330 replies to this topic

#21 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Locust legs. Dear mechajebus, please fix their legs!!!

Battlemaster cockpit. It's almost as bad as the broken Atlas's were.

Dragon arms. It might be my imagination, but I think the Dragon arm hitbox is slightly larger than the geometry. Either that, or their internals are slightly wonky etc.

Edited by Arcturious, 30 October 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#22 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Okay. Fair enough, this is consistent communication, patches and content have been good, feedback has all been good. I know that this stuff takes time, effort and energy but it makes a difference and is appreciated. Metacritic score bumped, Overlord package purchased, I trust you to deliver on your promises. Due props, thank you.

#23 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostHeffay, on 30 October 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Notice to all Spider pilots: Get your mechs mastered in the next 3 weeks! :D

Done!

It didnt take a magic 8ball to see this was coming and that when it did spiders would be impacted the most. This isn't a bad thing unless you ran spiders only because they were broken.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 30 October 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#24 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

ty paul for the heads up and the post

As to the above.. One, none of the guys you see in spiders are going to be mastering it..
Second, any real spider pilots mastered theirs when it came out.
3, the era of spiders ended a few weeks ago.

Cant wait till its "fixed", no guilt, just death by spider.

#25 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Who.... Gives a damn about Spiders !
I need to get Locust mastered ASAP !!
My Locust sense is tingling.. *PGI probably to screw it up again. :lol:

#26 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostSymbiodinium, on 30 October 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

As has been elegantly stated by Carrioncrows in his thread, most of the hitboxes could use some work. Beyond fixing the ones that are obviously problematic, though, a general shift of hitboxes to shrink the CT, even slightly, would generally be good for the game. Good game design involves having meaningful decisions for players, and smaller CTs would have several side effects:

1) Reducing the draw/strength of high-alpha play as it's more difficult to rapidly punch through the CT, especially in larger mechs.
2 ) A smaller CT means larger side torsos, making XL engines less attractive, so more mechs would run standard engines, creating more interesting choices and variety in mech design.
3) More standard engines means less weight for weapons, and therefore lower alphas.
4) More standard engines would mean larger mechs would tend to be slower, enhancing the difference in speed between size classes, especially heavies vs. mediums, promoting more diverse mech classes.
5) More interesting fights with more decisions and diverse tactics. Instead of simply aiming for the CT and ignoring the rest of the mech it may be a better tactic to de-arm/torso the enemy first. You see this now with Atlases: they very rarely run XLs but have relatively large side torsos already, which are often targeted to defang the mech before finishing it.

(And forgive me if CC or others have covered this!)

Changing CT won't have as much impact on "de-arm"ing a mech as you think. It's basically NEVER worth it to go for the arm, and a smaller CT would only make that more so since the new, larger side torsos are better targets. Changes to hit boxes and then changes to durability for various components would do what you, and many of us, are looking for. I'd like to see more Internal Health so that you're more likely to survive with broken weapons, JJ's, heat sinks, BAP/ECM, etc while also giving some reason to take out an arm before a CT/Side Torso.

#27 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

If there's any real justice all light mechs will be given Spider hitboxes...but I doubt that will happen:)

#28 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostJoe Decker, on 30 October 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Jenner Front and Back Center Armor needs Investigation. Locust Legs. Awesome Center Torso. Jagermech Side Torso. Catapult Cockpit and Center Torso. And so on.

I was thinking of the Mechs I would like to see get a little love. The Catapult was my first thought. Seems spongy lately.
Definately Raven Legs.
And this gentlemans list seems pretty accurate to my experience.

#29 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostAym, on 30 October 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

Changing CT won't have as much impact on "de-arm"ing a mech as you think. It's basically NEVER worth it to go for the arm, and a smaller CT would only make that more so since the new, larger side torsos are better targets. Changes to hit boxes and then changes to durability for various components would do what you, and many of us, are looking for. I'd like to see more Internal Health so that you're more likely to survive with broken weapons, JJ's, heat sinks, BAP/ECM, etc while also giving some reason to take out an arm before a CT/Side Torso.

