September Creative Developer Update

1105 replies to this topic

#181 CG Oglethorpe Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

View Postmooky, on 27 August 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

Sadly PGI, I AM your target demographic and you're too blind to see it. I am male, 36, above median income, and I have money to spend.

Sorry but they just aren't that in to you.
The 10-year olds who have lots of experience playing Lego games are who they are courting now.

#182 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

They shoud not Fear the Rage, they shoud fear the silence, because then the Game is dead.

#183 Buyao

• Pip
  • Caladbolg
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thank you PGI for the update. I understand that I am not in your target demographic, and will take my leave now. I wish you guys all the best.

#184 codynyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 322 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationda Bronx

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 27 August 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

September is going to be a really busy month, and I’m looking forward to launch and all the new features coming live in the next 90 days! [/color]

Cheers,Bryan Ekman
[/color]

Oh wait like launch will happen 90 days after open beta?

Edited by codynyc, 27 August 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#185 Alenis Shadow Mourid

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

I am working for several gaming magazines and what I am observing and documenting here for the last hours could be stuff for several interesting articles... ;(

#186 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

View PostCG Oglethorpe Kerensky, on 27 August 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

The 10-year olds who have lots of experience playing Lego games are who they are courting now.

Acording to Russ, the target demographic is 10 years old Nintendo Wii players.

#187 M4L4R3K

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

View PostCG Oglethorpe Kerensky, on 27 August 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

Correction: 10-year olds do not play Lego games anymore(I wish they did though), they play Call of Duty. :S

#188 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Ok, so this is the Creative Director apology letter. Now, where's the actual update that tells us what to expect and a general timeline of when to expect it in September?

"Oooo! Look! Shiny!"

Does not work.

Stop apologizing. Start producing.

I've recently passed a threshold of 1000 applications to the team I've been building for the past 15 months in anticipation of the "pillar feature" called Community Warfare. I'd surely like to have something to look forward to, oh, I dunno. By launch?

#189 codynyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 322 posts
  • Locationda Bronx

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

September is going to busy a busy month for us... why your going to both devs working at the same time?

#190 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

I just find it strange that only the Minority is postiing Stuff.

Shoudnt we have many treads from Players who wanted 3 PV ?

#191 Hylius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Alright, time for some basic math PGI/IGP/whatever you want to call yourselves.

This is your basic Atlas D-DC Obviously people will fiddle with armor, weapons, ammo placement, etc., and everyone has their twists and preferences, but bear with me. This is pretty much the norm.

Notice that pricetag. For those too lazy to click, that's 16,140,685 C-bills. Now, let's apply your theoretical 79,069 C-bill average per match. That's 204 (rounded down) matches to buy and outfit a single 'Mech, not including the costs of tinkering with experimental designs. If you think that over 200 matches (at your average of 8.4 minutes a match, 28 hours of gameplay) for a single 'Mech is okay (let's not forget you need THREE of these to get past your basic skills, so triple it if you want), I got a few words for you. And it's not "golly, I better buy premium/a hero 'Mech to get by faster!"

But maybe we're being a bit harsh. After all, this is an Atlas. And though we were told all were equal, maybe they're not. What about, say, a Raven 3L? That's popular, right? Here you go. 12,830,385 C-bills, so ONLY 162 matches for this 'Mech. Even more cost-effective 'Mechs, such as your standard AC/20 Hunchback, will average out to 100+ matches and 14+ hours of gametime.

Sure, you can expedite this. Your cadet bonus (assuming you stay after getting trounced in crappy trial 'Mechs and trying to figure out an entire game for yourself) will supplement your first purchase. And from there you can exit matches earlier to jump in another one, so the time is cut down. Heck, let's say you get better! 90k a match on average! Congratulations! You only need 179 matches to earn your Atlas D-DC now!

New people will not stay and grind for this, nor are they going to throw money at it to speed it up. The only reason old people stay for it is because we've made millions (back when we played the game a lot because we enjoyed it more) and have dozens of 'Mechs to choose from in an attempt to keep it fresh.

Call me casual (which would be kinda ironic). Call me undedicated (thousands of matches disagree, but whatever). Call me a bloody noob (you may have a point here). But I am not going to spend 100+ matches, more than 12 hours of my life (because I don't swap 'Mechs mid-battle, I'm blessed with the ability to make friends in a video game and play with them) just to purchase a single 'Mech. If I wanted to grind, I'd go play WoW or whatever the modern equivalent is. I'm a working man and have better things to do with my hours off from work than creating another job by playing a video game.

#192 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostChemie, on 27 August 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

I created a new account (to avoid ELO affecting the results) and dropped in this new account. There were zero players using 3PV. So how this this drive new player retention? Did new players really leave in less than 1 week before?

