Short Question, Short Answer

10297 replies to this topic

#7681 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:49 PM

I was wondering on few things, Cool Run vs Heat Gen on mechs without Heat Sinks and on mechs with very many Heat Sinks. Read on these forums that Cool Run is definitely better in second case, but I'd like someone to verify this.

Then, Cool Run vs Heat Gen on cold maps and on hot maps. How does environmental heat affect Cool Run nodes and how does it affect Heat Gen? Blindly, I assume that Cool Run would be better on warmer maps but Heat Gen could work on colder ones.

Does anyone have any information on formula that is used to determine mech cooling on hot/cold maps? All I know is that those values listed in Celsius are wrong and each map has own heat ratio value.

#7682 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:11 AM

No mech has a lot of heat sinks without hot weapons.

Some mechs can have hot weapons with only minium heatsinks or little more, if they simply can't carry more and can manage with the playstyle of cooling off often.

I am quite sure heat gen nodes are better on most cases, but the difference is small. I calculated the damage per minute value s of few mechs I have with 20 nodes of cool run and heat contaiment, vs. 20 nodes mainly taking heat gen. You have to look desimals to see the difference, which is totally unimportant in practical sense. But to use 20 nodes to take most heat gen nodes has the advantage, that you can place 10 more nodes and take mainly range nodes without need of taking any other extra. Range is highly beneficial to most weapons. But if you place the 20 nodes into operations, to increase your range, you need to take more extra nodes.

Here is good quide about heat. It misses one late change, that is, Clan and IS double heat sinks have now same internal properties.
https://steamcommuni...s/?id=686548357

I think enviroment doesn't afffect the node balance. And only in faction play you can have mechs for cold or hot maps, because you can change the deck when you see the map. In quick play you need to design the mech by average maps.

#7683 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:11 AM

That's a very interesting guide, thank you.

Sorry to interrupt a useful discussion and repeat a question I've already asked, but it's a short one! In light of skill trees, should I buy BLR-2C or BLR-1G?

Edited by DavidStarr, 22 May 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#7684 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 22 May 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Sorry to interrupt a useful discussion and repeat a question I've already asked, but it's a short one! In light of skill trees, should I buy BLR-2C or BLR-1G?

do not apologise for interupting a discussion in short question short answer, by defination a conversation in this thread is off topic.

as for the 2C vs the 1G, if you want standard Medium Lasers, Balistics or weapon range take the 1G, if you want durability and not more than 6 lasers take the 2C

#7685 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 May 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

as for the 2C vs the 1G, if you want standard Medium Lasers, Balistics or weapon range take the 1G, if you want durability and not more than 6 lasers take the 2C

Thanks! 2C it is then, and I'm going to take every single durability node.

#7686 JustABi11

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:28 PM

So I opened a Supply Cache and got an "OmniMech". I don't see anything different in my inventory of mechs or anything else. I am pretty sure it did not say Pod, but Mech. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

#7687 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostJustABi11, on 22 May 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

So I opened a Supply Cache and got an "OmniMech". I don't see anything different in my inventory of mechs or anything else. I am pretty sure it did not say Pod, but Mech. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I can't say for certain, but I would suggest you look through your in game inventory (same tab as you used to get to the Supply Cache, as I'm sure you already know). From there, look through the omni-pod section and see if the supposive mech you thought you won is there as an Omni-pod instead.

Other than that, only other thing I can think of is your search tabs on your mechs are incorrect to show the mech (seems unlikely). Make sure it's set to show owned and (in this case) Clan mechs.

Most likely, you won an Omni-pod for the mech, and not the whole mech. It's very easy to confuse the two...

#7688 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:06 AM

Decal

#7689 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostJustABi11, on 22 May 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostJingseng, on 23 May 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

Decal

Yes it's a decal looking like the mech paper-doll in your HUD.
This popped up somewhere else on the forum, so it's sure to be the decal :)

All modules from the Supply caches are switched for decals now.

#7690 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 23 May 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

All modules from the Supply caches are switched for decals now.

That's... Not bad actually. In my opinion that is.

My only issue would be if you already have that Decal... Then what?

I would imagine PGI may start placing some GSP packs into the Caches before too long (if they haven't already that is). I think that could be a nice addition to it. (Though it is something I still wouldn't bother aiming for, but it would be nice anyway still.)

#7691 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 22 May 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

That's a very interesting guide, thank you.

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 May 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

do not apologise for interupting a discussion in short question short answer, by defination a conversation in this thread is off topic.

I know he's already made the decision, but an important note on the 1G is the far narrower torso yaw, which has always bothered me whenever I take it. A lot of people used to take it over the 2C due to the heat gen quirks before the skill tree, but I always found myself straining to be able to twist far enough to the side to shoot at enemies, either when holding a wide line or advancing towards or around an enemy line. I'd say 2C is the way to go in any case.

#7692 JustABi11

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

So I got a Omni pod and it just looked like I had an Omnimech?

#7693 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostJustABi11, on 23 May 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Either it was an Omni-pod for an Omnimech, or it was the "Omnimech" decal you can place on your mech as part of it's paint scheme. Have you checked your decals yet? (Filter for "owned" and "all" when in the decal panel. That will remove all the extra stuff. FYI.)

#7694 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:32 AM

View PostJustABi11, on 23 May 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

if you got an omnimech it would not say Omnimech, it would instead say the Mechs model number, e.g. TBR-S or DWF-Prime.

If it said omnimech it is most likely the Omnimech detail

#7695 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:36 AM

I know this is in the patch notes and/or answered already but I don't have the sanity to sift through either.
If you spend skill points to unlock skill nodes, are you able to toggle those nodes on and off without needing to spend more skill points?

#7696 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:44 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 24 May 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

I know this is in the patch notes and/or answered already but I don't have the sanity to sift through either.
If you spend skill points to unlock skill nodes, are you able to toggle those nodes on and off without needing to spend more skill points?

You can toggle them off for free.
It costs 400 xp per node to toggle them back on, but it does not cost skill points.

Edited by Kaethir, 24 May 2017 - 05:44 AM.

#7697 Arkhams Sabre

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

What is the biggest standard engine I can put in a Cataphract?

#7698 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

View PostArkhams Sabre, on 24 May 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

340, except for the 4X variant, which has a smaller engine cap of 255.

#7699 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

View PostArkhams Sabre, on 24 May 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

This will depend upon the Cataphract variant. All but the 4x can take the 340. The 4x seems to have a smaller engine cap at 225.

Edit: Was Ninjaed! Posted Image

Edited by Tesunie, 24 May 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#7700 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:33 AM

Max Engine Rating is 350, except 4X has a limit of 255.

If you can reach that limit with a STD Engine depends on the loadout you want to have.

But, for example, the 0XP with 4 ML, 1 x AC20, 4 tons opf ammo and ECM, Ferro-Armor, Endo-Steel, can fit a STD 320 with two double heatsinks.

Edit: ninjad too, but my post has much more useless info!

Edited by el piromaniaco, 24 May 2017 - 07:34 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users