The Marauder Issue

125 replies to this topic

#1 Toast001

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Just because its a unseen doesn't mean they can't use the mech, i don't see why they haven't can't put out something. I would love the original design but i also want to pilot a mech with a iconic name of marauder. Why not just have a catapult remove its lrm packs, add some orion arms/jagermech/cataphract arms and call it a day. Even if its just a placeholder till a deal can be made with whoever holds the rights. Having a marauder is like 3rd on my list of things i want from this game, first being community warfare, then more game modes. I have friends that say the same thing, they want a marauder.

#2 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

They can't because harmony gold will do what they always do they will sue pgi and win or lose it'll cost pgi a small fortune to go to court.

Just cross your fingers that their suing hasbro proves to be more than they can handle and they go bankrupt letting the rights revert to the original owners, then pgi could could make a similar deal for the mechs based on robotech.

#3 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

No chance. Either it looks slightly like the original and HG get legal just to bully PGI into paying, or it looks nothing like the same and PGI reap the hatred and tears of all the Marauder fans.

#4 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 07 November 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

They can't because harmony gold will do what they always do they will sue pgi and win or lose it'll cost pgi a small fortune to go to court.

Just cross your fingers that their suing hasbro proves to be more than they can handle and they go bankrupt letting the rights revert to the original owners, then pgi could could make a similar deal for the mechs based on robotech.
What suit? What who? Details!

#5 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hasbro did a gi Joe cross over with transformers and made toys to go with it, one a f-15 with some extra bits on looked a little like the planes from macros so harmony gold did what they always do because they are patent trolls they sued.

Hasbro however didn't buckle and have decided to fight it out in court, which is bad news for HG as Hasbro has a bigger budget and didn't actually rip off robotech in the first place so the hope is they'll ruin HG.

That's the only way we'll have any chance of seeing the marauder, warhammer or riffleman.

#6 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

"Mr. Harmony Gold, sir... we was hoping' to have a word wit' you."
"Very well, gentlemen, what can I do for you?"
"Well ya see, it's about my little brodda. I love my little brodda. And he loves his little Battlemechs. You know what Battlemechs are, Mr. Harmony Gold?"
"You could say I'm familiar with them."
"We thought you might be, didn't we Vinnie?"
"Yeah, we figured you was familiar, you could say that."
"So my little brodda, he wants to play with his favorite Marauder on the computer, see? Da t'ing is, we heard you said he couldn't do dat."
"Well, we at Harmony Gold feel it's important to maintain the value and security of our intellectual properties and - "
"Oh, I see! I definitely do see. I do sympathize with you Mr. Harmony Gold. Vinnie here sympathizes with you too. He's sensitive, Vinnie is. Like my little brodda."
"Well, sir, I sincerely regret that your brother has been negatively affected by other's unwillingness to properly license our valuable IP. I wish I could help."
"That's very kind of you, Mr. Harmony Gold. Very decent. He's decent, eh Vinnie?"
"Yeah decent. You'd figure a decent guy like that could work out a deal."
"A deal! Boy, ya know, it's a good thing I keep Vinnie around, he's so smart. Here was me, thinkin' there ain't nothin' you could do for my little brodda, and bam! A deal, Vinnie says! What kinda deal, Vinnie?"
"Oh, me, I don't do no fancy shmancy deals."
"Ah, a decent guy like Mr. Harmony Gold here don't mind some lowly type deals, do ya?"
"Well gentlemen, I'm afraid I really can't commit to - "
"Oh, it's nothing really! Nuttin' to commit to, is there Vinnie? Just an understanding."
" Yeah, an understanding. Cause it'd be a shame if Louie's brodda couldn't play with his little Marauder, wouldn't it?"
"Yeah, I can just see 'im now, cryin' on da floor his pretty little kneecaps all dirty. He has such nice little kneecaps."
"Ya know, Mr. Harmony Gold, I bet you have pretty kneecaps to. I can just tell, I'm gifted like that. Do ya like your kneecaps, Mr. Harmony Gold?"
"I'm not sure I see how that's relevant to our - "
"Not sure how it's relevant! Haha, he's a real joker, ain't he? A joker with pretty kneecaps, eh?"
"A real master alright, Louie, real funny guy."
"Well ya see the problem, Mr. Harmony Gold, is dat I promised my brodda you'd let him play his Marauder. I don't like to be made no liar, neither. Vinnie knows, I ain't no liar. And it makes to mad to think that you might make me a liar."
"You wouldn't like him when he's mad, neither. Goes crazy. Starts hittin' t'ings!"
"Dat's right. I start hittin' t'ings. T'ings like kneecaps. Right Vinnie?"
"Yeah, you don't wanna be messin' 'round with Louie when he's mad."
"Are you threatening, me sir!?"
"Threatenin'? Threatenin' you? Haha, threatenin' you.... that's a good one isn't it Louie?"
"We wouldn't never dream of threatenin' you! Nah, we never make threats, do we Vinnie? We make promises. Kinda like the one I made to my little brodda."
"And we don't never break promises, do we Louie?"
"Nah, we don't break no promises. Not promises. Sometimes odder stuff gets broke - "
" - Like kneecaps - "
"Yeah, like kneecaps. They get broke. But no promises. Capice, Mr Harmony Gold?"

