92 replies to this topic

#41 Kitane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 13 October 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

It is a weapon system that is extremely effective against lights, but relatively ineffective against everything else. It is also an extremely low-skill-to-use weapon. It should be bitched about.

It is zero-skill weapon and it is cheap as hell. But light mechs get no sympathy from a medium mech pilot like me, as long as they can take more direct hits from normal weapons than an assault mech.

#42 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostKitane, on 13 October 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

It is zero-skill weapon and it is cheap as hell. But light mechs get no sympathy from a medium mech pilot like me, as long as they can take more direct hits from normal weapons than an assault mech.

That's another misnomer. The buggy Spider hitbox situation is a Spider issue, not a light issue. However, I am willing to say that Medium mechs are worse than Lights right now (due to having 0 utility outside of direct front-to-front combat that Heavies can do better), although they are by far the two weakest classes.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 13 October 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#43 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Guys we should try to stay at streaks theme, not spider hitboxes, medium mech class etc.

#44 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 13 October 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Internal and external armor points don't scale as well when you get smaller. Heavies and Assaults benefit more, particularly after doubling armor. The reality is that Streaks auto-hit Lights, and as a result the cumulative damage (especially with the Steaktaro) causes the most problems with Lights because their overall armor values are lower than the bigger mech.

Streaks auto hit everything. Lights can dictate engagement range for the most part. Heavy's and assaults are too big and take too much damage from Direct Fire weapons and LRMs, clearly these also need to be nerfed.

Lights can totally avoid LRMs on open ground.

Lights small size makes it easier to avoid damage from direct fire weaponry.

Hitreg still sucks.

Fix those, and you can nerf ssrm's all you want.

View PostDeathlike, on 13 October 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Unless Streaks can be more easily avoided with piloting skill, it will never be treated as fair. Mechanics that require minimal skill and deal a lot of damage is always a point of contention.

They can be very easily avoided with piloting skill right now. Stay at the extreme end of SSRMs range. Don't engage an SSRM boat as a single light. etc etc. Stop trying to be a Heeeeeero and you won't have problems with SSRMs.

#45 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 13 October 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Yes they are actually.

SSRMs cause over 9 times as much screen shake as an AC2.

Do you percieve it being 9 times worse in a match, or are you just going by the mechlab stats?

Besides, there's no reticle shake in this game. Both are just as distracting.

#46 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 13 October 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Streaks auto hit everything. Lights can dictate engagement range for the most part. Heavy's and assaults are too big and take too much damage from Direct Fire weapons and LRMs, clearly these also need to be nerfed.

Yes, strawman.

LRMs have always been bad against speed in any MW game. Nothing new.

Except, when it hits, it's a lot more detrimental. Heavies and Assaults can take the hits... lights, not so much.

Hitreg still sucks.

So your excuse is not to "deal with it" or L2P. OK.

They can be very easily avoided with piloting skill right now. Stay at the extreme end of SSRMs range. Don't engage an SSRM boat as a single light. etc etc. Stop trying to be a Heeeeeero and you won't have problems with SSRMs.

Except, clearly you've never seen a Streaktaro cap, and piloted a light trying to stop the cap. Have fun.

#47 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 13 October 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

That's another misnomer. The buggy Spider hitbox situation is a Spider issue, not a light issue. However, I am willing to say that Medium mechs are worse than Lights right now, although they are by far the two weakest classes.

Ravens are just as annoying...it's not exactly a valid excuse to "go for the legs, because the upper half of the mech is ****** up".

I used SSRMs on KTO-18 this weekend, on my quest to unlock mastery on all medium mechs in the game (damn that Sabre pack...). It was relaxing to use them after endless frustration with having to lead with lasers, ac20 shells phasing through the target or SRMs probably knocking each other out before they hit their target...

I don't use them on anything else and Streaktaro is hardly going to be among my favorite rides. It is fun, but it is easymode as hell. It's pretty much the "I am fed up with hit reg BS, time to make some people really unhappy" mech.

#48 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 13 October 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Hitreg still sucks.

Aha right right, I think you should play this game little more ;)
So I should avoid every mech with streaks?

.......;...............

#49 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 13 October 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Wait wait wait. People manage to die to streaks? LOL!

Streaks are fine L2P and such.

Clearly not as good as you think you are if you have a problem with streaks.

I find it hilarious that now that streaks don't focus CT, the light pilots finally whine about them. Why were you not bitching when they killed heavies and assaults ridiculously fast? Oh, that's right, cause it was in your favor.

I was bitching then...and HOW CAN YOU NOT KILL SOMEBODY WITH A WEAPON THAT CANNOT MISS?!

