Merc Corps Commanders: How Do You Manage Your Ranks And Positions?

119 replies to this topic

#101 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Running an online gaming unit/community of players is like running a business. Not every business has the same rules and procedures, much like each location/store from a company may operate differently from the one two cities over... No two units will be the same, unless they are initially one unit split because of a unit member cap the Devs put into place. This is going to happen here... it's happened elsewhere in the gaming world... power blocs will be formed and the smaller units will suffer some compared to the larger units. But in the end... what unit is going to be easier to manage? Larger... or smaller? That depends on how you distribute your duties to "officers" versus the regular "enlisted" players. Here's my management stand-point at work (working in a Copy and Mail center of an international law firm), things need to be done correct, on time, and done efficiently. I don't care if that person works at a slower or faster rate than myself, works back to front while I work front to back, so long as it's done correctly and in a timely manner, how you get from point A to point B is up to you, so long as point B meets the expectations required... Now, if you're running a milsim unit that requires x amount of activity a week, required training days this and that, and required damage output per match, required to buy MC colors and pattern for the unit.... GOOD LUCK in that unit and I hope you don't go bat$h!t crazy with them and have fun... I will not stress out my players in BSI with demands that will take away the fun. We drop with what Mechs we're leveling up on experience, we paint them how we want to paint them (some have taken to purchasing specific colors and color coordinating LOL! I think cool, but not necessary), we play when we want to play, and generally enjoy our company together regardless of losing or winning matches. I don't encourage or push for folks to be active because I believe it comes down to this: Active Leadership... my unit is active regularly on our Mumble server because I've taken to this approach and they respect that. Without it (active leadership)... you won't earn the dedication and respect of those in your unit, let alone being able to recruit players and form relations with other unit leaders. Did I mention how much my computer at work sucks and won't let me form paragraphs... or how much I love this thread? LOL! ;)

Edited by Grendel408, 21 November 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#102 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

That's one of the things I'm going to do my best to ensure happens, is that except for the basics of advancement in the unit, IF someone wants to advance, or comes to the rank honestly, and actually desires to maintain or improve their position, they shouldn't really have much to worry about. Even though I intend to run a MilSim unit -to borrow Grendel's word; thank you-, and I want it to be as accurate as possible with ranks and positions, I don't intend to have it be a second job.

I also hope that part of being in a unit is that a paint scheme and a logo comes with the purchase of the ComStar/MRBC chit and unit approval.

#103 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all from BSI! May your bellies be full, your liquor drank responsibly, and Mechs die before you today! :D

#104 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

Tonight's news about the state of MWO, and its future, was both disturbing and refreshing for me. I write about it in my latest Armageddon Unlimited blog post, here! What do you guys think about all of this?

#105 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

I did not wish everyone here a Merry Christmas the other day, and for that I apologize. I consider this to be my most important thread, ever, on MWO, and as such I should have taken better care.

I'm still very curious about receiving answers from other Merc Corps Commanders about command and how you deal with certain issues, as from my OP...

View PostKay Wolf, on 21 October 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I do not seem to have the ability to make polls, for whatever reason, so I thought I would ask this here...

How do you, as a Merc Corps Commander, manage your ranks and positions?

POLL
1) It doesn’t matter, we don’t have a structure (we’re all just MechWarrior’s here), we just play.

2) We have a very minimal structure (Commander, XO, MechWarrior’s), and whomever contributes adds to our unit.

3) We have a moderate structure (Commander, XO, Company Commander’s, Lance Leader’s, MechWarrior’s), and place whomever is willing to do the job, or has shown an aptitude for a job (web site maintainer, forum moderator, Lance Leader, Training Officer, etc.), to the job.

4) We have a fairly decent rank structure (Colonel, Lieutenant, Sergeant, Corporal, etc.), but it’s very loose, like the moderate structure listed, but we’re a bit more careful with our positions; no one gets a job unless they show us they can do it.

5) We have a well-developed rank and positions structure, people needing to prove themselves to get into positions, but it’s mostly loose, a showing for the lore, and we’re just here to have fun; the rest is meh.