There definitely needs to be some tweaks to hitboxes, but I think the much bigger issue is how weapons do damage. Lasers, LRMs, MGs and (S)SRMs are all good, but autocannons and (ER)PPCs are the big offenders - they are what cause people to complain about pinpoint damage. Autocannons need to be like large bore MGs, firing a stream of shells that do an equivalent amount of damage over the current cooldown duration - AC5s should do five damage over 2.25 seconds, for example. PPCs should do the same damage, but that damage should be spread like an LBX or SRM is. These changes would drastically help increase TTL for everyone.

Then, having crits to actuators actually cause loss of arm/leg movement, slowed movement, etc and gyro hits cause falling and/or aiming issues, targeting certain body parts would be more worthwhile, instead of the current CT tunnel vision.

#30 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Does that include checking in on hit detection? You mentionned a few AtDs ago that SRMs and LRMs weren't registering correctly... anything new to tell us about this?

#31 Symbiodinium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostAym, on 30 October 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

I generally agree with you. CT doesn't have enough armor/internal structure relative to limbs and side torsos. The arms combined usually have as much armor as the CT. I don't see them changing that, though. Just changing the hitboxes to shrink the CT would help.

#32 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

Awesome news, thank you!

#33 Rashkae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thank goodness, then maybe now I won't need to look for Kryptonite just to hit a spider.

PGI, on a related note, when will you fix the "invisible walls" / terrain clipping issues? You know, those many lovely times when you can see a mech (for example, Frozen City, southern cave exit) but your shots are magically blocked by an invisible extension of the cave even though you can see the mech and he can see you just fine?

#34 GreyGhost

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hunchback!

I used to love the hunch, but you don't see them much anymore. And the reason why is because it's too easy to loose your hunch. The Hunch, (my friends tell me) is suppose to use CT armor, not side torso armor. That said, even with CT armor, do something so the hunch isn't ripped off so easy. Maybe give it some kind of extra ghost armor as a chassis quirk? You mentioned in other places making certain mechs have certain quirks, and giving the hunch some sort of ghost armor on the hunch itself (and nowhere else) would be a good quirk for that chassis.

Maybe NOT give said quirk on the 4sp, since it's a dual missle mini hunch thing.

What you might want to do is make the hunch a whole extra segment, since I knwo the timberwolf is coming, and we really, really want you to make it so you can shoot off the ears without losing a whole side torso. Being ready so the timberwolf doesn't suck in hit boxes is something many many of us really really want you to do.

#35 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

#sadspiders
#happyawesomes/orions

light mechs in general will so MAD after this. possibly cent pilots as well... oh well who need medium mechs anyway?

#36 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Start with something that can only get better, like the awesome and spider.

#37 Morquedeas

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 55 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

First thing on my wish list, please change the Cataphracts uppermost "arm" segment to count as an arm hitbox instead of side torso. It makes torso twisting to avoid main body damage nearly pointless because the upper "arm" is so easy to hit from the side. I think this is really hampering the Cataphracts ability to brawl, thus reducing the viability of the non-3D variants.

Heres to hopeful thinking, my fingers are crossed.

#38 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

I hope this is true but lately there has been band-**** in place of where there should be tourniquets. But lets just sit and wait because in truth that is all we can do.

#39 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

If the Locust and Raven leg hitboxes were not larger than the physical model, I would be sooo happy.

Edited by FupDup, 30 October 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#40 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

As long as you fix the CT issues as described by Carrioncrows. Specifically the crotch/pelvis area of the mech being the CT/RT instead of being split between the legs.

I also appreciate you going back and revisiting his question in Ask the Devs 49. That's a huge morale boost for me in particular. Also I think it's almost unanimous that everyone wants to see Carrioncrows Awesome mech hitboxes. They literally look spot on and would go a long way towards making the mech more viable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users