Streak Shake Too High

92 replies to this topic

#1 xCico

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

I dont know if anybody else noticed and I've searched for this(no results), but streak shake more than freakin ac20?
I was in atlas and suddenly streaktaro showed up( didnt see seismic), I stripped his armor but then he finally locked me and bam, I missed him 10m away because he chain me with that streaks, I was shaking so high that I could literally drop out from cockipt, and that scene happened more tham once.
I mean it is a 5 dmg?

Edited by 19cico96, 13 October 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#2 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

I have noticed this as well... getting hit by a few streaks feels like getting smashed with an LRM60 barrage!

#3 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

Yep, they're taking advantage of the fact that screen shake from a SSRM2 = LRM5 = LRM20 = LRM90 (possible in cplt-a1). It's become depressingly common for streaktaros and CPLT-A1s to chain fire SSRM2s and LRM5s to effectively stunlock a target.

#4 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

You are being hit by 4 explosive missiles per second, you know.

It isn't any different from being hit by a Dakka boat, and that Dakka boat will probably kill you in 1/3 of the time...

#5 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostKitane, on 13 October 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

It isn't any different from being hit by a Dakka boat, and that Dakka boat will probably kill you in 1/3 of the time...

Nope, when I get hit by dakka dakka boat I dont see because of smoke, I dont even notice shaking, but that is normal, this is different, I'm sure.

#6 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

View Postaniviron, on 13 October 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

stunlock a target.

That is a very interesting way of putting it and now I want my A1 back lol

In fact I've been running a STK-5M with 5x SSRM2's and 3 LL and that's pretty nasty (until you overheat as hell)

Edited by Captain Stiffy, 13 October 2013 - 04:14 AM.

#7 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 13 October 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

That is a very interesting way of putting it and now I want my A1 back lol

In fact I've been running a STK-5M with 5x SSRM2's and 3 LL and that's pretty nasty (until you overheat as hell)

not as effective as it sounds

#8 culverin

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:37 AM

It is true.
It is very effective.

And as a light pilot it drives me insane. :D
When I see a streak-taro, I hightail it and run.

Posted Image

#9 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

The dakka boat also has to devote 24 tons to the AC2s and at least 8 tons to ammo, more if he wants to keep shooting for more than half the match. SSRM2s weigh a ton and a half each, are incredibly ammo efficient, and don't require aiming. Oh, and the dakka boat tends to be slow enough that it can't follow me at 120kph, so I can actually use cover against it.

#10 CravenMadness

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNGNG TS3

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

Jesus tap-dancing Christ... One thread about lrms being op, and now someone bitching about 'screen shake' from -streaks- of all things? Who -are- you people? There's almost no reason to -take- streaks in the first place now that they target everything except the cherry red parts of the mech you are targeting, unless you fire a blob of them and force the random hit target generator to give you a soft spot for a quarter of the payload to hit. And now someone wants to whine about 'screen shake' ?

Are you really so soft headed you can't pilot your mech through a bit of rumble pad effect? How do you ever hope to fight with a triple ac anything? Or hell, even a dual ac anything if they chain-fire and slam you in every couple seconds and actually -does- damage to what they're shooting at and doesn't have a half dozen counter-measures to neutralize them? ... You do realize that a single ams system destroys streaks fired in chain almost 100%? Can't even lock on most mechs they are useful against unless the missile mech is carrying B.A.P and that's only if there isn't more than one ecm light running around.

#11 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

View Postaniviron, on 13 October 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

The dakka boat also has to devote 24 tons to the AC2s and at least 8 tons to ammo, more if he wants to keep shooting for more than half the match. SSRM2s weigh a ton and a half each, are incredibly ammo efficient, and don't require aiming. Oh, and the dakka boat tends to be slow enough that it can't follow me at 120kph, so I can actually use cover against it.

He can also aim and isn't restricted to 270m (or ~180-200m against ECM protected mechs or 0 against two ECM mechs)

Edited by Kitane, 13 October 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#12 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

earthquake simulator and auto-botting missile streaks! (great functionality /sarcasm)

#13 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

It's actually a good deal different.

SSRMs and SRMs shake a lot more than both AC2 and AC5s. In fact each missile has twice the cockpit shake of an AC5.

Shake = impulse * damage

weapon impulse
SRM&SSRM 0.19
AC5 0.038
AC2 0.03

SSRMs shake the cockpit at a factor of 0.38 per missile
AC5s shake the cockpit at a factor of 0.19

#14 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

The thing with streaks is that it's not just "shake".

Streaks cause a weird blurring effect as well.

I use this constantly with my streaktaro, against any mech that is big enough to hurt me, and it can effectively prevent any real return fire.. what makes it so effective is that the streaktaro itself is super easy to keep lock with, so you can just tool around at top speed, barely need to aim at all, while constantly blurring your target's vision.

Streaks are kind of broken at the moment.

#15 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I've been abusing the sh*t out of this when I play. I really have no choice when leading a light lance but to create full strategies to take advantage of streaks when I can, and to protect against streaks as well.

I sure hope they reduce streak damage back to 2.0, and raise standard SRM damage to 2.5.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 13 October 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 13 October 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

I've been abusing the sh*t out of this when I play. I really have no choice when leading a light lance but to create full strategies to take advantage of streaks when I can, and to protect against streaks as well.

I sure hope they reduce streak damage back to 2.0, and raise standard SRM damage to 2.5.

Why are SSRMs 2.5 and SRMs 2.0 anyway?

Oh and I was using 2.0 damage in my screan shake calculation.

SSRMs shake at 0.475 and not 0.38

Edited by Ghogiel, 13 October 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#17 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostRoland, on 13 October 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

The thing with streaks is that it's not just "shake".

Streaks cause a weird blurring effect as well.

I use this constantly with my streaktaro, against any mech that is big enough to hurt me, and it can effectively prevent any real return fire.. what makes it so effective is that the streaktaro itself is super easy to keep lock with, so you can just tool around at top speed, barely need to aim at all, while constantly blurring your target's vision.

Streaks are kind of broken at the moment.

This. The constant shake is annoying, but It's the unending blur that makes this really bad. I want to play against one of the developers to show them how irritating this can be when done effectively. Chain firing LRMs can have a similar impact.

Everyone do an experiment with me. Unfocus your eyes and rock your head from side to side for 30 seconds. Annoying right? That is what it's like when you're being chain targeted by streaks or LRMs. And it seems that as long as a single missile impacts you, the shake/blur is the same as being hit by all the missiles.

Just for the record I pilot a Kintaro with chainfiring streaks, so I benefit from the current state of affairs. I'm still saying that what I do is BS and shouldn't be happening.

If it were up to me, I would try to set up a resistance buildup to shake/blur as a battle goes on. So for example say you're in a battle and get hit by a streak SRM. You would shake/blur momentarily the same as before. Then you get hit again and it's reduced slightly because you need to get hit by something bigger to achieve the same level of shake/blur you had on the first hit. This value climbs until it hits some maximum. Once you're out of combat for 10-20 seconds the resistance gets reset down to 0.

Hmm, I think I'm going to put this in the suggestion forum.

Edited by Jman5, 13 October 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#18 Slab Squathrust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA or Billings, MT

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostKitane, on 13 October 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

He can also aim and isn't restricted to 270m (or ~180-200m against ECM protected mechs or 0 against two ECM mechs)

Any pilot relying heavily on streaks like a 5 ssrm 2 2 ml kintaro would be foolish to not equip a beagle probe. Allowing a single light running ecm to neutralize 25 points of your damage output is the height of folly.

#19 culverin

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 98 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Posted Image

#20 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon