328 replies to this topic

#61 Andre Marek at the Uni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 6,792 posts
  • LocationNecroposting in K-Town

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

I did calculations from the 2nd Addition board game. And the Timber Wolf actually deals more damage than an Atlas and goes 86 KPH. You can do the Calcualtions with the Return of Kerensky Technical Readout. Timber deals 96 damage per Alpha Strike. Atlas deals 67 damage.Timber Wolf deals more damage than the 100 ton Atlas. This says to me. BUY THESE BOYS. If you can out do the I.S. assault mechs and you are a heavy, then you buy those.

Mad Dog is great at long range but if it is Atlas coming up to him. Atlas has AMS and enourmous amounts of armor. Mad Dog won't stand a chance against that.Mad Dog can only do so much at close range and he won't be dealing any damage with those LRMs. Mad Dog is strictly for support and won't handle a full out battle. Summoner was a brawler and could take damage and deal damage but he lacked short range also. All he had for defense was the LB-10x autocannon and that ain't gonna do much against a say a Warhammer with its 2 PPCs, SRM6, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers. Those 2 were support for ranged combat only. Mad Cat was able to take punishment from everything. And when he decided to deal his damage not even most assaults would even stand a chance. Timber Wolf was the most feared Clan mech and they had good reason to fear it.

Frankly if you want a Clan mech. Timber Wolf. It takes way more damage than Mad Dog, deals way more damage than an Atlas, and has the range abilities of any support. He is the ideal mech for any conquest. Mad Dog is good for say assaulting a base at long range. or just doing what a Catapault does and sits on a ridge and opens fire on the unfortunate ones in its range. Mad Dog is nice but Timber Wolf takes the Kings Crown.

#62 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 25 October 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I did calculations from the 2nd Addition board game. And the Timber Wolf actually deals more damage than an Atlas and goes 86 KPH. You can do the Calcualtions with the Return of Kerensky Technical Readout. Timber deals 96 damage per Alpha Strike. Atlas deals 67 damage.Timber Wolf deals more damage than the 100 ton Atlas. This says to me. BUY THESE BOYS. If you can out do the I.S. assault mechs and you are a heavy, then you buy those.

Mad Dog is great at long range but if it is Atlas coming up to him. Atlas has AMS and enourmous amounts of armor. Mad Dog won't stand a chance against that.Mad Dog can only do so much at close range and he won't be dealing any damage with those LRMs. Mad Dog is strictly for support and won't handle a full out battle. Summoner was a brawler and could take damage and deal damage but he lacked short range also. All he had for defense was the LB-10x autocannon and that ain't gonna do much against a say a Warhammer with its 2 PPCs, SRM6, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers. Those 2 were support for ranged combat only. Mad Cat was able to take punishment from everything. And when he decided to deal his damage not even most assaults would even stand a chance. Timber Wolf was the most feared Clan mech and they had good reason to fear it.

Frankly if you want a Clan mech. Timber Wolf. It takes way more damage than Mad Dog, deals way more damage than an Atlas, and has the range abilities of any support. He is the ideal mech for any conquest. Mad Dog is good for say assaulting a base at long range. or just doing what a Catapault does and sits on a ridge and opens fire on the unfortunate ones in its range. Mad Dog is nice but Timber Wolf takes the Kings Crown.

I'm willing to bet that a Mad Dog can take an Atlas down easily. Given a large fighting arena, a Mad Dog Prime has the speed to keep considerable distance between itself and the Atlas, and gradually burn the assault 'mech's armor off from range with large pulse lasers. When sufficient damage has been done, the Mad Dog can close and unleash its dual LRM-20s and medium pulse lasers at its internals.

And remember, alpha damage isn't everything. The Timber Wolf (and Mad Dog) can't fire all of their weapons without the consequences of overheating. That goes for many Atlas configurations as well.

#63 Andre Marek at the Uni

• The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

True. But Mad Dog is lacking in much more armor than a Timber Wolf has the same ultimate abilities as a Mad Dog plus the ability to brawl with the assaults, and run with medium mechs. He is ,all around, probably one of the most technologicly superior mechs in the entire BT franchise. Also Mad Dog lacks the ability to use those LRMs at close range making his only defense the Lasers which won't challenge an I.S. Atlas' armor or guass rifle and Autocannons.

Edited by Marack Drock, 28 October 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#64 Peter D Hansen

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 79 posts
  • LocationStromgarde

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Ok Mad Cat Wins Every Time That's Easy To See. It Has More Close Range Weapons Than Mad Dog And More Armor. The Only Advantage For Mad Dog Is It's Quicker And More Agile, But It Would Take A Darn Fine Pilot To Beat A Mad Cat In A Mad Dog. Now I Personally Want A Thor. Yes I Know What Your Thinking It's Just A Second Line Mech But If You Look At Some Customizations It Can Be Modified For Any Mission Possible And It Has Alot Of Laser And Ballistic And Missile Slots. Its Not Goo When You Get It But You Can Do Some Mighty Fine Things With It If You Put The Time Into It. Now Back To Original Discussion Mad Cat Is Superior. GET OVER IT MAD DOG FANS!!!! YOU LOSE!!! GIVE UP!!!!!

