Short Question, Short Answer

10293 replies to this topic

#61 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

View PostDenolven, on 13 October 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

I have found a way to get the desired Result (LRM 20/10/5 in left torso and in that order):
  • put in LRM 10/5/10
  • save, then open loadout again - it should show LRM 10/10/5 now
  • remove the FIRST LRM 10
  • put in the LRM 20, save
  • if you open loadout now, it should show 20/10/5, as originally desired
Yes, it took a while to find the pattern...

It's a weird behavior, where all three "rotate one down" if you remove the first and put a new one, then save.

How can I report a bug? "Issues" subforum seems to be closed.

Mail support@mwomercs.com

#62 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Another one for you BT fans out there:
In tabletop, can a Mech possibly overheat if all it has is a single medium laser? Normal terrain, not bathing in lava or something weird.

Just curious, because I'm fiddling around with my stock Victor and notice that walking + 1 ML is already too much for 10 standard heatsinks. No idea which genius game designer thought that would be cool. In one of the NGNG interviews they said standard heatsinks are working as intended...

Edited by Denolven, 14 October 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#63 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostDenolven, on 14 October 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Another one for you BT fans out there:
In tabletop, can a Mech possibly overheat if all it has is a single medium laser? Normal terrain, not bathing in lava or something weird.

Just curious, because I'm fiddling around with my stock Victor and notice that walking + 1 ML is already too much for 10 standard heatsinks. No idea which genius game designer thought that would be cool. In one of the NGNG interviews they said standard heatsinks are working as intended...

In order to simulate the Ponderous Walking Behemoth effect and get rid of the gamey arcade thing PGI did the High Capacity slow dissipation routine. Koniving hates this approach and beats it like a dead horse whenever possible. It is however mathematically correct. Quite an appropriate translation from TT to FPS. To render the simulation in terms that didn't have this feature would be a ginormous PITA, requiring a full delete, and then rebuilding the weapon firing rates, heat, tossing TT damage rates, throwing in multiple round ACs, refactoring armor, ditching the Crit Table and starting over.

You must understand that TT rules totally suck. Totally suck! They are godawful. The introduction of Double Strength Heat Sinks and Clans so early in the time line blew every bit of balance out of the window. If we were using TT rules transliterated to FPS the Commando would rule! Think about that! Let us not even consider a Stock Javelin or my favorite mech the Catapult A1 in SplatCat config.

#64 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I won't debate it here. But I will leave this for a comparison.

Spoiler

Now, as for the question...
Would you shut down with an ML in tabletop with 10 SHS? Consider that for this we'd have to compare both TT and MWO ML heat. In tabletop it is not possible as you have 10 seconds between shots. So we're using MWO's firing rate.

TT ML heat in TT.
Spoiler

In 10 seconds you'd generate 1 heat at the end of the time slice while stationary. 3.33% heat at exactly 10 seconds.

MWO ML heat in TT.
Spoiler

In 10 seconds you'd generate 2 heat at the end of the time slice while stationary. 6.67% heat at exactly 10 seconds.

At last estimate, walking generated something like 6 heat? Let's try that again.

TT ML heat. 6 heat as a constant for walking.
Spoiler

In 10 seconds you'd generate 7 heat (out of 30) at the end of the time slice while moving. 23.33% at 10 seconds.

MWO ML heat in TT while moving at 6 heat.
Spoiler

In 10 seconds you'd generate 8 heat at the end of the time slice while moving. 26.67% heat at 10 seconds.

Even in MWO, the only difference is that you have 10 threshold more than tabletop with 10 SHS. It should be theoretically impossible to overheat with a single ML unless something was wrong with single heatsinks or you're in a map other than Forest Colony, Crimson Strait, Canyon, or the River Cities. In MWO 10 SHS are superior to 10 in tabletop for the sole reason of the rising threshold.

Stock victor in caustic valley (it doesn't overheat much at all, something must be wrong or you're leaving info out). I run these for the challenge.

Ultimately the MWO core heat system works like this:
Spoiler

And to check it, someone made this handy little heat simulator. It needs the PPC and ER PPC heat updates, as well as pulse laser updates.
http://keikun17.gith...eat_simulator/#

Edit: Added percentages.

Edited by Koniving, 14 October 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#65 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 October 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

It should be theoretically impossible to overheat with a single ML unless something was wrong with single heatsinks or you're in a map other than Forest Colony, Crimson Strait, Canyon, or the River Cities.

