#201 whitelightshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostKaeseblock, on 21 November 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

lol
I hardly get below 400 dmg with my Jester in normal PUG matches - and that's with my 3xPPC + 3xML fun build. With 4xML + 2x ERLL I even reached 791 dmg.

A few tips that might help you to survive longer:
  • you are a mid to long range direct fire support mech
  • never be the first to enter a brawl (stay away from possible brawling areas and support your teammates once the fight has started by shooting at the enemies they target)
  • be careful about your positioning (try not to be the first target your enemies see)
  • never peek around a corner if there might be an enemy on the other side (instead back off a bit and shoot him when he tries to get around the corner) (I regularly fail at this one >.<)
  • use your speed and JJ to get away from enemies that try to get close to you
  • always stay with your teammates (well, that's mandatory anyways ^^)
Edit:
To sum it up: I like my Jester and it's worth every cent I paid for it ^^

I am very well aware of all the pointers you have given. But here is my issue, for some or other reason I can't destroy anything with lasers, it is like shooting blanks. In game I twice hit a Spider, that I caught off guard, with 2xLPulse and 3xM lasers burst and nothing happened. Am I aiming wrong? Do I have Lag issues? I have used every type of laser in the list and it is a waste for me. I don't use PPC for I will repeatedly hit a target with no hits scored, but he can shoot the s..t out of me with his.

The only time I score hits is when I get in real close.

#202 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostF Henning, on 21 November 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I am very well aware of all the pointers you have given. But here is my issue, for some or other reason I can't destroy anything with lasers, it is like shooting blanks. In game I twice hit a Spider, that I caught off guard, with 2xLPulse and 3xM lasers burst and nothing happened. Am I aiming wrong? Do I have Lag issues? I have used every type of laser in the list and it is a waste for me. I don't use PPC for I will repeatedly hit a target with no hits scored, but he can shoot the s..t out of me with his.

A thought - perhaps completely unrelated, perhaps not.

My brother (has no account, but I let him play on mine in the testing ground a few times) utterly despises ballistics.
Cannot hit worth {Scrap} with them (he has played Mech3 and 4, so he was using the testing grounds about like he would have in a match)
Much prefers lasers, with missiles (SRM) as a far distant second, and LRM being somewhere between SRM and ballistics.

I honestly (going by what PGI has tracked for me) seem equally good (or bad depending on the direction you look at it :D) with all 4 weapons.

Could be, that lasers (the bigger ones anyways? B)) just aren't your weapon?
Edit: as a primary weapon I mean.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 21 November 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#203 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 November 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

NO! ....Really!? B)

On a serious note - I feel your pain. :D

Heh... yeah... I swear this thing is a light in disguise..... Though, at 95kph if you take off with the lights on Terra Therma they will reach whatever base and start Capping. You will arrive about 30s-1min behind them. About the time someone comes to try and run off the lights. It is almost always a free kill for me. On the jester my weapons are grouped 2LPL one button and 2 SPL + 2 Flamers the other button. If my opponent runs their heat too high. They are dead. I can shut them down, and pick them to pieces with my Large pulse Lasers. Just move around them, using jump jets to quickly anchor turn when needed and pick off the limbs. Each time they wake from shutdown, burst them with the flamers and then start picking again....

#204 whitelightshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostMacbrea, on 21 November 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Heh... yeah... I swear this thing is a light in disguise..... Though, at 95kph if you take off with the lights on Terra Therma they will reach whatever base and start Capping. You will arrive about 30s-1min behind them. About the time someone comes to try and run off the lights. It is almost always a free kill for me. On the jester my weapons are grouped 2LPL one button and 2 SPL + 2 Flamers the other button. If my opponent runs their heat too high. They are dead. I can shut them down, and pick them to pieces with my Large pulse Lasers. Just move around them, using jump jets to quickly anchor turn when needed and pick off the limbs. Each time they wake from shutdown, burst them with the flamers and then start picking again....

I will give it a try,

Thanx

#205 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

There is a couple of factors with hitting with Lasers. First the spider as had bad hit box for awhile. Discount those, in theory it was fixed last patch.

Now, things about lasers.

Regular and Extended Range Lasers do their damage over 0.6 seconds. So, lets say you're using a Medium Laser that does 5 damage. It actually does 5 damage over 0.6 seconds. This means in order to do 1 damage to armor you have to have it on that section for at least 0.12 seconds. Oddly, I think if you do say 0.08 second on left torso, then 0.08 seconds on center torso, then say 0.09 on the right torso... I don't think that will actually count as any damage at all.

