Things Have Been Awfully Quiet...

72 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Haven't heard much from the devs lately, the last 2 updates were pretty weak in terms of balance changes/new content and even the forums have slowed down a lot. Anyone got spies at PGI so we have an idea of what's happening?

Did Paul stop working on the game balance? Or, did he finally realize we need a complete overhaul of several mechanics and has to work non-stop now?

#2 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

You mean Paul, the guy who's redoing all the hitboxes, which is a major balance aspect of the mechs? Who posts regular updates on the subject?

Nope, haven't heard anything from him.

#3 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

I don't expect to hear much from the devs lately. They have a long to do liste, at least I hope so.

#4 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Bryan hasn't even used Twitter in a week. I fear for his health.

#5 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostBront, on 26 November 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

You mean Paul, the guy who's redoing all the hitboxes, which is a major balance aspect of the mechs? Who posts regular updates on the subject?

meh, I always lived with the current hitboxes. Personnally, it's no huge deal. What I don't understand is why they can't work on multiple parameters instead of just one. I mean, it's cool they fix hitboxes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't work on other balance problems.

#6 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostSybreed, on 26 November 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

meh, I always lived with the current hitboxes. Personnally, it's no huge deal. What I don't understand is why they can't work on multiple parameters instead of just one. I mean, it's cool they fix hitboxes, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't work on other balance problems.
You're assuming they aren't. This is just a case of them being transparent about them.

The hit box fix fixed the spider (it now is about as hittable as any other light, though slightly less so due to it's size, but given that's a mech quirk, that part is fine), has buffed the Awesome and Orion a bit, and should be helping balance out other mechs slowly.

Beyond that, you can't cry "they aren't talking or doing anything" and then dismiss what they are doing (and talking about) simply because "I've lived with that". You've lived with poor weapon balance, matchmaking, map selection, and lack of lobbies too, so what makes them or whatever you're upset about with balance more important?

#7 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm optimistically interpreting the silence as the lull before the storm... :P

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

Posted Image
Feces impacting the horizontal impeller!

#9 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostBront, on 26 November 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

You're assuming they aren't. This is just a case of them being transparent about them.

The hit box fix fixed the spider (it now is about as hittable as any other light, though slightly less so due to it's size, but given that's a mech quirk, that part is fine), has buffed the Awesome and Orion a bit, and should be helping balance out other mechs slowly.

Beyond that, you can't cry "they aren't talking or doing anything" and then dismiss what they are doing (and talking about) simply because "I've lived with that". You've lived with poor weapon balance, matchmaking, map selection, and lack of lobbies too, so what makes them or whatever you're upset about with balance more important?

well, you got me :P

The reason I stopped playing (because I did stop playing for the last 3 weeks) is because of the overrall "feel" of the game... doesn't feel like Mechwarrior to me, being that the customization is way too open and you can transform a Raven into a Hollander, for example. I'm someone who plays Frankenmechs and the game just punishes me for that. The meta sucks, the mechanics aren't well thought out, building a mech so it fits the meta isn't my idea of fun customization. The game IMO got so stale in the last 3-4 months that I don't see the point in playing anymore. I'm waiting on a magic patch that'll fix everything, but my hopes are pretty much dead.

Am I the only one who wants to get rid of those stupid cookie cutter builds and the pinpoint meta? Bring back stock loadouts to the spotlight ffs...

Those are all personnal reasons, and you might disagree with them, but you have to admit that still, overrall, things have been very quiet.

As for Bryan not posting on Twitter, the guy has been taking more vacation in the last 6 months than I've taken in the last 3 years.

Edited by Sybreed, 26 November 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostSybreed, on 26 November 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

well, you got me :P

The reason I stopped playing (because I did stop playing for the last 3 weeks) is because of the overrall "feel" of the game... doesn't feel like Mechwarrior to me, being that the customization is way too open and you can transform a Raven into a Hollander, for example. I'm someone who plays Frankenmechs and the game just punishes me for that. The meta sucks, the mechanics aren't well thought out, building a mech so it fits the meta isn't my idea of fun customization. The game IMO got so stale in the last 3-4 months that I don't see the point in playing anymore. I'm waiting on a magic patch that'll fix everything, but my hopes are pretty much dead.

