215 replies to this topic

#161 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 09 November 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

All I see here is Crys about energy weapons not on a boating assault won't let me alpha enough and I can't put an ac20 or millions of missiles on it, QQ this hero won't fit my unimaginative max out the alpha damage play style...

people its a catapult that has six energy hard points with heavy armor and goes up to 90kph, sure it has the same ct/head problems as every other catapult but it has speed if you don't play it like a face humping brawler and use your speed to pick your targets and there won't be a problem.

A 90kp/h oversized Jenner is all it ends up being. It is simply inferior to other 60/65 ton options and I dare say the Flame - which is unpopular because the Dragon's overall chassis is horrible - would utterly work this thing in the same tonnage range, let alone the Quickdraw.

The bottom line is you can cry "unimaginative play style" but this thing is less effective than a Shadow Hawk for 10 tons more weight at the end of the day. I will also always find wanting a 'mech that is.. gasp.. at least as good as other 'mechs in it's class.

Now if Ghost Heat was gone and we could run 4 LL on it without macros, well then.... I guess it would be kind of good at that at least.

EDIT: Also again we have VERY few missile/ballistic 'mechs in that weight range that don't have huge flaws (CT missiles, narc ports, etc.) If they had made it a split between a C1 and a K2, it'd been really unique and worthwhile by comparison. Nothing to do with "maxed out builds."

Edited by Victor Morson, 09 November 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#162 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 09 November 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

A 90kp/h oversized Jenner is all it ends up being. It is simply inferior to other 60/65 ton options and I dare say the Flame - which is unpopular because the Dragon's overall chassis is horrible - would utterly work this thing in the same tonnage range, let alone the Quickdraw.

The bottom line is you can cry "unimaginative play style" but this thing is less effective than a Shadow Hawk for 10 tons more weight at the end of the day. I will also always find wanting a 'mech that is.. gasp.. at least as good as other 'mechs in it's class.

Now if Ghost Heat was gone and we could run 4 LL on it without macros, well then.... I guess it would be kind of good at that at least.

EDIT: Also again we have VERY few missile/ballistic 'mechs in that weight range that don't have huge flaws (CT missiles, narc ports, etc.) If they had made it a split between a C1 and a K2, it'd been really unique and worthwhile by comparison. Nothing to do with "maxed out builds."

While I do generally agree, all I gotta say is don't buy/play it then, and we all know there a plenty other mechs that are far worse choices like the rarely seen non 7m trebs and non ecm or hero cicadas. At least the jester is somewhat useable.

I'm a light fanatic but if the apparently upcoming hero Jenner fails to impress me I will simply pass on it and wait however long until other hero lights come out.

#163 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

I think I'm mostly saying that it'd be nice if they'd actually do so some communication with teams that understand the game if they don't understand it themselves before designing any 'mechs.

I highly, highly doubt it was their intention to make the Shadow Hawk the best thing in Project Phoenix, and far and away superior to both Saber reinforcements, for example.

We've gotten several bum heroes and several great ones, but they all feel like the work of someone throwing random slots into a 'mech and either getting lucky, or not getting lucky. It's a larger problem.

#164 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

So, the vast majority of what I see in this post is people talking bad about extremely viable builds, due to the fact they don't promote the boat, except where mediums are involved. What's funny is that you talk about the game like you know what is going on, yet you don't realize the potential of a 6 med-pulse jump capable mech that's able to effectively brawl in the open mid-close ranges that can effectively ignore LRM's and/or help a teammate ignore them with dual AMS(which also happens to be pretty damn good streak protection, too). In addition, due to the weight of the chassis, it actually has the potential to outperform the the BJ energy variant--a variant I score in the range of 300--700 damage with, with a few exceptionally high 800-1000+ damage games where the map permits.

For those of you complaining about the pult's armor, it has more than enough to do it's job (certainly more than the BJ), and for those of you that haven't realized this yet--having a huge CT is a GREAT thing. Why? Because it means you can put an XL engine in there with 0 worry that's the right choice, in addition to all the benefits that entails in the weapons and sinks departments. Does this also mean that it sucks at the slow brawl just like the dragon once you do? Hell. Freaking. Yes. But for people with half a brain that realize this is more of an assault-through-the-lines mech or sniper (just like the dragon) than a true brawler(which is the case with every mech with an XL engine in it barring lights and/or the Awesome[another woefully understood mech]), I'll bet you'll find that a dual-ER large laser four meds build is quite good, along with the all med pulse build.

