#1 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

Hi there!

I just ordered and installed a new graphics card in order to get an FPS boost. Sadly though, nothing changed. The thing is, that my PC is somewhat high-mid to entry-level-high spec.

But no matter the in-game settings, I hardly crack 30 FPS. I.e. : No matter if things are set to Very High or Low, FPS hardly changes. I am talking about a difference of maybe 5 FPS between Low and very High i.e. 30-35 FPS on average and going down to around 20 FPS occasionally.

My rig though is capable of running BF 3 (Yes, not 4, I do not own 4) and Crysis 3 at ways higher FPS at similar settings. BF 3 even allows Ultra-Settings in Singleplayer, with AA and MS AA activated and never dropping below 50 FPS under load.

My rig is as follows:

HIS R9 270X IceQ X² Turbo (factory OC´ed)
AMD X6 1090T (OC´ed by a tuner to 6x3,6GHZ)
Asus M5A78L LE AMD 760G So.AM3+
SilverStone Strider ST60F-ES 600 Watt Power Suply (Not top-notch, but did receive really good ratings in a number of reviews and enough to power my system)
8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM by G.Skill

Windows 7 64-bit and up-to-date drivers for everything including the motherboard and latest beta-drivers for my graphics card. Very well cooled system as well with the Graphics card not exceeding 57°C under load and after hours of gaming and my CPU tops out at 59°C.

For some reason it seems that only MW:O is unable to get proper FPS out of this system. I am not even expecting VeryHigh-settings to roon smoothly... but at least with low? I mean... more than 30 FPS?

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:40 AM

What resolution are you running?

#3 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostEgomane, on 07 November 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

What resolution are you running?

I am running it at 1920x1080. Single Monitor obviously. :)

#4 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

Ok... that is odd, then! Your system should be more then enough to handle MWO on max settings.

You CPU is powerfull and its frequency high enough to not be the bottleneck. Your GPU is also fine. Your PSU is not the best, as you yourself admit, but it is powerful enough to handle your system, even with overclocking.

Do you have any other programms running in the background while playing MWO?

#5 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:12 AM

View PostEgomane, on 07 November 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Ok... that is odd, then! Your system should be more then enough to handle MWO on max settings.

You CPU is powerfull and its frequency high enough to not be the bottleneck. Your GPU is also fine. Your PSU is not the best, as you yourself admit, but it is powerful enough to handle your system, even with overclocking.

Do you have any other programms running in the background while playing MWO?

Only TeamSpeak and at some points my Browser, but disabling or enabling them does not have a huge impact on FPS.
All I did after changing my card (was a Radeon 6950 Pro) was deleting the shader cache, I´ll reinstall it now to see if that helps. What wonders me is that the FPS do not exactly drop or rise during gameplay. When I am starring at a texture with my back to all the action going on... its around 35FPS independet of the settings. When I am in full action with 10+ mechs displaying and shooting... its like 25-30fps with drops to 20fps... Its the only game I encounter this though...

Edit: I am also running some easy-on-the-resources surveilance tools, i.e. SpeedFan, OpenHardwaremonitor and such to have an eye on temperature, fanspeeds and voltage etc.

Edited by Brixx, 07 November 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

I find reducing the resolution brings the largest FPS gains, by a much bigger margin than adjusting the in-game settings.

#7 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostBrixx, on 07 November 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

Edit: I am also running some easy-on-the-resources surveilance tools, i.e. SpeedFan, OpenHardwaremonitor and such to have an eye on temperature, fanspeeds and voltage etc.

Are CPUz and GPUz among them?
Could you post the usage of both components during some MWO playing?
Would be good, if we could see the usage by core on the CPU.

View PostRedshift2k5, on 07 November 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

I find reducing the resolution brings the largest FPS gains, by a much bigger margin than adjusting the in-game settings.

Agreed! But his hardware is powerful enough, that he shouldn't need to run on lower resolutions.

#8 Dazi_Shimazu

• Pip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 07 November 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

This is an obvious truth. However, you have tried turning all settings to the minimum and have you obtained the most recent drivers (beta even) as those are the ones that fully support the new R9 as it is a newer GPU I believe. I know the R9 280x is a 7970 GHz edition basically with different firmware. I think the R9 270x and the R9 290x are new GPUs all together and thus the new beta drivers would yield you the most current and generally best gain as prior drivers had little to no support for the 270 and 290. Also turn shading and shadows down completely as they are a huge hold back on MWO performance and shutoff post processing. I run a dual 7970 with trifinity in portrait mode and these things are essential as PGI needs to work on these poor areas on their end. I also have an AMD 8120 and had to overclock that from 3.1 to 4.5 so I didn't suffer on this game.

#9 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

sorry to say this, but your 270x wasn't much of a upgrade from your 6950. the 6950 is just barely out-performed by the 7850,

Posted Image

and as you can see in this chart, the 270x is barely stronger than the 7850(both getting under 25 fps in Crysis 3).

Posted Image

and regardless of what the others are saying, your hardware is NOT strong enough to max out MWO, as seen in the Crysis 3 1920*1080 chart I posted.

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 07 November 2013 - 06:22 AM.

#10 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

You can not directly compare Crysis 3 with MWO, just because they run on the same game engine.

I have run MWO on a HD-5850 in medium to high settings and got stable 40 FPS. I know people that run the game on a default clocked HD6850, which is close in performance to the 5850, on max settings right now. The R9-270x outperforms those cards easily enough.

Combined with the fact that, no matter the settings he is using, he is not getting decent framerates, I would not supsect his choice of GPU as the limiting factor right now.

#11 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

it may not be the main factor(personally I suspect that 3.6ghz cpu as the main factor), but it is not much stronger than the OP's previous 6950.

#12 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

I suspect the CPU as well, but not because of the frequency.

Even with a stock clock Phenom-II 955, I achieved better FPS then he does in higher resolutions. But my CPU used all four cores at 90 to 100 %. I suspect some throttling because of unused cores in this case, but we need a confirmation.

#13 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

It could also be a symptom of a bad PSU, it may still run you computer but may be holding it back. do you have a spare that you could try?

#14 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostShamous13, on 07 November 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

It could also be a symptom of a bad PSU, it may still run you computer but may be holding it back. do you have a spare that you could try?

are there other PSU tests? aside from multimeters i mean.

#15 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

I know this is fairly obvious, but make sure in your Windows Power Options you're running at high performance instead of power saver or balanced.

#16 Ocilfa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

This isn't really contributing anything, but your performance should definitely be better. I run a XFX 2GB 7850 and I never hit 20. It usually only dips down into the 30, but it's not often. Your card is the equivalent of something between a 7870 and 7950, so this is rather odd. What drivers are you on?

#17 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

I just wanted to drop in to say that with DX11 in test and so long as no more critical issues arise for DX11 next up is to do another performance pass, so just wanted to note it's on our radars for those still struggling with framerate.

#18 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Isn't the DX11 test this afternoon open to anyone?

OP, why not download the client and see how the game performs in DX11 vs DX9? That would go a long ways in spotting whether your bottleneck is on the CPU or GPU side. Your 270x (which performs the same as a 7950 on average) is more than adequate to max out MWO at 1080P; it's considerable overkill, in fact.

#19 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Anyone with an account, and the disk space for a whole second install

#20 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

OP, try dropping the graphics settings to lowest, play in windowed at 1024x768. If the framerate does not improve significantly, like 2-3 fold, then the bottleneck is in the cpu. MWO seems to not care much for AMD cores.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users