6) We have a great rank and positions structure, people need to earn their way into ranks and/or positions, but we’re relatively generous with the requirements. We’re here to play and have fun, but we also want some modicum of organization and respect, and earning rank and/or positions is a great way to display that.

7) The “real-world” military looks to us for organization, it’s not just about a showing for the lore, we take this pretty seriously.

BODY
I’m writing this out of curiosity of how other unit Commander’s feel it’s best to run their merc unit. How do you think, from anything you’ve read so far, that Community Warfare, Phase One, for Merc Corps’, will stack up to how you do business? Also, how do you think CW is going to make you change the way you do business?

Please keep it civil, this is just a discussion? Thank you <S>.

If I could ask a moderator to edit this post and turn it into a poll, please, I would be grateful. Thank you.

I also believe there's more that could be spoken of, here, but I'm afraid to list any more of the things I am doing for Armageddon Unlimited; rather, I'm hoping to learn more about what y'all do, so I might be able to improve on the things I do.

Anyway, in case I don't see anything in this thread before the New Year, let me wish you a Happy one, and I'll see you, then.

OH, and if you wish to see what's going on with Armageddon Unlimited, receive updates, you can go to my profile, and either click on my Facebook page link for the unit, or just keep up with my updates, there.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 26 December 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#106 Mordale

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,008 posts
  • Locationon some backwater rock of a planet

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

3 and 6 for us
Posted Image

#107 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostMordale, on 26 December 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

3 and 6 for us
Those two are pretty much night and day, though; how do you carry on such a disparate structure? Or, are the Praetorian Legion still attempting to find a center when it comes to rank and positions?

#108 Moku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

My unit is probably around 3. Dude you scare me with your courses. Officers and ranks by merit doesn't mean they'll have your back or like how you operate or what you do. Your true gaming buddies will be with you no matter what and it doesn't matter if they're the best officers or most unreliable.

Moku 10SR

#109 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Do you have a particular culture in your 10th SR?

#110 Moku

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm generally relaxed, pretty quiet, and no nonsense unless I'm goofing off. It just depends who's in the room. We got chatty players, mutes, and that guy or the droproom jerks. I rely on officers to lance lead and play while I do most of the usual backend stuff. I do set the calm and pg-13 environment since that's the way I prefer to game plus some have their kids around them.

#111 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Okay, so you might classify your culture as in the now. Armageddon Unlimited has a history, 30 real-world years tabletop for me as of this coming November, and 16 real-world years online as of this past September. That history is checkered, at best, but it's a history, nonetheless. Our culture is one of burgeoning honor, of not having just anyone who can push buttons in the BattleGrid to give orders, but of Officers and Lance Leaders who understand what our goals both on and off the battlefield are, of having "grown up" in our culture, and it's going to matter when future elements of this game are released.

I have, time-and-time again, appointed people into positions, due to their real-world KSAs, or my own observations, or even the recommendations of others, into positions where they later proved they most definitely didn't belong. I'm sure I've left people behind that did belong there, and that was a mistake, too. Over 16 years of getting hammered over stupid ****, I've finally come to the point where only those willing to earn their way up, much as I have, can get there; but they CAN get there, and these programs you're scared of are not all that onerous. First, NO ONE is required to do them, and people can still be breveted into positions, or they can earn their way up over the long-term, through time in position. Second, none of these are long, and anyone who thinks so should probably see what sort of business college puts you through, first. I have not developed a course longer than 25 full-size pages, they are all easy to read, and they're equally easy to pass. The difference is that it shows a willingness to try, a willingness to work within the structure, and to make sure ONLY those who are willing to do so can make it into positions of authority, rather than living in the spotlight of the unit.