Am I the only one who wants to get rid of those stupid cookie cutter builds and the pinpoint meta? Bring back stock loadouts to the spotlight ffs...

Those are all personnal reasons, and you might disagree with them, but you have to admit that still, overrall, things have been very quiet.

As for Bryan not posting on Twitter, the guy has been taking more vacation in the last 6 months than I've taken in the last 3 years.
How so? Except for my Jager40 My Mechs carry something from every food group it is allowed. I always have, an I have a winning record. ;)

#11 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 26 November 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

How so? Except for my Jager40 My Mechs carry something from every food group it is allowed. I always have, an I have a winning record. :P

Quoted for Justice.

As was pointed out in another thread.. or maybe this one, the 'meta' has shifted to more or less balanced builds. Something that many of us have been doing all along.

#12 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostBront, on 26 November 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

And this assumption is unreasonable how considering the track record? :P

I agree with the OP. They were active some time ago and Bryan posted great stuff about CW promising to return shortly ("coming weeks"?). Then he said on twitter "I'll have some nice info to share soon. Had a few weeks out of the office.". That was what, 2 weeks ago?

So basically I understand someone wanting to be a hippy and not so consistent with his/her schedules. But they continuously mix weeks with months or even years. Communication isn't just telling us trivialities of the next patch. Communication is about keeping us up to date about things that happen in the near future.

Again, no reasonable person would have a problem if they just said "Btw mechwarrios, I said this 2 weeks ago but it's still gonna take some time, I was on holiday/sickleave". Then we would know and it would be fine.

So things get said and then they never happen. And after this has happened 100x, one starts to wonder.

#13 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

if they spend all their time posting here, they cant work on the game, in which case one would hope that the silence is a good thing.

#14 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostSybreed, on 26 November 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

See? Now this is a perfectly valid argument as to what you're upset about. That said, waiting for the magic patch will be disapointing, as things are more likely to go slowly, particularly till UI2.0 comes out (since that's a barrier for a lot of issues).

On the other hand, Since a month prior to "launch", I've seen PGI talk more about what's coming, deliver tests on DX11 and UI2.0 (UI2.0 needed some work still, but sounds like another test is coming soon), offer peaks at upcoming content early, and mostly be social. I expect things to slow down a bit starting mid-novermber as folks take year end vacations and the holidays, but that doesn't surprise me.

(BTW, does it feel better to actually get the rant out?)

#15 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

What? The "for the good of the Inner Sphere" line wasn't a big enough clue?

Edited by Goose, 26 November 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#16 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Another thing, the person who works on hitboxes may have absolutely nothing to do with other areas. Just because you have 40 people on a team doesn't mean all 40 are capable, allotted, or directed to work on a specific area. Trust me, I think their communication skills are some of the worst I've ever seen when it comes to a professional company, right up there with EA (which is NOT a compliment)

#17 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 26 November 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

How so? Except for my Jager40 My Mechs carry something from every food group it is allowed. I always have, an I have a winning record. :(

It's because your not in the "Top-Tier ELO" dude. ;)
Sorry couldn't resist! :P

View PostRoadbeer, on 26 November 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

As was pointed out in another thread.. or maybe this one, the 'meta' has shifted to more or less balanced builds. Something that many of us have been doing all along.

It is about time! :P

#18 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

I don't know, Sybreed. I run Frankenmechs, too; mediums, much of the time, to boot. Both my K/D and W/L are positive. If that's a result of ELO, okay, but that should be the point of playstyle and performance.

Heat scale put the game in a place where you get out what you put in, as far as I'm concerned. There are plenty of bad runs and other frustrations, but I aim to have fun, and have it. Give MWO another chance.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostRF Greywolf, on 26 November 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

It's because your not in the "Top-Tier ELO" dude. ;)
Sorry couldn't resist! :P

It is about time! :(

Or maybe I am the best there is an I am just being humble! :P

As IF!!! :lol:

#20 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostBront, on 26 November 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

Pretty sure Paul himself isn't "redoing" the hitboxes; that's somebody else's job. He probably just tells them what to do. And let's be serious, directing that work would be cake:

Take one of the handful of threads that dissected the problems in nice pretty graphics and follow them to the letter. You wouldn't even have to know a thing about the game. It doesn't take two weeks of one guy's time to figure out the Awesome had a monster CT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users