Lowdown On Launch From Bryan Ekman (Reposted From Reddit)

304 replies to this topic

#21 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

Those reviews will be nice for sure.

#22 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

View PostSean von Steinike, on 05 September 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Founder's Cat is the most owned mech......so.....not too many non-founders out there? And 50% of Founder's play monthly? One match in a month?

Check out the latest patch, hate it, log out.

Sounds like a lot of founders that I know.

#23 Racklesnack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

Launch: cbill orions and orion customization sale.

#24 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 05 September 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

BIG things in October...anyway what are they launching?

Community Warfare 2.0, that's what. CW 1.0 is already implemented here in the forums, where they're at war with the community. B)

View PostTekSiDoT, on 05 September 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

What's the difference between open-beta and post-launch MWO?

Aside from the White Knights no longer having the "Beta" shield to hide behind...apparently not much.

Edited by Alois Hammer, 05 September 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#25 Vila deVere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

View Postcarl kerensky, on 05 September 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

Also why in blazes can't PGI communicate these things here? Why does it have to second hand news? The core audience is the canary? Wtf The core audience is the foundation of this game !! You lost almost half of your founders? These people paid money because they believed in what you were doing. They saw the vision and potential. That has to tell you something. Like PGI needs to change the way they operate. Seriously.
Wow unbelievable.
Ck

I agree with that. When half of the people who paid actual money on a vaporwear product because they BELIEVED in it are gone before launch, that's not something to celebrate.

#26 Vila deVere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

View PostMr Titian, on 05 September 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

View PostMr Titian, on 05 September 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

Seriously, I don't get it. They should just admit they can't "launch" until next year, or admit they "launched" at open beta. I still like this game, but it is NO WHERE NEAR feature complete enough to "launch."

That's just an insult to our intelligence.

I'd even buy it if they said "ya know, CW was a lot harder than we thought. WE expected to be finished last winter, but it was much more involved than we thought it would be."

And what REALLY worries me is that I think it will be a glorified World of Tank Clan Warfare disaster of an implementation, since the "designers" seem to have not an original bone in their body.

#27 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

Sounds to me like we all might as well come back next year instead of in a month and maybe something will have changed by then. In essense no one needs get their hopes up cause launch is just gonna be a remova of the beta tag.

#28 Xendojo

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

50% of founders....fifty percent.

Half the founders are gone....founders.

I give PGI credit for coming this far, in only 2 years. From nothing to what we have now. But that credit only goes so far.

PGI you may want to consider strongly, how to win them back.

#29 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

I think we can officially say that MWO is dead on arrival.

#30 MrPils

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 142 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Ignore all these nay-sayers, I for one can't wait to see the new ingame store. Afterall how else are we supposed to pay our way into CW faction wars? If it's not too much to ask could we have some more cockpit items, paints and patterns please - perhaps some that are almost identical to what we already have? That would make all my launch dreams come true B) B) :wub:

#31 BeezleBug

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

PGI you really post this on reddit and not on your Website??!! That is freaking great.
shouldn´t the community be the first to know about this? The guys who are playing and spend there money on this game, i wonder?
Another fail of communication. I mean you will launch this game for you and us, or dont you agree with this?
The community makes so much for this game, Guides, Tutorials, Videos, Trailer etc and sometimes it seems you dont even notice any of this.
So what exactly is the differenz between beta and release?

Edited by BeezleBug, 05 September 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#32 Crazyeyes244

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPlanet Helen

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Man, no UI2.0 on the TEST SERVER until like end of September/October? To be pushed to release late October/November? Are you ******** me?

I also like how it's built up to be some huge NEW feature that opens all sorts of doors. Did everyone forget that UI2.0 is a REMAKE of an existing "feature" that is the UI we have currently? It sounds more and more like this "biggest feature [they've] delivered" is just being dressed up to look new and shiny when the fact is that it is a FIX. They built the UI wrong and now they have to fix it to make it actually usable with the rest of the "game".

I do agree with Bryan on one thing though. Numbers definitely can be interpreted differently. He says having 50% of your founders still playing (monthly) is a huge feat. I see that as ~$2.5 million worth of investors are no longer interested.

#33 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

I have said over and over that PGI needs to do more of this kind of chat, more interviews, more communication.

I see why they have not done so, however this communication is vitally important. This sort of honest discourse about where the game is at is important.

Now we know what we're getting at launch; the band aide has been ripped off. This news is disappointing, but now we know and we won't be shocked on the 17th.

PGI. Keep this sort of news coming, do a reddit chat just on UI 2.0 where fans can ask questions like: Why isn't UI 2.0 done and when can we expect it to be finished? What design challenges have prevented it from going live sooner? Why has UI 2.0 been setup as an all or nothing system rather than incremental improvements to the old UI? Is it, or has it been considered to split the framework from the features to allow incremental improvements over time?

