#101 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostCathy, on 16 November 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

After the butchers job PGI's 3d modellers made of the battlemaster, and shadow hawk, and if they used this art, as a basis I hope we never see a marauder, I'm pretty sure the wolverine and griffin will be a big disapointment as well

That's your personal opinion. I love PGI's take on the LCT, SHD, TDR, and BLR. I wouldn't even mind FD's take on the 2003 TRO:Project Phoenix Marauder, although I'd prefer if it was a bit more like SS's Marauder. And seeing that SS's base design made it into an actual TRO, there is now some 'canon' basis for it. Because PGI doesn't license from Topps, it can't be an actual sourcebook design, FD would have to do a new take on the design (like he's already done with all of MWO's 'mechs already). But the key point is this: PGI can do a 'take' on the ReSeen Marauders. They can NOT use the Macross images.

#102 Slepnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 723 posts
  • Locationyelm washington

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

• Those legs! Just look at those hideous disproportioned legs! How would those even work? The lower leg is far too long and those joints would just snap. Also, see the next point:
  • Those arms! Why the hell do they hang so low? they're so feeble looking! They're not the reserved thin elegance some lights have, they just look like they'd snap right off in a stiff breeze! In relevance to the previous point they would interfere horribly with the ridiculous walking motion those legs would require to function! You'd be unable to have torso twisted whilst moving forward or arms across the torso because they'd collide and trip the mech!
  • The torso! It's so tiny! Plus, what's with the A10 Thunderbolt engines strapped to the side torsos? The mech's bipedal not jet-powered!
  • That torso gun! Why must it always be pointing to the sky? Is it articulated? Not according to the TRO, there's no actuators in the torso! We shooting planes down with ACs now?
  • That cockpit! Nowhere near big enough for my e-peen!
Perhaps because that render is a direct copy of what the macross GLAUG zentradi officers battle pod was. most of the torso is a cockpit for a 50ft tall genetically engineered super soldier to sit in............... http://www.macross2....cross/glaug.htm ............. its also completely modular as the legs detach and it connects to a fighter booster... http://www.macross2....aug-booster.htm Keep in mind HG actually had the balls to sue Bandai, the company who hold the macross rights in japan and created the entire series to begin with. HG lost in Japanese court and threated to sue in US court for distribution royalties(the Japanese court held that HG only had rights to distribute the original TV series not any of the sequals or their IPs). which is why Bandai gave them the finger and never imported macross zero, plus(OVAs), 7, or frontier for US consumption. realizing correctly that the fans would just import the Japanese releases.

#103 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 07 November 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

They can't because harmony gold will do what they always do they will sue pgi and win or lose it'll cost pgi a small fortune to go to court.

they settled out of court, rumor is HG got a pretty penny out of the ordeal while Hasbro was able to keep the toy line running.

#104 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

View Postgavilatius, on 17 November 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

they settled out of court, rumor is HG got a pretty penny out of the ordeal while Hasbro was able to keep the toy line running.

And HG can never sue Hasbro over the same thing again.

#105 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

While were talking Marauders I wanted to point this out this mech is in the MechWarrior 1 I am dead serious. Yes I am back tracking this far to solve this http://www.sarna.net...red_BattleMechs I will prove that this is true eventually I will make a video of it. I am complete failure at playing the game lol I am going to show you a youtube video instead shows up at 2:58

Edited by Whatzituyah, 19 November 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#106 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostWhatzituyah, on 19 November 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

While were talking Marauders I wanted to point this out this mech is in the MechWarrior 1 I am dead serious. Yes I am back tracking this far to solve this http://www.sarna.net...red_BattleMechs I will prove that this is true eventually I will make a video of it. I am complete failure at playing the game lol I am going to show you a youtube video instead shows up at 2:58

MechWarrior 1 was made before the Harmony Gold thing was considered an "issue"

#107 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

View PostLt XKalibur, on 13 November 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

In my opinion, this version of the MAD is WAY better:

Posted Image
  • dem legs!
  • dem arms (dem 80s shoulderpads!)
  • dat crazy-*** torso!
  • dat forward-facing AC!
  • I could just about squeeze my e-peen in that cockpit!

now my version:
  • dem pointy stilt sticks!
  • dem overlong arms (dem armours projected so high and not covering anything but making the arms larger cause they're nowhere inline with the torso!)
  • dat crazy-scrap parts gaffer tapped together torso!
  • dat fat side strapped AC making the ST out of proportion!
  • I could just get head shoted every time with such a fat frontal cockpit!
seriously the redrawns were mostly quick coverups for unforseen issues. they were mostly terribad.

