Streak Shake Too High

92 replies to this topic

#61 BeardedGlass

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

I think the laser boat locust can have 2 AMS, so the streaks wont be instant death as much to them.

Edited by BeardedGlass, 13 October 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#62 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostBeardedGlass, on 13 October 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

I think the laser boat locust can have 2 AMS, so the streaks wont be instant death as much to them.

Well, according to Sarna :

LCT-3M - The -3M Locust carried a single Medium Laser, four Small Lasers, and an Anti-Missile System for missile defense. The armor was upgraded to Ferro-Fibrous with CASE and the chassis utilized Endo Steel construction techniques.

I think that means only one, but it would be rather nice if it had two slots, since only assaults have that niche at the moment.

#63 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

From what I've last read:
Shake = Damage * Impulse
http://mwomercs.com/...68-18-dec-2012/

So looking at the impulse values which you can find here:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

The shake values look like this:
(The second, smaller number is when I subdivided the weapons with multiple projectiles. I assume that's what the game does, but I'm not certain)

ac10: 0.3
ac2: 0.076
ac20: 2
ac5: 0.15
guass: 0.75
lb10x: 1.5 - 0.15?
uac5: 0.15
ppc: 0.3

lrm10: 4 - 0.44?
lrm15: 6.6 - 0.44?
lrm20: 8.8 - 0.44?
lrm5: 2.2 - 0.44?
srm2: 0.76 - 0.38?
srm4: 1.52 - 0.38?
srm6: 2.28 - 0.38?
ssrm2: 0.95 - 0.475?

As you can see the missile shake is quite high. Even a single missile getting through rocks you harder than a PPC. The Streak in particular appears to have the highest shake/missile after it received the damage buff to 5. Only the AC/20 really stands out in the ballistic class.

Edited by Jman5, 13 October 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#64 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 13 October 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Well, according to Sarna :

I think that means only one, but it would be rather nice if it had two slots, since only assaults have that niche at the moment.

Refer to Russ's twitter post that confirms it can mount 2 AMS

#65 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 13 October 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Hurray.

Now if only they would post this information on the game's forum....

#66 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 13 October 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

The tweet in question: https://twitter.com/...818237032370176

#67 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostWispsy, on 13 October 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

I was bitching then...and HOW CAN YOU NOT KILL SOMEBODY WITH A WEAPON THAT CANNOT MISS?!

I think you need to l2p...I would never lose to another light in a Jenner with 2ssrms unless it was a Jenner with 2ssrms who got some lucky ssrm placements.

If you think I should stop being a hero and trying to solo ssrm mechs THEN MAYBE TELL MY TEAM TO STOP DYING ON ME!

When you drop solo and the mm expects you to carry a whole team....how can one avoid 6 mechs with random ssrms on them and ever win?

Were you bitching about streaks killing heavy's and assaults ridiculously well? Or was it still just about light mechs?

HOW CAN YOU DIE TO A WEAPON THAT CAN'T BE AIMED!?

Basing your argument of having no chance against multiple mechs with streaks while being the last one on your team is no different than a heavy or assault mech being the last alive against multiple mechs fielding any number of weapons. Hell, those mechs could field anything other than SSRMs and you still wouldn't have a chance as a light.

View Post19cico96, on 13 October 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Aha right right, I think you should play this game little more ;)
So I should avoid every mech with streaks?

.......;...............

I play it every damn day. I'm bad, mostly roll in lights and mediums, and don't get wtfpwnd by mechs with streaks, be they streakboats or otherwise unless I was playing stupid.

The mechs chaining streaks are kintaro's and generally A1 Cats. They have nothing in the way of firepower against anything that isn't a light. The shake in this game is nothing compared to previous Mechwarriors where it actually affected your reticle, not just a simple cockpit effect.

Streaks are in the best place they've ever been. All this thread is is a bunch of players who can't or don't want to learn to deal with game mechanics that work fine. Streaks are random as ****. Chainfired streaks might shake the {Scrap} outta you, but they aren't killing you very quickly.

View PostGhogiel, on 13 October 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

GG science, time to explain how mechs work and the limited range of LRMs.

myomer fiber already exists, we could easily build mechs with our current technology. There is just no situation where a legged vehicle would be better than a wheeled or tracked one or a situation that would justifiy the cost and logistics required to field one.

BT missiles are tiny, more explosives less fuel. Less range.

View PostJman5, on 13 October 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

As you can see the missile shake is quite high. Even a single missile getting through rocks you harder than a PPC. The Streak in particular appears to have the highest shake/missile after it received the damage buff to 5. Only the AC/20 really stands out in the ballistic class.

concussive blasts versus a projectile designed to penetrate. The streak likely has the highest shake per missile due to how randomly it targets components. If anything SRMs should have the shake increased to match.

View PostGhogiel, on 13 October 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Both of course. It's 9 times worse in a match, because it is 9 times more shake due to the XML lol.

One sound is 92 decibles, another is 184 decibles. Is it twice as loud? Does impulse scale linearly or exponentially?

#68 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Post19cico96, on 13 October 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Is that so? Well why srm2,4,6 dont shake screen like ssrms? Why lrm5,lrm10 even lrm15 dont shake screen like 1 ssrm2 launcher?

