it reached 8am today it again slowed to a crawl.

2.5 hours ago until a bit before 1.5 hours ago. just under an hour in duration.

#25 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

I have to take back my earlier statement. Yes, forums are still slow. It just felt quite ok after the fix Niko mentioned but it was just in the moment. After longer term use, it's obvious to me the same thing causing the slowness is still going on.

Hope you can fix it, cheers!

#26 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

Still horribly slow.

#27 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:17 AM

The forum is very slow for me too, and for the past few days i've been getting "HTTP Error 502" a lot. I just got it when i tried to look at this thread.
I'm old and have no idea what it means...bloody new technology gizmo's.... ;)
It's them gremlins!

#28 HeavyRain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostSporespawn, on 05 September 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

The forum may be slow because of the social media links.

I added the Annoyance Block List from http://www.{Noble MechWarrior}.co.nz/ to Adblock and that made a huge difference for me.

Cool list and it really did help with the speed of the forum, so I suppose most of the speed problems have to do with trying to load things from 45 different social media sites, because you know, I want everybody to know that I just bought Titanium White on Mechwarrior, here's a pic of me clicking on BUY.

the adress is f a n b o y.co.nz, the forum filter is trying to be funny as usual.

#29 Heat Seeking Civet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 138 posts
  • LocationEverywhere you want to be

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Oh lawdy the errors. The past few days the website has not even been usable. Epic load times, all sorts of those two time-out errors. Try to log-in, timeout. Try to post, timeout. Try to just read an announcement, timeout.

What's going on with the website? It's literally getting worse by the day.

#30 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I have used the integrated code inspector in Firefox to log all HTTP requests and refreshed a page in the forum. I exported the results to Excel and used a pivot table to see which of the sites took the longest to respond in total by adding the milliseconds of each requests together for each site.

The page in total took 17 seconds to load (which is very long!), and of those, 10 full seconds were for static.mwomercs.com, 5 full ones for mwomercs.com, and the rest for the other 3rd party sites references such as facebook, google, adroll and others.

The issue is clearly with the performance of the mwomercs.com web site's infrastructure that cannot suffice to the demand. Either it's a problem with the database back-end that is queuing requests or with the web server itself, but considering that the page layout appears quickly, and that it's the small dynamic things and posting that take the longest, I would point to the database or the network between the web server and the database. Since I don't know anything about their infrastructure setup I won't speculate further, but at first glance, that's what it points to.

Edited by Tweaks, 10 September 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#31 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Whatever you did during the maintenance today seems to have helped. The forums are much more responsive.

#32 StandingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostTweaks, on 10 September 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Whatever you did during the maintenance today seems to have helped. The forums are much more responsive.

Still terrible for me. It seems to be totally random. I can tell you this much, come launch day it will probably just be down.

#33 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Come launch day, it'll be super fast. The word that the entire thread is grappling to come up with is 'Scaling'. The problem is, and will always be the database. When the database for the forums was provisioned, almost two years ago now, there was no concept of 'millions' of users or 150 posts a second. I am not the database administrator, normally, but I've since had to find, check, regress, and fix the slowdown bugs. The first was how Apache handled CORS and Latency with the DB server (read: poorly), so we switched to Nginx which now appropriately shows you a 502 error when the DB times out.

The first of many fixes come in an upgraded (read AMAZING) database servers (read plural) to eliminate the database read slowdowns. This will happen way before launch and will be almost seamless. (expect some forum downtime)

Keep an eye on this thread/topic for more info as it comes.

#34 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 10 September 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Come launch day, it'll be super fast. The word that the entire thread is grappling to come up with is 'Scaling'. The problem is, and will always be the database. When the database for the forums was provisioned, almost two years ago now, there was no concept of 'millions' of users or 150 posts a second. I am not the database administrator, normally, but I've since had to find, check, regress, and fix the slowdown bugs. The first was how Apache handled CORS and Latency with the DB server (read: poorly), so we switched to Nginx which now appropriately shows you a 502 error when the DB times out.

The first of many fixes come in an upgraded (read AMAZING) database servers (read plural) to eliminate the database read slowdowns. This will happen way before launch and will be almost seamless. (expect some forum downtime)

Keep an eye on this thread/topic for more info as it comes.

Thanks for the update Kyle (read: you rock). Good move with nginx, that must have really helped especially with static content! (Was that for static.mwomercs.com is?). Good to hear there's already concrete plans to scale up the current infrastructure with beefy servers. That said, considering the site is this slow right now for the beta community, can you tell us if we can hope for some part or all of the upgrades you have mentioned sometimes soon?

PS. I think you pasted the same text twice by accident, the last part repeats in your post.

#35 Heat Seeking Civet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 138 posts
  • LocationEverywhere you want to be

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

I tried to like Kyle's post, but I gave up on waiting after 4 minutes....

Here's to hoping everything smooths out at launch!
Thanks for the update Kyle P!

#36 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostTweaks, on 10 September 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

PS. I think you pasted the same text twice by accident, the last part repeats in your post.

The site most likely seemed to timeout so he pasted it again intentionally and hit post, after which the forums caught up and pasted the original. These forums do that sort of weird things you know.

#37 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hopefully this'll be fixed soon, this forum is the least responsive site ever. 15 seconds to go from page to page if you're lucky.

#38 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

Come launch day, it'll be super fast. (snip)

Come launch day, it'll be super fast. (snip)

You have GOT to love it when a Devs own post gets doubled coz the site didn't process it right!

However I see from Alexa MWOMERCS/FORUMS has had a 50% in crease in site traffic in the last 3 months alone. Not all of that can be QQ on some feature or another. SO please can all those wailing about the "diminishing player base!" please answer me if they have 50% increase in forum users what does that likely mean in about general sign up numbers..?

@Kyle: glad to see the forums will be getting a rework on "release day" at least! One of the few concrete statements of what we will be getting on "Official launch day" Glad to see your willing to state what your going to have done for us, it is much appreciated!

#39 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

I sincerely hope you guys do have a couple of competent DBAs, because yes, it's always the database - if the database is not properly configured and maintained. If it is, it's never the database.

The first of many fixes come in an upgraded (read AMAZING) database servers (read plural) to eliminate the database read slowdowns. This will happen way before launch

Er... "way" before? Launch is six days away - didn't anyone tell you?

Ah well, thanks for the technical info, it's always nice to get some of that, and I'm looking forward to the introduction of a snappy website.

#40 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

LaunchPocalypse in 6 days. I trust this craaptaastic forum system will be as it is now, on Launch day.

Very sad state of affairs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users