You know how I know that? Because *EVERY* mech capable of those builds has been good in my experience. Further, you could also run a dual/tri large pulse build that can chainfire those things into oblivion and everyone knows how well those do, even if you think the others suck.

If you have problems with a mech like this, you need to look in the mirror because that's a lack of your capabilities--not the mechs. Especially so in this instance, as this mech basically doubles the armor points of anything it's standing next to while missiles are being shot at it... that cant be disabled by PPC's or TAGs.

#165 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostNamerof, on 10 November 2013 - 04:11 AM, said:

So, the vast majority of what I see in this post is people talking bad about extremely viable builds, due to the fact they don't promote the boat

The current meta is AC/5s + PPC, which can hardly qualify as "boating." There are no extremely viable builds for the Jester at present time. There are literally several 'mechs that are more effective per-ton at the energy role. Much of this has to do with the ridiculous 2 cap on Large Lasers; it just can't carry enough firepower to compete.

If the Ghost Heat Large Laser limit got buffed to 4 tonight, the Jester would upgrade to.. one of the alright heroes. Not one of the great ones. That's because the only config you could effectively run on it (4 large lasers) you can also jam 'mechs in the weight range, like the recommended Quickdraw, and get better results.

, except where mediums are involved. What's funny is that you talk about the game like you know what is going on, yet you don't realize the potential of a 6 med-pulse jump capable mech

The second you suggest a 65 ton 'mech with 6 MPLs, a weapon known for being lackluster in all but the smallest of quantities, says precisely how much you know about game mechanics yourself man. I'm sorry but that's an awful loadout.

Keep in mind that Jaggermechs in that range are sporting twin AC/20s, missiles, etc. Even the Firebrand proves to be a far, far superior hero to the Jester due to high mounted arms and the ability to carry typical ballistic loadouts.

If you have problems with a mech like this, you need to look in the mirror because that's a lack of your capabilities--not the mechs. Especially so in this instance, as this mech basically doubles the armor points of anything it's standing next to while missiles are being shot at it... that cant be disabled by PPC's or TAGs.

I've got to be blunt here, everything you said has absolutely zero tactical merit right down to the fact the Catapult's problems is the arm/head hitboxes, not the CT hitbox.

As for 2 ER Large, 4 meds? You can get one laser shy of that on a 50 tonner without heat problems. In fact, you could probably run that on a Blackjack effectively. And it's not even very good on them. Running it on a 65 tonner is silly and if you really wanted to, I believe there's several superior options for it.

Just remember: For 5 more tons you could be in a Cataphract with three times the firepower. For 5 tons less you could be in an equally speedy 'mech with also superior firepower.

EDIT: I am serious though, 1 ballistic slot on this thing = would 180 it and fix the design entirely.

Edited by Victor Morson, 10 November 2013 - 06:02 AM.

#166 Blacke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 238 posts
  • Location3rd Takata Lancers

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostNRP, on 08 November 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Compete how? In an overheat-a-thon?

The Jester runs hot enough as it is.

Heat ,management is not the problem. If you are smart you can manage your heat. it is the lack of DPS along with that heat management. There are plenty of 4P builds that do 600 to 800 damage a match without shuttingdown all the time. I do it with a slightly modified 9 ML build and have done it with a 2 LL and 6 ML build. I see others do the same thing all the time in my match brackets.

With the Jester you are either limited to 6 ML or 2 LL and 4 ML which both are manageable heat wise but falls short in the DPS department. This means the Jester will always lose in a quick brawl and it is not a heavy brawler. So right now you have to play it more like a light with hit and run tactics but it is huge with a massive CT and head hit box.

#167 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

All I can think about when I kill a Jester!

#168 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 09 November 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Garth, I realized you designed this hard point setup now. I also realize you're the guy who didn't know when the Ghost Heat limitations kicked in and how, and don't really play the game much. That's why I need to regretfully inform you that every single configuration you just listed is terrible, by any standards, casual or competitive.

