29 replies to this topic

#1 Filter41

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Sadly a recent thread about that topic got archived: http://mwomercs.com/...he-wrong-color/

Thus once again: the color of the stock mechs or maybe better the mechs we all buy ingame is wrong. Wrong in different ideas as the archived posts tell us.
But for me it is wrong because the "basic green" is a GOOD camouflage! For sure not the best one IMHO too much for the beginning. Even more when you have to see, that the basic colors are buyable for around 1.25 mio C-Bills.

If PGI would change the stock color to a "dirty white" this would have lots of good consequences and only a few bad:

pros:
- better aiming on stock mechs because of higher contrast with most backgrounds (maybe not alpine peaks) > stock mechs get punished for their untouched status
- thus more ppl would think about camo and color as an aspect of MWO which open up more depth ingame
- out of this more ppl would buy colors and patterns (camo or self-expression), which would add a multiplicity to the lame, fogy and grey-green Mech World

cons:
- better aiming on stock mechs because of higher contrast with most backgrounds (maybe not alpine peaks)

easy solution: trial mechs have already a camo! So in contrast to the first bought stock mech it is easy to see for every newbie, that color makes a big difference in MWO!!!!

What do you think about this???? Should i write an official request to PGI???

tl,dr: color of stock mechs is a too good camo, therefor most players dont mind the paintjob of their mech. Lets change this and add a aspect of depth to the game! MWO is about individual tuning!!!

Edited by Filter41, 14 November 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#2 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

"HEY! EVERYONE! THIS THREAD DISCRIMINATES AGAINST THE POOR!!!"

#3 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostSer Barristan, on 14 November 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

LOL, nice.

This has got to be a troll thread. If not...WOW.

Seriously, I don't see why this is an issue? Solid olive drab is fine as a base color. How do people see this as an issue even worth brining up? If you want some bling, you pay. If you don't then you get the base olive color and some C-Bill purchasable ugly colors LOL.

BTW, to OP, Dirty white would be a good camo on Forrest Colony Snow, Alpine, Frozen City (Regular and Night). How is that any different than olive on the other maps. Plus, is olive a good camo on Terra?

Sorry OP, but I am suprised anyone was even upset about the base camo *shrug*

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 14 November 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#4 Filter41

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostSer Barristan, on 14 November 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

thx for your input! but it would be nice if you would read this:

View PostFilter41, on 14 November 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

easy solution: trial mechs have alredy a camo! So in contrast to the first bought stock mech it is easy to see for every newbie, that color makes a big difference in MWO!!!!

as you can easily see, everybody could pilot trial mechs with camo and earn C-Bills for the basic colors (basic green). Ergo: no discrimination!

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 14 November 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

Seriously, I don't see why this is an issue? Solid olive drab is fine as a base color. How do people see this as an issue even worth brining up? If you want some bling, you pay. If you don't then you get the base olive color and some C-Bill purchasable ugly colors LOL.

Thanks for this question, because i can draw out the point more clearly. This is an issue because your basic assumption is not true. Obviously "olive" or "basic green" is not bling bling. But it is a middle tone color on the greyscale. That means basic grey-green have no high contrast next to other middle tone colors, which are the most in enviroment and background.
Or turned: How many Mechs with "white" as main color you have seen in MWO? Just check and make some games... You gonna have the boring "basic green" and red and blue and black and so on. But you nearly never see mechs with white as main color!
The reason why is very simple: white mechs are like dart boards in a pub at 11pm. Everybody nails on it! Not without a point the mechs in thermal view are white! The enlightment effect of the color affects everybodys attention.

So did you got the issue? White is the worst color for a mech in mechwarrior.
Thats why new bought mechs should come delivered with it. For anything better you have to pay C-Bills or MC...

Edited by Filter41, 14 November 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

"let's paint all of our military assets white as the base color and send them out in field" said no military commander ever. I understand you're suggestion and the motive behind it. Make PGI more money by putting players into a position where they have more motivation to buy colors.

This, in my opinion, is the wrong way to go about it. Starting players off in a tactically inferior position until they spend some cash is bad. Even if it's a minor thing like being spotted easier on a map since you stick out more in an all white color scheme.

#6 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

I think all trial mechs should be hot frakkin pink! That way we can easily spot the noobs/masochistic pilots for avoidance/focus fire.... j/k

Really?? Olive drab is just fine as a base color. I kinda like it in fact.....

#7 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

It is bad enough that stock mech are not optimized with better weapon/engine/upgrade/skill load out, having them sticking out like a bright walking target will just further frustrate the player using one.

Bad enough there is a mandatory DHS tax, we don't need to impose a mandatory Colour Tax as well.

Meanwhile, I pilot my Wang like I have a death wish. :wub:
Posted Image

#8 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Posted Image

#9 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 14 November 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

Okay, where the hell is that from? That's both amazing and terrifying at the same time!

#10 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostJack Avery, on 14 November 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Okay, where the hell is that from? That's both amazing and terrifying at the same time!

You dont have clearance.

#11 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Here's a better suggestion:

Stock colours = faction related colours. So a team of House Liao mechs should all look like House Liao mechs, with identical colours and patterns.

Lone wolf / mercenary would be stock grey. Because grey is cooler than green.

#12 Filter41

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 November 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Here's a better suggestion:

Stock colours = faction related colours.

