Game Freezes

45 replies to this topic

#1 Vinohrady

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hello, recently ive experienced game freezes, I can hear the match continuing around me and on rare occasions it will put me back into the match, this has become a very regular occurance with 4 of my last 5 matchs seeing me freeze up and be useless for my team. My system specs exceed the recommended and the drivers are up to date, any ideas on why its not working properly?

#2 MacGyver420

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

This happens to me usually the first game after login since "launch". Alt + Tab out of the game then back in and you should be able to continue play.

#3 Valkeer

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have been having the same problem. I will have to try the alt tab.

It did bring to mind something I had been considering for a while. In some other similar games, if your client crashes in a match, you can log back in and it puts you back in the match. MWO does not. Once you are out, your out. It may be something the developers should consider adding.

#4 Valkeer

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

Just had it freeze up again. Alt tab did nothing.

#5 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

I play windowed, the freeze up is app only - the OS keeps on trucking underneath.

That said, it would be cool if the devs passed out a tool to crash & dump the MWO game binary when it was frozen so they could maybe... I dunno, fix the issue.

It happens at least once a day to me at this point.

#6 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

This happens to me about 75% of the time.

#7 Cyenthies

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOn some planet

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

I have this problem aLOT. Usually starts as soon as I start firing back at any mech close to me, (within about 400m). It will freeze, but I can still hear stuff happening, as well as my 'mech getting trashed.... It'll unfreeze after I'm dead sometimes though... otherwise I have to kill the process and log back in...

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

For some it is the video card driver recovering from some sort of error, or trying to. For others it can be another program starting up in the background that hogs the CPU, literally choking MWO, or some other Windows process trying to do something that doesn't play well with others. A long time ago processes like mdm.exe and windows indexing used to be the bane games but nowadays it tends to be Window's Aero or Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, as well as Antivirus/network security software. Tis why some antivirus software has "gamers" mode to reduce stuff like pop-up windows/etc but at times it is not enough, especially if it starts scanning gaming files while you are playing...

And having the top of the line system specs will not allow one to bull themselves from underlying issues, and from experience having the most updated drivers is not always the right answer either.

Just saying that there are several reasons for the issues, some may very well be with MWO coding but others lay with the OS and other programs. Unfortunately when there is an issue it is usually NOT an easy fix and many do not have the time nor knowledge to troubleshoot it.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 29 September 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#9 Ramla

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma 14.4/100 games

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:25 AM

I've had freezes, but they are very rare. I think I've had three or four during the last three weeks. I don't remember if sound continues playing or if it starts looping. Alt tab does not work and nothing happens until I ctrl+alt+del and start task manager and the game starts running again. I play full windowed. One of these happened yesterday, but I can't find anything about a driver resetting itself in Event Viewer, nor anything else that seems to relate in any way.

#10 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Once in a long while,I have the issue where it freezes and alt-tabbing fixes it. I'll try adding an exception in MS Security Essentials, if I can find a way to do that. It hasn't prompted me with anything...

#11 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Hey Guys and Gals, Just curious, is there an Atlas being attacked by MG's within 700M of you when the freeze up happens? A few patches ago we had a horrible time with the video locking up on many people and the sounds going either into a loop or just being normal and where we compared notes we found that the Atlas and MG's that were the common threads in every case. PGI seems to have archived the threads that related to this so if you could confirm that this is what's happening it might help PGI to find the real problem. I too had a lock up lastnight, there was an Atlas 400m away attacking a Jaggermech, we were up 5 kills to their one when I froze. A friend who was in the same match and who didn't freeze said that the enemy team was kicking our butts just a few seconds later. I think 4-5 mechs on our team all locked up at the same time and they were all close to the Atlas.

PGI, please check this. Once CW is launched things like this will be completely unacceptable. Thanks

#12 Ramla

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma 14.4/100 games

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

I was playing a match on crimson when this happened again. I don't know about Atlas & MGs, the game had just begun. I took a screenshot of where it hung. Ctrl+alt+del and starting task manager made it run again.

http://i.imgur.com/IZ1UFEz.jpg

#13 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostRandalf Yorgen, on 07 October 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Hey Guys and Gals, Just curious, is there an Atlas being attacked by MG's within 700M of you when the freeze up happens? A few patches ago we had a horrible time with the video locking up on many people and the sounds going either into a loop or just being normal and where we compared notes we found that the Atlas and MG's that were the common threads in every case. PGI seems to have archived the threads that related to this so if you could confirm that this is what's happening it might help PGI to find the real problem. I too had a lock up lastnight, there was an Atlas 400m away attacking a Jaggermech, we were up 5 kills to their one when I froze. A friend who was in the same match and who didn't freeze said that the enemy team was kicking our butts just a few seconds later. I think 4-5 mechs on our team all locked up at the same time and they were all close to the Atlas.