A LOT of people disagree with the way I do things, but frankly I'm not interested in having those not willing to earn their way in charge of mowing my lawn, let alone dealing with resources I may be required to manage, that THEIR mismanagement might cause the destruction of AU if not handled properly. Many people come to the game ONLY to play, but if they want to be part of a unit, or just a group of friends, someone has to lead, and people like to be lead in most instances. All units have rules, boundaries you can't cross -like the pg 13 stuff you mentioned- that are set and need to be followed by those who are part of the unit. I don't REQUIRE that ANYONE does ANYTHING in AU, unless they want to reach for the brass ring, and then they need to earn it. The brevet assignments allow someone to hold rank and/or position without having to do any of those things, but they also don't get the bonuses, other fun things to do. If they want more than a breveted position, if they want something more, like Company or Battalion commander, they will either be breveted to the higher position when needs of the unit dictate, or they can participate in the unit and complete the various ED OPPS we have available, and that continue to be developed.

The culture of AU is one of immersion in the BattleTech universe, as I understand it, and as those who will come later to modify our programs and help us move more deeply into the universe, understand it.

Does that clarify my position at all?

Edited by Kay Wolf, 27 December 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#112 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

BUMP! I would still LOVE to hear from various commanders about how they run their mercenary units.

#113 Asaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

C4 runs very much like your type 4. However we don't put a lot of importance on ranks. Ranks are there mainly to provide some minor sense of structure for new members and as a recognition/reward for being a "good" member. Our unit predates MWO so most of the senior officers are founding members.

All members of C4 start as privates and after about a month of being a consistent active member their rank is bumped to corporal. The rank of corporal is where most members stay.

The next bump up to sergeant comes based on either a request by the member for a lance lead or by award of the CO's based on an individuals hard work for the unit. Although no one is forced to rank up if they don't want the responsibility.

Our next rank is sergeant major and is our NCO. This rank is for members who are looking to take on added responsibility for helping run the unit. This rank is awarded by the CO's based on individual merit and is a stepping stone to being a senior officer.

All ranks above this are restricted to founding members and to those of the newer members that demonstrate extraordinary skill and commitment to C4. The senior officers can nominate any member that has risen to the rank of sergeant major but the final call will rest exclusively with CO's and must be a unanimous decision to be approved.

We do try and have most of the major decisions about the unit voted on by the senior officers however most of the time they just let the CO's make the call. We pride ourselves on having a no "drama" unit. This setup may not work for every unit but so far this has worked out pretty well for us. We've had no major issues with the unit to date and I'm hopping to keep it that way. :rolleyes:

Hope you found that helpful.

Asaru

Edited by Asaru, 27 March 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#114 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

It sounds to me like you have the right group of people running this thing. I have not yet considered -though there are founding members who are no longer with AU- making it so someone CAN become a founding member. I've always just gone with a military-appropriate rank structure, and have people earn it so there is no drama about whether they made it or not.

I'm taking notes, however. My original intent with AU was to have it so rank was also, as you said, something to give some modicum of structure, and not something hard-pressed; I guess we succeeded in that way to a certain point, but not as well as I would like.

I really like how you guys have things set up; thank you for sharing that with me.

#115 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

Serious question here, do you guys still try hard as much at "running your units", with the current state of the game, people dwindling away from units (after reading numerous posts from other unit groups it seems to be the case) or have you gone for a minimally viable unit, and are awaiting features, ie launch module, community warfware etc etc before wasting any more time on it?

#116 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Truth be told, that's why I'm not intent to reboot fully until we see what the Launch Module is going to do for the game. This is based off the Command Chair about Association and the general plan PGI have, right now which, honestly, seems to be right on track, now. It is my belief that, if PGI carries through between now and April 29th, with the Launch Module and fixes to HSR server-side, etc., as Russ was talking about on NGNG Podcast 105, and the marketing he's proposing takes place, a good deal of the population will be back.

Caveat: If PGI offers another sale at that time, any marketing they perform WILL FAIL THIS GAME!