I like the Idea! If it will be like promised and prices of mechs and weapons gonna be related to planets and factions it would be a very sensful solution!

------------------------

Adressing some comments which try to bring this topic in miscredit:

You should understand that issue under the perspective arcade gameplay vs. complex tactical gamplay:

View Postxengk, on 14 November 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

It is bad enough that stock mech are not optimized with better weapon/engine/upgrade/skill load out, having them sticking out like a bright walking target will just further frustrate the player using one.

when you want MWO to be an arcade game give the ppl just perfect fitted mechs with inconspicuous camouflage and of course DHS!!!! Ppl gonna play some rounds and will be frustrated or not and when you ask them in a year or so: can you remember MWO? then they gonna say: ah that robo thing, right?
if you want MWO as long-lasting interesting and motivating tactical shooter, then you have to agree to lot of different levels of competition and progress. on these levels your own decisions are necessary and part of your tactical competence.
Let ppl go into the whole build-your-own-mech-thing. (and of course there should be an understandeble tutorial about it.) I can remember my sublime feeling when i bought my first DHS for the jenner, because i really really knew their value from playing without them! All that grinding for weapons, xl-engines, DHS, artemis, modules and finally camo is part of a non-causual gameplay. It rewards players efforts with noticeble improvments.
And when you ask somebody who gone through this in a year: can you remember MWO? Sure! Man i was so proud as i fitted my jenner in the perfect way for my playstyle! Every slot and every hardpoint was used. And i mastered him of course!

It is obvious, which way is my favourite...

Please dont confuse complexity with lag of fairness! To produce fair matches is not the task of mechlab! Thats whats the matchmaker is for!

p.s.:

View PostSandpit, on 14 November 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Make PGI more money by putting players into a position where they have more motivation to buy colors.

it is not about the money! lets raise the cadet bonus from 8 to 9 mio!!! then everybody can decide for themselve if one buys "basic green" or DHS or Artemis or... or... or... thats where the real fun begins!

Edited by Filter41, 14 November 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#13 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 14 November 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

Seriously, what is that from?

#14 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Camo is mostly pointless anyways when a giant red triangle pops up over your head unless you're covered by ecm.

#15 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostFilter41, on 14 November 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

when you want MWO to be an arcade game give the ppl just perfect fitted mechs with inconspicuous camouflage and of course DHS!!!! Ppl gonna play some rounds and will be frustrated or not and when you ask them in a year or so: can you remember MWO? then they gonna say: ah that robo thing, right?
if you want MWO as long-lasting interesting and motivating tactical shooter, then you have to agree to lot of different levels of competition and progress. on these levels your own decisions are necessary and part of your tactical competence.
Let ppl go into the whole build-your-own-mech-thing. (and of course there should be an understandeble tutorial about it.) I can remember my sublime feeling when i bought my first DHS for the jenner, because i really really knew their value from playing without them! All that grinding for weapons, xl-engines, DHS, artemis, modules and finally camo is part of a non-causual gameplay. It rewards players efforts with noticeble improvments.
And when you ask somebody who gone through this in a year: can you remember MWO? Sure! Man i was so proud as i fitted my jenner in the perfect way for my playstyle! Every slot and every hardpoint was used. And i mastered him of course!

It is obvious, which way is my favourite...

Please dont confuse complexity with lag of fairness! To produce fair matches is not the task of mechlab! Thats whats the matchmaker is for!

I think you misread my post.
I was never against mech customizing.

However, do you remember the feeling after purchasing your 12th? 13th? 15th DHS upgrade?
They are mandatory and that is why people refer to them as the DHS Tax.

What you propose is to have every mech start out in easy to spot high contrast colour. Anyone who don't want to standout have to purchase at least 1 colour to repaint their mech. Even though they only need to unlock 1 colour for life and have to apply the paint whenever they got a new mech, much like DHS upgrade.

View PostEnzane, on 14 November 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Seriously, what is that from?

Google Image suggest that it is from Final Fantasy XIV.

#16 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

bad idea.

I want those closed beta default colors back, though. Those yellow catapults, the silver centurions...

Every mech should have his own default color.

#17 Filter41

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

View Post627, on 14 November 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

I want those closed beta default colors back, though. Those yellow catapults, the silver centurions...

Every mech should have his own default color.

i didnt knew that. So you got the mechs like they look on the mechbay pictures?! Nice. Gives a just out of the box feeling. I would like that pretty much. Did PGI an announcement why they changed this??

#18 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

View PostFilter41, on 15 November 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

i didnt knew that. So you got the mechs like they look on the mechbay pictures?! Nice. Gives a just out of the box feeling. I would like that pretty much. Did PGI an announcement why they changed this??

yep. that's why they have different colors in those thumbnails. By the time they introduced the whole camo/coloring system every mech got that olive green.

I even tried to find resemble that yellow for my cats but it didn't work.

Edited by 627, 15 November 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#19 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostSandpit, on 14 November 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

"let's paint all of our military assets white as the base color and send them out in field" said no military commander ever.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 15 November 2013 - 04:12 AM, said:

An artist's rendition of Teddy, the UN (super lolz), and a fantasy religious army does not constitute precedence for painting military assets white..... For every white tank you show me, I can show you hundreds of drab green ones.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users