#206 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostMacbrea, on 21 November 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Regular and Extended Range Lasers do their damage over 0.6 seconds. So, lets say you're using a Medium Laser that does 5 damage. It actually does 5 damage over 0.6 seconds. This means in order to do 1 damage to armor you have to have it on that section for at least 0.12 seconds. Oddly, I think if you do say 0.08 second on left torso, then 0.08 seconds on center torso, then say 0.09 on the right torso... I don't think that will actually count as any damage at all.

Regular Large and Medium lasers have a burn time of 1.0 sec
Regular Small have a burn time of 0.5 seconds

Pulse Large and Medium have a burn time of 0.6 seconds
Pulse Small have a burn time of 0.5

ER Large have a burn time of 1.0 sec.

Every laser does damage (aprox. - I am still testing this) every 0.1 second

Edit: If you do not have the laser on them when it ticks that 0.1 second mark - you do no damage
(though it still flashes on their HUD/Paper doll)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 21 November 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#207 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Does a Medium Laser not damage every other .1 seconds? Doing 5 damage over 1 second would mean it would have to do it ever other .1 second in 5 ticks. Or does it have to hold on that part for the entire .2 seconds.

It could explain why some lights are extremely hard to hurt. At 170 kph while circling you trying to hold on 1 small section of the mech for .2 seconds would be almost impossible.

#208 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostMacbrea, on 21 November 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Does a Medium Laser not damage every other .1 seconds? Doing 5 damage over 1 second would mean it would have to do it ever other .1 second in 5 ticks. Or does it have to hold on that part for the entire .2 seconds.

It could explain why some lights are extremely hard to hurt. At 170 kph while circling you trying to hold on 1 small section of the mech for .2 seconds would be almost impossible.

The damage is broken down into 10 equal segments. So each tick it does .5 damage. If you just drag it across a mech, you are only doing a fraction of the total damage.

#209 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostMacbrea, on 21 November 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostHeffay, on 21 November 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

The damage is broken down into 10 equal segments. So each tick it does .5 damage. If you just drag it across a mech, you are only doing a fraction of the total damage.

To clarify on that:
The moment you push the button to fire - the medium laser does 0.5 damage
0.1 second later it does another 0.5 damage
0.1 second later ...so on and so on until it has spent the full 1.0 second burn time.

Edit: that would give:
Small laser: 5 ticks of 0.6 damage each (3 damage over 0.5)
Medium: 10 ticks of 0.5 damage each (5 damage over 1.0)
Large laser: 10 ticks of 0.9 damage each (9 damage over 1.0 same for ER)

I cannot remember the values for the pulses other than large right now >.<
Large Pulse: 6 ticks of 1.7 damage each (and people want it buffed ;))

Edited by Shar Wolf, 21 November 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#210 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 November 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

Regular Large and Medium lasers have a burn time of 1.0 sec
Regular Small have a burn time of 0.5 seconds

Pulse Large and Medium have a burn time of 0.6 seconds
Pulse Small have a burn time of 0.5

ER Large have a burn time of 1.0 sec.

Every laser does damage (aprox. - I am still testing this) every 0.1 second

Edit: If you do not have the laser on them when it ticks that 0.1 second mark - you do no damage
(though it still flashes on their HUD/Paper doll)

Check Smurfy; you are off on a few things.

#211 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 21 November 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

Check Smurfy; you are off on a few things.

Quite possibly, as I have not checked the math on that in a week or so. ;)

#212 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Quite possibly, as I have not checked the math on that in a week or so. ;)

Edit: care to clarify?
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/#weapon_beam

Small laser is the only one I got the duration wrong on.
Burn time .75
Which throws some of my math out the window, but as said, I am still testing.

Edited Edit: where did the quotes come from!?

Edited by Shar Wolf, 21 November 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#213 Obsidian Hand

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCebu City, Philippines

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

I just realized something and needed somewhere to say it.

Jester = LOLcat. :D

That is all. :P

#214 whitelightshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostMacbrea, on 21 November 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Well gave it a try and LOVED it. Once even got 4 kills and 597 damage scored.... Chucked in a Big engine with 2 large range lasers, 3 mediums and played like a runner....
Now I love this darn Mech....
All I need now is a back seat, how do i get a back seat in the darn thing?

#215 Garamanus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • Location260+ Ping, Australia

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostF Henning, on 21 November 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I have a ping from 240 - 290ms and lasers do almost no damage for me. PPCs are inconsistent for damage also.
Ballistics do well, along with LRMs and Streaks.

I want to master all the mechs, but when I see one with just energy points, I just cringe.

Edited by Garamanus, 10 December 2013 - 02:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users