Confession. I hurt their telemetry. By creating a new account (and logging into a 5 month old one never used), I increased the new player count by 100%...hence their comments on great new player retention.

Sorry guys. BTW, I won't use those account again so things should settle back to baseline by launch.

Edited by Chemie, 27 August 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#193 Denninos

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

launch is coming and we have just 2 gamemodes. And assault was just made for testing in the first place. Lets not forget CW is just and addition to it i we will still be playing those 2 boring gamemodes.

#194 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

What i find hilarious, is that Russ 10 year old son needed 3pv to figure out how to play, yet my 3 year old was killing mechs while moving and torso twisting in 1pv. So Was 3pv a huge success with slow witted 10 year olds and is that now the target demographic, because apparently normal adults and phenom 3 year olds are not.

Edited by Morsdraco, 27 August 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#195 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

At this point...it took the dev's 270+ pages of feedback from the 3PV feedback thread before we finally got an 'official' response.

All I'm going to say, without being insulting or derogatory towards PGI or IGP is that I find that your 'official response' to be very disappointing.

#196 Protection

• 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image

#197 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 27 August 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

[color=#CCCCCC]I also see a lot of “IGP vs PGI” or “IGP’s to blame”. This is unfair and simply not true. We are partners, and we work very closely to decide the direction of the game. Ultimately PGI has to approve everything as the license holder, so laying blame at IGP’s doorstep is misguided. IGP has an absolutely amazing team of dedicated, passionate individuals, and they are a large part of making sure MWO is available for everyone to enjoy![/color]
[color=#CCCCCC]
[/color]

WHAT??? IF IGP is not to blame for consumbables, 3rd person without queues (jumping the gun), and the lack of, or inability to communicate the whole story to us: IF this is really not true, then what? IGP's meddling was the best theory I had to describe why PGI can't explain to us why they betrayed us; why communication has fallen apart. We have to wait until AFTER launch to find out about what Community Warfare is GOING to be about? Are we at least going to get lobbies soon so we can ignore your five-year plan to bring out the rest of the features of the game? WTF is happening? Really?

I've been doing my best not to be alarmist here, but I don't know how else to react, because I've ran out of ideas of WHY PGI lied to us, and continues to use a lot of words to tell us nothing except 'hold on, we'll eventually get to the good stuff...

You're breakin' my heart, PGI. :P

Edited by Peiper, 27 August 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#198 DisasterMedic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 27 August 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

[color=cyan]I think I can help here - many players simply didn't know you could do this (or more specifically, 8 mins average a round, doesn't mean every match will be 8 minutes for all players. So if you DO die, you CAN leave a match before it's ended. But no worries, we have checks for C-Bill farming :P)[/color]

"People have provided amazing suggestions in the past, are still doing so, and will ALWAYS do so. Problem is, the PGI staff never listen"

[color=cyan]I also wanted to respond to this, as this is outright false. Hunchback increased engine size, quicker torso turning for Mediums, more up/down movement for Cicadas, decreased LB10X spread, etc, just in the last patch ALONE, was all suggested by players, and I forwarded it.[/color]

We're at the point where literally hundreds of tweaks and changes and additions have been suggested by players and put into the game.

So please, keep posting suggestions, I'm here to forward them :lol:

So remind me, which one of these ideas came from (or were well received by) the community:
Ghost Heat: the Magnum Opus
Ghost Damage
Ghost Delay
Ghost Target Demographic
Ghost Posting
Third person view

TIA~~~~~

Edited by DisasterMedic, 27 August 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#199 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Funny how 3PV is a great success and I see only one or two people using it per match. But I guess now days a 2% adoption rate of a new feature is a success. But that's my opinion. OH speaking of 3PV. I wanted to thank PGI for lowering the drone so its harder to see, and reducing the red light's visibility makes it much easier to hide behind a mountain and spot the enemy and relay that info to my team on vent.

Other than that PGI is doing a wonderful job of insulting the vocal player base. But since I'm a vocal player with large quantities of disposable income I guess I'm not PGI's target demographic of passive slavish sheeple that never voice their opinions on the forum.

#200 MechFrog1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostBanditman, on 27 August 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Ok, so this is the Creative Director apology letter. Now, where's the actual update that tells us what to expect and a general timeline of when to expect it in September?

You nailed it.

Where's the beef? (I guess since I get this reference I'm not in the target demographic either... :P )

Edit:

By the way... Way to go encouraging players to quit out of a match early. That way they can avoid the only real learning experience incorporated into the game. ie: Watching others play the game through spectator...

Edited by mint frog, 27 August 2013 - 04:22 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users