Running around the Awesome on testing ground River City, STD250, 1 ML firing with nearly no break. Overheat.
I'll play around once the phoenix stock mechs arrive, since all my other ones are upgraded already. Smurfy says I can't overheat, too. But I'm pretty sure I recognize an overheat when seeing one ;)

So yeah, tell that my Victor...

Maybe running heat is higher than expected?

#66 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostDenolven, on 14 October 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Running around the Awesome on testing ground River City, STD250, 1 ML firing with nearly no break. Overheat.
I'll play around once the phoenix stock mechs arrive, since all my other ones are upgraded already. Smurfy says I can't overheat, too. But I'm pretty sure I recognize an overheat when seeing one ;)

So yeah, tell that my Victor...

Maybe running heat is higher than expected?

support@mwomercs.com

But I should note that unmentioned weapons get penalties to avoid ALL heat neutral builds or so the attempt goes. Paul has this big thing against them. An example, using exclusively a single flamer and sporting 27 DHS can still result in an overheat or even self termination, but firing 6 ER PPCs at 100% heat will not.

There's also a relatively unknown mechanic called "Heat Retention" which applies to the mech itself. We have no idea how it works but when issues like that is mentioned, that's what support points to. "That's because of heat retention." "What is heat retention?" "Heat retention is when the weapon retains residual heat from constant use, making it more and more difficult to sink the heat." This occurs with mostly smaller, weaker weapons but does not appear to have any visual effect on PPCs or ER PPCs. More testing is necessary.

This is presumably why continuous shots generate more heat than previous shots, causing what seems to be an inconsistent heat build up. Even the heat simulator cannot account for it. But without an explanation or manual on it, all we can do is hypothesize.

Edited by Koniving, 14 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#67 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Was having a friendly debate with a buddy the other night. He claims that regular lasers are best for combating light mechs, because pulse lasers concentrate all their damage on one and only one spot (so if you don't happen to hit as soon as you pull the trigger, you miss). I told him that I disagree and am pretty sure that pulse lasers can sweep across a target just like regular lasers, merely delivering their damage at a faster rate (and thereby more likely to land more of it on a fast moving target), and that pulse lasers would be the way to go.

So, to end this debate, I ask simply, can a pulse laser damage more than one location on a mech in one shot (e.g. as it sweeps across the target)?

Edited by Geek Verve, 14 October 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#68 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostGeek Verve, on 14 October 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Was having a friendly debate with a buddy the other night. He claims that regular lasers are best for combating light mechs, because pulse lasers concentrate all their damage on one and only one spot (so if you don't happen to hit as soon as you pull the trigger, you miss). I told him that I disagree and am pretty sure that pulse lasers can sweep across a target just like regular lasers, merely delivering their damage at a faster rate (and thereby more likely to land more of it on a fast moving target), and that pulse lasers would be the way to go.

So, to end this debate, I ask simply, can a pulse laser damage more than one location on a mech in one shot (e.g. as it sweeps across the target)?

Pulse lasers do their damage in fewer bursts, but they still split it into parts.

Your friend has a point - it is much easier to outright miss with a pulse laser, making those untrained in them unhappy with hunting lights (Large and Medium pulse do their damage over 0.6 seconds - comparable to the Large and Medium standard lasers 1.0 seconds)

You also have a point though - each pulse on the Pulse lasers is worth more, so that slight hit from a pulse laser is worth more than a similar time from a standard laser.

Large Pulse does... what? 1.7 damage a pulse, (approx?)
(10.6 damage over 0.6 seconds doing damage every 0.1 seconds?)
As opposed to the LL's 0.9?
(9.0 damage over 1.0 seconds doing damage every 0.1 seconds?)

Don't quote me on that though, as I could very easily not have a clue what I am talking about ;)

#69 Ranaril

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hello guys!

Shot question, i bought Pheonix tier, but i cant find any mechs in game, or Premium time.
Nothing!

When i login on site, it says that i allready bought package.

Where i need to look for my Mechs?

#70 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostRanaril, on 15 October 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Hello guys!

Shot question, i bought Pheonix tier, but i cant find any mechs in game, or Premium time.
Nothing!

When i login on site, it says that i allready bought package.

Where i need to look for my Mechs?

Did you buy it on or after the 14th? If so, you will see it on Friday.

After the weekend sale / maintenance patch.

