Mechwarrior Online Asset Art

Art

501 replies to this topic

#281 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Postharuko, on 26 November 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

And for fun, here's how you could fix the Commando cockpit:
Posted Image

It's roomy enough to fit all the panels with a big enough view! Although, it doesn't look as cool...

Regardless, I love the Commando, and the way it is right now, even if it isn't in-scale

Actually, that's the correct Commando's look. The pirate-eye cockpit is a mistake done due to a misunderstanding in the old artwork. Unlike most of these, however, it makes the whole design cooler, so I think it's easy to forgive it's non-correctness. :P

#282 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostAdridos, on 26 November 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Actually, that's the correct Commando's look. The pirate-eye cockpit is a mistake done due to a misunderstanding in the old artwork. Unlike most of these, however, it makes the whole design cooler, so I think it's easy to forgive it's non-correctness. :P

Yup, that's where I got the idea from.

To be honest I think FD never intended for the cockpit to be set up the way PGI has, I think FD also envisioned pilots using external sensors and cameras to have a 360 degree of view through the neurohelm with no obstruction, because, if you look at the Commando concept art and on the model itself, there appears to be an ejection panel on it's head, but it's dead center, rather than to the side of the head. It has to be an ejection panel too because why would they need a maintenance panel there? They could just get in from the cockpit since the Commando's head probably isn't very thick to begin with, so there's no need for such a huge panel when they could do with a smaller one or just access anything from the interior.

#283 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostAdridos, on 26 November 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Actually, that's the correct Commando's look. The pirate-eye cockpit is a mistake done due to a misunderstanding in the old artwork. Unlike most of these, however, it makes the whole design cooler, so I think it's easy to forgive it's non-correctness. :blink:

Here's the original Commando art from TRO:3025. Can't tell what their idea for the cockpit/head is supposed to be:

Posted Image

Here's the Commando art that first appeared in TRO:3050. Every miniature of the Commando I've seen uses this style of head, with a visor-like viewport:
Posted Image

#284 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 26 November 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

Buttmissiles!
The next generation of the Buttstomp! :blink:

#285 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Spider pilot pics coming up

#286 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

So I've brought up a few times that the Spider is actually pretty well scaled but I don't think I ever shared the pictures to prove it, now, I could upload the old ones but they were kinda ugly imho, so...I made a few new ones.

To begin, here is the pilot position in the in-game cockpit, and how he would be positioned in the actual model itself in relation to that:
Posted Image

Even though the Spider is smaller than the Commando, it actually has ample room for the pilot and all it's internals:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also said earlier that I envisioned the pilot getting in and out of the mech through that openable hatch at the front that you see in the in-game cockpit (look up next time you're in a spider), some people said it was too small, but it's actually about the same size as a tank hatch would be, the pilot can get through it fine, obviously not in a hurry though, which sucks because, as people told me in the thread, the Spider has no eject system!

Posted Image

That's all for now, I'll be posting a Commando Eject picture up too in a few minutes, also, for the record these images are all supposed to have transparent backgrounds but apparently IMGUR hates me...

Anyway, if for whatever reason you're interested in the transparent versions just message me and I'll see if I can e-mail them to you or something.

#287 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

Oooooooh goood the Commando eject pic came out so ******* cool, holy ****, I'm gonna try to give it a proper background so bear with me.

#288 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

EEEEEEEJECTING!

Posted Image

Sigh....as usual what started as a simple image ended with me getting carried away, I was gonna draw tonight ;_;

Oh well, it was fun making it, the chair is my own design, ripped out of my typhoon, the PGI one is too bulky to be any good for ejection.

Posted Image

As an added bonus, the old closed beta damage textures are still in the files, so check it out! A reminder that this game used to have some beautiful effects before they dumbed down the graphics:
Posted Image

#289 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,593 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

ejecting in a Tunnel could be a baaad Idea :blink: ....... da...n cool pics Haruko.

