• LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Learn somethin new every day :D

I'm gonna have to bookmark this stuff!

#22 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Does Artemis always work? Heard a rumor about line of sight.

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Artemis only works with line of sight, but when you do have LoS, there is a noticeable difference.

#24 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

Q: What is the most powerful mech and/or weapon in the game?

A: There isn't one. It is you, the pilot, who makes any mech powerful or weak. Choose your weapons, engines, and equipment wisely and use teamwork to your advantage. Therein lies the true power of a good mechwarrior: his/her team.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 09 October 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#25 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostDenolven, on 05 October 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

Does CASE help me to contain a gauss rifle explosion? Or does it only help with ammo?

View PostSkiddywinks, on 05 October 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

Yes, No

Woah, woah, woah....woah. This contradicts my (somewhat researched) understanding of CASE. I thought it only worked on ammo, and that there was no such option to contain GR explosions?

If I'm wrong on that, I have some XL builds to re-configure.

#26 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

It will contain an Arm mounted Gauss from pushing damage all the way down to Center Torso as the damage transfers (side torso case). Nothing. Nothing. Nothing at all is going to help an Inner Sphere XL Engine and side torso damage.

#27 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

^ Yup - Gauss explosions are handled by the game in exactly the same way as ammo explosions, so a CASE will prevent a Gauss explosion from damaging your CT if the side torso (on the same side as the gauss) has a CASE. Whether the Gauss is in an arm or side torso doesn't matter, CASE will still stop the explosion from continuing on to your CT.

View PostGeek Verve, on 10 October 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

If I'm wrong on that, I have some XL builds to re-configure.

But Inner Sphere CASE will NEVER help a 'Mech with an XL engine, because CASE does not stop the side torso from being destroyed!

Edited by DEMAX51, 10 October 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#28 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Geek: here is the full rundown on CASE...

- CASE can only be placed in the Left or Right torso
- CASE is only useful on 'Mechs that are using a Standard Engine!
- CASE prevents an internal explosion (i.e. an ammo explosion or a Gauss explosion) from damaging your Center Torso only! (which is why it only helps 'Mechs with a standard engine - XL engine mechs can still be destroyed by losing a side torso, and CASE does nothing to prevent side torso destruction)
- A CASE placed in the Right Torso will only affect ammo/gauss explosions that occur in the Right Arm, Right Leg or Right Torso | conversely, a CASE placed in the Left Torso will only affect explosions that occur in the Left Arm, Left Leg, or Left Torso
- The term "ammo explosion" includes both ammo explosions as well as gauss rifle explosions.

Here's a few examples... (for simplicity, we'll assume that none of the components - meaning arms, legs and torsos - have any Armor remaining, but they all have 30 HP remaining on their internal structure)

Example 1: In my Misery I have a Standard Engine, with an AC20 in the Right Torso, and ammo for it stored in the Right Leg. In this example, I have NO CASE installed...
- The Right Leg takes 10 points of damage, which critically hits the ammo bin stored there and destroys it - this results in a total of 151.5 points of damage (10 points for the initial strike, 1.5 pts for the bonus critical hit damage, and 140 pts. for the AC20 ammo explosion).
-The Right Leg, having only 30HP remaining, is destroyed --> 121.5 points of damage is then transferred to the Right Torso.
-The Right Torso, having only 30HP remaining, is destroyed --> 91.5 points of damage remain to be transferred to the Center Torso.
-The CT has only 30HP remaining - the 91.5 points of damage is enough to destroy the Center Torso, and the Misery is killed

Example Two: Same circumstances as example 1, except this time I have a CASE installed in my Right Torso...
- The Right Leg takes 10 points of damage, which critically hits the ammo bin stored there and destroys it - this results in a total of 151.5 points of damage (10 points for the initial strike, 1.5 pts for the bonus critical hit damage, and 140 pts. for the AC20 ammo explosion).
- The Right Leg, having only 30HP remaining, is destroyed --> 121.5 points of damage is then transferred to the Right Torso.
- The Right Torso, having only 30HP remaining, is destroyed. This leaves 91.5 points of damage.
- Because I had a CASE in my RT, the 91.5 points of damage is not transferred to the Center Torso, and is just "lost"
- My Center Torso still has 30HP, and my Misery lives on