#71 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

New questions! B)
Why do the following Mechs have no ability to fly/jump?
  • Locust
  • Cicada
  • Flea
  • Dragon
Let's see what answers you come up with :wacko:

Also, quick update on heat: I just managed to overheat a stock LCT-3M with a single ML, while standing still! All our online weaponlabs are not completely accurate.

Edited by Denolven, 16 October 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#72 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostDenolven, on 16 October 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

New questions! B)
Why do the following Mechs have no ability to fly/jump?
  • Locust
  • Cicada
  • Flea
  • Dragon
Also, quick update on heat: I just managed to overheat a stock LCT-3M with a single ML, while standing still! All our online weaponlabs are not completely accurate.

Only Mechs with JJ on the Official BattleTech Record Sheets get jump jets. This is why the Catapult K2 doesn't have them but all other Catapults do.

The online tools are the most accurate at Heat Tracking. None of them include the Map heat.

#73 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostscJazz, on 16 October 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

The online tools are the most accurate at Heat Tracking. None of them include the Map heat.

If that premise is true, the conclusion is that River City is not neutral. either way, something is wrong here, cause I was testing while standing still on a street in River City, 10 standard heatsinks, 1 ML. Every tool says I cannot possibly overheat. But I do (after like 15 minutes of shooting, alot faster when running).

Edited by Denolven, 16 October 2013 - 05:39 AM.

#74 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostDenolven, on 16 October 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

If that premise is true, the conclusion is that River City is not neutral. either way, something is wrong here, cause I was testing while standing still on a street in River City, 10 standard heatsinks, 1 ML. Every tool says I cannot possibly overheat. But I do (after like 15 minutes of shooting, alot faster when running).

River City is Heat Neutral.

Without going into lots of detail mainly because I don't have a lot of details yet, Beam Energy Weapons do not behave as expected in terms of Heat Generation and Dissipation. This is something I started discussing with Void Angel last week. Then Double XP Weekend, Phoenix, and my Birthday (today) happened. In short I haven't done more about exploring the effect. I have a working hypothesis and a draft of the method for experimentation. I'll try to work it out later.

I want to state this point very clearly. The Effect is not a bug. It is a little understood feature but that doesn't make it a bug. It makes it something that no one explored during a year of Closed and Open Beta.

#75 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostscJazz, on 16 October 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

The Effect is not a bug.

Oh I never thought it was. I just question the game design choices concerning the difference in heatsink types :huh:
In my crazy world, standard means "not awesome but does the job". Overheating with 1 ML does NOT do the job :)

Edited by Denolven, 16 October 2013 - 06:45 AM.

#76 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostDenolven, on 16 October 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

Oh I never thought it was. I just question the game design choices concerning heatsinks :)

It isn't heat sinks either not directly at least.

Also, the Capacity Range 30+10 or 30+20 is correct! Still this isn't the place to debate it.

#77 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostscJazz, on 16 October 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Then Double XP Weekend, Phoenix, and my Birthday (today) happened.

Happy Birthday then! :D

#78 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

I think the rules are more based on the Solaris VII dueling rules. This would mean the following would be true:

Each turn is 2.5 seconds as opposed to 10 seconds in length of table top.
Each weapon has a Cooldown period. In tabletop each weapon can be fired every 10 seconds.

In the case of a Medium Laser it had a Cooldown period of 2.5 seconds vs 10 seconds in tabletop. It will generate 5 heat each shot.

This means every 2.5 second you can fire your Medium laser.

In Solaris rules the Single Heat sink dissipates 1/2 point of heat per round. Or 1 heat every 5 seconds.
This means in 10 seconds you can generate 8 points from walking and 20 points from shots, in 10 seconds.
In 4 turns you dissipate 20 heat.

This means every 10 seconds you have a net gain of 8 heat. Assuming that the shutdown is still set at 30 heat, you would automatically shut down if you ran and fired a single Medium laser over and over in 37.5 seconds.

These rules may look closer to what your observing in MWO vs a strict tabletop interpretation.

#79 Kaosity

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNapping in a cockpit

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Scenario... Trying to build my first mech but unable to convert armor to ferro-fibrous, structure to endo-steel, or heat sinks to double. Did they break the MechLab or am I doing something wrong? ie. Nothing in UPGRADES seems to work.

#80 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

You have to drag and drop the upgrade over. Please make sure that the build is otherwise empty in case you don't have enough slots. Only use Ferro Fibrous with extreme pointed and deliberate caution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users