587 replies to this topic

#261 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

View PostBlurry, on 18 November 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

Star cit has proved time and time again it will take advantage of the community and grub and grab as much money as they can. They will exploit any division for profit.
Sorry But they are as bad or worse than EA. Yes I have spent well over $600 on it but they have proven to be poorly run.

Ehm...

They have proven nothing yet. Basically, they have shown nothing yet.

SC could be a money grab, or the best thing since Warcraft II.

Only time will tell.

#262 IceGryphon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 272 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 17 November 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

War's never been so much fun.

Every time I see that picture...
Darnit Cannon Fodder.

#263 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

This thread would carry a,lot more weight if i have not seen the same arguments and opinions in pretty much every other game... No matter if it was doing good or bad.

But i do enjoy a good complaint thread... They show the lifers are still alive... It is when you see no complaint threads you know something is wrong.

#264 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 18 November 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

It doesn't matter the amount of players. Elo will match you v the players you are best matched against first, then fill the gaps from outside your level as needed. Statistically you should see some of the same players over and over if their Elo is close enough to yours.

This is paradox. The amount of players does affect the statistic.

#265 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

Nothing will change in this game. Even if they implement UI 2.0 and the beginning of CW this game will be still boring. Why? Much too less maps, Game Modes, depth... Its allways the same, and with 12 vs 12 its even more boring then in the 8 vs. 8 times. The graphic is low, most maps are boring as hell... I have given up the hope. I play Hawken and Star Conflict instead. Much more interesting with new features every month. I hope this game dies fast that another company tries it better.

#266 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostPrimez, on 18 November 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

But it does matter. Lets says kitzo elo is 1500 and there are 100 players playing. Out of those 100 players 12 are around his elo he will see those 12 players over and over again at a very high chance being they are around the same elo.

Now lets look at it if there was a larger player base and kitzo elo is still the same. Lets say 1000 players are playing right now and out of those 1000 players 250 are around his elo. He now has a pool of 250 potential players and the chances of him playing with the same player are much lower because of a larger playerbase.

Actually... If there are 100 players in a players Elo playing... there are "23" other players that stand a 1 in 4 chance of recurring pairings. ;)

#267 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 18 November 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

No, what I am saying is, that even if MWO would be perfect (it isn't, it feels like an early alpha...), it could not even reach one million players.

You need to compare it to other niche F2P games, like War Thunder, Navyfield or STO.

But PGI has said they have over a million players.
Accounts, that is.

#268 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostPrimez, on 18 November 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

But it does matter. Lets says kitzo elo is 1500 and there are 100 players playing. Out of those 100 players 12 are around his elo he will see those 12 players over and over again at a very high chance being they are around the same elo.

Now lets look at it if there was a larger player base and kitzo elo is still the same. Lets say 1000 players are playing right now and out of those 1000 players 250 are around his elo. He now has a pool of 250 potential players and the chances of him playing with the same player are much lower because of a larger playerbase.

Are they? Do they all hit play at the exact same time? Does Alphabetical order have an influence? Does Elo Attempt to repeat grouping players?

Those around his Elo... what if those 23 other players have his exact Elo. Out of 1000 that isn't a huge number of players, about 2% of the 1000 person player base.

View PostVassago Rain, on 18 November 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Accounts, that is.

I have 4 of those 1,000,000 accounts! ;)

#269 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostDaZur, on 18 November 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

The MW:O playerbase is nowhere near as saturated as other more mainstream F2P offerings... The reality is, MW:O is a niche genre and as such, the playerbase pool is relatively shallow compared to similar offerings.

What a lot of player like yourself experience is nothing out of the norm if you think it through...

Example Players: "Bob" and "Tom"

-Bob and Tom have similar Elo rankings.
-Bob & Tom both reside in North America
-Bob & Tom both play between 8PM & 12AM
-Bob & Tom both are grinding with their go-to mechs... so they tend to re-launch immediately upon returning to their mech bay.

Taking the above into consideration, Tom and Bob are an example of a perfect storm... A statistical rut where their Elo and play-styles predicate a perceptually disproportionate odds of playing / seeing each other.

Truth is... It's not nearly as uncommon as one would think. ;)

But if the game is so niche, and everybody on all sides know it's niche, then why is it okay that all we have so far for our niche game is mid 90s shooter gameplay, with about the same netcode?

Why didn't they make a rich niche game for their rich niche audience? Could it be because of their hubris, and because they knew everybody would grab deal mechs, mechs, mechs, MECHS!!!! to a point?

