Here It Is, The First "artillery / Air Strikes Are Op" Thread.

69 replies to this topic

#1 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

Yep, I'm calling it now.

Bloody airstrikes and artillery are OP - when used by premades.

Just last game on Tourmaline an obviously premade group called in 2-4 strikes within a matter of seconds on the same spot, and shredded my Stalkers armour down to 56%. Sure, there's a visual warning and a delay, but I couldn't leave the area in time (especially since they spaced them out) and the crazy amount of screen shake screws things up big time. Not to mention the only way to get out of the explosion was to walk directly into the path of said premade who then shredded me some more. Most of my team got hit too, and many could have moved in time if they noticed it, but the digusting lack of VOIP meant I had to choose between typing and death, or warning my team mates.

Now that arty / air strikes work well they're beginning to feel very pay to win.

I have no idea what can actually be done to fix this, but I'm definitely not paying 40k per match to try and hit them back. It's not very fun to play against at all.

#2 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

You were beat to the punch by like a week, and you are wrong to boot.

They're definitely usable in 12 man battles but they are not worth the money in 4 mans. Even if it helps their team win they'll end up winning at a loss. Only a fool would consistently pay 15 MC a pop for strikes, the only people I can see getting any use out of those are people on the fence about the idea of upgrading or not, and wanting a preview.

#3 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 11 November 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

Yep, I'm calling it now.

Just last game on Tourmaline an obviously premade group called in 2-4 strikes within a matter of seconds on the same spot, and shredded my Stalkers armour down to 56%. Sure, there's a visual warning and a delay, but I couldn't leave the area in time (especially since they spaced them out) and the crazy amount of screen shake screws things up big time. Not to mention the only way to get out of the explosion was to walk directly into the path of said premade who then shredded me some more. Most of my team got hit too, and many could have moved in time if they noticed it, but the digusting lack of VOIP meant I had to choose between typing and death, or warning my team mates.

Now that arty / air strikes work well they're beginning to feel very pay to win.

I have no idea what can actually be done to fix this, but I'm definitely not paying 40k per match to try and hit them back. It's not very fun to play against at all.

Uh, there's a global timer of 1 minute on their use. Is there a bug that's letting people launch multiple strikes simultaneously?

#4 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

I disagree, I've used both heavily recently and have come to the conclusion that they should cost 15k in their current state (note that I haven't gotten enhanced artillery)

also there is a shared timer... unless people found a way around it. the scenario you described shouldn't be possible

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

I think I was in that game if it was about 10 minutes ago because I saw someone talking about "premade" . I did use two of them but wasn't anything premade about it. Ya I I remember you started calling us all "c--ts" haha

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 November 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#6 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

It's definitely not pay to win because you can just buy them with monopoly money, ie. C-Bills.

If they're rolling pugs then they're income is so inflated that they actually need a C-Bill sink anyways.

I do notice that they're used a lot more often. In fact I don't even see any visual indication until I'm already hit and my armor is yellow / orange. It's only when I turn around to see what hit me until I realize it was some sort of artillery strike.

Edit: Ninja post by Monkey Lover - yeah, puggers use em to :P

Edited by Levon K, 11 November 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#7 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 11 November 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

I think I was in that game if it was about 10 minutes ago because I saw someone talking about "premade" . I did use two of them but wasn't anything premade about it. Ya I I remember you started calling us all "c--ts" haha

Yeah that was that game. Shared timer or not we basically got pounded by consecutive strikes.
I was not happy at all.
Did you end up winning? Because I pretty much rage quit after that.