Apparently Victor does not watch the NGNG Twitch streams, or he would know how well Garth plays and can shred other mechs with his all-energy Cicada 2A. He may not be in the "competitive" arena, but honestly, very few are anyways. There are millions that love to play golf, but the professional competitors number maybe in the thousands. Is every golf club that you buy at a basic sporting goods store professional grade? No, and I'm sure they do just fine with their sales volume without stocking Mizuno, TaylorMade and Callaway.

I'm enjoying my Jester with 2 PPCs for long-range pop-tarting/ridge-humping, just like the pros, and 4 MPLs for short-range shredding (MPLs are temporary to use up extra tonnage until I can upgrade the engine and swap to MLs). I try my best to stay out of short-range engagements, but you know, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...even pros find themselves at under 90m engagements, which negates half their firepower with the current meta of 2 PPCs and 2 AC/UAC5s.

#169 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostSarsaparilla Kid, on 10 November 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Apparently Victor does not watch the NGNG Twitch streams, or he would know how well Garth plays and can shred other mechs with his all-energy Cicada 2A. He may not be in the "competitive" arena, but honestly, very few are anyways.

Cicada-2As are not really used in 12-man, Jenners are. Even then, Garth can shoot... but has no deeper understanding of this game because there's a whole lot of other mechs that he really doesn't understand correctly. At best, he's just going to promote the new mech because it is his job, despite contrary to popular belief. The original Kintaro hitboxes were one of them... until PGI itself admitted that it had to address its hitboxes, most likely due to poor GB/KTO sales.

Edited by Deathlike, 10 November 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#170 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 10 November 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

The current meta is AC/5s + PPC, which can hardly qualify as "boating." There are no extremely viable builds for the Jester at present time. There are literally several 'mechs that are more effective per-ton at the energy role. Much of this has to do with the ridiculous 2 cap on Large Lasers; it just can't carry enough firepower to compete.

If the Ghost Heat Large Laser limit got buffed to 4 tonight, the Jester would upgrade to.. one of the alright heroes. Not one of the great ones. That's because the only config you could effectively run on it (4 large lasers) you can also jam 'mechs in the weight range, like the recommended Quickdraw, and get better results.

The second you suggest a 65 ton 'mech with 6 MPLs, a weapon known for being lackluster in all but the smallest of quantities, says precisely how much you know about game mechanics yourself man. I'm sorry but that's an awful loadout.

Keep in mind that Jaggermechs in that range are sporting twin AC/20s, missiles, etc. Even the Firebrand proves to be a far, far superior hero to the Jester due to high mounted arms and the ability to carry typical ballistic loadouts.

I've got to be blunt here, everything you said has absolutely zero tactical merit right down to the fact the Catapult's problems is the arm/head hitboxes, not the CT hitbox.

As for 2 ER Large, 4 meds? You can get one laser shy of that on a 50 tonner without heat problems. In fact, you could probably run that on a Blackjack effectively. And it's not even very good on them. Running it on a 65 tonner is silly and if you really wanted to, I believe there's several superior options for it.

Just remember: For 5 more tons you could be in a Cataphract with three times the firepower. For 5 tons less you could be in an equally speedy 'mech with also superior firepower.

EDIT: I am serious though, 1 ballistic slot on this thing = would 180 it and fix the design entirely.

1: If you think that's the current meta, maybe you should rank up your ELO a bit because I can tell you that in the higher level matches, literally every weapon gets used--even LRMs--which is actually most surprising as everyone at that point knows how to avoid them.

2: Literally all those builds are viable. I know because I've used them and done plenty well with them.

3: You can run a 3-4 large laser build just fine, you just can't alpha with them, which is also fine because your dps is through the roof.

4: Is the quickdraw better at 3? Probably. Does it get impunity to missiles in an open field brawl like the jester does? No. Does the quickdraw transfer that impunity to every mech within 90m or while positioning itself proximal to, or in the path of missile boats? No.

5: Mpulses lackluster? They're one of the most effective weapons in the game, especially with the current state of the HSR. I even wrote a whole post about them and srms where I experimented and the results show them to currently be one of the best weapon choices you can make.

6: You're just talking out of your butt now because I pilot mediums almost exclusively and I can tell you they are definitely not stable running that many lasers(at least without making serious sacrifices to speed), especially the BJ. That being said, the energy variant of the BJ tears **** up with 6 Mpulse's if you know how to in and out brawl--and the jester is even better than it.