I think you need to l2p...I would never lose to another light in a Jenner with 2ssrms unless it was a Jenner with 2ssrms who got some lucky ssrm placements.

If you think I should stop being a hero and trying to solo ssrm mechs THEN MAYBE TELL MY TEAM TO STOP DYING ON ME!

When you drop solo and the mm expects you to carry a whole team....how can one avoid 6 mechs with random ssrms on them and ever win?

#50 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 13 October 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Do you percieve it being 9 times worse in a match, or are you just going by the mechlab stats?

Besides, there's no reticle shake in this game. Both are just as distracting.

Both of course. It's 9 times worse in a match, because it is 9 times more shake due to the XML lol.

Do I perceive PPCs doing 10 damage in a match, or am I just going by the XML stats of the weapon.?

:\

#51 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

SSRM is perfectly fine. Shake might be a smidge to high, i enjoy the challenge of fighting 5 streak kintaros that chainfire though.

#52 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Here's an additional thought.

We're going to be introduced to the Locust on Tuesday.
Here's some highlights to its max armor values:
Leg 20 (+10 Internal) = 30 total
Arm 12 (+6 Internal) = 18 total

Every streak missile does 2.5 pts of damage. It might not hit directly that point, but for the sake of argument, let's say it did.

It would take 12 Streak missiles to remove a leg from the Locust. Considering Streaktaros are capped at 5 SSRM, the ETA to a removed Locust's leg is close to soon™.

It would take 8 Streak missiles to remove an arm from the Locust. So, expect to lose all the MGs contained in that section of the mech pretty quickly, not that you should expect that to be more effective than the Spider-5K.

Edited by Deathlike, 13 October 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#53 Nryrony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

A decent streak cat can even kill assaults...

In many ways streaks can be superior to regular SRMs.

The autohit+dmg is already killing the lights, the strong screen-shake simply is an overkill.

#54 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 13 October 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Here's an additional thought.

We're going to be introduced to the Locust on Tuesday.
Here's some highlights to its max armor values:
Leg 20 (+10 Internal) = 30 total
Arm 12 (+6 Internal) = 18 total

Every streak missile does 2.5 pts of damage. It might not hit directly that point, but for the sake of argument, let's say it did.

It would take 12 Streak missiles to remove a leg from the Locust. Considering Streaktaros are capped at 5 SSRM, the ETA to a removed Locust's leg is close to soon™.

It would take 8 Streak missiles to remove an arm from the Locust. So, expect to lose all the MGs contained in that section of the mech pretty quickly, not that you should expect that to be more effective than the Spider-5K.

Capped at 5SSRM launchers which each launch 2 missiles...

Locust will be so doa with this ;)

#55 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Dont forget that locust will go over 170kph, i think he could avoid streak dead

#56 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Post19cico96, on 13 October 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

So what if they explode? I wouldnt post this if one launcher doing 20 dmg, but 5 dmg, cmon man, dont spam here, just go somewhere else

Obviously you have never served, but shake comes from the concussion of the missile designed to explode on impact. I assume that a AC weapons is a explosive projectile which means less concussion but more penetration.

What shakes your head more a punch or a poke in the eye?

"Distribution of force"

#57 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Streak impulse is twice that of AC/20...

#58 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 13 October 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Obviously you have never served, but shake comes from the concussion of the missile designed to explode on impact. I assume that a AC weapons is a explosive projectile which means less concussion but more penetration.

"Distribution of force"

GG science, time to explain how mechs work and the limited range of LRMs.

#59 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 13 October 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

"Distribution of force"

Is that so? Well why srm2,4,6 dont shake screen like ssrms? Why lrm5,lrm10 even lrm15 dont shake screen like 1 ssrm2 launcher?

#60 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostRoland, on 13 October 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

The thing with streaks is that it's not just "shake".

Streaks cause a weird blurring effect as well.

I use this constantly with my streaktaro, against any mech that is big enough to hurt me, and it can effectively prevent any real return fire.. what makes it so effective is that the streaktaro itself is super easy to keep lock with, so you can just tool around at top speed, barely need to aim at all, while constantly blurring your target's vision.

Streaks are kind of broken at the moment.

Exactly.

If the blur effect was taken out the cockpit shake would just be part of the sim feel of the game. When I am on a dark map like Forest Colony and get hit with rapped cockpit shake my screen blurs so bad it all but blacks out my screen. This is from the blur effect, not any smoke from weapons fire. A similar effect happened in Terra Therma's ring of fire. Even though I was in a very bright place on the map, the blur effect messed up my view to the point were I could only make out large close objects, like the large boxes and beams that stand strait up.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users