#108 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

This is probably a better image of a new Marauder undergoing maintenance. It is done by Flying Debris aka Alex Inglacias.

Posted Image

#109 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostSlepnir, on 17 November 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Perhaps because that render is a direct copy of what the macross GLAUG zentradi officers battle pod was. most of the torso is a cockpit for a 50ft tall genetically engineered super soldier to sit in............... http://www.macross2....cross/glaug.htm ............. its also completely modular as the legs detach and it connects to a fighter booster... http://www.macross2....aug-booster.htm Keep in mind HG actually had the balls to sue Bandai, the company who hold the macross rights in japan and created the entire series to begin with. HG lost in Japanese court and threated to sue in US court for distribution royalties(the Japanese court held that HG only had rights to distribute the original TV series not any of the sequals or their IPs). which is why Bandai gave them the finger and never imported macross zero, plus(OVAs), 7, or frontier for US consumption. realizing correctly that the fans would just import the Japanese releases.
[/list]

I did not know that (don't know **** about the Macross series, myself), artwork makes a bit more sense now, but I still feel my criticisms apply for the marauder in terms of the Battletech universe

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 20 November 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

now my version:
  • dem pointy stilt sticks! reminds me of the TT Thunderbolt (which TBH i prefer to Alex's Phoenix version)
  • dem overlong arms (dem armours projected so high and not covering anything but making the arms larger cause they're nowhere inline with the torso!) No real comeback to this, but I like it. Form over function :)
  • dat crazy-scrap parts gaffer tapped together torso! I like it for that exact reason!
  • dat fat side strapped AC making the ST out of proportion! I often pilot a HBK-4G. That is NOT a problem for me, lol
  • I could just get head shoted every time with such a fat frontal cockpit! Meh, no point killing/dying if you don't look good while doing it! (See also: Timberwolf)
seriously the redrawns were mostly quick coverups for unforseen issues. they were mostly terribad.

I edited the above with my responses (bold text)

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 20 November 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

This is probably a better image of a new Marauder undergoing maintenance. It is done by Flying Debris aka Alex Inglacias.

*snip*

That's probably what his redesign for MWO would look like if it ever happens, then. I'm happy, I think that looks smexy!

#110 Borengar629

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 305 posts
  • Location3rd rock next to sun

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

If you only wanna play a marauder you can build a misery into a perfect ripoff.
MISERY / Marauder
You can even improve it a lot since you got 10 tons more weight. Then it looks a bit like that.
If it is a question of naming things or designs I'm pretty sure you're srewed at least for a while.

#111 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 20 November 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

Man, I saw that a long time ago.. dat thing is sexy..

#112 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostTrickshot, on 20 November 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

MISERY / Marauder
You can even improve it a lot since you got 10 tons more weight. Then it looks a bit like that.
If it is a question of naming things or designs I'm pretty sure you're srewed at least for a while.

You can build a Marauder on an Orion Chassis. I did it, it was a fun build.

#113 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostTrickshot, on 20 November 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

MISERY / Marauder

The Misery doesn't have fully moveable arms.

#114 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

now my version:
  • dem overlong arms (dem armours projected so high and not covering anything but making the arms larger cause they're nowhere inline with the torso!)

The original isn't so hot either.

Posted Image

The arms are so low, you'll never hit anything unless you are standing on a hill. The mech is all legs. The cockpit is like the Catapults, in front and dead center. Here's an action shot of it:

Posted Image

Same stick legs, weird arms. So the shot you are comparing it to isn't so bad.

#115 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

It all depends on the pose and angle, dunnit?