#7 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Daekar, you have officially just won the internet.

#8 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 07 November 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

Hasbro did a gi Joe cross over with transformers and made toys to go with it, one a f-15 with some extra bits on looked a little like the planes from macros so harmony gold did what they always do because they are patent trolls they sued.

Hasbro however didn't buckle and have decided to fight it out in court, which is bad news for HG as Hasbro has a bigger budget and didn't actually rip off robotech in the first place so the hope is they'll ruin HG.

That's the only way we'll have any chance of seeing the marauder, warhammer or riffleman.

Not lucky enough. Both sides dropped the case so nothing is gonna happen there.

http://www.animenews...-case-dismissed

#9 Calon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hasbro and HG have settled out of court.

http://generalsjoes....lusive-jetfire/

Damn, beaten to it!

Edited by Calon, 22 November 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#10 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostDaekar, on 07 November 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

"Mr. Harmony Gold, sir... we was hoping' to have a word wit' you."
"Very well, gentlemen, what can I do for you?"
"Well ya see, it's about my little brodda. I love my little brodda. And he loves his little Battlemechs. You know what Battlemechs are, Mr. Harmony Gold?"
"You could say I'm familiar with them."
"We thought you might be, didn't we Vinnie?"
"Yeah, we figured you was familiar, you could say that."
"So my little brodda, he wants to play with his favorite Marauder on the computer, see? Da t'ing is, we heard you said he couldn't do dat."
"Well, we at Harmony Gold feel it's important to maintain the value and security of our intellectual properties and - "
"Oh, I see! I definitely do see. I do sympathize with you Mr. Harmony Gold. Vinnie here sympathizes with you too. He's sensitive, Vinnie is. Like my little brodda."
"Well, sir, I sincerely regret that your brother has been negatively affected by other's unwillingness to properly license our valuable IP. I wish I could help."
"That's very kind of you, Mr. Harmony Gold. Very decent. He's decent, eh Vinnie?"
"Yeah decent. You'd figure a decent guy like that could work out a deal."
"A deal! Boy, ya know, it's a good thing I keep Vinnie around, he's so smart. Here was me, thinkin' there ain't nothin' you could do for my little brodda, and bam! A deal, Vinnie says! What kinda deal, Vinnie?"
"Oh, me, I don't do no fancy shmancy deals."
"Ah, a decent guy like Mr. Harmony Gold here don't mind some lowly type deals, do ya?"
"Well gentlemen, I'm afraid I really can't commit to - "
"Oh, it's nothing really! Nuttin' to commit to, is there Vinnie? Just an understanding."
" Yeah, an understanding. Cause it'd be a shame if Louie's brodda couldn't play with his little Marauder, wouldn't it?"
"Yeah, I can just see 'im now, cryin' on da floor his pretty little kneecaps all dirty. He has such nice little kneecaps."
"Ya know, Mr. Harmony Gold, I bet you have pretty kneecaps to. I can just tell, I'm gifted like that. Do ya like your kneecaps, Mr. Harmony Gold?"
"I'm not sure I see how that's relevant to our - "
"Not sure how it's relevant! Haha, he's a real joker, ain't he? A joker with pretty kneecaps, eh?"
"A real master alright, Louie, real funny guy."
"Well ya see the problem, Mr. Harmony Gold, is dat I promised my brodda you'd let him play his Marauder. I don't like to be made no liar, neither. Vinnie knows, I ain't no liar. And it makes to mad to think that you might make me a liar."
"You wouldn't like him when he's mad, neither. Goes crazy. Starts hittin' t'ings!"
"Dat's right. I start hittin' t'ings. T'ings like kneecaps. Right Vinnie?"
"Yeah, you don't wanna be messin' 'round with Louie when he's mad."
"Are you threatening, me sir!?"
"Threatenin'? Threatenin' you? Haha, threatenin' you.... that's a good one isn't it Louie?"
"We wouldn't never dream of threatenin' you! Nah, we never make threats, do we Vinnie? We make promises. Kinda like the one I made to my little brodda."
"And we don't never break promises, do we Louie?"
"Nah, we don't break no promises. Not promises. Sometimes odder stuff gets broke - "
" - Like kneecaps - "
"Yeah, like kneecaps. They get broke. But no promises. Capice, Mr Harmony Gold?"