#290 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostMighty Spike, on 27 November 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

ejecting in a Tunnel could be a baaad Idea :blink: ....... da...n cool pics Haruko.

Its just a Schallschutzwand - or Noise barrier for the MechHighway.

#291 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

View Postharuko, on 26 November 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

To be honest I think FD never intended for the cockpit to be set up the way PGI has...

Well, the model design is done by a separate person, so it's kind of easy to see it ending up differently than FD imagined.
However, I don't think he ever way one of those 360° holo-view supporters.

Here's a cockpit of his own to give you an idea of how he sees them:

*can't find the picture ATM, sorry*

View PostDirePhoenix, on 26 November 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Here's the original Commando art from TRO:3025. Can't tell what their idea for the cockpit/head is supposed to be:

Posted Image

Yep, that was the problem. People argued over whether it's supposed to be like this or if it's just looking sideways for quite a while until the artist confirmed he drew it looking to it's left.

#292 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

Requested Cicada stuff coming later, if anyone else has any requests let me know!

Spent the afternoon working on the Steiner character for my comic:
Posted Image

These are just rough drafts for now.

Edited by haruko, 28 November 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#293 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Greetings all,

Nice cartoon characters, although you may want to rethink the 5 piece, straps, buckles chest harness for the female entities. I know they are just cartoons but for the life of me I can't imagine that set up being a functional piece of gear. Components are all in the most uncomfortable locations and the largest plate doesn't actually protect any vital spots.
Actually looks like it's on backwards and they should be covering the upper spine and kidneys.

Now this is just an observation from an ex military soldier, who had to go through many issues of "test" and "trial" equipment.

Normal protective armour is sized to fit the wearer, hard or soft it doesn't matter. For the female users they are proportioned and anatomically build to suit there body and structure. If it's not comfortable and pinch's or push's it does not go into service. (or they just don't wear it.)

Ps: Excellent work on the Mech art.
Commando Ejection seat needs rockets or motors to get it clear of the current "reason for ejecting" area.

Just saying,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 27 November 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#294 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

View Post9erRed, on 27 November 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Greetings all,

Nice cartoon characters, although you may want to rethink the 5 piece, straps, buckles chest harness for the female entities. I know they are just cartoons but for the life of me I can't imagine that set up being a functional piece of gear. Components are all in the most uncomfortable locations and the largest plate doesn't actually protect any vital spots.
Actually looks like it's on backwards and they should be covering the upper spine and kidneys.

Now this is just an observation from an ex military soldier, who had to go through many issues of "test" and "trial" equipment.

Normal protective armour is sized to fit the wearer, hard or soft it doesn't matter. For the female users they are proportioned and anatomically build to suit there body and structure. If it's not comfortable and pinch's or push's it does not go into service. (or they just don't wear it.)

Ps: Excellent work on the Mech art.
Commando Ejection seat needs rockets or motors to get it clear of the current "reason for ejecting" area.

Just saying,
9erRed

Oh trust me, as a girl, I know. First thing that came to mind when I first saw the ingame pilot outfit up close other than that it makes 0 sense is that it would be uncomfortable as hell to wear as a girln hell even as a guy it would be, the strap placement would chafe your sides, and I can't for the life of me figure out why it has spiked toe caps. You should see the back piece of the armor, it is literally a big turtle shell that would kill your back sitting on it in a cockpit all day. BUT, in the end, it does kinda look cool, and it's iconic to the game (to the people who know how to use freelook anyway) , and that's why I stuck with it.

#295 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

View Postharuko, on 27 November 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Requested Cicada stuff coming later, if anyone else has any requests let me know!

Spent the afternoon working on the Steiner character for my comic:
Posted Image

OMG Yay! Cicada stuff and they are well...... one may say "kawaii"
I approve!