PGI, please check this. Once CW is launched things like this will be completely unacceptable. Thanks

If there is sound looping, it's almost always a sound issue, even if the video freezes. All I can say is to update your drivers or use a different audio device, if you have one. (like onboard sound instead of your sound card, your sound card instead of your Razer headphones, etc.)

#14 Tool Of Society

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

I've been seeing this issue quite a bit on my primary desktop unit but it happens on all systems I've played it on.

Usually the alt+ctrl+del will fix it but not always.

Primary desktop : Happens OCed and at stock speeds. Windowed or full screen 1920x1200 will freeze (max settings).
fx-6300
990fx mobo
8gb pc3-19200 trident x
xonar dx
geforce GTX 660 2gb
win7 pro 64bit

secondary desktop unit : Didn't bother removing OC fullscreen 1280x1024 (low to medium settings)
e7200 OCed 3.8ghz
G41 mobo
4GB crucial pc3-10700
Realtek ALC662 Audio
HD 6450 1gb
Win XP pro 32bit

Laptop Dell Inspiron running stock speeds full screen and windowed at 1920x1080 (high to max settings)
i7-3632QM
HM77 chipset
8GB 1600 ddr3
No idea what audio setup
HD 7730m 2GB
Win 8 home 64bit

As you can see I have quite a broad spectrum of machine components here including three different OS varieties (including a mix of SSD and SSD cached). All three of those systems are experiencing the same kind of freeze. The freezes can occur at anytime from the readycheck screen till the score screen. It's never actually frozen on the score screen or the mechlab/pilot lab screens though.

EDIT : All drivers have been updated game repairs and then clean reinstall too.

Edited by Tool Of Society, 08 October 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#15 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

I contacted support@mwomercs.com about this issue. Note that there are a lot of possible culprits for a game freeze/crash, so if your case doesn't sound exactly like mine, it is still worth contacting support for help if you can't find answers here.

The game freezes, seemingly at random. I can alt-tab out of the game and then click to go back to it, and that unfreezes it... but the opposing team isn't very sportsmanlike about it.

I've attached a couple of presents to this email. Thank you for your help.

Attachment(s)
DxDiag.txt
msinfo32.txt

The problem you have encountered is a known issue and we hope to have it fixed soon.

(hello and other niceties omitted)

#16 Ramon

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

I really hope Devs will read my reply and I really want to hear their answer.

Guys do you ever have QA? I'm leading QA Team in Ukraine. We don't develop such complex thing as MMO Game but... I would be fired if I approve to release product with such P1 critical bug that described in this thread. Also guys - repair tool for already released game with paid content?! I don't think it's really acceptable.
I'm sure that this bug is really tough as there may be to many different causes for it but nevertheless I think you should concentrate on fixing this ongoing issue instead of adding more and more Hero Mechs and Cockpit items. It would be better for us as players no to crush every second battle than to have ability to buy some stuff...
I hope you understand that I'm not arguing with but just want to deliver my thoughts (and I'm sure not only mine) to you and receive at least some feedback.

Thank you in advance.

#17 Astara

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Just started having this issue, the game has played fine the last few weeks, then all of a sudden today I'm freezing. Same as you guys described with the screen frozen but can still hear stuff going on.

#18 Mosadoff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 103 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Confirm. Started after the last patch. Game freezes every couple of hours, Alt-Tabbing out of the game then back fixes it.

#19 Inappropriate0780131

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostMosadoff, on 09 November 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Confirm. Started after the last patch. Game freezes every couple of hours, Alt-Tabbing out of the game then back fixes it.

except for the fact that alt-tabbing causes bugs in and of itself

#20 Staffan

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 66 posts
  • LocationGbg, Sweden

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

I get this too now, usually the first match in perhaps one out of 5-10 sessions. The bad thing is that since UI2.0, it does no longer work to alt-tab to windows and back again!! (always worked before) If I do, I get the sound back (sort of), but the screen is all black. Have to kill the process. I have the latest drivers. (GPU is GeForce GTX 680 with 4 GB GDDR5, driver version 332.21, running on Windows 8, direct X 11.0)

Very annoying and also ruins the odds for the team.

Please help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users