Do the same for community warfare: Where is CW at now? Are the challenges in design or implementation? Has an incremental approach been considered? why/why not? Why have you been so silent on the features of community warfare? why has community warfare taken a backseat to some cosmetic features such as 3pv and mechpaint? When can we expect to see an outline or working model of CW for community feedback?

Edit:
It's important to take the tough uncomfortable questions. Why? honesty builds trust. When you take a hardball question it relieves the tension created by dodging that sort of question. Even if the interview is staged you can create the appearance of propriety by taking a "tough question" which you have an answer prepared for. This is common in politics as often planted questions allow the politician to spin an issue while appearing to take tough questions.

An Example:
Bryan there was a kerfuffle within your community about third person view. Many people have not been swayed by your rational or apology. Many people have complained that your responses have made your community more angry. What reply do you have to the claims of third person view represents a huge breach of trust and signals a change in directions of your game to a more low brow audience?

'Well let me first say, we screwed up. The announcements of both third person view and the subsequent launch of third person view were botched. The community is right, this is not a feature they asked for. It is one we as a design team felt was important because we're trying to increase the size of the audience. We should not have insulted our loyal fans by saying things like "Silent Majority" and "Vocal Minority". The truth is that yes we are trying to broaden the appeal of this game and increase the audience size. We're ready to respond with split ques when the size of the player base increases. We don't feel that the vision mode will destroy community warfare as long as people know what they are getting when a match is started. Two teams of 3pv players squaring off against each other will offer no balance issues within that match and will be calculated as a match played on for purposes of faction warfare. We anticipate that whole groups within factions and merc corps will form up based on view and play styles. You will never be forced to play against a view you don't want to once CW goes live.'

Swing, hit, home run, ballgame:
It's often called red meat in politics. When you tell your supporters exactly what they want to hear to fire them up. Low information gamers eat that stuff up. If you don't understand find the family guy episode where Louise runs for Mayor ("What do you plan to do about crime?"...."A lot")

Edited by HammerSwarm, 05 September 2013 - 06:10 AM.

#34 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

I LOVED the last patch, and I've been one of the biggest supporters for the game since Founders times. This delay insults my patience though, for the silly, cryptic, barely sincere ways they communicate with us. It would be a little less insulting if they delayed the 'launch' at this point, as no product should ever dare to go on the market with this ridiculous UI and such a terrible lack of features.

MechWarrior Online cannot afford to launch, meaning getting reviews and advertising, with this placeholder alpha UI, and it is quite pathetic that they don't get it.

It will be really sad to witness the butchering that is coming.

#35 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

From Developer Update August 7 2012

Once we announce we are in Open Beta (Date TBD), what will change?
  • The game is 95% stable.
  • New *features are still being added.
  • New **content is added on a regular basis.
  • Final data reset.
  • Balance and tuning are still happening regularly in response to scaling up the user base.
As mentioned above, terms like "Release" or "Live" are hard to determine with a Free to Play game like MechWarrior Online, however you may consider the game "Live" when:
  • The game is stable.
  • New *features are grouped into more formal releases.
  • New **content is added on a regular basis.
  • Unrestricted public access to the game.
  • Ongoing tuning and minor bug fixing.
We hope this clarifies things a little more and gives you a bit more information on the different milestones we are trying to achieve.

It looks to me like they expected very little to change between the date when this was posted and final release. When looking over these vague "milestones" I can't help but channel a little G.W. Bush when I say, "Mission Accomplished!"

* "Features" means stuff like 12v12, CW, 3pv, new gamemodes, DX11, UI2.0, knockdown, hardcore-mode, lobbies, tutorial, etc.
** "Content" means new mechs, camo, and maps.

#36 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Soon™ Maybe™ Working as Intended™ In Development™ No™

If anyone has any further questions about MWO, just write those down on a piece of paper, close your eyes and point, and that will be your answer.

#37 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

MWO DOA

More of the same ***-hatery and full of fail.

Thanks for the laugh.

#38 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

I would like to know why this sort of information has to be dug out of a dark corner of the Internet and not featured as news on the "official" site.

I would like to know what they intend to deliver and in what time frame. You know, the way they used to do with Content and Feature Roadmaps.

I would like, above all, some honest answers to the hard questions that the community has been asking for months, instead of all the softball, feel good, PR gambits we see all too often.

Thank you.

#39 Lee Ving

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

Founder here, haven't played since June because I was burned out on the illustrious {Scrap} development progress being demonstrated, along with min-max balancing.

Glad to see it is business as usual. Back to other franchises.

#40 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

Ugh, no DX11, UI 2.0? Even the mildly pessimistic ones were taking those granted for "release..."

Please don't go anywhere near Steam with the game in the current state, it will be ugly...

Also 50% of founders not even logging in once a month: that is telling in a very sad way.
PGI: you core audience does not have the stomach to play the game they helped to found with 5M $... how do you think people who are not into BT/MW will fare???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users