I'm not saying they realized they don't have to do any work to make a huge profit in the short term, but they really did realize how to make a huge profit in the short term.

Posted Image

Now 'short term' is done and over with.

Posted Image

Your move, PGI.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 18 November 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#270 IceGryphon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 272 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostDaZur, on 18 November 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Actually... If there are 100 players in a players Elo playing... there are "23" other players that stand a 1 in 4 chance of recurring pairings. ;)

You know I keep hearing about this ELO talk but, has anyone ever actually Seen their ELO Rank?
Does anyone have proof an ELO rank and Queue Exist?
Or must we take PGI's word that there is an ELO rank and queue like we did with 3rd person will never be implemented?
The burden of proof is on PGI to prove there is even an ELO rank and Queue.
I have believe from the beginning that it was another lie.

#271 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

*Hands Rain a cup of Coffey aPepparkaka and a lussekatt.*

I just don´t get how you have the energy to this angry at the game for so long... It must do a pretty number on your gastric system.

#272 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Accounts, that is.

Fair point... snarky intent notwithstanding. ;)

So let's say we have 1 million bonafide / active players in our player base. Let's work through the math for a moment...

Answer the following:
  • Since MW:O is a global offering, please provide the number of time-zones available to play in: _____________
  • Please provide the number of hours MW:O is available to play. (Yes, this is a trick question): ______________
  • What is the saturation level of each Elo ranking bracket: _____________
  • What is the average number of hours a player participates in a given session: _______________
  • What is the effect of regional play (NA -vs- EU.. etc.) and their percentage of contribution to the available playerbase pool: ___________
Point is... even if we could qualify 1 millions active players... the actual percentage of that pool being active and viable is but a fraction of that number... :D

#273 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 18 November 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

*Hands Rain a cup of Coffey aPepparkaka and a lussekatt.*

I just don´t get how you have the energy to this angry at the game for so long... It must do a pretty number on your gastric system.

I'm not angry, but quite the opposite.

It's called schadenfreude.

#274 BillTheTurnip

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 18 November 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

just in-case anyone needs the pronunciation.

#275 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostIceGryphon, on 18 November 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

You know I keep hearing about this ELO talk but, has anyone ever actually Seen their ELO Rank?
Does anyone have proof an ELO rank and Queue Exist?
Or must we take PGI's word that there is an ELO rank and queue like we did with 3rd person will never be implemented?
The burden of proof is on PGI to prove there is even an ELO rank and Queue.
I have believe from the beginning that it was another lie.

Have you ever been exposed to a F2P game that provides exposed Elo and or rankings?

It's hostile, petty, judgmental and is tasty kibble for the e-peen swinging elitists...

There's a lot in life I choose to believe in despite never seeing, hearing or touching it... MW:O's Elo is just another one of those "faith" mechanisms... ;)

#276 Time at the Position

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 18 November 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

No, what I am saying is, that even if MWO would be perfect (it isn't, it feels like an early alpha...), it could not even reach one million players.

You need to compare it to other niche F2P games, like War Thunder, Navyfield or STO.

Warthunder has 46,000 players in game at the current time, please don't compare AAA F2P games to MWO it makes you look foolish.

#277 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostBillTheTurnip, on 18 November 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

just in-case anyone needs the pronunciation.

And looks like this:
Posted Image

#278 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

Accounts, that is.

It almost looks like they almost were able to get hold of their whole target audience.

And then disaster struck.

View PostTime at the Position, on 18 November 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Warthunder has 46,000 players in game at the current time, please don't compare AAA F2P games to MWO it makes you look foolish.

But it is still a niche game.

#279 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

You're one of those guys that would be inclined to ask the paramedics to move the body close so you can get a better look as you pass a horrific accident...

Considering your general forum disposition... you are definitely schadenfreude. ;)

#280 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

If so.. you are doing it wrong... Because you come off like a bitter, snarky and violated person. So now eat your digital lussekatt and become a more harmonious person.

Any way...

To get back on topic.

From a system standpoint the game is doing better then before and if they are telling the truth (take your pick) things are mocing forward. Fast enough you ask.. Things can never move fast enough... But i have seen worse.

From a player PoV ofc things look a bit more bleak... Not sure if it was lack of knowledge or lack of experience but the dev team was way to optimistic and open-hearted to begin with. But i saw the same thing with CoH and it did very well despite the rocky start.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users