7: Cataphracts have more applied firepower potential than most everything in the game so that's not really a valid point. Further, they don't get dual ams making their brawling more risky, have low slung weapons which make them ****** hill peakers(except for ppc builds in the torso mounts), more prone to getting side torsi blown off making them worse at running builds that require an XL engine, tend to turn more slowly, and have a harder time applying the vast majority of their damage potential (mostly ballistic) against lights and fast mediums. In addition, due to their loadouts they are more prone to being popped early as even if you only store ammo in your legs, when the ammo explodes it's going into the similar sided torso, which can easily crit the XL engine the majority of these high damage cata's you're espousing will be running in order to carry that higher damage.

8: 0 Tactical merit? Good luck headshotting a catapult while it's circle strafing you or sniping while jumpjetting. You make me laugh.

9: Jeagermechs, in my experience, are much easier to kill than catapults, especially the ones that try to brawl. AC/40's especially. All you have to do for those is munch one, and then pop off one of their side torsos in that time. If you can't, JJ and they'll hit something other than what they hit the first time at near best, and then you land and focus that same spot while their HUGE duration between shots takes place. The only time those become even remotely dangerous is when you are brawling with other mechs and then suddenly start eating that much damage, or at the end of the round where even a duck farting in your general direction can pop you. As a result, most intelligent people just primary jeagers and then go back to business as usual, or put themselves in a position where range will make an ac/20 shot tickle at worst. Which, for all you people that like to shoot AC/20's past 500--don't. When you hit me you do literally 2-3 damage (if that), which at 7 rounds a ton is a waste.

#171 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostNamerof, on 10 November 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

1: If you think that's the current meta, maybe you should rank up your ELO a bit because I can tell you that in the higher level matches, literally every weapon gets used--even LRMs--which is actually most surprising as everyone at that point knows how to avoid them.

LOL

2: Literally all those builds are viable. I know because I've used them and done plenty well with them.

LOL

3: You can run a 3-4 large laser build just fine, you just can't alpha with them, which is also fine because your dps is through the roof.

LOL!

4: Is the quickdraw better at 3? Probably. Does it get impunity to missiles in an open field brawl like the jester does? No. Does the quickdraw transfer that impunity to every mech within 90m or while positioning itself proximal to, or in the path of missile boats? No.

5: Mpulses lackluster? They're one of the most effective weapons in the game, especially with the current state of the HSR. I even wrote a whole post about them and srms where I experimented and the results show them to currently be one of the best weapon choices you can make.

LOL!

6: You're just talking out of your butt now because I pilot mediums almost exclusively and I can tell you they are definitely not stable running that many lasers(at least without making serious sacrifices to speed), especially the BJ. That being said, the energy variant of the BJ tears **** up with 6 Mpulse's if you know how to in and out brawl--and the jester is even better than it.

LOL!

7: Cataphracts have more applied firepower potential than most everything in the game so that's not really a valid point. Further, they don't get dual ams making their brawling more risky, have low slung weapons which make them ****** hill peakers(except for ppc builds in the torso mounts), more prone to getting side torsi blown off making them worse at running builds that require an XL engine, tend to turn more slowly, and have a harder time applying the vast majority of their damage potential (mostly ballistic) against lights and fast mediums. In addition, due to their loadouts they are more prone to being popped early as even if you only store ammo in your legs, when the ammo explodes it's going into the similar sided torso, which can easily crit the XL engine the majority of these high damage cata's you're espousing will be running in order to carry that higher damage.

LOL!!

8: 0 Tactical merit? Good luck headshotting a catapult while it's circle strafing you or sniping while jumpjetting. You make me laugh.

LOL!!!

9: Jeagermechs, in my experience, are much easier to kill than catapults, especially the ones that try to brawl. AC/40's especially. All you have to do for those is munch one, and then pop off one of their side torsos in that time. If you can't, JJ and they'll hit something other than what they hit the first time at near best, and then you land and focus that same spot while their HUGE duration between shots takes place. The only time those become even remotely dangerous is when you are brawling with other mechs and then suddenly start eating that much damage, or at the end of the round where even a duck farting in your general direction can pop you. As a result, most intelligent people just primary jeagers and then go back to business as usual, or put themselves in a position where range will make an ac/20 shot tickle at worst. Which, for all you people that like to shoot AC/20's past 500--don't. When you hit me you do literally 2-3 damage (if that), which at 7 rounds a ton is a waste.