#65 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 28 October 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

True. But Mad Dog is lacking in much more armor than a Timber Wolf has the same ultimate abilities as a Mad Dog plus the ability to brawl with the assaults, and run with medium mechs. He is ,all around, probably one of the most technologicly superior mechs in the entire BT franchise. Also Mad Dog lacks the ability to use those LRMs at close range making his only defense the Lasers which won't challenge an I.S. Atlas' armor or guass rifle and Autocannons.

Clan LRMs have no minimum range restrictions.

#66 Andre Marek at the Uni

• The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Mad Cat still will finish an enemy faster. Its got 2 times the firepower. Mad Dog vs Mad Cat, Mad Cat wins every stinking time. Mad Dog just dosn't have the fire power to take on something like that as it will take much longer for a Mad dog to kill a Mad Cat than it will for Mad Cat to kill Mad Dog. Mad Dog won't be able to take the damage at close range, and won't take a Mad Cat at range do to its armor.

Mad Cat wins every time!

#67 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Timberwolf and Direwolf a close second.

#68 Andre Marek at the Uni

• The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Oh yeah. But If it came to ranged combat Timber Wolf would win. But at close Range Dire Wolf has it in the bag with his autocannons and loads of Med Lasers.

Edited by Marack Drock, 29 October 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#69 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,641 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

I bid... Supernova?

>_>

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 29 October 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#70 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Since they're both 5/8 omnis and the timberwolf has more pod space and armor I choose the Timberwolf.

#71 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

Why not both? ... and a Summoner

#72 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

Mad Wolf, followed by Timber Dog.

Edited by Appogee, 30 October 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#73 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:44 AM

Mad dog because it can provide tremendous support at it's tonnage and the weight of your drop is less so where it's lighter than the timber wolf one of your lancemates gets a tonnage upgrade.

Think of where you have a timber wolf and a warhawk for the same weight you can have a mad dog and a dire wolf.

#74 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,681 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

Oh yes, i was forgetting. With tonnage limitations you will need lighter 'Mechs in a premade. This is why the Mad Dog may be useful in MWO :P

#75 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,641 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Honestly speaking, the Mad Dog is a mean mech. However, compared to the Timber Wolf, it is a less flexible design and uses less armor than a stock catapult, making it extremely fragile by comparison. Overall, without a tonnage limit, the Timber Wolf should be the better mech 9 times out of 10. The key issue the Timber Wolf faces in a Lurm-off is the tight ammo limits of the 'Wolf's bins. Otherwise the mech should match or outperform the Mad Dog in all other ways, and why should it not? It is, after all, 15 tons heavier.

It (the Timber Wolf) was also about the only Mech released with the 3050 clans that was not somehow (intentionally or otherwise) sabotaged in some way, shape, or form by the developers of Battletech. I mean, Hellbringer, for example, could fit the exact same pod space and tonnage if it went ES and FF, then maxed out its armor, instantly solving most of its issues (and removal of redundant A-Pods to free room for extra heat sinks to solve the remainder).

Imagine how ludicrous mechs such as the Hellbringer would have been if they were not so insanely gimped by their creators? Hellbie would be absolutely nutso!

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 30 October 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#76 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

Im for the Mad Dog aswell. Timberwolf is way to vanilla, never liked the ears, and I dont like the mechs with that sort of CT / look (catapault style). Although I would prefer the summoner over either of them.

#77 Andre Marek at the Uni

• The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Timber Wolf is the better for any brawling cause Mad Dog just has't the armor for that. The reason I say Timber Wolf is because it has the LRM 20s (so it handles support), it has 3 times better brawling loadout (Making it a fighter at close range), Speed of a Medium Mech (Making it for limited Recon), and has more armor than most of its buddies in its Class. Summoner is great for brawling but at any range he won't stand a chance as his Autocannon and PPC won't do the job against a Mad Dog. Summoner also has an Armor disadvantage compared to Timber Wolf. Timber Wolf may weigh more but he can do all jobs well. There is a reason he is the most feared Clan Mech in the Inner Sphere, This is why. Mad Dog and Summoner can do jobs but it takes both of them to do the job of one Timer Wolf.

Edited by Marack Drock, 30 October 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#78 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,681 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

You want the Timberwolf's disadvantage? Even with the relatively short cocpit structure in MW4 i always died with a destroyed CT while the other components were ALL green. The hitboxes must have been a bit flawed if ALL the incoming fire was taken in the CT..

#79 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,641 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

That is actually why I hated the chassis and stuck to the Hellbringer, Summoner, and Ebon Jaguar. The first two had extremely even torso spreads with a flat facing while the last not only had a displaced center torso, but arms big enough to totally shield its ct from the sides. Timber Wolf was just a liability.

#80 Andre Marek at the Uni

• The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 6,792 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

I won every mission in MW4 with my Timber Wolf and never died once. Same as in MW2 and MW3. I got use to that the CT was like Marauder. Summoner and Mad Dog lack a great deal of armor and weaponry compared to TWolf. As for Ebon Jaguar. I like having the ability to move my torso. And it also had the same disadvantage as Timber Wolf and plus several others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users