Now, what they're doing with the Launch Module, if it works even remotely as advertised, and their non-sale -HIGHLY ADVISED- marketing works, the population will return for a longer period of time than with the Centurion/'Mechbay giveaway, perhaps far longer and, if the Launch Module is the gateway to Community Warfare: Phase One (Association), which is well over a year past due, then there will be a LOT more people coming back. Now, it's been hinted at that the March 31st server migration will have an accompanying time period most likely featuring Clan 'Mech play -though that's not been confirmed to the best of my knowledge-, during a time when Europe will be most likely to be playing. Russ and Bryan have already expressed a couple of times that negotiations for servers in Europe -IIRC- have been under way... perhaps part of the migration is activating those servers -don't quote me on that, I can't remember the instances where I've seen that.

If they get Europe services up and running, and get Clan play in for not only Europe but for those willing to stay up here in the States, that would be one hell of a coup for them, and then when the server/database migration is completed and the follow-on updates, as well, that would go a LONG way toward restoring some faith for PGI.

I know there are a lot of ifs, in here, and I know I'm bordering, again, on white knight status but, yes, I will continue on as if this game will become the viable command and control platform I believe it will turn out to be. I believe the maps, the 'Mechs, the game modes, the contract and objective-based game-play (static and dynamic structures), will continue to flourish, that once Community Warfare is complete by the end of this year, along with Role Warfare, other things will begin to be placed in the game, it will continue to grow, and we will finally get what we want.

If these things happen, the community will not only return, because this is what 90% of the community has wanted from the beginning, but we will see this community explode.

#117 Asaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

I can't speak for every unit on MWO but C4 has been steadily growing over the last several months. Last month was one of our busiest with 13 recruits.

We are primarily a casual group so its not unusual for members to take breaks do to real life issues but so far for every one person "taking a break" I've gotten two recruits looking to join up.

Last year (February 2013) we started actively recruiting and went from about 8-10 members to over 90 today. I find that sometimes when units start recruiting they go for numbers instead of really focusing on doing a good job making new recruits feel apart of the unit. True comradery and strong social bonds go a long way towards keeping players coming back even when content in scarce.

Edited by Asaru, 28 March 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#118 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:58 AM

Zulu-6 currently is somewhere in between 2 and 3. Rank/responsability is mostly attributed based on the willingness/ability/time a member has to spend on unit related activities that go beyond shooting big stompy mechs.

During drops if a corporal is better at calling our 12-mans than a major, the corporal will make the calls.

#119 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostAsaru, on 27 March 2014 - 09:41 PM, said:

I can't speak for every unit on MWO but C4 has been steadily growing over the last several months. Last month was one of our busiest with 13 recruits.

We are primarily a casual group so its not unusual for members to take breaks do to real life issues but so far for every one person &quot;taking a break&quot; I've gotten two recruits looking to join up.

Last year (February 2013) we started actively recruiting and went from about 8-10 members to over 90 today. I find that sometimes when units start recruiting they go for numbers instead of really focusing on doing a good job making new recruits feel apart of the unit. True comradery and strong social bonds go a long way towards keeping players coming back even when content in scarce.

Excellent point!

Like in real life situations, while a shared uniform is a key and critical Mark of Distinction, when it really comes down to it, it is the guy or gal serving next to you in he foxhole (Drop) that you are ultimately there for and is central to the reason you'll be back on the same bat-channel (Speaking of TS3, here) same bat-time, tomorrow!

#120 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

Colonel Slide, of ARMD, brought it to my attention, and I'm grateful he has, that the recent posting concerning Unit Creation in MWO mentioned that Commanders would be able to click on the Faction tab in the MWO interface, and be able to begin forming their unit. I don't have to tell you that the potential for abuse in this instance is terrifying, where Commanders that have been building up their unit lore and identity for a few weeks up to two decades, now, might lose their identity due to a troll. It's crap, it's unacceptable, and I agree with the Colonel that we should be making complaints, whether through the developers PMs, emails, twitter, reddit, etc., or through the support@mwomercs.com email addy.

Slide has built a wonderful letter, but I'll let him post it, since it's his work, if he chooses to do so.

I will be sending one or more letters, later, about this subject, as I'm supposed to be on playing any minute, now, and I've not even begun dinner for myself.

<S>

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users