Example 3: Same as prior examples, but instead of a Standard Engine, my Misery has an XL engine...
- The Right Leg, having only 30HP remaining, is destroyed --> 121.5 points of damage is then transferred to the Right Torso.
- The Right Torso, having only 30HP remaining, is destroyed - because an XL engine takes up slots in my Right Torso, because a Mech is killed if any part of its engine is destroyed, and because CASE does not prevent a Side Torso from being destroyed, my Misery is killed.

Make sense?

Edited by DEMAX51, 10 October 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#29 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 10 October 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Geek: here is the full rundown on CASE...
Make sense?

Except damage that is transfered is halved. 100 Right Leg becomes 50 Right Torso becomes 25 CT.

This is what makes a torso twisting Centurion a beast to put down. Large shoulder "pods" remain on the structure plus the Side torsos are fairly big. Ditto the Stalker.

Edited by scJazz, 10 October 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#30 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostscJazz, on 10 October 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Except damage that is transfered is halved. 100 Right Leg becomes 50 Right Torso becomes 25 CT.

This is what makes a torso twisting Centurion a beast to put down. Large shoulder "pods" remain on the structure plus the Side torsos are fairly big. Ditto the Stalker.

I was under the impression that the Centurions simply had a bug that was affecting their damage transfer, I hadn't heard damage was halved when transferred, but that's interesting.

Regardless of the numbers, the description regarding CASE is still valid, yes?

#31 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 10 October 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I was under the impression that the Centurions simply had a bug that was affecting their damage transfer, I hadn't heard damage was halved when transferred, but that's interesting.

Yes, otherwise. The damage transfer thing is from Table Top. All damage transferred from one destroyed location to the next is Halved.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 10 October 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Evidently, the "ghost" hitboxes of the arms at the joints is not a bug but intentional. It actually occurs on all mechs. It's just particularly large on Centurions.

#33 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Yes, leftover arm stubs is an intentional mechanic; the Cent just has notably large arm stubs, wide side torsos, narrow center torso. and decent speed. All mechs benefit from trying to 'catch' damage with a destroyed shoulder.

#34 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 11 October 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Yes, leftover arm stubs is an intentional mechanic; the Cent just has notably large arm stubs, wide side torsos, narrow center torso. and decent speed. All mechs benefit from trying to 'catch' damage with a destroyed shoulder.

View PostKoniving, on 11 October 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Evidently, the "ghost" hitboxes of the arms at the joints is not a bug but intentional. It actually occurs on all mechs. It's just particularly large on Centurions.

Now imagine how hard it would be to kill if it was the size of the Hunchback :rolleyes:
Trenchbuquet/Quickdraw and a few others may need size readjustment, but the Centurion would be scary if they shrunk it. B)

#35 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 11 October 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Now imagine how hard it would be to kill if it was the size of the Hunchback :rolleyes:
Trenchbuquet/Quickdraw and a few others may need size readjustment, but the Centurion would be scary if they shrunk it. B)

I'd prefer it 'skinnier'. I like its height. But my god it's too wide. It's literally the same height and width as a Dragon.

Granted they'd have to change the hit boxes a little to keep the CT's width from being reduced, too, so that parts of the STs count as CTs when they make it skinnier.

#36 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'm going to ask a total noob question: how does purchasing camo colors work? Can you buy them one time for all your mechs? Can you unlock a specific color for a whole set of variants on the same chassis?

For instance, I want to play mech-dressup and swap colors around but I don't want to waste MC. Can I do this? Or does a color have to be purchased every time you use it no matter what?

#37 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Camo is unlocked per Chassis aka Mech aka Centurion. Colors are universal.

#38 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostscJazz, on 11 October 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Camo is unlocked per Chassis aka Mech aka Centurion. Colors are universal.

Hrmm... I might actually buy some colors next time they have a sale. Who'd have thought?

#39 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

does 2x XP dailys also give 2x CB?

#40 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!