-_-

In all seriousness all I can tell you is that everything you know is wrong.

Edited by Victor Morson, 10 November 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#172 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Did some one just use "effective brawler" in reference to a Catapult? If you need me, I'll be over here looking for your credibility.

#173 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 09 November 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

Have you piloted a dragon recently? The slightest attempt at torso twist saves your ct and its not uncommon for my Flame to be the last man standing with only an arm left. The Dragon chassis real problem is anyone who has been on the forums "knows" its an easy kill and you tend to be the first one that gets targeted, even when assaults are moving to facehug range and you are three or four mechs back. Quickdraw I'll agree is terrible

#174 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 05 November 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

[color=cyan]Can you imagine realistic depictions of war?[/color]

Hour 2387213 - we're still on this hill and won't move.

Also Mechs don't exist and are a foolish idea for military vehicles.

If there was a Jenner for the Military using modern weapons it would outperform any tank ever made it isn't a foolish idea it is a good idea. Even Locusts would be useful somewhat. Imagine going 150+ kph unload a few rounds of missles to destroy something then run off while most tanks get stuck or tread fails off or gets damaged also a tank can't jump off a small cliff very far without taking huge damage tried that in WoT's and the tank took enormous damage while a mech shrugs it off and continues on with only minimal damage.

#175 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostZarla, on 11 November 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

If there was a Jenner for the Military using modern weapons it would outperform any tank ever made it isn't a foolish idea it is a good idea. Even Locusts would be useful somewhat. Imagine going 150+ kph unload a few rounds of missles to destroy something then run off while most tanks get stuck or tread fails off or gets damaged also a tank can't jump off a small cliff very far without taking huge damage tried that in WoT's and the tank took enormous damage while a mech shrugs it off and continues on with only minimal damage.

the only real issue is that they can fall over when shot, and generally people don't like it, so you end up with a quad and you do not fall over and you get similar mobility. win.

#176 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Believe me / us on this - mechs are woefully and hilariously impractical in comparison to a tank.

Bigger profiles, more moving parts, legs just as easy if not easier to disable than treads. Top-heavy designs like BT has are even more impractical. If we ever see "mechs" they will be low to the ground and essentially be "tanks with legs" in actuality and not in spirit.

"Legs" do offer a certain mobility advantage particularly in rubble or rough terrain or as you said navigating cliffs and such, but trust us, mechs are hilariously terrible concepts as war machines.

#177 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

If any military built a jenner the people they were attacking would just dig some hidden trenches and laugh when it got stuck.

Isnt it great :D

#178 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 11 November 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

Have you piloted a dragon recently? The slightest attempt at torso twist saves your ct and its not uncommon for my Flame to be the last man standing with only an arm left. The Dragon chassis real problem is anyone who has been on the forums "knows" its an easy kill and you tend to be the first one that gets targeted, even when assaults are moving to facehug range and you are three or four mechs back. Quickdraw I'll agree is terrible

There is definitely a reason I will endorse the Flame. It's rare to see competitively primarily because most people don't want to deal with the other Dragons AND buy a hero Dragon, but the actual 'mech is exceptional. If it was a Cbill based variant, I think WAY more people would own it.

#179 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

The sheer amount of things that can go wrong from something walking at 150kph in a military situation is hilarious and if you think bipedal 'mechs are practical in the real world.... to be honest I suspect even in a couple hundred years the military will probably consist of swarms of networked drones with minimal oversight which I'm pretty sure we can all agree would outright obliterate 'mechs.

Wow we're off topic here!

#180 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

I don't know about half of you but I don't pick the mechs I do because they have an advantage over every other mech.

I pick mechs I like. I make the most out of what that particular mech has to offer. Not because I think its the best.

It seems people will complain about EVERY mech thats released anyway...

I've said it before and I'll say it a million times. The worst thing about MWO is the majority of the community. Don't like it, don't play it. Leave the people who do enjoy it to enjoy it and move on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users