#296 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Greetings,

First idea about the spiked toe caps would be to "lock" the boots into the foot peddle controls, similar to how cross country ski's lock the toe in but allow the foot to move off the ski. Some current pilot seats have cable locks on the back of the boots to automatically pull the feet in tight to the chair during an ejection. (or risk having a leg or foot removed when rapidly exiting the cockpit.) I see the boot toe claw bending out and down in the ejection images.

Yes and the body armour plates I referred to may all be components of the upper torso cooling elements. If the back and shoulder blade "turtle shell" fit snugly into the seat and was molded to the pilot on the inside it may indeed be very comfortable. Cooling the chest and abdomen front and back, would be critical requirements to being able to function in an increasingly hotter cockpit.

With the pilot securely locked into the seat, and I mean tight, the suit and seat would work to cushion the pilot from impacts. The chair would have to be form fitting, which you would need, as constant shaking would rattle the body and internal systems too much. The Lore doesn't say too much about the normal riding or driving comfort the pilots had, mostly just the poundings they received during combat. But considering the pilot needed to use his balance sense it would only be justified it they were very securely restrained in the mech's.

Reference the straps and causing "issues" when moving, if the under-suit or thermal/flameproof material was made of a form fitting thicker material and had "what we call Velcro" at specific locations, the straps could be secured to the body suit and not move at all during normal wear. With current tech, the straps from our shoulder and leg holsters fit very nicely and after a short time you don't even know the straps are there. (mostly an edge design issue with most wide straps that cause problems, add contoured edges and back padding and you forget it's there.)

9erRed

#297 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

View Post9erRed, on 27 November 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

Greetings,

First idea about the spiked toe caps would be to "lock" the boots into the foot peddle controls, similar to how cross country ski's lock the toe in but allow the foot to move off the ski. Some current pilot seats have cable locks on the back of the boots to automatically pull the feet in tight to the chair during an ejection. (or risk having a leg or foot removed when rapidly exiting the cockpit.) I see the boot toe claw bending out and down in the ejection images.

Yes and the body armour plates I referred to may all be components of the upper torso cooling elements. If the back and shoulder blade "turtle shell" fit snugly into the seat and was molded to the pilot on the inside it may indeed be very comfortable. Cooling the chest and abdomen front and back, would be critical requirements to being able to function in an increasingly hotter cockpit.

With the pilot securely locked into the seat, and I mean tight, the suit and seat would work to cushion the pilot from impacts. The chair would have to be form fitting, which you would need, as constant shaking would rattle the body and internal systems too much. The Lore doesn't say too much about the normal riding or driving comfort the pilots had, mostly just the poundings they received during combat. But considering the pilot needed to use his balance sense it would only be justified it they were very securely restrained in the mech's.

Reference the straps and causing "issues" when moving, if the under-suit or thermal/flameproof material was made of a form fitting thicker material and had "what we call Velcro" at specific locations, the straps could be secured to the body suit and not move at all during normal wear. With current tech, the straps from our shoulder and leg holsters fit very nicely and after a short time you don't even know the straps are there. (mostly an edge design issue with most wide straps that cause problems, add contoured edges and back padding and you forget it's there.)

9erRed

That actually puts a lot of it into perspective, thanks!

Not sure if you noticed but I have a clear picture of the pilot outfit on the first page of this thread:
Posted Image

#298 Aiden Whitefield

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, CA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

I've been meaning to mention this, but has anyone else noticed that the game's mechanic model looks more properly attired for piloting a 'Mech than the actual pilot model?

#299 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostAiden Whitefield, on 28 November 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I've been meaning to mention this, but has anyone else noticed that the game's mechanic model looks more properly attired for piloting a 'Mech than the actual pilot model?

That's because the "pilot" mesh is in fact a re-skinned Crysis character that comes with the Cry-Engine SDK. :D

Edited by HlynkaCG, 28 November 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#300 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

Arguably, it could be mentioned that cooling suits were starting to come back in this period. I remember reading that by 3054 cooling suits were widespread on Solaris and were starting to become "mainstream" amongst high and mid profile House units.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users