That was not the question that was asked of me and for yours I have no idea go ask PGI. The type of explosive used the design of the warhead or cockpit/CT guidance etc. who knows?

I don't have seen only a handful of Streak Kintaro's and they don't live long from what I have seen. Take a look at what dominates PUG's is it Streakintaro's? no its AC builds.

It has one real role, kill lights and shake is very helpful for that otherwise they run circles around you etc.

#69 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

AMS does diddly to streaks unless the launching unit was at max range at the time it fired. The AMS simply does not react fast enough to shoot them down otherwise. AMS, however, WAS supposed to work just as well on all SRMs as it did LRMs (in TT)... so I wouldn't mind if the devs decreased the reaction time a touch for AMS so it would be able knock out some incoming SRMs.

View PostBeardedGlass, on 13 October 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

#70 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 13 October 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Streakintaro's...

Cue mental image of a streaker with a kintaro cockpit for a head.

#71 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 13 October 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

myomer fiber already exists, we could easily build mechs with our current technology. There is just no situation where a legged vehicle would be better than a wheeled or tracked one or a situation that would justifiy the cost and logistics required to field one.

BT missiles are tiny, more explosives less fuel. Less range.

Tell me more about how battletech makes any sense.

One sound is 92 decibles, another is 184 decibles. Is it twice as loud? Does impulse scale linearly or exponentially?

Screen shake = Impulse * damage

#72 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 13 October 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Tell me more about how battletech makes any sense.

Alternate Universe makes sense in alternate universe. You're arguing basic physics against ( fictional ) technology really.

View PostGhogiel, on 13 October 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Screen shake = Impulse * damage

Then the question becomes is a screen shake setting of 2 actually twice as harsh as a screen shake setting of 1? Does screen shake scale linearly?

#73 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 13 October 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Alternate Universe makes sense in alternate universe. You're arguing basic physics against ( fictional ) technology really.

No no, it's you who is arguing about physics and fictional technology. I am arguing about game balance in a game.

Then the question becomes is a screen shake setting of 2 actually twice as harsh as a screen shake setting of 1? Does screen shake scale linearly?

Yes.

#74 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 13 October 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Yes.

Your answer is based on what exactly? I doubt you notice much of a difference in game. At least not enough where you can say with any certainty that weapon x shakes twice as harshly as weapon y. Shake / impulse is cumulative, sure, but the shake from a single SSRM2 is no way perceivable in a match as being 9 times (it's actually more according to the stats on smurfy lol ) harsher than a single ac2 shot.

Edited by No Guts No Glory, 13 October 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#75 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

It would be cool if the people who claim streaks are fine were prevented from using them.

#76 Storm Khan

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Having read thru the entire thread and spectated mechs being chain streaked and used chain streaks and also been the victim of chained streaks, I'm beginning to wonder if some of the shake blur effects are due to people's rigs? I see the shake but not the blur on my machine yet I read about others saying its quite blurry. Could it be the response times of some monitors? Do ppl still use CRTs?

IMHO, there are always ways to counter any system or mechanic in the game. Innovate with your own 'nerf' to the perceived OP (be it team work, avoid said mechs, whatever) is the best counter to anything! ;)

#77 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 13 October 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

Your answer is based on what exactly? I doubt you notice much of a difference in game. At least not enough where you can say with any certainty that weapon x shakes twice as harshly as weapon y. Shake / impulse is cumulative, sure, but the shake from a single SSRM2 is no way perceivable in a match as being 9 times (it's actually more according to the stats on smurfy lol ) harsher than a single ac2 shot.

No one care if it's unperceivable to you, but since that is the case we can just lower it and you'll never notice.

#78 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostRoland, on 13 October 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

It would be cool if the people who claim streaks are fine were prevented from using them.

All hail our future Spider overlords.

#79 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostStorm Khan, on 13 October 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Having read thru the entire thread and spectated mechs being chain streaked and used chain streaks and also been the victim of chained streaks, I'm beginning to wonder if some of the shake blur effects are due to people's rigs? I see the shake but not the blur on my machine yet I read about others saying its quite blurry. Could it be the response times of some monitors? Do ppl still use CRTs?

IMHO, there are always ways to counter any system or mechanic in the game. Innovate with your own 'nerf' to the perceived OP (be it team work, avoid said mechs, whatever) is the best counter to anything! ;)

It's certainly possible that it's better/worse on different rigs and settings. I personally have an "ok" monitor (not a CRT!!), but otherwise good specs so I can more or less maintain 60 fps.

Part of me wonders if the blur is a bit of a cheat by the developers to get around performance loss when your mech is shaking all around. Or maybe turning off motion blur in-game isn't actually turning it off. I wonder if it's something I can change on my the graphics card setting.

#80 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostJman5, on 13 October 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Part of me wonders if the blur is a bit of a cheat by the developers to get around performance loss when your mech is shaking all around. Or maybe turning off motion blur in-game isn't actually turning it off. I wonder if it's something I can change on my the graphics card setting.

Nah, the blur is a screen space effect applied after the frame is rendered. It shouldn't save you any performance.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users