Clan Tech & Gameplay Imbalance

80 replies to this topic

#1 perfectblue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

Once the clans are introduced, how will they balance the game? Clan tech is vastly superior, will some of the current mechs become obsolete?

#2 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:14 AM

My only suggestion is to wait and see, because...contrary to what many here will claim...no one knows yet.

The devs have mentioned that they are working on some sort of balance between the two, however. We just don't have the details on it yet.

Edited by Aethon, 25 May 2012 - 04:15 AM.

#3 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:16 AM

Clan tech makes everything from the IS obsolute except for the C3 Slave system, Medium Ranged Missiles, Gauss Rifle Variants, and Rotary AC's.

Unfortunately all of those will not be around for a long long time, except for the C3 Slave system.

How they will balance it is anyone's guess.

#4 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:16 AM

too early to ask that question

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

It's too early to tell. Only time they mentioned it they were thinking that matches that favor IS in numbers and enforcing of Zellbringen will do it. :(

#6 perfectblue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 25 May 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

Clan tech makes everything from the IS obsolute except for the C3 Slave system, Medium Ranged Missiles, Gauss Rifle Variants, and Rotary AC's.

Does that include making weapons such as lasers inferior as well?

#7 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

View Postperfectblue, on 25 May 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

Once the clans are introduced, how will they balance the game? Clan tech is vastly superior, will some of the current mechs become obsolete?

Balance is a subjective word. What's perfectly balanced to one is completely unbalanced to another. Clan tech IS better than IS tech. Having it BE better than the IS tech IS balanced.

That being said, they can introduce game modes where pure IS tech is forced, or IS can only use IS tech and Clan can only use Clan, or all Mechs can use all weapons. There's quite a few paths that PGI can take here, but the only thing we can be guaranteed of is that not everyone is going to be happy with what is chosen.

#8 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

View Postperfectblue, on 25 May 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

Yes, it does. Because the Clan ER Lasers provide far better damage than their Inner Sphere counterparts.

#9 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 25 May 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

There's quite a few paths that PGI can take here, but the only thing we can be guaranteed of is that not everyone is going to be happy with what is chosen.

That's sadly true. But at least I don't have to fight Clans as a Liao.

P.S. How's playing Beta been? :(

#10 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

clan tech thread nr. 2823972372381

#11 Sylow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:25 AM

View Postperfectblue, on 25 May 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

IS ER Large Laser: weight: 5 tons, damage 8, heat 12, range: 19 fields.
Clan ER Large Laser: weight: 4 tons, damage: 10, heat: 12, range: 25 fields.

So, for the price of less weight, more damage and more range. The same is true for any other clan weapon.

#12 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:26 AM

just use the search function... so many threads and posts already made

#13 XavierX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:28 AM

I imagine they will have something involving the meta game that lets IS pilots retrofit with clan stuff. Even then, they can just have some sort of matchmaking handicap for clan mechs in order to even it out.

#14 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

View PostAdridos, on 25 May 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

That's sadly true. But at least I don't have to fight Clans as a Liao.

P.S. How's playing Beta been? :rolleyes:

I'm under no NDA mi amigo. I was banned from Beta. I mean, look at the evidence. If I had access to the beta, do you think I'd be posting on the forums? Heh heh heh. You can tell who has the Beta by watching their forum post-rate drop severely. (mine was low last week cause I was visiting Valve Software in Bellevue) :(

#15 Emperor Cassius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe middle of a freaking desert currently....

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

We cannot assume that PG will leave all of the IS houses hanging in the wind. I am hopeful that they will make for a balanced game, they don't want to alienate players who enjoy being part of the IS (Me included). All of the IS faithful will still have their day. Because if they don't ... people will all be clanners. And that is truly a travesty for the game.

#16 Xendojo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostSylow, on 25 May 2012 - 04:25 AM, said:

IS ER Large Laser: weight: 5 tons, damage 8, heat 12, range: 19 fields.
Clan ER Large Laser: weight: 4 tons, damage: 10, heat: 12, range: 25 fields.

So, for the price of less weight, more damage and more range. The same is true for any other clan weapon.

Where did this come from? Because i remember clan energy weapons also created more heat. And IS can't have ER Large Laser yet, its 3049 and ER tech has not been reverse engineered.

#17 Sylow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:35 AM

View PostXendojo, on 25 May 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

Where did this come from? Because i remember clan energy weapons also created more heat. And IS can't have ER Large Laser yet, its 3049 and ER tech has not been reverse engineered.

In this case you refer to the old shool large laser, 5 tons, damage 8, heat 8, range: 15 fields.
I took the comparison from the 3050 sources, which list the large ER laser for both IS and clans, as the ER large actually was a starleague design, its technology was recovered and it's available to the IS, albeit at insane prices, in 3050.

#18 Fomorian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 267 posts
  • LocationAshburn Virginia

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

Why balance them when they come out? The impact of the Clans was their superior tech and that was it. If they have to be the lowest bidder to invade a planet and we in the IS don't we have an advantage of numbers. We in the IS will need to come together to beat the initial tech advantage that they have once we start getting clan salvage things will start to balance out. I for one am not afraid of the coming of the clans for I know I will be fighting along side a well trained and cohesive group. So I say bring them on and let all the clans lament when they meet the 1st Robinson Rangers on the field of battle.

#19 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

View PostFomorian, on 25 May 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

Why balance them when they come out? The impact of the Clans was their superior tech and that was it. If they have to be the lowest bidder to invade a planet and we in the IS don't we have an advantage of numbers. We in the IS will need to come together to beat the initial tech advantage that they have once we start getting clan salvage things will start to balance out. I for one am not afraid of the coming of the clans for I know I will be fighting along side a well trained and cohesive group. So I say bring them on and let all the clans lament when they meet the 1st Robinson Rangers on the field of battle.

Because it is impossible to make a codified bidding system that is fair to everyone who chooses to play a specific faction. Just like it's impossible to make codified Zellbrigen combat. It's impossible to force the use of Clan Tactics on Clanners in the game thus, any attempt at balance will fail unless it was to make Clan and IS tech identical. Which while breaking Lore, I could get behind as it is a reboot. IS scientists are just better in the PGI universe and reverse engineer quicklike.

#20 Cruxshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

*****,whine,*****,whine...

Boohoo...

Clan tech is so much better...

Until the dev team says that Clans are going to be introduced or if they are introduced how they effect the game. Everyone who is whining about Clan mechs are just being childish.

I admit I prefer to play Clan mechs but you don't hear me whining about the game not starting with them.

It is like the IS fans have no faith in the game developers to keep it balanced if they do introduce The Clans.

Let the flaming begin

Edited by Cruxshadow, 25 May 2012 - 04:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users