Posted Image
(source)

Edited by stjobe, 20 November 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#116 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

now my version:

Hmmm. While I dislike the execution, I actually think it has many good design elements. With just a few quick tweaks, I think it could have a lot of potential.
Posted Image

#117 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

yeah look guys i've had this argument a whole bunch of times leading up to a better depiction of marauders!

that aside the reseen marauder can work on it's own merits, it share a bunch of traits with mechs like the shadowcat for one, and that's just the problem it's got a bunch of cutbacks which keep it more inline with the 55-65 tonnage bracket. the unseen legs and arms were huge and the top mounted gun having such an overhang was epic in proportion and made me think yes that's the biggest of the heavy weights.

View PostNgamok, on 20 November 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

The original isn't so hot either.

Posted Image

The arms are so low, you'll never hit anything unless you are standing on a hill. The mech is all legs. The cockpit is like the Catapults, in front and dead center. Here's an action shot of it:

Posted Image

Same stick legs, weird arms. So the shot you are comparing it to isn't so bad.

this has form and character unprecedented, it's unique! i much rather see stuff like this along with a mongoose, cicada etc. there's just so many of the same-me design cues you can take in a game.

in short as most fans of the BT franchise have been voting on the unseen design ques, it holds more weight and interest than the separate standardized parts bodging that is the reseen. BTW Alex couldn't save the design, it's still an boxy underweight, but that's it for opinionated garbble. i've done enough of that and i'm sure you guys have read enough of that.

@ LT XKALIBER: nice to know you're set in your appreciation for the reseen, likeing something for being likeable is how to like things, you're winning the thread.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 20 November 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#118 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

And herein lies the problem with implementing the MAD. I love some of the reseens, I hate some others, and I have dislike of the unseen but respect for it being the first. Others have it the other way round. My views on the unseen Warhammer are the exact same as GalaxyBluestar's on the Marauder, to be fair, so I am hardly one to talk! (all other warhammers just look gash... cue the hypocrisy, lol.)
Implementing the MAD would split the community. Some would love PGI for it, some would hate them for ruining their baby. This is one of those arguments it is impossible to win due to this solely being opinion. There are no facts to argue; it's like explaining why I think that piece of "art" that's just an upside-down urinal is gash to my GCSE art teacher (although it CLEARLY is ubergash :ph34r:)
People will hate me for saying it, but maybe we should just leave the unseens... unseen? A lot less conflict that way.

#119 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

Marauder IIC Phoenix version restored my lust for the breed!
Posted Image

#120 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 20 November 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

yeah look guys i've had this argument a whole bunch of times leading up to a better depiction of marauders!

that aside the reseen marauder can work on it's own merits, it share a bunch of traits with mechs like the shadowcat for one, and that's just the problem it's got a bunch of cutbacks which keep it more inline with the 55-65 tonnage bracket. the unseen legs and arms were huge and the top mounted gun having such an overhang was epic in proportion and made me think yes that's the biggest of the heavy weights.

this has form and character unprecedented, it's unique! i much rather see stuff like this along with a mongoose, cicada etc. there's just so many of the same-me design cues you can take in a game.

in short as most fans of the BT franchise have been voting on the unseen design ques, it holds more weight and interest than the separate standardized parts bodging that is the reseen. BTW Alex couldn't save the design, it's still an boxy underweight, but that's it for opinionated garbble. i've done enough of that and i'm sure you guys have read enough of that.

@ LT XKALIBER: nice to know you're set in your appreciation for the reseen, likeing something for being likeable is how to like things, you're winning the thread.

it is unique, because it makes no sense. Mind you, I always like the marauder myself, until I started drawing them. It can't even actually stand as designed, let alone walk, or god forbid, run. And trying to pose it, etc, well, just look at the clumsy attempts in all the old Btech books. This fearsome mech made Lurch look like he would win dancing with the stars. And I admit, that has colored my view ever since.

Not of course, that giant stompy robots make any particular degree of sense as war machine, anyhow, lol.

That said, I do like the line and concept of the reseen marauder, and a few others. And I absolutely HATE the art on others (the Warhammer reseen is an abomination without equal). So yeah. Opinions.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users