If only it could actually go down like that.

#11 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Wrong. They "can't" (notice quotes) because the COMMUNITY will flip their lids if it doesn't look like the Macross imagery, and if it looks like the Macross images, HG will sue.

We've had a legal form of Marauder to use for TEN YEARS now, a DECADE. Probably almost half the lifetime of the current community, but the COMMUNITY itself by large refuses to accept it, or even make an iteration "based" from it because it's not the Macross image.

To be fair though, the art they used to introduce the new Marauder to us back in 2003 was pretty horrible, but I blame the artist for making it look like a bunch of twigs stuck in a lump of mashed potatoes, and not so much the design itself.

#12 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:43 AM

I'm surprised that with the amount of money PGI have made from this game, and (given the lack of actual significant feature improvements) the blatantly little they have reinvested into development that they couldnt just go and buy the rights to these mechs from HG and put and end to this once and for all.

Edited by NextGame, 08 November 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#13 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

Best we can hope for is a Hero Cataphract 1X with the traditional extra weapon hard point of a hero mech as an extra energy in the left arm, and both arms as the paddle shape, mirroring the right arm.

FYI, the Cataphracts right arm is from a Marauder.

#14 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

Daekar: Congrats on winning the internet.

#15 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostNextGame, on 08 November 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

I'm surprised that with the amount of money PGI have made from this game, and (given the lack of actual significant feature improvements) the blatantly little they have reinvested into development that they couldnt just go and buy the rights to these mechs from HG and put and end to this once and for all.

They can't buy what HG won't sell. They believe that license is their lifeline, they're not going to let it go.

#16 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 08 November 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

Best we can hope for is a Hero Cataphract 1X with the traditional extra weapon hard point of a hero mech as an extra energy in the left arm, and both arms as the paddle shape, mirroring the right arm.

FYI, the Cataphracts right arm is from a Marauder.

The Cataphract's legs are from the Marauder also. It's basically everything but the torso. Add the missing 5 tons to it, change the torso, clone the right arm, and you'd have a Marauder.

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

This has been invalidated by the Locust, Shadow hawk, Thunderbolt and Battlemaster being in the game, along with the coming Griffin and Wolverine.

#18 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostNextGame, on 08 November 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

It's not buy the rights from HG as much as who HG bought the rights from prior to turn Macross into Robotech.

#19 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

This has been invalidated by the Locust, Shadow hawk, Thunderbolt and Battlemaster being in the game, along with the coming Griffin and Wolverine.

The original images of the LCT, SHD, TDR, and BLR (and upcoming GRF and WVR) were never controlled by HG. They were properties of another animation studio. FASA removed their images at the same time as a 'preventative measure', but those other studios never made it an issue like HG did.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 08 November 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#20 DyDrimer

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

If we got the Marauder the forums would just whine about the CT being to big, or the arms being to easy to shoot. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users