#8 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

its not like u dont need some skill to pull it of
many times I still see those strikes miss
also had times where someone called in a strike and hit both sides in a brawl(great call on increasing the difficulty ingame ;-) )

a lack of communication is the problem, and I guess quite some confusion/fear/panic in PUG matches (how many times do I see 4 to 6 mechs retreat because they are taking fire from 2 mechs, and a third dual gaus that is so out of range that it does no damaga at all, but u hear the distinct sound of gaus hitting ya)

a lancemate of mine got headshot twice by artillary

2 matches tore us up good with 4 artillary strikes n 2 or 3 airstrikes, one match they won, one match they lost, why?
cuz wasting that much on 4 mechs that can run away in time, because they can talk to on another; yay for voice comm

but I've definatly seen what u r saying

if u wanna balance it someway:
increase the waiting time before u can call in another strike
leave damage as is, before it was useless, PGI wants u to spend some money on those buyaboe things u know

edit:
last week our lance tried to hold D5 on crimson strait (the small pass), and I know it shouldnt have been possible, but we where hammered 5 to 6 times by artillary and airstrike in under 2 minutes

maybe mc and C-bill strikes are for some reason not linked, or they broke patched it ;-)

Edited by Peter2k, 11 November 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#9 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 11 November 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

if u wanna balance it someway:
leave damage as is, before it was useless, PGI wants u to spend some money on those buyaboe things u know

I dunno, damage seems fine, just the visual warnings not enough. Maybe Betty could call out "Incoming Airstrike" or something so we have an audio cue as well.
I also wouldn't mind seeing a global limit of 2 strikes per team per game, or a much larger timer.
Mechs should also be limited to only being able to carry one of the two, not both or multiples.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 11 November 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#10 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 11 November 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Yeah that was that game. Shared timer or not we basically got pounded by consecutive strikes.
I was not happy at all.
Did you end up winning? Because I pretty much rage quit after that.

Yes we did, If you didn't see what happen there was 4 lights cap kappa we came up on the sides towards tetha but there was 5 or so in the open. We sat back marked and I let my artillery go. I think the light next to me did too. After that you moved ontop of the hill and I just shot you in the back .

I would agree increasing the waiting time might be the best way to go.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 November 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#11 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Arty FTW

It's still only marginally effective at breaking slow deathblobs or when things stalemate into peak-a-boo firing though.

And those of you who are reporting a bug in the timer actually use arty yourself?
The icon greys out as the timer begins and betty tells you when it's online again. I can't say I have seen it bug out in the few weeks since the buff.

#12 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

Feels like CB rain is all in PUGs.

#13 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I don't think a full minute timer is going. I just saw what was practically back to back arti strikes in the same valley choke point. About five of them. No idea which side launched them (or why really, no one was there after the first one. Denial of access I guess?).

Ihave only seen an Arti Strike kill a mech once. It was red CT and heavily damaged. My experiences to date would not lead me to feel that they over power the game in any fashion.

#14 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yep, I'm calling it now.

If you cannot move from an area when there is a 1minute global timer between them and eat four....that is more on you than the game, sorry.

#15 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

Yep, I'm calling it now.

Posted Image

#16 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

we bring a few during pug matches... quite funny when it works...

the other thing i'm doing now as a locust is have it as a weapon of spite... you shoot me i call in artie b4 i die... lawlz...

#17 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

keep moving :)

#18 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:08 AM

There's a 10-second global cooldown between consecutive strikes, if I recall. So you still stood stationary under barrage for about half a minute. Protip: if you see red smoke within 50, 100m of your mech, move.

I'd say that 40 damage per shell/bomb only just about makes it worth 40k CB for an upgraded strike (that's at least an extra 15k GXP). The hits are still random, and if you stand still or corner yourself, you've only bad decisions to blame.

Calling the enemy c-nuts and rage-quitting says more about your temperament than their skill or playstyle.

#19 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostMycrus, on 11 November 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

the other thing i'm doing now as a locust is have it as a weapon of spite... you shoot me i call in artie b4 i die... lawlz...

I do that too lol.

#20 Thorqemada

• 6,378 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

I have in several matches seen Strikes following each other in a matter of some seconds, 1 Smoke Signal was gone the other plopped up...wondered too what happens...without a log impossible to say.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users